Old June 24, 2003, 11:13   #1
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
6 British Soldiers killed in Iraq
On CNN just now. No links available yet. Apparently the 6 "injured" in Basra were actually killed according to MoD.

Well I guess those Iraquis are sick of being "liberated".

The resistance to occupation seems to be increasing quite rapidly which is worrying on several fronts. The longer the occupation goes the more resentment will build up and more resistance will occur. More resistance will mean the occupation lasts longer.

And this incident was in Basra, against the Brits, whom everyone thought were the "nice" face of the invasion.

Of course it's not yet time to run screaming, but it definitely is getting interesting.
Old June 24, 2003, 11:16   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The majority aren't. But a significant enough minority is to cause problems.

What type of incident was it?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 24, 2003, 11:17   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:26
Old June 24, 2003, 11:22   #4
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Don't know - details are still hazy - that's all they said.

I thought the majority consensus in Iraq was "Great Saddam's gone, now leave us the **** alone."
Old June 24, 2003, 11:32   #5
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:26
Only if "eave us alone" doesn't mean: hey, look, Saddam's back! Plus there is that fact that certainly the Kurds aren;t really that happy to stuck with the whole "Iraq" bit, but they play nice cause the US is there.

Politically, I think this adds to Balir problems. He is shakky on the weapons, and I don't think the Brti public is that gun-ho about being part of an occupation when thier boys might be getting killed,if they doubt the veracity of having one in in the first place.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 24, 2003, 11:55   #6
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
Did anybody really expect something different than this? We have been told over and over that it will take at least a year to get things in some semblance of order in Iraq. Everybody seems to want everything to be just perfect two months after the US took over a country? This simply isn't realistic. Given the climate in the ME, Iraq may be years away from being without some sort of terrorism. The goal here is to try to create an environment that is stable enough for the Iraqi people to be able to govern themselves. With the fact that all relevant opposition to the Baath party was eliminated by the previous regime, I believe that a year is ambitious. I would expect this kind of thing to continue for several months at the least.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old June 24, 2003, 12:14   #7
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 06:26
mess with the seeds, the chickens eat you
Old June 24, 2003, 12:21   #8
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 04:26
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
Did anybody really expect something different than this? We have been told over and over that it will take at least a year to get things in some semblance of order in Iraq. Everybody seems to want everything to be just perfect two months after the US took over a country? This simply isn't realistic. Given the climate in the ME, Iraq may be years away from being without some sort of terrorism. The goal here is to try to create an environment that is stable enough for the Iraqi people to be able to govern themselves. With the fact that all relevant opposition to the Baath party was eliminated by the previous regime, I believe that a year is ambitious. I would expect this kind of thing to continue for several months at the least.
The thing that wasn't expected was the amount of baath loyalty remaining, not to mention the amount of looting that is still happening. Plus the amount of Republican guard that "faded" back into the populace.

I'm starting to think 2-3 years is ambitious. Consider that Afghanistan is supposed to be less than a year away from holding general elections, and how close to a stable environment that is.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old June 24, 2003, 12:47   #9
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 00:26
I am surprised, since this happened in a Shiite area. You don't hear much about the South, because there hasn't been any hostility there.

Overall, I would guess this is not an indication of the future unrest in the South. Probably imported from the Sunni areas.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 24, 2003, 12:48   #10
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay

The thing that wasn't expected was the amount of baath loyalty remaining, not to mention the amount of looting that is still happening. Plus the amount of Republican guard that "faded" back into the populace.

I'm starting to think 2-3 years is ambitious. Consider that Afghanistan is supposed to be less than a year away from holding general elections, and how close to a stable environment that is.
depends who was doing the expecting.

there were people here saying that due to iraqi nationalism, basically everyone other than the Kurds would be resisting. Instead the resistance is mainly in the Sunni belt, and seems to be largely the hardcore - baathist-fedayeen-SRG. There may have been some who thought there would be less resistance, but this is within the range of what many expected.
Old June 24, 2003, 12:49   #11
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Chopper taken down - not rioting in the street.
Old June 24, 2003, 12:54   #12
Q Classic
Emperor

one is almost tempted to say that if they don't like us there, and don't want us there, for us to just leave them on their own devices.

of course, that'll only breed resentment. occupation of this nature leads to a situation where all options lead to hate, it's just a question of which ones lead to less hate.
Old June 24, 2003, 13:06   #13
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 20:26
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
If the proper amount of troops had been committed, and some pre-planning for fixing infrastructure, paying people in the absense of a functioning economy, etc., then a majority of this stuff is completely avoidable. Unfortunately, Bush and Wolfie want to prove they know more than Shinseki and other professionals, and prove their manhood by how few troops they can use to occupy Iraq.

You can't have large counterinsurgent operations without taking those troops out of routine security duty, and the allied forces are spread pretty damned thin when you figure they have to be in a security posture 7/24 across the whole country. They can't, so they concentrate in some areas, and give the Iraqis a lot of ability to do **** in the shadows, where allied forces aren't covering at the moment.

This is going to be a slow, lingering FUBAR at this rate.
Old June 24, 2003, 13:07   #14
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 20:26
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Chopper taken down - not rioting in the street.
Occupying troops dead = occupying troops dead. It doesn't really matter how they do it.
Old June 24, 2003, 14:06   #15
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 05:26
Re: 6 British Soldiers killed in Iraq
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

...And this incident was in Basra, against the Brits, whom everyone thought were the "nice" face of the invasion.

Of course it's not yet time to run screaming, but it definitely is getting interesting.
It wasn't in Basra. Try Al Hamann province north of Basra. Resistance forces generally don't operate in cities at the start of hostilities.

Apparently 2 separate attacks with other injuries apart from the dead.

Not good news - but I'm not surprised in the least.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 24, 2003, 14:19   #16
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Re: Re: 6 British Soldiers killed in Iraq
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy

Resistance forces generally don't operate in cities at the start of hostilities.
Never a truer word was spoken.

Wait until the resistance has a name and then you'll know that the trouble is really starting.

Any candidate names? Here's mine:

"The George W Bush Appreciation Society"

"The Committee to de-Elect the President"
Old June 24, 2003, 14:26   #17
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Unfortunately, Bush and Wolfie want to prove they know more than Shinseki and other professionals

Hey, since when did you like Shinseki?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 24, 2003, 14:30   #18
Cruddy
Warlord

Agathon, total number Brit casualties lost to Iraqi fire up to capture of Baghdad = 8.

Add six more to that and you can see we're not exactly in the throes of panic over them.

They are doing what they are paid to do. Getting shot at and returning it 10 fold. They're not conscripts, they're volunteers - and the few (5?) who had weren't happy about the Iraq War were lifted out before it kicked offf.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 24, 2003, 14:43   #19
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Agathon, total number Brit casualties lost to Iraqi fire up to capture of Baghdad = 8.

Add six more to that and you can see we're not exactly in the throes of panic over them.

They are doing what they are paid to do. Getting shot at and returning it 10 fold. They're not conscripts, they're volunteers - and the few (5?) who had weren't happy about the Iraq War were lifted out before it kicked offf.
That's not what worries me. If this is indeed the beginning of a lengthy and popular resistance then there will be more deaths (I don't care whose) and that may make the overall situation worse.
Old June 24, 2003, 15:01   #20
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

A resistance significant enough to pose a large threat would almost have to be state sponsored. Undoubtedly this sponsorship would be exposed. Given GW's trigger finger, the results could be disastorous for the sponsor nation. More likely you will continue to see loosly organized groups conducting random attacks for some time. The establishment of self governance should lessen, but not eliminate them
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old June 24, 2003, 15:07   #21
Cruddy
Warlord

As I understand it, troops involved were 1st Para helping train Iraqis as police.

Maybe target wasn't the Brits but the "collaborators".

Yep, definitely 100 miles outside of Basra - out of the Sh'ia area entirely.
Old June 24, 2003, 15:29   #22
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:26
turn Iraq over to the U.N. dammit!

this is out of control.
Old June 24, 2003, 15:30   #23
Lord Merciless
Warlord

The decision to disband the Iraqi army without severance pay definitely pushed many Iraqis over the edge. If only 1% out of the 400,000 decides to go extreme, we suddenly have to face 4,000 guerillas with lots of weapons and military trainings.
Old June 24, 2003, 15:43   #24
C0ckney
King

yeah well we saw how well their weapons and military training served them in the war itself...

and gegap, i think you underestimate the british public, while loss to our forces is tragic, 6 deaths is hardly going to make people want to call the whole thing off.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old June 24, 2003, 16:00   #25
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
yeah well we saw how well their weapons and military training served them in the war itself...
It's harder to kill Americans in wars.
Old June 24, 2003, 16:01   #26
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

but easier to kill americans when not in war
Old June 24, 2003, 16:09   #27
Cruddy
Warlord

Only real cure to the problem is an economically viable Iraq which can mind it's own business.
Old June 24, 2003, 16:11   #28
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Quote:
Only real cure to the problem is an economically viable Iraq which can mind it's own business.
That means holding out until such thing becomes a reality.

Pulling out just because there are casualties is not an option.
Old June 24, 2003, 16:14   #29
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes but a slow integration of U.N. peacekeepers is a viable option.

We could slowly, and I stress slowly, turn over control of Iraq to the U.N. peacekeepers.
Old June 24, 2003, 16:18   #30
C0ckney
King

why would that make a difference, it would still be the foriegn troops in iraq, which is after all what the iraqis are objecting to. although the iraqis may find the UN a little more acceptable, do you honestly think that the hardliners wouldn't attack them as well?

the only difference would the fact that we'd be replacing the best armies there are in the world with a mish-mash of blue helmets tied up in red tape.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton