Old June 25, 2003, 00:17   #31
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How could he tell you his internet wasn't working while communicating via internet?

Old June 25, 2003, 00:33   #32
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Obiwan... easy to explain... i've had the same thing happen to be many times on AOL Instant Messenger. For example, i'm talking to someone and they are quiet for a while and then i found that they had been disconnected and didn't get any of my messages though, to me, they were always online... i've also done the same thing to other people, being disconnected and saying sorry and the person on the other end positive i was never disconnected.

thanks
Old June 25, 2003, 00:37   #33
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

True, but if you think that hard, you spoil the joke.
Old June 25, 2003, 00:40   #34
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

obiwan:

it was a bad joke to begin with
Old June 25, 2003, 00:43   #35
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
I remember when I just got into uni at the age of 18, this gorgeous woman, half Chinese and half Spanish, who came from the Barbados, just came up to me one day and said, "Hi, I am Judy, lets go have a cup of tea."
Dreams don't count .
Sounds that way, doesn't it?
Old June 25, 2003, 01:57   #36
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
Obiwan... easy to explain... i've had the same thing happen to be many times on AOL Instant Messenger. For example, i'm talking to someone and they are quiet for a while and then i found that they had been disconnected and didn't get any of my messages though, to me, they were always online... i've also done the same thing to other people, being disconnected and saying sorry and the person on the other end positive i was never disconnected.

thanks
But the only problem is....We were communicating seconds before, and a minute after
Old June 25, 2003, 02:19   #37
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 21:27
"we can breath underwater"

- said by my brother ben

"i didnt kick him in the groin, he walked into my foot"

- said by my brother rob
Old June 25, 2003, 07:10   #38
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:27
Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

I think it would be ignorant because of the tremendous amount of things that can be directly attributed to the space program. These are just a select few http://spaceplace.jpl.nasa.gov/spinoffs2.htm that I found doing a 5 sec. google search. Some of this stuff (i.e. medical imaging, fire equipment) seems pretty damn important. By completely cutting space program funding, you're also completely cutting the research that creates these things, and I find that ignorant. That's all.

I also get a bit dismissive when people mention techonologies directly attributable to the space programme. Although these technologies come from such programmes the solutions are not exclusive to it. That is to say we could have developed them without the space programme.

I'm also certain that all the Earth based technologies developed from Apollo could have been developed for well under the $25 billion spent on the programme.

If we are doing space travel for the technology I think it a waste of resources that could be better spent. The technology spin-offs just take a bit of edge off the astronomical (no pun intended) costs involved.

I do think space missions are important, and would like to increase funding. Its not a question of economics or applied use of knowledge gained. I think the things we can acheive and things we can learn are, in and of themselves, important.
Old June 25, 2003, 07:48   #39
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Re: Has anyone ever said something SO surprising to you, you couldnt understand how they
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
ALWAYS had a big interest in spaceflight, stars etc.....
"Oh I cant stand sci-fi or anything to do with space. All those people really just wanna go to other planets, which dosent effect us at all, its all such a waste of time. Anything to do with exploring or studying space is a waste"
Never take seriously anyone who confuses "affect" with "effect"
Old June 25, 2003, 07:48   #40
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch

I think the things we can acheive and things we can learn are, in and of themselves, important.

And the things we can dream of ...
Old June 25, 2003, 12:52   #41
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
everything like microwaves and velcro and all that are side products that did not come from exploring space.
velcro did come from the space race.

it was developed to help astronauts spacewalk. their inspiration was the brambles on the ground, yes, but that application would not have been thought of had it not been for the gemini project.

in any case, i hope we get back into space as quickly as possible. there's a lot of potential out there, but it'll require lots of investment.

===

lewis black has a good bit about things that just make your head hurt -- and that they lead to an aneurysm.
his example was hearing a girl say, "if it weren't for my horse, i wouldn't have spent that year in college."
Old June 25, 2003, 12:59   #42
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Tang. Tang came from the space race. Didn't it?
Old June 25, 2003, 13:05   #43
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"The majority of rape victims got what they wanted".
Albert Speer
Old June 25, 2003, 13:07   #44
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Tang. Tang came from the space race. Didn't it?
SHH!!!!!!!!! that's not something to be proud about!
Old June 25, 2003, 13:11   #45
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I also get a bit dismissive when people mention techonologies directly attributable to the space programme. Although these technologies come from such programmes the solutions are not exclusive to it. That is to say we could have developed them without the space programme.
I disagree. Necessity is the mother of invention. What other environment would require such necessities which would lead to such inventions as plastic?

Yet, using invention as a justification for space exploration is rediculous. The mere fact that curiosity is part of human nature should cover it enough, coupled with the fact the other two parts of human nature are explotation and destruction, space is just a logical approach. Satelites for communications, spying, destroying would not be possible at all if it were not for the space program, but it was not for communications that the billions was spent to get up there... It was to spy on the commies!
Old June 25, 2003, 13:52   #46
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 22:27
If we dive into the world of science fiction, space will be our escape when we've finally raped our own Earth beyond repair. In real life, lots of handy everyday things came from the space race, and it gives a nation the massive ego it needs to become a world power. I mean, space is the "mine is longer" contest of nations.
Old June 25, 2003, 13:55   #47
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Wait...you mean Texas isn't on the east coast?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 25, 2003, 13:56   #48
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

"Minorities have it made in this country."
Old June 25, 2003, 13:57   #49
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Texas is technically located on the eastern coast of the united states... I thought that was obvious...
Albert Speer
Old June 25, 2003, 14:02   #50
Solly
Emperor

Space expenditure is a waste.
Old June 25, 2003, 14:09   #51
Cruddy
Warlord

Space expenditure is the ONLY way to guarantee the long term survival of the human race - in that context, we should be spending more.

Of course, we could learn how to make the best use of this planet before our descendants bugger off to other ones.

But that doesn't mean we should test and think about how one day we are going to move off world.

Of couse, if the planet was an irradiated stinking garbage heap, maybe that airhead would have a different opinion of space exploration.

It's not that bad yet - but things aren't getting any better soon.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 25, 2003, 14:11   #52
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
Space expenditure is the ONLY way to guarantee the long term survival of the human race - in that context, we should be spending more.

We can live here for thousands of generations. At our current rates of growth, we should wait rather than wasting resources which are still precious and scarce to us. In a few centuries, they won't be so scarce so the opportunity cost will be muchly minimised.
Old June 25, 2003, 14:12   #53
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I use the phrase "my internet..." There's nothing wrong with that. It's short for "My Internet Connection". Plus, if someone is referring to an "internet" and not THE "Internet", they are not making a mistake.
Old June 25, 2003, 14:15   #54
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
We can live here for thousands of generations. At our current rates of growth, we should wait rather than wasting resources which are still precious and scarce to us. In a few centuries, they won't be so scarce so the opportunity cost will be muchly minimised.

There are x number of resources on Earth Bodd's. As we use more and more, there will be less left, not more... and here I thought UK education systems were supposed to be better than the US.
Old June 25, 2003, 14:18   #55
Solly
Emperor

Picking faults for no reason

Resources = all production factors
Old June 25, 2003, 14:20   #56
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Picking faults for no reason
pointing out ****ed reasoning

Resources aren't infinite. There is only such much on this planet. The more people, the less resources per person. Time's a wasting, Bodd's. You may not care about the future of humanity, but fortunately, others do.
Old June 25, 2003, 14:21   #57
Solly
Emperor

There's the Roland Bodds Stenish Econ threads...

And then the Sava Kidiciousish threads
Old June 25, 2003, 14:22   #58
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
You may not care about the future of humanity, but fortunately, others do.
which is why so many of us focus more on bread and circuses?

unfortunately, those with the long view are in the minority. they themselves are also split. some in favor of vhemt, others in space.
Old June 25, 2003, 14:23   #59
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's

That's true. It depends on what you mean by living - driving around in automobiles or riding horses.

The trick we seem to have neglected in the industrial age is making sure resources are renewable - if we don't figure this out pretty soon we're all going to boil to death pretty quick anyway.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 25, 2003, 14:24   #60
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I didn't create this thread.

As with resources on this planet, I should point out that people are born with a set number of brain cells. Brain cells do not reproduce. And the human body does not produce more. Each beer, joint, etc only kills off more.