Old June 25, 2003, 16:43   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Should i get Imp1, now that ive got Imp2?
I recently purchased and am enjoying Imperialism 2. Is there any reason to get the original Imperialism?

I realize that Imp covers a later time period, and has a somewhat different economic model, etc. But this is a fairly abstract game, and I cant see going to the bother (not much expense) of getting and installing Imp 1 just for the time period, unless theres something unique about the gameplay.

So were all the gameplay changes improvements?
Old June 25, 2003, 22:12   #2
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Military-wise, yes.

Infrastructure- and economics-wise, it is a matter of opinion. The Imperialism resource model had an interesting third tier.
Old June 26, 2003, 14:24   #3
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
Military-wise, yes.

Infrastructure- and economics-wise, it is a matter of opinion. The Imperialism resource model had an interesting third tier.
I played the demo a long time ago but dont remember it real well - you converted resources into materials into goods ? And ISTR you had to build rail cars for land transport.

Those sound good in theory, but one thing im liking about Imp2 after playing a lot of Civ2 and a little SMAC is its relative elegance - im not sure I want another level of economics in this game - though i guess without the new world the whole exploration conquest is thinner in Imp.
Old June 27, 2003, 00:29   #4
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 21:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In 2, a lot of the logistical stuff was handled for you automatically, leaving you to concentrate on playing the game. You can by 1 if you want, but IMHO it's not as good as 2.
Old July 1, 2003, 07:19   #5
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 06:32
get Imperialism, it rules.
Old July 5, 2003, 05:16   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:32
Imperialism
Old July 5, 2003, 18:14   #7
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 05:32
Imperialism 1

Old July 5, 2003, 23:47   #8
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:32
i need a manual ....
Old July 6, 2003, 00:36   #9
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yes, you do.
Old July 8, 2003, 00:28   #10
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

actually you can dl it at underdogs site...where i got the game from...so when i have the time i will...too busy right now...

but its confusing not knowing what i am doing
Old July 8, 2003, 03:51   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:32
I had the game, not impressed.
Old July 9, 2003, 23:42   #12
War4ever
Emperor

why not UR?
Old July 10, 2003, 07:13   #13
Glen
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:32
You can download the game FREE from here so even if your unsure you might aswell try as its free anywayz, just gotta download it!

~Glen

Last edited by Glen; July 15, 2003 at 10:24.
Old July 10, 2003, 11:57   #14
War4ever
Emperor

good link...i got it from there, make sure you dl the manual too if you hve never played before
Old July 11, 2003, 04:13   #15
Glen
Warlord

The game really shines in gameplay, the gfx are pretty poor, but economy model is very good and the turned based combat can be fun, if you dont mind the old gfx and you are looking for a game with solid gameplay and replayablity then this is for you, i was hooked for about 2/3weeks but with new games coming out all the time i find it hard to stay hooked to old games.

If anyone has a taste for the golden oldies whatever the genre then click this link for a website that has LOADS of old games with about 80% of them free to download (NOT illegal - just games on public domain, freeware etc...)

Last edited by Glen; July 14, 2003 at 09:01.
Old July 11, 2003, 10:19   #16
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
The game really shines in gameplay, the gfx are pretty poor, but economy model is very good and the turned based combat can be fun, if you dont mind the old gfx and you are looking for a game with solid gameplay and replayablity then this is for you, i was hooked for about 2/3weeks but with new games coming out all the time i find it hard to stay hooked to old games.

If anyone has a taste for the golden oldies whatever the genre then click this link for a website that has LOADS of old games with about 80% of them free to download (NOT illegal - just games on public domain, freeware etc...)

please delete the above link so that this thread does not get closed. Links to that site are not allowed here. In addition to freeware, and games in the public domain, that site includes games that the publisher no longer supports, but which it has not explicity put in the public domain. The owners of the site say they will remove any game at the publishers request, but i dont think publishers consider that they should have the burden of searching sites for their games and then notifying them, and theyre not about to implicity accept that they do.

In particular Imperialism is NOT in the public domain, and its publisher, SSI, is NOT out of business. While its unlikely that SSI will re-release Imp, or release an Imp3, its their privilege to keep their game from being pirated. In particular I beleieve they do still licence a shovelware version of Imp2, and they may not want pirate versions of Imp competing with it.

I would also point out that Imp IS available used on Ebay and elsewhere. Buying a used game gives the seller funds to buy a new game, (as well as reducing risk of buying new games) and so is more supportive of the gaming industry than downloading a pirate copy.

I have not challenged others who said theyd dl - we each make our own decisions, and i want to be polite and not impose my views here - but posting the link will get the thread shutdown.
Old July 11, 2003, 13:35   #17
War4ever
Emperor

YEAH I have to agree wit LOTM....send links via pm only... this site doesn't like this sort of behviour publically.
Old July 14, 2003, 09:02   #18
Glen
Warlord

Well im sorry, i thort home of the underdogs was legal??? anyways i removed the link - thanks for pointing this out LOTM... wont happen again.
Old July 14, 2003, 10:46   #19
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Well im sorry, i thort home of the underdogs was legal??? anyways i removed the link - thanks for pointing this out LOTM... wont happen again.
well in general sites arent legal or illegal (at least not in the US) but their actions are or arent.

That site is obviously not doing anything illegal when it posts freeware for DL, or games that have been explicity placed in the public domain by their publishers.

There is some disagreement about the so called "abandonware" where either they have posted a game without the publishers permission, and the publisher has not contacted them one way or the other, or the publisher is out of business. AFAIK this is still a legal grey area in the States (and elsewhere?) It gets to questions of who has the burden of notification (the DL site or the publisher) and whether a publisher going out of business puts the games in the public domain, or leaves the rights with actual or potential creditors.

Because the area is a matter of controversy, i wont condemn people here for the choices they make. But the owners of this site do not allow links to sites that post such material. Given that they might have legal exposure themselves if they did so, this seems quite reasonable on their part.
Old July 15, 2003, 09:23   #20
Glen
Warlord

Yea sure, what you say makes sense, for future referance i can post links to respectable site but not to illagel or gray area sites or are you saying your not allowed to post links to sites at all
Old July 15, 2003, 10:17   #21
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Yea sure, what you say makes sense, for future referance i can post links to respectable site but not to illagel or gray area sites or are you saying your not allowed to post links to sites at all
you can post links to sites. You cant post links to that well - known site. If you have a question about a specific site i suppose you could ask in apolyton/comunity forum. IIUC most sites that focus on abandonware include the grey area stuff mentioned above. I think there are freeware sites that would also included software explicitly placed in the public domain.
Moderators?
Old July 15, 2003, 10:26   #22
Glen
Warlord

Okay LOTM thanks for informing me