Phat p30p5 r0x0rs, d00d
Old June 24, 2003, 11:16   #62
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This article makes some interesting points about how long life expectancy is in various european countries and, more interestingly, how long people sepnd in bad health.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3016408.stm
Old June 24, 2003, 11:20   #63
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 06:23
the article is wrong.
not so rare for the bbc.

check eurobarometer

also brit medical care system is worse even than the greek one, below 24rth position in "western countries"

first is belgium
Old June 24, 2003, 11:26   #64
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Also to correct the bbc

[10] GREEKS SCORE HIGH ON HEALTH, LONGEVITY IN EU
Athens, 20 March 2001 (14:13 UTC+2)
Greeks are among Europe's longest-living and healthiest peoples, according to results of a study conducted by the European Commission.

Specifically, Greece has the highest average life expectancy free of disabilities - 63 years for men and 65 for women -, with the Portuguese, German and Dutch suffering the most from various ailments at those ages.

In terms of longevity, Greeks rank second among the EU, topped only by the Swedes, with an average life expectancy of 76 years for men and 81 for women.

A.F.

http://www.hri.org/news/greek/mpab/2...0.mpab.html#10
Old June 24, 2003, 11:32   #65
Bereta_Eder
Settler

and here's one of the many explanations.

http://www.mindspring.com/~hc2k/who.html
Old June 24, 2003, 11:38   #66
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
I am not a big fan of Greek food so I don't see how they can be fat!?

At least in America we have mastered the fine art of deep frying, which explains a lot. Yeah, the midwest is huge because the have learned not only how to deep fry stuff, but have also put whatever it is (meat, cheese, bread) on a stick! They are geniuses!

California loves it's junk food. I bet you that when Disneyland decided to serve only turkey burgers that their admissions dropped! I went to the boardwalk in Santa Cruz two weeks ago and had a corn dog, Icee, hamburger, fries, funnel cake, and a churro... Then I ate dinner ... and I am not fat, nor a big eater..

Also, beer can really do a number on everyone, which explains Germany and about half the US...

Eat, drink, and be fat!!! I would rather get fat then to forgo all the great pleasures of food.
Old June 25, 2003, 06:48   #67
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Atahualpa
About the children. Well thats a sad thing. Some parents do not care about this. There is also the tendency (and I was raised up with this) to have to eat everything that got served to you at lunch or dinner. I think thats the most stupid thing to learn children to but they do it and if you dont eat up you are a bad child. Arrgh this stupidity strikes me ever again!!!
This is the very reason of my slight overweightness, along with my hatred for sports. I learned to finish dishes, and I now almost can't imagine leaving food uneaten. Heck, I even finish other people's dishes because I can't stand seeing food going to waste (btw, the only thing tht saves me from sheer obesity is my boycott on fast food and sodas).

Children are overweight because they get too many sweets and sodas at every time of the day, and because their parent's cooking sucks (pasta, fries and fat meat, on a daily basis, means child obesity nearly for sure, especially if they drink coke along this, and eat Snickers during the day).
The parents must learn that children need some extent of dietary discipline. If they folloy children's yhhims for a soda, a sweet or a burger, parents actively participate to their children's destruction.

Besides, giving children other dishes than what they first expect (i.e burgers or similar crap) is a form of education. I'm sure you all hated some of your current favorite dishes when you were children, and you learned to enjoy them only by eating them several times. Letting children eating only burgers is letting them in ignorance.
Sure, the school's canteen can and should provide more varied food. But unlike you pour auite some money in them, the food there tastes crap. Personally, the school's canteen has taught me only one thing : that spinash is atrocious

Another thing which is cohesive with the evolution of society is the flexibility of workhours. Many people cannot serve lunch or dinner at a fixed time because their workhours change too often. Too important variations in lunch hours is bad for your diet. Especially once again for children, who are dependent on their parents for food.

In short, overweightness / obesity sure comes from our sedentary lifestyle, but mostly comes from the fact that we don't see our daily food as something that needs efforts.

In this regard, there was some culture shock when my French friends and I came in Germany : our German roommates couldn't understand that we spent 30min - 1 hour cooking our dinner. That we put so much effort into our daily dinner like if it was a celebration baffled them. They only prepared some quick'n easy dinner, like every other meal of the day. I've noticed the same pattern in all German families yhere I've stayed (i.e, it's not merely a lazy broke student's thing). I think the terrible food habits of Germany explains why it ranks so high. Besides, I think France ranks low precisely because many French people consider food as an important and enjoyable thing, even on a daily basis.
Old June 25, 2003, 07:10   #68
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

who-ever wrote that article is a moron , he should spend some time in Greece and see for himself in the streets , ....

maybe its because they counted all the brits , germans and belgians on a hot summer day , ....

have a nice day
Old June 25, 2003, 13:54   #69
zapnic
Settler

Local Time: 04:23
hey finnish people's are top rank in ice-cream eaters of world