Old June 27, 2003, 20:04   #31
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I love HommII and III. I play IV as well.
Old June 28, 2003, 16:38   #32
yokokurama
Settler

Local Time: 04:28
i havent got four yet. I got the platinum pack about 2 weeks ago. Homm 2 is really fun and so is 3. one is ok for such an old game i guess. Who's your favorite town? My fav is The Warlock in Heroes 2, and Necropolis in 3.
Old June 28, 2003, 22:29   #33
vmxa1
Deity

Warlock in II and Castle in III. Iv has the weak AI, but has some fun to it.
Old June 29, 2003, 10:58   #34
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:28
Quote:
Originally posted by yokokurama
On a totally different note: Does anyone play heroes of might and magic 3? It's awesome!
I did for a while and played through the campaign, but came back to Civ 3. HOMM3 is good, but not good enough for this civver!.
Old June 29, 2003, 14:02   #35
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 06:28
Re: Rome backstabers?
Quote:
Alright im not an awesome civ 3 player im only 12 yrs old. I just started playing regeant and need some advice. I am Egypt and it is the year 1250AD. I am the most powerful civ on my continent. The continent is shaped like a crescent i own the top half Rome owns the small middle and Persia owns the bottom fourth. Rome and i have a right of passage. Lately they have been sending tons and tons of legionaries up through my empire. Am i just parenoid or are they going to backstab me?
hi ,

it aint just rome , its the AI , ......

if you aint powerfull they like to toy around with you , .....

have a nice day
Old June 30, 2003, 08:35   #36
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
. Who's your favorite town? My fav is The Warlock in Heroes 2, and Necropolis in 3.
Yeah to both of these. Warlocks had the dragon monopoly in HOMM2, and in HOMM3 the Necropolis music is brilliant. No better background for building those killer Vampire Lord stacks!
Old July 1, 2003, 13:39   #37
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 21:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
coincidence and question
And to bring this thread full circle with a timely Coincidence Alert - not twelve hours ago the Romans decided to ignore an ROP and attack me, even though it was no less than suicide. That said, the circumstances were not the usual ROP. After two wars separated only by 20 turn peace deals (stupid global conquest slowing war weariness), I forced the ROP on the Romans so I could position myself to attack the Greeks later (and in turn, have the crippled Roman Empire surrounded by France (me) on all borders). The Romans sent five or so Calvary north and attacked. They were quickly dispatched with.

Question based on another oddity from this same game: Earlier, three Zulu knights wandered into my territory obviously preparing to attack. When I tried to contact them, they refused to acknowledge (Never had that happen before. Usually I ask them to move then they declare war). Therefore, I had two choices. Attack them first without declaring formal war. Or let them attack me, then go to war. I chose the latter, since I was strong enough defensively to withstand their small numbers, and wasn't sure if I'd take a rep hit for a "sneak attack".

Does anyone know if attacking without declaring war - in your own territory - when the AI won't acknowledge you counts a sneak attack? Has anyone seen this before?
Old July 1, 2003, 14:01   #38
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 06:28
Re: coincidence and question
Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
And to bring this thread full circle with a timely Coincidence Alert - not twelve hours ago the Romans decided to ignore an ROP and attack me, even though it was no less than suicide. That said, the circumstances were not the usual ROP. After two wars separated only by 20 turn peace deals (stupid global conquest slowing war weariness), I forced the ROP on the Romans so I could position myself to attack the Greeks later (and in turn, have the crippled Roman Empire surrounded by France (me) on all borders). The Romans sent five or so Calvary north and attacked. They were quickly dispatched with.

Question based on another oddity from this same game: Earlier, three Zulu knights wandered into my territory obviously preparing to attack. When I tried to contact them, they refused to acknowledge (Never had that happen before. Usually I ask them to move then they declare war). Therefore, I had two choices. Attack them first without declaring formal war. Or let them attack me, then go to war. I chose the latter, since I was strong enough defensively to withstand their small numbers, and wasn't sure if I'd take a rep hit for a "sneak attack".

Does anyone know if attacking without declaring war - in your own territory - when the AI won't acknowledge you counts a sneak attack? Has anyone seen this before?
hi ,

yep , it means the AI wants you , huh , at least your cities , he just walks right up to your door and the next turn he declares war , often the AI has oinly a couple of troops and tries to go for one city and its bluff , ....

he is in your territory , so it should not hurt your rep , especially when the AI has allready planned to go to war with you , .....

have a nice day
Old July 1, 2003, 15:46   #39
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Au contraire! Cancel your ROP first if you can. He will automatically withdraw. Then, if he enters your territory, he's fair game. If you want to avoid a rep hit, demand he withdraw or declare war once the ROP is cancelled. If Rome declares war, then it's Rome's rep that takes the hit.
Old July 1, 2003, 16:12   #40
vmxa1
Deity

Why are you worried about rep this late in the game?
Old July 1, 2003, 16:29   #41
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Good point, at this stage all the others are toast so your reputation don't matter at all.

Unless you have placed a 'keep good reputation'-restriction on yourself Such oddities are quite common among seasoned civers.
Old July 1, 2003, 20:20   #42
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Refused to acknowledge when not at war? I've never seen that.

Anyway, from a rep standpoint, you can kill all the enemy units you want on your own territory, and you are cool. It's when you are a bad person on someone else's territory...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 2, 2003, 10:15   #43
Mad Bomber
King

Happened to me yesterday. Had my border guarded to prevent the Babs from sending in any of their horrid units into my paradise. then my border expanded and the babs sent in their typical knight and pike combo. So far this is SOP, but when I came to inquire as to why their rabble was violating my lands the option for them to withrawl failed to appear. I was left with allowing them to violate one tile of my lands or declaring war on them. If I wasn't busy irradicating the Japanese and involved with a faux war with Spain......
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old July 2, 2003, 14:18   #44
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Why are you worried about rep this late in the game?
I play on a huge pagea map, max civs. So collectively the AI civs have lots of land, lots of cities, lots of production - and because they war with each other the entire time - lots of units. And only recently have I considered myself a decent enough player to try the move to Monarch. So at the beginning of Chivalry (when the Zulu attacked), the game is far from won and this particular player needs them to not dog pile me with alliances and to let me cross their land with ROPs.

Later, much later, its a different story.
Old July 2, 2003, 16:27   #45
vmxa1
Deity

They will dog pile you if you appear weak, not because of your rep. You will normally already be at least annoyed status with them, so your rep is not going to effect much. About the only thing is RoP deals and if you were a bad guy gpt deals will be rejected.
So oter than RoP rapes and breaking treaties, you need not be concerned about rep, better to worry about strength.
Old July 2, 2003, 16:40   #46
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Ah...good to know. This bit of clarification on rep should allow me to play with a freer hand. Strength is rarely an issue because mine is a strategy of expansion by war.
Old July 5, 2003, 23:37   #47
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 20:28
yokourama-If I were you I'd finish off Rome and then get all of Persia ASAP before you make contact with any otehr civs. You'll own the entire continent and you won't take a rep hit.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau