Old June 28, 2003, 10:19   #31
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
an engrossing atmosphere and storyline
You really think so? I actually thought the storyline was thé big minus that turned me off. I found it impossible to suspend my disbelief. I mean, at one point I owned quarter of the universe with those warlike aliens. I knew the location of many planets of other races, and had killed all the traders (thus reducing the income of the other races ). Still, according to the storyline, my existence was still unknown to the universe, except to some pirates I had to eliminate.
Also, in the intro movie of the humans they talk about the humans having an empire. But when you start the game as the Solarians, you only own one planet, and it isn't even Earth! Hello?!?
Perhaps the storyline becomes better later, I don't know. I didn't play the game very long because of that ridiculous storyline. Fortunately I hadn't bought the game myself, but was playing the copy of my elder brother.

Have you played ImpGal1 btw? Now that's what I call good cinematics and storyline for its time. Well at least until you discover you're a cyborg. Then it simply becomes conquer colonize conquer.
Old June 28, 2003, 10:26   #32
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
You really think so? I actually thought the storyline was thé big minus that turned me off. I found it impossible to suspend my disbelief. I mean, at one point I owned quarter of the universe with those warlike aliens. I knew the location of many planets of other races, and had killed all the traders (thus reducing the income of the other races ). Still, according to the storyline, my existence was still unknown to the universe, except to some pirates I had to eliminate.
Yes I think so. I never had the above happen to me. The game has the random events and missions that seem an inspiration to GalCiv, and I found those made the gameplay a lot more interesting than just running around and conquering things.

Quote:
Also, in the intro movie of the humans they talk about the humans having an empire. But when you start the game as the Solarians, you only own one planet, and it isn't even Earth! Hello?!?
Uh, "Sol" is the name of our star, the Sun. The star systems don't go by individual planets, but rather by the star names. That's why our home system is called Sol in the game. You'll see this in GalCiv as well.

The "Empire" was fledgling, from what I remember. That makes it perfectly reasonable to assume it encompasses perhaps only the worlds in our solar system.

No, I've never even seen IG1...It's fairly old, isn't it?
Old June 28, 2003, 11:29   #33
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Uh, "Sol" is the name of our star, the Sun. The star systems don't go by individual planets, but rather by the star names. That's why our home system is called Sol in the game.
From what I remember, every time you started a new game, you started on a random planet. So some times you may indeed start at a star called Sol, but other times your "fledging empire" may be located somewhere in the Magellan Cloud (sp in Eng?).

Quote:
No, I've never even seen IG1...It's fairly old, isn't it?
Indeed. A DOS game even, though it was sold on 2 CD-ROMs, due to the many great cinematics.
Old June 28, 2003, 12:51   #34
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
From what I remember, every time you started a new game, you started on a random planet. So some times you may indeed start at a star called Sol, but other times your "fledging empire" may be located somewhere in the Magellan Cloud (sp in Eng?).
I just checked...you always begin on Sol.
Old June 28, 2003, 14:13   #35
Maniac

Then you must somehow be playing another version. I started two Solarian games as well just a few minutes ago. The first time I started on Center 1; the second time on Exterior 1. Also in the intro animation a space fleet is attacking a planet. That would seem very odd if the Solarian Empire only is one planet or solar system big. Also it would be very odd that until 2327 humanity wouldn't colonize even one other star system, but after that year they would suddenly expand like mad. Also, if they hadn't colonized or visited other star systems before, how could that Brotherhood of Tears have knowledge about those crystals? Truly, the storyline is as inconsistent as it can possibly be...