Old June 24, 2003, 16:22   #31
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 21:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
yes but a slow integration of U.N. peacekeepers is a viable option.

We could slowly, and I stress slowly, turn over control of Iraq to the U.N. peacekeepers.
Even the UN needs countries to contribute. That's what we are doing right now. UK, Poland, Netherland, Australia, Danmark will support up to 20,000 additional troops. India has still to decide whether to contribute 15,000 more. France, Germany, and Russia have already refused sending troops.

We can't allow the UN to have the command though. It has never worked, whether in Somalia, in Congo, in the Balkan, or any place where there are true bad guys.
Old June 24, 2003, 17:18   #32
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I think USA is making great buiseness giving Poland its zone in Iraq. It will pay most the money for it, but Polish, not American people will be dieing, and the anger of its own citizens will be smaller.
Old June 24, 2003, 17:23   #33
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:26
Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
and gegap, i think you underestimate the british public, while loss to our forces is tragic, 6 deaths is hardly going to make people want to call the whole thing off.
So the brtish public has decided to bive Tony a free ride vis a vi WMD'sd and the whole start of the war part? If they have, maybe, but if they haven't this just adds a little more against Blair.

Oh, and 100 miles north of Basra is still in Shiite territory. Najaf and Karbala are about 100 miles from Basra as well.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 24, 2003, 23:44   #34
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
What will happen in X years when the Americans decide Iraq is 'ready' for elections and they elect the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (or some other militant party)?

Will they just pull an Algeria and declare the results 'null', and the Iraqis need a few more years of leash-training?

Or what if they just decide to 'install' some liberal party that has no popular support?
Old June 25, 2003, 03:26   #35
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:26
no, they will make sure the "right" candidates are running for office.
Old June 25, 2003, 12:59   #36
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
can someone let me know when post-war casualties exceed war casualties? let's exclude friendly-fire from the war casualties category. i want to know how effective the iraqis really are.
Old June 25, 2003, 13:35   #37
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 05:26
Its sad when anybody loses their life in such a way, but I think it says a lot about the nations involved, that they are prepared to put themselves in the firing line for the Iraqi people, instead of the Iraqi people being in the firing line of Saddam.

to pull out of Iraq now would make a complete mockery of this war, and would simply cause terrible suffering to the Iraqi people.

While some american/brit haters may scoff, its only because they know their people would not be willing to die for anothers, and this reflection upsets them.
Old June 25, 2003, 13:55   #38
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

So the brtish public has decided to bive Tony a free ride vis a vi WMD'sd and the whole start of the war part? If they have, maybe, but if they haven't this just adds a little more against Blair.

Oh, and 100 miles north of Basra is still in Shiite territory. Najaf and Karbala are about 100 miles from Basra as well.
As for the first - still an Inquiry going on about "deceiving the house" (quite a serious charge for an MP). It looks likely that Alastair Darling, the "behind the scenes PR minder" will get the axe - but very difficult to call how it will turn out. Certainly the Intelligence services are denying any part in the dossiers "proving WMD" - so the axe has to fall somewhere.

As to the 2nd - you can find Sh'ia everywhere in Iraq, it's just they're most numerous around Basra. 100 miles out is they're getting in less proportion - anyway, main point was that it wasn't IN Basra, as originally claimed.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 25, 2003, 14:42   #39
C0ckney
King

i don't think darling will go, he's pretty central to the blair government, the PM will look to pass the buck to someone more expendable IMO.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old June 26, 2003, 02:15   #40
Cruddy
Warlord

Good Lord!

Wasn't 1st Para at all - 6 red caps (MPs or Military Police).

Morale will soar after this - no soldier has any love for the red caps.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84