Old April 11, 2001, 00:36   #1
jake03
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Oh no techs
I had something interesting happen the other day. I was letting my kids play and he went into the cheat menu and picked the techs he wanted to start with. Then he save the senerio like you guys told me. When we played the game everything want as expected for a while but after about the forth or fith tech advance at the advances stoped. Is this normal? I had a hard finding something to build. I endded up building troops and hoping someone would kill them so I could build more.

Old April 11, 2001, 09:48   #2
drake
King

Local Time: 18:57
This is only a guess, so don't quote me on this:

If your kids had some advanced techs from the beginning of the game, it might be possible that the advances stop because you've hit a "dead end" on the tech tree. Basically meaning, that if you take a certain tech route that is supposed to lead to one of the techs that you already cheated to get, you won't get a choice for anything because something in the structure of the tree is corrupted.

I really don't know. I just felt bad that one had responded to your question in atleast some manner
Old April 11, 2001, 13:11   #3
East Street Trader
Prince

Advances do come more slowly as time passes. If you look at the trade adviser screen you'll se a little table at the bottom which tells you how many of each resource you are producing and how many turns it will take before you make the next advance.

Typically the first one will come in three or four turns, the next something similar (because you will have got a couple of extra cities down and your furst cities will have grown) but then it might take half a dozen turns to reah the third and, say 11 or 12 to reach the firth.

After that there is no real "typical" period because the number of beakers you are producing will depend on how succesful your civ is and whether you are giving priority to development or being distracted by war.

At the same time as the beaker count required for each advance goes up the time taken for each move gets longer. More is going on and there are more units in view.

So it may be that it just seemed as though the advances had stopped - if you keep playing they will come again.
Old April 11, 2001, 13:20   #4
drake
King

Local Time: 18:57
You're of course right EST if thats the case, I just assumed he meant STOP stopped, not just seemingly stopped
Old April 12, 2001, 10:51   #5
jake03
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by drake on 04-11-2001 01:20 PM
You're of course right EST if thats the case, I just assumed he meant STOP stopped, not just seemingly stopped

Yea that's what I meant stopped. I played on through several centuries and no more techs. And to be honest it was quite fun to play that way you really have to keep in mind what you are doing with resourses. But after the 4th tech the only other advance I got was from huts or capturing an enimy city. I have the senerio saved so I went back and played it again thinking I had done something wrong but same results.

Old April 14, 2001, 04:46   #6
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 23:57
How many percentage give you to the science ?
Old April 15, 2001, 00:12   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 17:57
Interesting...that shouldn't happen, in light of the fact that you are perfectly capable of 'skipping' prerequisite techs through trading, stealing, and conquest without damaging your research. Are you sure that no other item in the .txt file were changed (the reaserch paradigm, for example)?

Is a tech actually being researched (shows in the science view as being researched)?
Old April 17, 2001, 20:16   #8
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

did your kids do anything else that you now of, like try to rearange tech order or something?
Old April 17, 2001, 21:57   #9
Archangel MasterBob

It is so extremely easy to mess up and hit a dead end with the tech tree, I have done so many times with tech tree when creating scenarios. Its the hardest part of scenario editing in my opinion.

------------------
Join me in World Conquest

Check out Arcade Portal Message from an Archangel: Do not try seek perfection for perfection is the most imperfect thing that ever existed.

Old April 18, 2001, 06:47   #10
jake03
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Smokey tha nuke man on 04-17-2001 08:16 PM
did your kids do anything else that you now of, like try to rearange tech order or something?

I will have to look at all the settings very carefully to see if something else was touched. It is quite an intersting game to play. You have to change your entire style in order to get rid of things. I did not have Caravans or diplomats so everthing the cities built cost me. You end up cheering for the bad guys once in a while. Starting battles you hope to loose in order to get rid of some troops.