Old June 24, 2003, 08:45   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Trappings of War: Volume XVII
The Trappings of War: Volume XVII
An UnOrthOdOx View of the Glory of War

I opened my eyes to find myself alone. Startled, I scrambled in an attempt to get to my feet when my hand brushed up against a familiar object. Glancing down, I noticed my flail. How had it gotten here? I thought I had left it on the boat? Staring out into the darkness I could not make out my surroundings, only the hardness of the ground beneath me. I staggered to my feet and lightening split the sky illuminating the area for a brief moment. I was in the middle of a vast wasteland, no markings to be had. A horse brayed nervously somewhere behind me, but as I turned to see, a torment of wind and rain suddenly arose, blinding my eyes and forcing me to turn from its wrath.

A shiver ran up my spine. This was all too familiar. Glancing down, another lightning bolt illuminated the ground and I could see I was once again wearing a strange suit of armor. My heart was racing, the fear welling inside of me. I took off running, from what I did not know, but I had to escape. In my haste I stumbled and fell to the ground.

I could feel a presence behind me, the feeling of a hundred eyes gazing upon you. Not wanting to look, yet unable to resist, I saw my friends standing there, horrified, unable to look upon me for the disgust of what they saw. A single ray of sun broke through the clouds and I could see the bright red upon the ground around me, and new without looking that I myself was covered. I could smell it upon me, I could feel the warm wetness of it becoming sticky as it dried upon my hands. I knew what lay behind me, and I had no desire to face it again, yet could not help but turn to make sure.

There was my dragon. I could hear his labored breathing, could see as the life slowly pumped from the wound which I had given him, could see the pain reflected in those eyes. The eyes that seemed to question the purpose of such violence, that reached out and held me captive. The eyes that paralyzed my entire body. As I sat there in their grip, I could feel the dragons pain, or rather could feel it as his pain became my own. Each of his breaths became my own, his life blood pouring upon the ground became my own. I could feel it pumping out from me, could feel it’s warmth run down my body, and all the while I could not escaped from those eyes until I almost wished to not escape, to simply lie down and become a part of the dragon if for only that split moment before my inevitable death…

“UnOrthOdOx!!!” A voice rang out and I was startled back from my grave by a violent shaking.

“Wha? What the hell!” I yelled as I pulled myself free from the grasp.

“Are you alright? You appeared to be at death’s door just there. What happened?”

It was zeit, I now knew. Glancing around I saw that I was still within the oasis, and that we were preparing to once again move out, yet the moon still shown brightly across the pool. “When you find out what happened, you tell ME, ok? It seems that when I killed that dragon, I have been cursed to be haunted by it’s spirit for the remainder of my days.” I stated shortly.

“You? You killed a dragon? How? When?” His eyes were wide with interest.

“Believe me, THAT is a long story. Perhaps one day I will even put it in writing in order to share it with the future, but not today!” I laughed, not wanting to think of it more.

We were quickly mounted and once more the hood was placed upon my head and we were off. It did not take long before I could hear the sounds of civilization in the distance. Carts traveling, peasants murmuring at the strange sight of a hooded man riding in the custody of the military. We were clearly on the outskirts of some town, or at the least on a road. I only had a moment to wonder at the sounds of everything when zeit reached over and removed the hood.

I had never before seen such a large city. Everywhere I looked there seemed to be people rushing off to tend to their business. At once, though, the very sight made me long for the quiet of my own little town of Camulodunum. I was brought before some large building and told that I could find a hot meal and a bath there to prepare for the meeting that evening and told I would be sent for when it was time.

“Greetings good sir! Come from Glory of War, do you?”

Seeking the source of the voice, I could find no sign of where it may have come from.

“Down here, good sir!” I looked down and only saw a small dog who had apparently bee branded with some sort of shield in the center of his forehead. Perhaps the trip was longer than I thought, for now I was obviously hallucinating. I sat down and began to wonder where I could find some water with which to clear my head.

“Forgive me, how rude of me. Introductions should come first. My name is Shiber, and I shall be your guide to the city.” The dog held out a single paw, apparently waiting for a handshake.

First giant chickens, now talking dogs? What sort of strange land WAS this? What did I have to lose, though? Accepting the paw, I shook his hand. “Shiber, pleased to meet you, I am UnOrthOdOx, King of Camulodunum, and ambassador to Gathering Storm on behalf of the Glory of War.”

“Very pleased to meet you, now, what would you like to see?” Shiber answered with what was either a snarl or a smile.

“Um, actually, I really need to get to work and get organized for tonight’s meeting, if you could just point me towards some parchment and writing…”

“Books! Books, you want books!? I’ll take you to books, right this way, come on, come on!! Books are this way!” He blurted out as he jumped excitedly.

It looked like I was going to have a tour one way or the other. Why then did I have a sinking feeling that this tour would include every tree in the city?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 24, 2003, 08:45   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Just a little piece of trivia.

This just hit 40 pages in word....

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 24, 2003, 10:56   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
40 pages... wow.

Good job.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 24, 2003, 14:32   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 26, 2003, 07:57   #5
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
Re: The Trappings of War: Volume XVII
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
“Books! Books, you want books!? I’ll take you to books, right this way, come on, come on!! Books are this way!” He blurted out as he jumped excitedly.

It looked like I was going to have a tour one way or the other. Why then did I have a sinking feeling that this tour would include every tree in the city?

You're lucky I didn't start babbling about Panag.
Or are you saving that for the next chapter?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 26, 2003, 15:12   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

wow , great stuff uno , cant wait for no 18

have a nice day
Old June 26, 2003, 16:13   #7
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I KNEW IT!!!!
Panag has some kind of crawler bot that searches the entire of Apolyton for threads where his name is mentioned.
I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew it!!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 26, 2003, 16:35   #8
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I KNEW IT!!!!
Panag has some kind of crawler bot that searches the entire of Apolyton for threads where his name is mentioned.
hi ,

*duh*

for your information , no , ......

unlike some of us , .....

bye
Old June 26, 2003, 17:14   #9
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
I KNEW IT!!!!
Nah,

Panag and I just have a mutual respect for each other. He's just following the story along, it's also one of the few sources of anything aproaching news one can find on this game.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 26, 2003, 17:19   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Nah,

Panag and I just have a mutual respect for each other. He's just following the story along, it's also one of the few sources of anything aproaching news one can find on this game.
hi ,

what , do we , .... ...... yes we do

well you are right , this could be done each week or twice a week and it would not be boring , .....

but then again , what ya want , uno wrote it , .....

since there are no longer serious newspapers around like the good old jungle gazette , .....

, maybe it should be reported to apolyton news , ....

have a great day
Old June 26, 2003, 17:21   #11
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Yeah, sorry about that paper thing...

I am finding this more entertaining for me. I hope to have Nuclear Master soon take over the Herald over there. We will likely just start fresh with the new elections...

And of course you have my respect. Bouncing ideas off you gave me great ideas in DemoGame I....like the formatted orders, the directory, basically most my vice-presidency...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 26, 2003, 17:22   #12
Shiber
Emperor

UnO, Of course I wasn't serious. I added the extra smilies just to emphasize that.

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
unlike some of us , .....
Another cryptic remark among many.
You're saying that I'm using a crawler bot to scan through Apolyton? Or that someone else does? I honestly don't understand you anymore.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 26, 2003, 17:28   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about that paper thing...

I am finding this more entertaining for me. I hope to have Nuclear Master soon take over the Herald over there. We will likely just start fresh with the new elections...

And of course you have my respect. Bouncing ideas off you gave me great ideas in DemoGame I....like the formatted orders, the directory, basically most my vice-presidency...
hi ,

huh , thanks

well it is entertaining , really , as most of your stories , .....

maybe a cartoon or two , or an other graphical pic and its complete

you keep it short and intresting and thats what makes it so great

have a nice night
Old June 26, 2003, 17:32   #14
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Yeah, can't remember the exact thread, one of the many complaining of my job when MrWIA went AWOL. You were the only one to actually TALK about the problem instead of just complain. I've seen many complain with the way you speak, but I have spent my whole life working with people who speak broken english so I have no trouble and we had a good discussion and came up with the orders threads and new stuff for the directory.

I've never forgotten that. Tried to nominate you as a justice there and then, but was overruled...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 26, 2003, 17:56   #15
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
maybe a cartoon or two , or an other graphical pic and its complete
I absolutely agree. Make an e-book out of it! I'm sure that Aro will be glad to make some cartoons, and I volunteer to do the headlines and such and the rest of the Photoshop work (the graphical work that doesn't involve drawing, which I suck at).

Quote:
Tried to nominate you as a justice there and then, but was overruled...
I'm not sure how well Panag would have done as a justice. He didn't have much regard for the rules in the ISDG... that's why they finally kicked him out, after they almost kicked him out twice before.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 26, 2003, 18:00   #16
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, can't remember the exact thread, one of the many complaining of my job when MrWIA went AWOL. You were the only one to actually TALK about the problem instead of just complain. I've seen many complain with the way you speak, but I have spent my whole life working with people who speak broken english so I have no trouble and we had a good discussion and came up with the orders threads and new stuff for the directory.

I've never forgotten that. Tried to nominate you as a justice there and then, but was overruled...
hi ,

huh , keep it up and we might share a bottle of old kentucky bourbon , ...

well actually if people complain about others , the first Q they should ask is " have i not done this " , .....

but anyway , we should not go this way , ......

and in the end panag had to rule anyway on a very important deal , ......

say, what about make this a one a week thing , ....

have a great day
Old June 26, 2003, 18:00   #17
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

See the new edition, guys...I've got the word document attached...we can start working on that.

Aro has been busy lately, but he is researching ancient pics of sea dragons to make a good design of one. I have an idea for a cover if someone is interested on tackling it...

panag,

I don't know if I can commit to one/week, but I am getting them in fits and starts. I already have 18 up, and 19 is likely going to be out tomorrow just to catch me up with the game a bit, then about 1/week until anything 'new' happens that requires more writting or I get behind/inspired again.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; June 26, 2003 at 18:05.
Old June 26, 2003, 18:03   #18
Shiber
Emperor

Sure, I can try.
Tell us your idea.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 26, 2003, 18:04   #19
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I absolutely agree. Make an e-book out of it! I'm sure that Aro will be glad to make some cartoons, and I volunteer to do the headlines and such and the rest of the Photoshop work (the graphical work that doesn't involve drawing, which I suck at).

I'm not sure how well Panag would have done as a justice. He didn't have much regard for the rules in the ISDG... that's why they finally kicked him out, after they almost kicked him out twice before.
hi ,

shiber , why dont you say the truth , .....

first of all you have no idea of what went on , as vp i ruled as justice also on a very important thing , ..... so please , ....

second , panag was not kicked out , panag left , .... thats something totally different from what you write aint it , ......

should you not be crying now " stay on topic " , ....

bye
Old June 26, 2003, 18:08   #20
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Sure, I can try.
Tell us your idea.
I'll find the references needed and post them for ya...

A simple battle standard and flail laying on a battlefield, but I got to find the standard I want updated...(or rather a way of transfering the standard...it's on my playstation right now...)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 26, 2003, 18:17   #21
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
second , panag was not kicked out , panag left , .... thats something totally different from what you write aint it , ......
Yes, you did leave. After several consuls and most participants wanted to kick you for periods of time ranging from about a week to over a month, and some wanted you perma-banned from the group.
Leaving then was like saying "You can't fire me! I quit!". It changes nothing; several high-ranking officials wanted you perma-banned, everyone who commented publicly wanted you at least kicked for at least a week and your continued defiance to follow the same rules that everyone else follows with no complaints and statements that your posts and observations are so important that you should be allowed to post them in the topped threads that are otherwise reserved for official posts only just infuriated your teammates even further.

Quote:
should you not be crying now " stay on topic " , ....
No, usually that's your job. If I remember correctly, you told the consuls of the ISDG to "stay on topic" as well when they were discussing what to do with you in a thread entitled 'What to do with Panag??'.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 26, 2003, 18:21   #22
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
A simple battle standard and flail laying on a battlefield, but I got to find the standard I want updated...(or rather a way of transfering the standard...it's on my playstation right now...)
Do you want to duplicate some scene from a game you have on your PlayStation?
Tell me the title, maybe I can find screenshots from the game.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 26, 2003, 18:23   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, you did leave. After several consuls and most participants wanted to kick you for periods of time ranging from about a week to over a month, and some wanted you perma-banned from the group.
Leaving then was like saying "You can't fire me! I quit!". It changes nothing; several high-ranking officials wanted you perma-banned, everyone who commented publicly wanted you at least kicked for at least a week and your continued defiance to follow the same rules that everyone else follows with no complaints and statements that your posts and observations are so important that you should be allowed to post them in the topped threads that are otherwise reserved for official posts only just infuriated your teammates even further.

No, usually that's your job. If I remember correctly, you told the consuls of the ISDG to "stay on topic" as well when they were discussing what to do with you in a thread entitled 'What to do with Panag??'.
hi ,

maybe i should post the entire page here , .....

and the other pages , .....

anyway , you can rant all you want , its you who goes OT again , ....

write whatever you want , i am not going to see anymore what you write , ....

bye
Old June 26, 2003, 18:27   #24
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Shiber, nothing can be gained by this other than disrupting the threads of one of the better features of this game.
Old June 26, 2003, 18:30   #25
Shiber
Emperor

Yes, I figured that that little ordeal would be a bit too embarrassing for you. Alright, I won't mention it again.
At least I got a prize out of this discussion - I got into your ignore list!

(or so I think, and actually, hope, that "i am not going to see anymore what you write" implies)
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 27, 2003, 08:49   #26
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Ok, Shiber, anyone else listening

The scene is just in my head. The battle standard is a semi-customized one I have from Armored Core, a VERY old PS game. Has a raven on it, I think we can all see where I am comming up with that for the standard.

The scene I want to depict is a culmination of several I have seen ranging from Arthurian Legend pics to several of the more artful renditions of games and battles. I can go private with it for much more details or I am going to be giving away much of the future of the story, well as much as I can predict that is, it is being swept by the game as well, but there are things I also am scripting.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 29, 2003, 11:50   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Ok, Shiber, anyone else listening

The scene is just in my head. The battle standard is a semi-customized one I have from Armored Core, a VERY old PS game. Has a raven on it, I think we can all see where I am comming up with that for the standard.

The scene I want to depict is a culmination of several I have seen ranging from Arthurian Legend pics to several of the more artful renditions of games and battles. I can go private with it for much more details or I am going to be giving away much of the future of the story, well as much as I can predict that is, it is being swept by the game as well, but there are things I also am scripting.
hi ,

sounds great

when will we see it , .....

have a nice day