Dont set science to 0%, we need Mono asap 4 14.29%
Build some science city's and Xin it 8 28.57%
We dont need no Science city's 1 3.57%
Keep popping those huts. 9 32.14%
No more new huts, give AI a chance 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23, 2003, 16:52   #1
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 06:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sience 450BC
First of all let me appologise for posting this so late.
My puter is acting up and the people I work for doesnt seem to get the concept of 'having a life'

We are in Mon but our tech still sucks

It will take us some 35 turns to reach Mono.
But the good thing is that we dont need crusaders yet as it is highly unlikely that other civ's have feud yet

I therefore suggest the following plan:

* Set sciene to 0% and keep popping those huts, we might find Mono and even if we get another tech the difference isnt that big between 35 or 40 turns to the next tech.

* In the meantime try and build up some city's that have high trade potential and focus on military expansion.

*Once we have a couple of size 5 city's with library's in them change science to 70% again and Xin it
(For those of you that dont know this set all workers to scientists)

Old June 23, 2003, 17:21   #2
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 23:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I concur. Xinned cities don't have happiness issues, either. Pump some Settlers into a city(s) with a library, bump it up to size 8, and we should get some decent science. We don't need to road up the grassland squares to make this work, either, so we might want to do this at a city site without much improved land around it (why waste the improved land?).

Also, we don't need to set the science rate to any particular level to do this (cf. No science succession games). So, we could have a high tax rate (for cash) or luxury rate (for celebration and the extra arrows) - and 1 or 2 science cities pumping out beakers.

Drawback: Republic. If we decide to go Republic, the shield support will kill the Xinning (taking workers off tiles causes shield deficit).

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 23, 2003, 18:27   #3
JJJ
Civilization II Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 22:23
I agree with atawa. With regards to republic, however, I believe we should get it ASAP, after doing the neccessary irrigation and roading. (Is that a word? Roading? Oh well.)
Old June 23, 2003, 19:32   #4
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Give the AI a chance?

Heresy.
Old June 23, 2003, 23:10   #5
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

/me notes that the Canadians (present company included) are taking over the thread

I think that we can afford to reduce the science rate to 30% and increase taxes to 70% (max) until such time as our cities have increased in size so that we are getting some decent trade and until we have built some libraries.

Definitely keep popping huts though, until we get invention, that is the key to our science, and I would like us to get as many techs as possible from huts until we no longer have that as an option.

Sparrowhawk
Citizen
Old June 24, 2003, 14:14   #6
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
* Sparrowhawk notes that the Canadians (present company included) are taking over the thread
It's all part of a plot for Canadian World Domination, I tell you! FIGHT BACK AMERICA!

Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old June 24, 2003, 14:36   #7
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder

It's all part of a plot for Canadian World Domination, I tell you! FIGHT BACK AMERICA!

Canada? Wanting the world? We would just ask if they mind, and if they don't, we'll just compain!
Old June 24, 2003, 14:53   #8
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
notes that the Canadians (present company included) are taking over the thread
shhh. That's why we have stealth nation technology- let america take all the blame and criticism, while we reap the benefits.
Old June 24, 2003, 15:20   #9
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18 shhh. That's why we have stealth nation technology-

Back on topic, I'm against going for rep, this is a conquest game so why waste any resources on science?

We allready have all the tech we need to crush our enemy's But after one of them discovers Feud they will no doubt share it all around This will make us need Crusaders to rid the world of those pests.

So lets concentrate on war for a while untill our science city's are build up, but should either japs or greeks get feud we should speed up our science and get Mono asap, possibly with the help of Rep.

( I would think japs wont live that long though )
Old June 25, 2003, 09:23   #10
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 00:23
Quote:
Back on topic, I'm against going for rep, this is a conquest game so why waste any resources on science?
Republic would not be just for the science, But for the growth as well.
This is a large map and it will take many units to traverse it and educate the heathens. The Japanese have already proven willingness to receive enlightenment so we should crush then ASAP. The Greeks too have volunteered for re-education. However we can't expect to attack on two fronts with so few units and of course while we may remain idle in the Science arena the AI will not. We have the upper hand on unit strength and tech, let’s press it now while working to maintain it, as well as overcome our weakness. (population/support)
Old June 25, 2003, 09:35   #11
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

I am also agsint the Republic, because once we get into a war, it will be roit central! Hell, ever in my game,(which I'm a builder,) I'd NEVER go for Republic, because the unhappiness!
Old June 25, 2003, 13:01   #12
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

But there is a transition, from the older units to fresh vet crusaders to consider.

During this transition, we could either disband our older units or make sure they are kept in our cities during WLTkD.

Of course, this would have to happen after Monotheism as well, when we can build cathedrals.

Seems like Monotheism would really help us now.
Old June 26, 2003, 05:59   #13
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Republic really isn't that restrictive as a war government outside of the senate (and the UN can temper that) - you are allowed 1 unit by default outside of the city. Building (or in our case caputuring) JS Bach's allowed for 3, and building a police station or capturing Women's Suffrage allows for unlimited units outside the city - and you still get the growth and trade of a rep govt.

Granted, earlier in the game, we don't have the options of some of those, but i don't think you should always out of hand discard it as a war govt
Old June 26, 2003, 16:25   #14
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
on a big map with units far out, i wouldn't consider repulic for this kind of game. The key now is to stay on the offensive as long as possible....
Old June 26, 2003, 17:36   #15
atawa
King

We could do rep if we had a couple of big shield city's where we can rehome our army before sending it out.
Old June 26, 2003, 18:15   #16
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
don't forget that the AI will mimic our research rate so if we turn it to 0 so will they.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 26, 2003, 19:01   #17
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

It's also worth remembering that if we can find the purple civ, we can gift them techs and improve our own research rate that way.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 26, 2003, 23:24   #18
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
see, there is no need to go republic yet.....

war on, and when nothing is left to do, keep warring