Old June 26, 2003, 14:35   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PEACE diplomatic exchanges
I received the following PM from johndmuller. I'll post it here for others to see. Btw, may I suggest that the diplomatic PMs will be posted on the private forum in the future? That will make discussing our response much easier.

This is a cc our latest message to Drogue, who is apparently having difficulty in receiving them (and who also seems to have gone offline in the middle of this dialog (going home from work?), which is of immediate urgency to us as we are now holding the turn and this matter needs to be addressed at the very start of out turn.

quote:

johndmuller wrote on 06-26-2003 12:27:
It's troubling that you did not receive the previous message at all, let alone in a timely fashion; it was sent by regular email to the address you sent your email from.

Anyways, we pirates must right away select a replacement tech for the Infonets you'all so graciously provided, presumably from the list we sent you. A number of our Cap'ns are desirous of obtainin' the PlanNets tech, however, as I am sure you will appreciate, were we to research it ourselves, that would be a waste of our mutual research capabilities in that we could instead have researched a tech that neither or us already has. Since we will also get this new research target the following turn, there is not sufficient intervening time for further negotiations. We understand the level 1, level 2 thing (although it is often a meaningless distinction and they all cost the same to research), but we are unable to trade Doc:Flex at this time and have no other level 2 tech to offer. However, we may be able to offer a modest number of Pieces of Eight in an attempt to make the deal seem more even to those in the collective who adher to the level 1/ level 2 analysis. You might consider also that the fact that we are offering you a choice of the 3 techs is also a form of additional payment. This is an urgent matter for us, please reply at your earliest convenience.

The terraforming offer was for (sort of) real, but the details and schedule would have to be worked out and might be challenging, especially in the early game.

Pacting is certainly an option we are also considering and are reasonably amenable to, although current tech matters are currently occupying the Council's time.

the Cuspidore

quote:

Cuspidore,

I am sorry, we did not receive that last message. With regards to the quote:
I expect that you may be able to sign a for-booty contract with the Pirate Maritime Service to handle some of your shipping and/or terraforming requirements in the meanwhile
Are you saying that you will terraform the seas near us for money? How much would you want? A strange proposal, but not devoid of logic. I will put it before the collective.

As for the tech trading, I have been informed that for a level one tech, such as Soc Psy or Ind Base, we would only be prepared to trade another level one tech. We will have Biogentics in a couple of turns, if that is acceptable? I am sorry, much as I wish to, I am unable to offer you Plan Nets for a level one tech. What did you think to our offer of a Pact at some point?

- Prime Function Drogue Beta-8
Old June 26, 2003, 15:57   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 04:35
If you wish. I was waiting until I had an offer for you (which I do now, and was about to post) before I came before you to discuss it. I have received this PM from JDM:
Quote:
It's troubling that you did not receive the previous message at all, let alone in a timely fashion; it was sent by regular email to the address you sent your email from.

Anyways, we pirates must right away select a replacement tech for the Infonets you'all so graciously provided, presumably from the list we sent you. A number of our Cap'ns are desirous of obtainin' the PlanNets tech, however, as I am sure you will appreciate, were we to research it ourselves, that would be a waste of our mutual research capabilities in that we could instead have researched a tech that neither or us already has. Since we will also get this new research target the following turn, there is not sufficient intervening time for further negotiations. We understand the level 1, level 2 thing (although it is often a meaningless distinction and they all cost the same to research), but we are unable to trade Doc:Flex at this time and have no other level 2 tech to offer. However, we may be able to offer a modest number of Pieces of Eight in an attempt to make the deal seem more even to those in the collective who adher to the level 1/ level 2 analysis. You might consider also that the fact that we are offering you a choice of the 3 techs is also a form of additional payment. This is an urgent matter for us, please reply at your earliest convenience.

The terraforming offer was for (sort of) real, but the details and schedule would have to be worked out and might be challenging, especially in the early game.

Pacting is certainly an option we are also considering and are reasonably amenable to, although current tech matters are currently occupying the Council's time.

the Cuspidore
I apologised for the email loss, possibly down to my shakey email account ATM. I said that we would not be able to trade Planetary Networks for a level 1 tech, as that was what was said on the last discussion about this. I also said that we would be happy to trade Biogenetics for either Social Psych or Industrial Base. He mentioned that they would consider money for Planetary Networks, and I said if he were to offer a level 1 tech and a few Ec, to make us an offer and I would see.

What should we do? If they don't want Biogen (he seems a little miffed that we won't trade Planetary Networks for their new tech, yet they won't trade Doc Flex) then do we offer Applied Physics (level 1) as a straight swap, or ask for tech and money for Planetary Networks. We could possibly say that we won't trade Planetary Networks for anything other than Doc Flex, although I'm not too bothered about Doc Flex ATM. I am happy trading tech for tech, but I know others feel differently. I think if we don;t give them Plan Nets in trade, they will find the PUT and trade fit with them instead, meaning we don't get the benefit. Therefore, I vote that we trade as much as possible, while we have the advantage of a trading partner. Another option is to say we would only trade that to a Pact Brother, and ask them to sign. Then we know they won't double cross us with probes. What do people think? I need info ASAP.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 26, 2003, 16:10   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

They asked me to negotiate with them in your absence. After first refusing to give them PlaNets just like that, Flubber sent a PM to me that they would research PlaNets anyway, if we didn't give it to them. After that I said I then agreed with the trade, but I said it first needed to be discussed among the Consciousness. I've asked for a day, so I've bought us some time. I'll post the PM details in a while, when Poly is not so busy.
Old June 26, 2003, 16:20   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I have been told by JDM. I was able to talk, it's just the used email, and my system isn't so good. He said you had agreed to trade for Planetary Networks. I am also for it, however JDM wants assurances now. Should we go for it. If we agree to trade for it? Shall we ask for a no trade on embargo?

Old June 26, 2003, 16:27   #5
Drogue
staff

I received
Quote:
Ahoy Prime Function:
In your time away from the commlinks and feeling a bit busy myself, I deputized Cap'n Flubber (he styled himself Temporary Ambassador Flubber) to find someone to negotiate with - he managed to contact Secondary Function Maniac, to whom I had previously copied my message to you in a (futile at the time) attempt to find someone else to discuss this with. In any event, it appears that Temporary Ambassador Cap'n Flubber was able to make a convincing enough case for the trade of Social Psych for Planetary Nets to change Secondary Function Maniac's position on the subject (is SF Maniac fond of XenoWeed?) and in his opinion likely changing the majority on your end to allow for that trade. Hopefully, that is all true and will happen OK. Some reassurances on your part that the deal is indeed happening would be greatly appreciated so that any overly suspicious Cap'ns will be convinced that the deal is for real (as we will have to commit to the Social Psych right away).
Yours,
the Cuspidore

PS: once this is settled, we can get down to the business of dealing with other matters, such as joint research planning and pacting, etc. - BB
from JDM.

I have provisionally written
Quote:
We can certainly commit to trading it for something, but our fears would be greatly eased if you would agree to trade Doc. Flex, or if we were Pact Brothers, as giving probe foils to a faction that is not willing to trade Doc. Flex. has worried some people.

I am afraid we can give no definate assurances that we will trade Planetary Networks, as much of the faction is undecided. However both myself and Maniac would, although we are a little uneased. Would you be willing to sign an embargo to say that you won't trade it on to other factions, and that you will not use them against us (as forbidden by our treaty)?
Is this OK, too far, not far enough? Time is of the essence here.

Old June 26, 2003, 17:15   #6
Maniac

Drogue, IMO we have to do everything to prevent them from choosing PlaNets. I'd just say we agree with the deal. We can change opinions later, like ask for some more cash or so if we give them PlaNets... Right now, we just need to keep the negotiational advantage!

Below my PM conversations for those interested in my methods of diplomacy:

My response to Cuspidore's PM:

Quote:
Hi JohnDMuller,

I've just read this PM, and I don't know if you have already received a response (to which persons have you sent this PM btw?), so I may be saying things twice. Also Drogue has only provided us in the Consciousness with a summary of the diplomatic exchanges, not the full PMs, so I'm not aware of the exact details. Perhaps you could send your PMs to other persons besides Drogue in the future? Besides Drogue, other active CyCon members are in order of activity me, Corellion (our current Foreign Affairs Function btw), Cedayon/TKG/DeathByTheSword and Chaunk. Should we in the future send our diplomatic mail to other persons besides you too?

Anyway, I don't know if I'm releasing "sensitive information" by telling this to you, but what follows is the majority opinion in the Consciousness:

It is not so much the level 1 / level 2 tech difference that is keeping us from trading PlaNets to you. It is rather the fact that PlaNets will allow you to build probe foils. That in itself is not really a problem (after all we proposed a pact, so you would get infiltrator information anyway). What disturbed some of us in the Consciousness was that the Pirates refused to trade Doc:Flex. Then our logic went as follows: if you refuse to grant us the ability to build probe foils (by giving us Doc:Flex), then why should we grant you that ability (by giving you PlaNets)? IMO Doc:Flex seems an (thé) only fair countertech for PlaNets. Giving us a modest amount of Eights won't change that.

What three techs are you offering us btw? The only two Drogue mentioned were IndBase and SocPsych. If you would choose one of those btw, SocPsych would bear our preference.

Greetings,

Mani Alpha-3
Second Function of the Cybernetic Consciousness
As you can see I asked him to send PMs to all the most active CyCon members. That should make discussion easier and quicker.
I then thought to play it open and say exactly why we are reluctant to trade PlaNets. Not so diplomatic I know. I'm not really fit for diplomacy.
I said SocPsych bore our preference, as I thought it was mentioned in the SP thread, we should get a rec commons firs before starting on an SP.

Then I saw I had received the following PM from Flubber:

Quote:
Are you authorized to negotiate tech trades for the cyborgs??

The cuspidore has given me negotiating privileges in an attempt to make a deal. Please have a representative of your government pm me here or email me at sharris4141@yahoo.com to discuss terms
Obviously he was unaware of the PM I just sent to johndmuller. So I replied:

Quote:
Well, we haven't got such a strict government hierarchy in the CyCon. But if the Prime Function or Foreign Affairs Function is absent, I'm the one with the highest authority, yes. I just sent a PM to johndmuller btw. This is the transcript:

*snip - read above*
He replied:

Quote:
Our logic is simpler

WE will switch and have Plan nets in a few turns if you do not trade with us. Neither of us garners any additional benefit and we will have probe foils.

If you do agree to trade,we will forgo researching plan nets and instead garner another tech. We will benefit by getting that other tech and by providing it to you, we will share the benefit with you exactly equally.

If we trade we will have plan nets at exactly the same time as if we research it ourselves. ( I assume we would do the trade when we get that additional tech) The only difference from the no-trade scenario is that we will both have the same EXTRA tech. What can be fairer than that?
My reaction was "Damn, you smart bastard". I wanted to prevent him from choosing PlaNets, so I pretended to agree with a PlaNets<->SocPsych deal. If PEACE then chose something else as research project, we could still change opinion, screw them royally, deny them PlaNets and propose another tech exchange deal. To allow a change of heart, I said it would need to be polled in the CyCon to confirm me decision. Therefore I replied:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

Hmm... Good point indeed! It doesn't really make any difference at all then. Well in that case I would agree on the tech trade and give you PlaNets in three turns, or whenever it is that you will have researched SocPsych (or IndBase if SocPsych isn't available...). As I can't make a definite decision, a poll will of course have to be organized to confirm a PlaNets<->SocPsych tech trade, but since I previously voted against trading PlaNets to you, the majority will shift in favour of PlaNets trading when I change my vote. So I think I can say we have a deal! PlaNets for SocPsych?

Greetings,

Second Function Mani Alpha-3
While I was writing the above PM, I received this PM btw:

Quote:
we believe the logic of my proposal is unassailable-- If our research ends in year 21xx we can then have

no trade-- we will have plan nets and no additional benefit to either side

trade-- we will have plan nets and we will both have exactly the same tech in addition to what the no-trade scenario would bring

We do not see adding any additional compensation since in either scenario we get plan nets so in essence the only question for you is whether you are willing to let us get soc psych in return for you getting soc psych.

Please respond to at least let me know when a final decision may be forthcoming. WE wanted to know before we choose our tech. If you delay we will choose to research plan nets, in which case , to do a trade, you would have to gift us plan nets in advance of our completing it ourselves

Temporary Ambassador Flubber
Damn, he said what I feared most: PEACE choosing PlaNets, putting us for a "fait accompli", and us loosing our advantage in tech negotiations.

I simply replied to be sure:

Quote:
Hi Captain Flubber,

I just sent you a PM. I hope you've received it before opening your turn. Just to be sure I'll say it again : I agree with trading PlaNets.

Greetings,

Mani-Alpha-3
I hope I didn't make it too obvious I didn't want him to open the turn and choose PlaNets...
Some time later I got the following PM, again from Flubber:

Quote:
Agreed

The only issue I would have is that I fear we may have to switch to plan nets now anyway as we would not want our plans to go awry if the majority somehow still votes against the trade anyway-- There are game mechanisms to deal with this though ( such as your "gifting" plan nets to us on the turn we will discover it and us gifting our new tech in return

Please confirm when the deal is sealed.

Temporary ambassador Flubber
Then I thought: "****. I shouldn't have told him we had to poll first. I simply should've told him I agreed with the deal, making him choose SocPsych."
Sorry for my big mouth... Anyway, I replied:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

Quote:
Please confirm when the deal is sealed.

Do you mean to confirm when a poll has a majority in favour of trading? I hope not, because that may take another day before enough members have voted.

Greetings,

Maniac
Response from Flubber:

Quote:
Ah this is the tricky part of a democracy game

In a regular PBEM if a player says they have a tech trade deal thats good enough .

But in a democracy game, theoretically you could be outvoted even if, as here, the proposal is only sensible and logical and should appeal to cycon sensibilities. So when does a deal become a deal that we are entitled to rely on ??

I trust you to be honorable but we are all subject to our populace.

I appreciate that it will take a day or so to confirm the deal. In the meantime we will likely choose plan nets and then have to receive a gift from you of plan nets on the turn we would otherwise discover it and then gift back the new tech. I trust that this mechanism would work for you ??

Temporary Ambassador Flubber
Flubber has outwitted me. Sorry pals.
My last attempt to win some time, and the current end of the discussion:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

Drogue has come on-line, and he said that perhaps we should ask some extra cash besides after all.
Also, just hypothetically for the moment, but what would you be thinking of trading for Applied Physics instead of PlaNets?

As you can see, there is still discussion on the exact terms of the deal. So it might be smart to wait another day before opening the turn, if you don't mind the waiting.

Greetings,

Maniac

Oh yeah, during that discussion with Flubber I also received a PM from johndmuller:

Quote:
Thank you for your prompt and forthright reply - a straight-shooter such as yerself'd make a fine pirate matey.

I have involved Cap'n Flubber in the negotiations, as it has been killing me timewise today, so you may next here from either of us (who may or may not have informed the other in advance of exactly what they were saying (although I believe that we will be generally on the same page anyway)).

Briefly addressing some specifics -

Altogether, I sent this message to Drogue, Archaic and Tkg, besides yourself, with varying mention of who else it went to (as I was hoping each one would be the last, but you'all kept diaappearing).

Some of our Cap'ns are pretty hard line about not trading Doc:Flex at this time - I see the relevance of the comparison with PlanNets, but they might say that there are more applications, (particularly warships which would be a threat to us, but also transports and seaformers which would be a benefit to you) deriving from Doc:Flex - that PlanNets is somewhat more one-dimensional. Whatever, that would be for arguing, and hopefully we can work our way around this so that we don't have to research the PlanNets ourselves at the cost of a foregone tech between the two of us and perhaps a cost to our developing friendship as well.

The third tech was Progen Psych, I can see why Drogue might have not bothered mentioning it.

BTW, my email is johndmuller@msn.com - I can't say which is more dependable all around, given that I could delete a message accidentally as spam and apparently Drogue & I misconnected as well, but Poly is frustratingly slow and sometimes broken, so that is no fun either.

the Cuspidore
Due to Poly slowness I replied to him using hotmail, so I don't have a copy of what I wrote him. Basically I said I had already settled the discussion with Flubber, and asked him if Archaic was a typing error.
Old June 26, 2003, 17:34   #7
Drogue
staff

Ok, do not fret Maniac, you ahve served us well. JDM all us offered us money too. I agree about sayign we agree to it. I have said we are pretty sure but can say nothing definite until we have the results of the poll. I think we will be able to, but asked for some money to sway us. Flubber is good, but we can outsmart them later. We may lose favour if we say no later however. Flubber is right about the trading, however we can say to them "you get Soc Psy too for nothing, is it worth a few gold to agree get it, to convince some of the CyCon?" However I think if we get a straight swap, that will be good. However we can say to his post about them getting it anywhere the same thing about Doc Flex. I think we will do ok. At the worst we get Soc Psy for Plan Nets, at the best, we get some Ec too. We can use JDM's PM stating
Quote:
However, we may be able to offer a modest number of Pieces of Eight in an attempt to make the deal seem more even to those in the collective who adher to the level 1/ level 2 analysis.
as a weapon, that we accepted it presuming that, as it was offered. What do you think?

Old June 26, 2003, 17:35   #8
Drogue
staff

What's JDMs hotmail btw? Can we see if we can get him into 'Poly chat? Then with both of us, we might get consessions, all in the name of convincing the others

Old June 26, 2003, 17:57   #9
Maniac

johndmuller@msn.com
Old June 26, 2003, 18:18   #10
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
i agree
Old June 26, 2003, 18:22   #11
Drogue
staff

We have a majority, since we never get more than 6 in a poll, we have 3, and if there is a tie, the person playing (one of us 2) decides I have PMed JDM already to say we will trade, but with details to be negotiated

Old June 27, 2003, 00:41   #12
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 23:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmmm... they seem awfully desparate to get us to trade them PN. And they seem to keep pushing that they are going to research it immediately.

It seems to me that they are trying to throw us into a panic, forcing us to trade away PN to them for little, so that we can get some use out of the trade. The reason I think they are doing this is that they have little intention of actually researching it soon. They want us to think that they are going to, so that we dump it now. I suggest you tell them that we can research social psych ourselves too, and that we may just research Doc: Flex (pull their own stunts on them). Their argument that "we could research it anyway" is a fallacy, given that that is not the point of the trade... the idea is WHEN you ge the tech. They want it sooner, and if they research it, they have to get it later. That is the key here. Let's keep the diplomatic ping-pong going back and forth and get them a little nervous.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old June 27, 2003, 06:48   #13
Drogue
staff

Corellion: I don't think they are trying to make us panic. I think they simply want PN ASAP. You do have a point though, but JDM has been much less forceful in his correspondance with me. As for getting it sooner, they will get it in in 3 turns if they research it now IIRC, as they will if they research Soc Psy, and then trade for PN. They get it just as soon researching it themselves, but they don't get Social Psych doing that.

Manaic: I suggest you conveniently forget the correspondance with Flubber, as he is a far better negotiator, and has got us to agree to a straight trade (which isn't so bad). If we just go on what JDM and I have said, as both faction leaders, then he offered Ec. If we can get a few Ec (I was thinking of asking for 40 or 50, but would settle for 10 or 20, as that could give us a nice former rush or enough to rush the RC in Logic Loop if we wanted. If we only go on what JDM has said, as being official, we get better

Old June 27, 2003, 08:31   #14
Maniac

After having slept a night over it, I agree with Corellion and I again think we should take a much stricter position about tech trading. The reason I was so quick to give in to Flubber last night was because I thought we desperately needed SocPsych to build a rec commons in Logic Loop. However, Drogue has said in another thread that he might agree with the nervestaple tactic. Perhaps others might too. This makes SocPsych much less important right now. So we might reevaluate our position and re-ask Doc:Flex, or indeed still go for SocPsych but ask cash. As Drogue said, I'd begin asking 50 ec, but personally I wouldn't go under 30 ec, seeing the big importance of the PlaNets tech, (and seeing we need the cash to rush a rec commons/tanks in Logic Loop .)

Has there been any communications btw between one of us and a Pirate since last night?
Old June 27, 2003, 09:27   #15
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Can we see if we can get him into 'Poly chat? Then with both of us, we might get consessions, all in the name of convincing the others
How about a Cycon-Peace Secure Commlink maybe? (I've also posted this link in the PEACE private forum)

Last edited by Googlie; June 27, 2003 at 10:05.
Old June 27, 2003, 09:47   #16
Drogue
staff

Maniac: No there hasn't so far. When there is I will post. Since we have agreed to trade, we will lose much face, and probably the pact, if we decide not too. However JDM did offer Ec, so I will say to him that I presumed that offer was still there when we accepted, as I was unaware of what Flubber has said. If you ignore the conversation with Flubber, as it was unofficial, since JDM and myself were already discussing terms, then we can get money. I wouldn't expect too much money at this stage, but if we can get 30 Ec, we will be good IMHO. However backing out completely would be awful at the moment.

1 think that did strike me... if they're choosing now, but will get the tech in 2 turns, that's a hell of a research rate? Either that or they are losing research points. Therefore they may already have chosen what to research. But one thing I would say: A PEACE with probe foils who like us because we traded is a lot less dangerous than a PEACE who do not like us because we did not trade who get probe foils a little later. If they get Plan Nets and we haven't got a Pact, we need to build a probe in Pi Square.

Old June 27, 2003, 09:52   #17
Maniac

I just received this PM from Flubber:

Quote:
I have no authorization to trade for applied physics at this time and there would be no hurry to do so in any event. I will bring its availability to the attention of our population however.

I don't see any logic in the request for extra cash-- the result of the deal is that we both get soc psych which we would otherwise not have. It just seems unfair that we should pay you so that we both get the same tech.

I know that I will presonally vote against any attempt to add energy credits to the deal. I want fair trade, not trade at any cost
From what I understood out of yesterday, they were busy researching InfoNets when we gave it to them. That's why they can switch right away and have another tech in two-three years.

Quoting johndmuller:
Quote:
Anyways, we pirates must right away select a replacement tech for the Infonets you'all so graciously provided
Old June 27, 2003, 10:06   #18
Maniac

So, should I ignore the PM from Flubber? His blunt refusal to give us some extra ec ticked me off btw. I'm becoming less and less inclined to give them the valuable PlaNets (probes, Planned, VW...) in exchange for the mere ability to build SocPsych. That's a really uneven deal. From now on personally I would only trade PlaNets in exchange for Doc:Flex, and onl Biogen in exchange for SocPsych or IndBase. PlaNets<->SocPsych only in exchange for at least an extra 30 ec IMO.

They probably haven't opened the turn yet, so we won't be breaking an agreement when we change minds. That change of mind would only be because they refuse to make an even trade btw. Also I think the chances of signing a pact are very slim. Johndmuller might perhaps be in favour of one, but I can't imagine Flubber ever would.
Old June 27, 2003, 14:27   #19
Drogue
staff

Maniac: Flubber has posted on Googlie's board, and I have replied. I understand their logic, that we actually just gain Soc Psy each. Does it take the same time to research a level 2 as a level 1 tech? I was thinking that maybe it would take them longer to get Plan Nets. I am for the trade, because as they said, all it means is that we both get Soc Psy. They will get Plan Nets anyway.

I have proposed a double trade to them on Googlie's board. Doc Flex for Plan Nets, and Soc Psy for Biogen. I will see what they say. A Pact would be good though, since they won't use Probe's on us with that. Moreover, when Herc gets back, I am sure relations will improve. Let us not fret too much. They will get Plan Nets soon anyway. I vote that we research Nonlinear Math, Doc Flex and then build a couple of impact foils. They don't even have laser, so we will either take a few bases, or ask for money not to Let us get impact though. I think this deteriation in relations means that we should think of military action. Playing the CyCon, I generally find that war actually helps them. They get techs from stealing ands the extra bases. We will grow very fast doing that, get high nuts and energy sea bases, and will be able to challenge a lot better. While we have the advantage having applied physics, I think we should get impact and use this advantage.

Old June 27, 2003, 17:01   #20
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

I agree with Drogue... relations have gone down the tubes (thanks mostly to Flubber). Their insistance on getting Planetary Networks really makes me uneasy (especially given that we are such a research-intensive faction). I could only be more concerned if we were the University or were using Knowledge.

If they can agree to the double-trade, that will be very good, but otherwise let's keep it, and force them to research it themselves (afterall, they then cannot re-use those research points again, gaining a short time until they get their next tech).

Otherwise, let's switch to the more military route, going for Doc: Flex ASAP and getting Nonlinear Mathematics ASAP after that (or before, if it's not available).

BTW, should we alert them to the fact that their single-mindedness on this is really invoking suspicion on our parts? That could cause them to be a little more reasonable in their requests.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old June 27, 2003, 17:44   #21
Drogue
staff

I have an idea. I completely agree with Corellions idea. Much as tech trading is in our best interests, I am very wary of them. If only Herc were here, this would not have happened (Herc and I agree on just about everything) As it stands, if they refuse the double trade, let us beeline for Doc Flex and Non Math (indeed, even if they do trade, I propose we get Non Math) and get 1 or 2 impact foils in the waters, take a base, and then ask them for reparations

With regards to the last part, I think if we say to Flubber that we are suspicious they will decide not to trade. I think we should wait, and if we need to, I will PM JDM, as their leader, to say that we are unhappy at Flubber's inflexibility and not listening to us, and that we are suspicious. JDM has been decent through this, and if we want to make a comment without aleriting them to our 'plans' ( ) then I suggest a quiet word in his ear would suffice.

Anyone know when Herc gets back?

Old June 27, 2003, 19:01   #22
Drogue
staff

Poll for Corellion and my idea with techs and units to threaten PEACE here.

Old June 27, 2003, 20:47   #23
Drogue
staff

Have a PM from Flubber:
Quote:
Sorry
there are strong feelings that we keep doc flex to ourselves for a little while until our relationship is clarified- also we have little interest in biogenetics since our seabases come with rec tanks already installed--

As for the equality of the techs, in this instance there is no inequality as I have stated many times-- If we don't do the trade we get plan nets next year-- If we do do the trade we get plan nets next year-- The only difference is that we both get social psych as well. the logic of making this trade is clear and is an advantage to us both

There was no intent to pressure you folks-- it just seemed that maniac was saying the deal was done and I wanted to be certain of that. My messages made it clear that I knew we are all subject to a democratic decision.

In any event, Johnd was instructed to choose plan nets as our tech choice so either way we get it ( next turn IIRC)-- so now there is some pressure in the sense that we need a decision from you-- either you trade us plan nets next turn or the window to do so wioll be over as we will have it-- In fact, the mechanics of the trade must be that it be gifted from you so that we may accept your gift prior to discovering it ourself, then switch to soc psych to make the discovery.

There is one deal available and only one deal at this time. the mechanics of how techs are discovered, means that we need your decision and your action before YOU play the next turn -- otherwise the opportunity is lost

The deal is exactly fair-- we both get soc psych and are otherwise both in exactly the same position as if we did not trade
Should I reply yes or no? Do we trust them enough? They will get it next turn either way, and Soc Psy is useful, so I'm tempted to swallow my pride. We both gain that way, and we gain equally. I'm also tempted to tell them to sod themselves. If they won't trade Doc Flex, we won't trade either. It's like cutting your nose to spite your face. I am unsure. If we choose the former, I strongly favour a pact and further trading. If the later, I strongly favour war. Which is it to be?

Old June 27, 2003, 20:53   #24
Drogue
staff

I have replied with:

Quote:
There are strong feelings that we keep doc flex to ourselves for a little while until our relationship is clarified
That is exactly the feeling among the CyCon with regards to Planetary Networks. With your unwillingness to trade or sign a pact, many feel scared. If we could sign a Pact to clarify our relationship, would that trade be possible?

Quote:
The deal is exactly fair-- we both get soc psych and are otherwise both in exactly the same position as if we did not trade
While I agree it is beneficial to both, exactly fair is a strong term, and one that our factions seem to have different opinions on. If you would agree to a Pact, I think I might be able to get them to gift it to you. Otherwise, I think they will say it is too risky, as your intentions are unknown.

It is a last ditch attempt, promising nothing. If we get a Pact, I think it is beneficial, but obviously we need a poll to check. If we cannot, then we can poll, but I think we will say against it.

Old June 27, 2003, 21:30   #25
Maniac

I would tell them to sod it (though perhaps in more diplomatic wordings). I don't buy that story of "we'll get PlaNets anyway." As IIRC Corellion argued a while back, the same can be said about Doc:Flex. Btw, did you notice that the time of their discovery of PlaNets is constantly moving forwards? First it was three, then two, and now they'll get it next turn. I think they're just making up a story to pressure us into a hasty decision. It might just be possible they don't even have the option to research PlaNets.
Doctrine:Flexibility trade or no trade!
Old June 27, 2003, 21:33   #26
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

If the problem is lack of supporting votes, just count mine for whatever the Prime Function/Acting ambassador thinks is best, or just disregard my vote altogether as I really won't be around much.
Old June 27, 2003, 21:45   #27
Drogue
staff

I have received more correspindance from Flubber. I am now far more for the deal. It is my belief that their intentions are good, and towards a Pact. That could help us topple the PUT I believe we will gain from this tech. We need Social Psych. If we want to go a builder route at the moment, which is probably best for the moment, as Maniac pointed out, we do not know where they are, then having Soc Psy helps our SP production, and means we can go for another tech.

Basically, I am for this trade. We can delay our turn, so I will post a poll. We will abide by the results of that. Please people, think of our tech, one of our main goals. It is logical, we gain as much as PEACE, and we help our relations. There is no downside but our pride. Pride is not something that should overrule logic.

Old June 27, 2003, 21:46   #28
Maniac

Quote:
I will hold a snap poll to see if I can get authority to add 20 ec to the pot. Thats all I can bear to add.
Man they are really desperate after all apparently... At first they were unwilling to offer any energy credits. Anyway, my opinion is still the same (sorry Drogue...): for PlaNets we either get Doc:Flex, or SocPsych and 30 ec. Nothing less. I've had it with Flubber.

Seeing internal CyCon opinion stays divided, should we organize a poll? With what options?
Old June 27, 2003, 22:08   #29
Drogue
staff

Really? Why? I do not see the reasoning for that position now? Distrust of PEACE? I have got a concession out of Flubber. Even without it we gain in so many ways, and I cannot see where we lose. I trust JDM and especially Herc not to be militaristic, and to be for friendship. Is there another reason to say no to the trade?

Old June 27, 2003, 22:09   #30
Drogue
staff

Poll posted here BTW.