Old June 25, 2003, 17:39   #31
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 12:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What IS the problem with prostitution? If the girl wants to do it, then let her do so, what crime does it make? who gets hurt?
Old June 25, 2003, 17:53   #32
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just curious but what has been the experience in the parts of Nevada where prostitution is legal?
Old June 25, 2003, 18:04   #33
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
Prostitution is a blight on our society. However, I doubt that banning it is an effective way of stopping it. Prostitution bans have been unable to stop the practice, people continue to see prostitutes anyway and the ban just takes the whole business outside the boundaries of the law. By legalizing and regulating it, we can get the street walkers indoors and regulate the brothels to ensure the safety of the prostitutes.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old June 25, 2003, 18:12   #34
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 00:30
New Zealand .

Good job, you Kiwis .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 25, 2003, 18:22   #35
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Yeah well I think legalizing it is the way to go, safety for the prostitutes is the main concern here I believe - because prostitution is just not going to go away, it's a part of our society.
Old June 25, 2003, 18:46   #36
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:30
Yeah, if it was stamped out, what would all those middle-aged businessmen do when they're at weekend conferences in Taupo?

(I used to keep bar at an hotel there and you wouldn't believe the amount of hookers some of those guys ordered).
Old June 25, 2003, 20:03   #37
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
By legalizing and regulating it, we can get the street walkers indoors and regulate the brothels to ensure the safety of the prostitutes.
YES! See! I knew there were smart conservatives around here somewhere!
Old June 25, 2003, 20:13   #38
FrostyBoy
Emperor

LOL Taupo

That is a hole of a town. There's only one kind of entertainment there, and it's not fishing in the lake.
Old June 25, 2003, 20:32   #39
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:30
Good move.
Old June 25, 2003, 20:54   #40
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Probably doing it to revitalise the tourist industry.

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
It has always amused me. The notion that it's okay to give something away, but illegal to sell the same thing.

How....strange.
One could discuss Civ2 scenarios with those exact same terms.
Old June 25, 2003, 22:14   #41
Lung
King

Local Time: 14:30
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
blow-up sheep doll union leaders very optimistic on next years figures and job opportunities

I thought the postitution was about the sheep!
Old June 25, 2003, 22:16   #42
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 14:30
Quote:
quote:
By legalizing and regulating it, we can get the street walkers indoors and regulate the brothels to ensure the safety of the prostitutes.
Old June 25, 2003, 23:27   #43
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
What about expansion of the trade due to legalisation? Do we want more women to prostitute themselves?

Will legalisation curtail independent operators who want to cut corners?

Secondly, we need to look at why women prostitute themselves. Some are forced, I wish we could prosecute all the pimps that force women into prostitution. The problem is the evidence, and the security of the women who choose to testify. It is very hard to get these women out of the situation that they are in, when they are strung out on drugs.

The other kind is that this is very easy money to make, especially in areas that do not have much employment. You can make much more doing tricks, than you can working at a full-time job in some areas, dramatically increasing the frusteration of those who choose another route.

Why don't we offer shelter, food, etc. for any woman that we see on the street prostituting herself, rather than money for a trick?

I can remember seeing notices, from families asking people to help get their mother home so that she would be off the street. Will legalisation help these people, or encourage others to follow the same path?

Quote:
He accused the church leaders of arrogance and said they were ill-informed.
Now that's an effective argument. You don't see the Christians insulting their opponents.

Another argument looks at the functions of laws. One effect is to encourage the lowest-common denominator, that whatever is legal, is also praise-worthy.

I would argue that if one believes prostitution to be immoral, you should argue for prostitution to be kept illegal, and the nature of the restrictions up for grabs, as there are different ways to tackle the problem.

Now, what motivation will there be for crackdown on the illegal operators, other than the profit the government gets from taxation?
Old June 25, 2003, 23:42   #44
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

While Im in favor of legalizing anything, Prostitution is one thing Im not too excited about cause it really doesnt affect my life personally.

Have you ever seen a protistute so hot that you're willing to pay for? Why not get (technically) free ass when there are so much more hotter free ones?
Old June 25, 2003, 23:46   #45
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Have you ever seen a protistute so hot that you're willing to pay for? Why not get (technically) free ass when there are so much more hotter free ones?
I've had a prostitute jump into my car because I made eye-contact.

So yes, I've seen some of the street life back home. It's not a pretty sight.
Old June 26, 2003, 00:08   #46
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Flubber -
Quote:
Just curious but what has been the experience in the parts of Nevada where prostitution is legal?
Very low STD rates, not nearly as much violence towards the women, actual health care plans...you know...much of what most people take for granted...
Old June 26, 2003, 03:50   #47
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:30
As prostitutes are now legally covered with everything other industries are, this includes fair work contracts, safe work environments and conditions. Wanting a woman you knew "off the streets" would be just a personal preference rather than a safety worry, when the law takes full effect.

Thus wanting someone to stop being a prostitute would theoretically be no different under the law to wanting someone to stop selling cigarettes/liquor. Morally objectionable to a number, but with safety checks and balances in place no longer as serious a worry as previously.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 26, 2003, 04:17   #48
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 05:30
Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18

What about expansion of the trade due to legalisation? Do we want more women to prostitute themselves?
Do we want the ones that do to suffer? Or be protected?

Quote:

Will legalisation curtail independent operators who want to cut corners?
No. Legislation is not the same thing as enforcement.

Quote:

Secondly, we need to look at why women prostitute themselves. Some are forced, I wish we could prosecute all the pimps that force women into prostitution. The problem is the evidence, and the security of the women who choose to testify. It is very hard to get these women out of the situation that they are in, when they are strung out on drugs.
Agreed. That is why it is a very good idea to give them regular health checks to see if they are on drugs.

Quote:

The other kind is that this is very easy money to make, especially in areas that do not have much employment. You can make much more doing tricks, than you can working at a full-time job in some areas, dramatically increasing the frusteration of those who choose another route.
Yes, but it's not exactly a long term career. As for those frustrated with poorly paid jobs, no one is stopping them from getting an education and moving up the ladder.

Quote:

Why don't we offer shelter, food, etc. for any woman that we see on the street prostituting herself, rather than money for a trick?
Because she's not in it for food or shelter - she's in it for large amounts of cash. Why don't YOU offer sex industry workers large amounts of money NOT to work if you are so upset? Oh yes, that would annoy the hard paying workers...

Seriously, offering them food and shelter doesn't solve their cash needs.

Quote:
I can remember seeing notices, from families asking people to help get their mother home so that she would be off the street. Will legalisation help these people, or encourage others to follow the same path?
Maybe it will help the mothers who work in the sex industry to earn a fair living with less fear and violence.

Quote:
Now that's an effective argument. You don't see the Christians insulting their opponents.
I've heard plenty of clergy of all denominations handing it out by the bucketload.

Quote:
Another argument looks at the functions of laws. One effect is to encourage the lowest-common denominator, that whatever is legal, is also praise-worthy.
That's why some things are taxed, to raise the price and lower the consumption.

Quote:
I would argue that if one believes prostitution to be immoral, you should argue for prostitution to be kept illegal, and the nature of the restrictions up for grabs, as there are different ways to tackle the problem.
BULLSHIT! KILLING IS IMMORAL - HOW MANY COUNTRIES HAVE ARMED PERSONNEL THAT KILL PEOPLE?

Quote:
Now, what motivation will there be for crackdown on the illegal operators, other than the profit the government gets from taxation?
Gee ObiWan, why do cops chase criminals?
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84