View Poll Results: (The Real) Repoll on Replacing InfoNets
Research Planetary Nets unless it is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the Borg will trade it to us for one ot the level 1 techs (and whatever other modest incentive the Cuspidore has to offer) 2 50.00%
Reseach Planetarly Nets ONLY IF a deal with the Borg is DEFINITELY NOT happening 1 25.00%
Research whatever tech the Borg suggest if they are going along with the Cuspidore's offer 0 0%
Research Progen Psych no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech 1 25.00%
Research Social Psych no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech 0 0%
Research Industrial Base no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech 0 0%
Research Biogenetics (which may not be offered) no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech 0 0%
Research Applied Physics (which may not be offered) no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech 0 0%
Death to the Cuspidore; trade his head for Planetary Nets 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25, 2003, 19:26   #1
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
(The Real) Repoll on replacement for InfoNets Tech
As promised, here is another cut at the poll to decide which tech we want to replace InfoNets with. New information that we may be able to trade for PlanetaryNets came in after some of the voting was in, so perhaps it didn't reflect the Council's opinion; I also made the deadline kind of short (and even caught myself in that trap). So here's a fresh start - if some of you who stated opinions last time don't weigh in with opinions in this one, I will attempt to take your previously expressed opinions into account, but that could be difficult unless all voters also post their views (which might be asking too much).

The decision will come up immediately when we open the 2116 turn.

As before, I think that the choices will be::
  • Progen Psych
  • Planetary Nets
  • Industrial Base
  • Social Psych
with an outside possibility of BioGenetics and/or AppliedPhysics instead of some of those.

As to whether or not the Borg will trade us PlanNets for one of the level one techs (instead of the level 2 tech Doc:Flex that they know we have) remains to be seen, but IMhO it would be a waste of tech points for us to rediscover it when there is a more than reasonable chance of getting it from the Borgs, if not right away, then shortly, in any case.

As you may know, I took the liberty of offering them the choice of the 3 other techs as bait for PlanNets; I think it would be reasonable to offer them some Pieces of Eight too, if they ask for something more - I would start by offering them 25 and maybe going as high as 50 if they asked nicely, but hopefully they won't want to haggle anyway.

I'm gonna make the poll options a little complicated this time, but hopefully most of you are still sober, so you'all can handle it.

[list=1][*]Research Planetary Nets unless it is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the Borg will trade it to us for one ot the level 1 techs (and whatever other modest incentive the Cuspidore has to offer)[*]Reseach Planetarly Nets ONLY IF a deal with the Borg is DEFINITELY NOT happening[*]Research whatever tech the Borg suggest if they are going along with the Cuspidore's offer[*]Research Progen Psych no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech[*]Research Social Psych no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech[*]Research Industrial Base no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech[*]Research Biogenetics (which may not be offered) no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech[*]Research Applied Physics (which may not be offered) no matter what - making a deal with the Borg only if they will accept that tech[*]Death to the Cuspidore; trade his head for Planetary Nets[/list=1] I left off the possibility of trading Doc:Flex to them since I gathered that that was unacceptable, feel free to voice an opinion for that if you want.

Basically, the question seems to be whether or not those who want Planetary Nets want it enough to forego the likely possibility of getting both Planetary Nets and one of the 3 other techs.

I'm going to put this poll out for 3 days this time instead of 1 - the issue may be moot by then, but the Borg may conceivably keep us hanging while they make up their minds - Drogue is seemingly in Europe, so there are some time zone conflicts - I haven't gotten a response from him yet (and I used regular email, so I don't know for sure when/if he got my messsage), so we'll have to wait and see. This way, we should have enough time to see what they may have to say. I suppose options 1 & 4-8 would apply to the situation where game-turn time runs out before the Borg get back to us as well.
Old June 26, 2003, 13:56   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
I presume that I can't vote, since I know what the Borgs will or won't accept (they want the Cuspidore's head for their newest cyborg - Function Cuspidore de-Kappa-tated ......)

G.
Old June 26, 2003, 14:21   #3
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:32
I want plan nets so we can probe their behinds if they won't deal. Either they make a deal or we research it ourselves. Choosing plan nets is not final as we can still make a deal with them as long as they are willing to gift plan nets to us prior to us discovering it and willing to accept the later gift in return
Old June 26, 2003, 16:13   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:32
The cycon seem to be agreeing to the deal but say it is subject to a vote. So I am telling them that we plan to research plan nets anyway an have them gift it to us on the turn of discovery, switch to and discover that second tech and then gift back the additional tech.

Thats what I am telling them but I don't want to do it. Since tech cost is set at the time research STARTS we will have a lesser tech cost if they trade us plan nets AFTER our next discovery.

So I propose a minor deception-- we research soc psych but indicate we are researching plan nets ( or be silent on the issue and let them assume) but we require them to gift us plan nets on the discovery turn. They do this and we accept their gift AFTER discovering soc psych and choosing our next tech. We then gift soc psych back .

The purpose of the minor deception is twofold

1. If they know we are not researching plan nets, all their concerns about giving us the probe foil ability that we would not otherwise get ,may resurface and foil the trade

2. The difference of one tech in hand can make a significant difference in the cost of the next tech. It can sometimes mean a difference of several years in research time

Note that no deception is necessary if we are confident that the cycon will honor the deal that maniac has struck
Old June 26, 2003, 18:19   #5
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:32
I'm reasonably convinced by this one from Drogue (it's the same as I posted in the related threads):
Quote:
Planetary Networks
We have agreed to offer it. Final details to be arranged, as you did mention about a few Ec in return, but the main thing is that we trade for our mutual gain. We will trade Planetary Networks for Social Psych
I'm still not totally sure that they won't waffle some more, but it does seem like it is for real, so I guess I'm in agreement that we should go with Social Psych and most likely will do that in the actual turn after letting a number of hours go by to give the Cap'ns a chance to chime in if they want.