Old February 16, 2004, 17:22   #181
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Two stupidities
I've opened the current CyCon turn to have a first look and explore some possible actions to take. First I accepted DAP. In my experience I thought it was only the turn after you acquired the tech you're currently researching, that you're forced to pick a new tech to research. But now the window immediately appeared where I had to choose a new tech to research.

So I had to choose one already. The choices were: Centauri Empathy, Polymorphic Software, Doctrine: Loyalty and Field Modulation. The last two immediately fell away as good possibilities IMHO. That left the choice between CentEmp & PolySoft. PolySoft is a prerequisite for AdvMilAlg, so that's important.
On the other side the Drones are currently researching PolySoft, so I thought we could possibly steal it from them. Also Drogue has said IIRC that he'd like to go Green Economy in the future, and a majority is in favour of aiming partially for psi combat, I assume from the Neural Amplifier poll. That's why I chose for CentEmp.

A second stupidity is the following. On request of Impaler, I wanted to have a look at the mind control costs of Little Accident and Calico Island (351 credits). Therefore I activated the probe defence east of Little Accident to have a look. But I apparently wasn't paying attention well, because I accidently selected "drain energy reserves". :heartattack: Fortunately that still more or less ended well: 8 credits are stolen, and the probe has been safely returned to Henry Morgan's Boat, with a morale upgrade to hardened. However we can no longer use that probe this year.

I wanted to let you know these things. I hope you won't nervestaple me because of these mistakes!
Old February 16, 2004, 17:27   #182
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

First isn`t a stupidity - it is good. NA here we come (also PolySoft her we come - with probes ). Green is definetly a choice.
The second..... RUN MANIAC RUN!
Old February 16, 2004, 19:23   #183
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Re: Two stupidities
Actually, for me it's the other way around.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
But now the window immediately appeared where I had to choose a new tech to research.
I did warn you!!
Personally, I would have preferred PolySoft

Quote:
and the probe has been safely returned to Henry Morgan's Boat, with a morale upgrade to hardened. However we can no longer use that probe this year.
I haven't read any proposals for another line of action (except mind probe perhaps) for that probe, so no harm done in my opinion and the probe is in a position where he can leave immediately. I'm against spending money on mind probing 'till NA is finished anyway.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 18, 2004, 17:44   #184
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Hmm, just realized I made another mistake. I forgot to switch Zetaris production from rec commons to crawler. Switching next year will waste one mineral.
Oh well, at least I've broken my personal record of # mistakes per mission year.
Old February 23, 2004, 11:20   #185
Maniac

Just wanted to say: don't wory about the turn being played on time: it will be. There's just a problem with turning over control to the CyCon that missile interceptor in And/Or Gate. I'm discussing it with Googlie. We'll probably have to prototype the needlejet chassis ourselves though. As a consequence, if we want to have that impact needlejet in Logic Loop ready next year, so it can attack the PEACE base on Yardam Island MY 2160 or '61, we'll need to hurry prototype production with that crawler just finished in Logic Loop.
Old February 23, 2004, 15:12   #186
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Re: PUT MY 2157 turn report
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac [*]Missile Interceptor moved to And/Or Gate. Though this should normally work, it's impossible here to transfer unit control to the Consciousness. Looks like CyCon will have to prototype needlejets themselves after all. Anyway, I have asked Googlie if he could check out a theory on what the problem could be.
Um, perhaps full turn (movement) needed to transfer to another faction?

Moved from Turn Reports thread by Drogue

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Last edited by Drogue; February 23, 2004 at 17:06.
Old February 23, 2004, 15:18   #187
Maniac

GeoModder:
Quote:
Um, perhaps full turn (movement) needed to transfer to another faction?
No, that isn't it. In for example this test game I am able to transfer missile interceptor control, despite it having no movement points left. And Googlie also tested if he could transfer unit control MY 2158, when the interceptor had full movement points, and it didn't work.
Old February 23, 2004, 16:42   #188
GeoModder
Deity

Ok, some things I noticed on the 2157 pressend save:

Caboolture: I thought there was an agreement for building a former there (pls a fungicidial one)? The production is now crawler, and next turn production can't be changed without mineral loss.

Gold Coast: 2 turns for finishing the Tree Farm there. Less then 40 energy.

Gardens Point: No 'Stockpile Energy' in building queue. Or is that only necessary when you build a military unit?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 23, 2004, 20:39   #189
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
Caboolture: I thought there was an agreement for building a former there (pls a fungicidial one)? The production is now crawler, and next turn production can't be changed without mineral loss.
Oh. I didn't know you agreed to a former, as you didn't reply to my last post in the IAF thread. A while after writing that post, I realized that it would be better to wait with building a former there until we have Centauri Empathy. When we have CentEmp (or was it CentMed), we can build roads on fungus without the need to clear the fungus first. This would save us six former turns. Therefore I set production on a crawler (is that ok?), as we don't yet have enough credits in reserve to hurry a research hospital. Hopefully we'll have enough credits in reserve in three years though, to build the hospital quickly.

Quote:
Gold Coast: 2 turns for finishing the Tree Farm there. Less then 40 energy.
Okay. Though is it ok if I only rush just enough minerals to finish the tree farm, and not hurry an extra ten minerals to roll over to the next project? The Consciousness will need at least 370 credits their turn (330 for crawler upgrading and 40 for switching to FM), and who knows there will be some other production we'd like to hurry, so I though it would be best to keep some cash in reserve.

Quote:
Gardens Point: No 'Stockpile Energy' in building queue. Or is that only necessary when you build a military unit?
Unless there is something else next in the build queue, after a facility or secret project is produced, production automatically switches to "stockpile energy", so you automatically profit from the bug. After a military unit is produced, production continues on a next unit of that type, so if you want to profit from the stockpile energy bug, you need to put it manually in the build queue.
Old February 23, 2004, 23:21   #190
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
And Googlie also tested if he could transfer unit control MY 2158, when the interceptor had full movement points, and it didn't work.
I've PM'd Maniac the results of the tests, but in a nutshell:

I cna't get change of control for the noodle until another unit has successfully changed contol - then it works

I "gave" MMI to PUT and made a drop unit that I dropped into Cycon base #1 - couldn't change. Same turn I reactivated the unit and dropped into a second base, again, no change - same turn re-activated and dropped into a 3rd base, and this time it took.

And so did the noodle change of control right afterwards.

I don't know why it wouldn't take first time with the noodle, and I can't find a workaround. You may beed to wait for PUT to get MMI and we'll permit the multiple drop this one time to get around the problem. Or else the CyCon needs to prototype the chassis itself

I'm not getting that problem with Drone-Hive noodle exchanges

G.
Old February 24, 2004, 06:32   #191
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Oh. I didn't know you agreed to a former, as you didn't reply to my last post in the IAF thread. A while after writing that post, I realized that it would be better to wait with building a former there until we have Centauri Empathy. When we have CentEmp (or was it CentMed), we can build roads on fungus without the need to clear the fungus first. This would save us six former turns. Therefore I set production on a crawler (is that ok?), as we don't yet have enough credits in reserve to hurry a research hospital. Hopefully we'll have enough credits in reserve in three years though, to build the hospital quickly.
Must have been one of the messages I lost due to that ridicolous offen re-login I have to do. Is that normal, btw? It happens offen that I post something, work on a respons for another message and, say 10 min. after that first posting I have to log in again when I try to post the second message. Lost a lot of responses already to that feature.

But for that former. It won't be soon that we can build roads in fungus (especially since CC isn't going to research?). So fungicidal formers aren't a bad idea. Or did you plan to upgrade that former on the landbridge near Caboolture?

Quote:
Okay. Though is it ok if I only rush just enough minerals to finish the tree farm, and not hurry an extra ten minerals to roll over to the next project?
Off course, what do you keep me for? A spendthrift?

Quote:
Unless there is something else next in the build queue, after a facility or secret project is produced, production automatically switches to "stockpile energy", so you automatically profit from the bug. After a military unit is produced, production continues on a next unit of that type, so if you want to profit from the stockpile energy bug, you need to put it manually in the build queue.
Ok, it's in the memory bank now for keeps.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 24, 2004, 08:34   #192
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:26
What are the Crawler upgrades for, Maniac?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 24, 2004, 10:47   #193
Maniac

GeoModder:
Quote:
Must have been one of the messages I lost due to that ridicolous offen re-login I have to do. Is that normal, btw?
No. It happens to me too once in a while, but very rarely. Perhaps some problem with your firewall or internet connection or so?
Anyway, I've learned to simply temporarily copy my reply in Notepad before I click on "Submit Reply", so I don't lose the text in case something happens.

Quote:
But for that former. It won't be soon that we can build roads in fungus (especially since CC isn't going to research?).
I guess we'll get CentEmp in some eight years or so. After MMI is finished, PUT won't be able to research Bioeng if my prediction with Minute Mirage's excel file works ok, so CentEmp seems the best choice IMHO. I'll post more about this in the Science Thread later, so we can discuss.

MWIA:

Quote:
What are the Crawler upgrades for, Maniac?
Building the Neural Amplifier in Boolean Bay. Poll was here and going for it got a majority.
Old February 24, 2004, 21:55   #194
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:26
Ah yes, thank you.

I clearly remember voting against that.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 25, 2004, 08:32   #195
Maniac

Little announcement: Tomorrow I won't be able to play SMAX until a few hours after the deadline has passed. This means I'll have to finish the CyCon turn this evening, at the latest in some ten hours or so.
Old February 25, 2004, 17:26   #196
GeoModder
Deity

Give me a signal when you come online. Just in case there are things not yet clear.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old February 25, 2004, 19:22   #197
Maniac

AFAIK everything was clear.
Here's the presend turn:
http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...157presend.zip
If I didn't make any mistake, or if there aren't any further suggestions or comments, I'll post the PEACE turn in the turn tracking thread in an hour or so.

Or an alternative, if you want a few hours with posting our turn, is that one of you presses "end turn" and posts the final turn in the general forum. As posted above, I won't be able to do so tomorrow.
Old February 25, 2004, 19:34   #198
GeoModder
Deity

Liar's Lair: Drone riots, a doctor is needed there!!!
Same in Zetaris, or are the RC's finished anyway before the drones can stop production?

There are 93 credits left in the bank.
Or does that show on our account till PUT has accepted the offer?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Last edited by GeoModder; February 25, 2004 at 19:41.
Old February 25, 2004, 20:34   #199
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
Liar's Lair: Drone riots, a doctor is needed there!!!
Same in Zetaris, or are the RC's finished anyway before the drones can stop production?
Production is indeed dealt with before drone riots are checked.

Quote:
There are 93 credits left in the bank.
Or does that show on our account till PUT has accepted the offer?
Yes, that's it.
Old March 2, 2004, 16:32   #200
Maniac

The final PUT presend is in the turn reports thread and here you can download the CC turn:
http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...-CyCon2158.zip
Old March 3, 2004, 07:45   #201
Maniac

Sorry to tell you this only four days into the new government term, but if war erupts now between CPU and the Hive-Drones as seems to be the case, and buster can't be convinced to go for a solo victory, I'm strongly considering to become much less active - or totally inactive - in the ACDG. I guess you know my opinion that, since the Hive-Drones probably have over double the industrial capacity of us, we stand no chance against them both, and defeat is assured. If this was just a simple single player PBEM that didn't take much time and where I didn't have to discuss about all plans, I'd continue to the end. But in the ACDG having to discuss all the orders with especially Impaler and GeoModder takes lots and lots of time, and it isn't worth all that free time for me if the end result is obvious anyway.
So I have to ask, if war erupts between us and the Hive-Drones, is someone willing to replace me as Prime Function?
Old March 3, 2004, 11:15   #202
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
So I have to ask, if war erupts between us and the Hive-Drones, is someone willing to replace me as Prime Function?
It is always possible just to execute the orders given, and not participate in the discussions of how those orders come to be.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 3, 2004, 11:35   #203
Maniac

Yeah, but it's kinda hard simply executing orders while thinking (rightly so or not - who's to say ) that one could do better due to being a more experienced SMAC player etcetera.
Old March 4, 2004, 17:52   #204
Maniac

Presend save is in the turn report thread. If I forgot something, please tell me in the next hour or so, as I then have to leave and thus post the turn in the turn tracking thread.
Oh yeah, in the current uploaded save I forgot to transmot our cash to PUT, but that's already fixed.
Old March 5, 2004, 00:22   #205
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 04:26
Due to time contraints, I doubt I'd be able to take over as Prime Function. However the Hive and Drones are not that close, seemingly. We have a chance.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old March 5, 2004, 01:16   #206
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:26
Nevermind...I thought I was in the general forum turn tracking thread.
Bah!
Old March 14, 2004, 20:36   #207
Maniac

Just posting here to say that my last post in the turn report thread has been updated with CyCon turnplay info.
Old March 15, 2004, 17:27   #208
GeoModder
Deity

Quote:
Very well, Maniac. If you decide to lay down your post, I take it over 'till elections can be held.

/me thinks: What I'm I doing now??

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 16, 2004, 14:44   #209
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE!!

I see coutless changes to my Former orders here, almost nothing in the Central Trantor area is as I posted? I can understand some of the build changes that were made for Military Production (Comand Centers, Plasma Garrison ect ect) but for Gods sake people this is over the line to simply change all the former orders I had posted without even raising any objections to them on the forum or consulting me. If all my work is going to simply be ignored I dont see why I am going to waste my precious time on this game. Their had better be a DAMN GOOD explination for this!
GeoModder visited me Sunday, and we discussed many things on what to do in the turn. Since you and the two of us are mostly the only ones who discuss on Internal Affairs matters, I guess a majority would agree to what Geo and I agreed on to do.

However I have to admit that I've grown increasingly tired with discussing former, crawler, worker and civil production orders. For this and many other reasons I think it's best I resign as Prime Function. Fortunately GeoModder has offered to take over the turnplay duties until new elections are held, so this will pose no problem in the short run.
Old March 16, 2004, 16:32   #210
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 21:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I am sad to hear this Maniac your a core member of our team and I think we realy need you to be active. I also think your throwing in the towel too early. Atleast wait untill we are infact involved in and lossing wars with the Hive and Drones, for all we know they many not infact attack us.

As for the Internal Affairs orders, I dont think growing tired of discussion is a valid excuse for simply over-riding me because GeoModder agreed with you. If the situation was reversed and Me and You desided to change GeoModders Military orders without even having raised any objections on the forum or consulted any other members of the team then He would have every right to be mad.

I know that you and Geo had been doing Internal Affairs in my absesn and likly had plans of your own that you wanted to complete, if you had debated them I might have agreed to most of it too. You both seemed realy pleased when I returned to do the job, now it seems that you will follow my IA orders only so far as they agree with what you have already desided to do which is a total breakdown of our democracy and not a situation I will work under.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche