Old September 29, 2003, 14:03   #241
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 04:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
i dont agree....time for talks is over...it is time for actions...buy the tech from the AI and let us break free from the dependens on PEACE. i also agree to a military build up
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old September 29, 2003, 14:09   #242
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:36
After some thought I agree with DBTS and not with Phenix. The tech-for-tech trade option has more or less become impossible, as most of us have agreed to go for Doc:Ini and the MCC. So the choice is between buying DocFlex for 90 credits from PEACE, or for 100 credits from the Angels. When given that choice, I prefer the Angels, even though it costs ten credits more. At least we won't be enriching our perhaps-future-archenemy.
Old September 29, 2003, 15:15   #243
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

To WAR
Old September 29, 2003, 15:38   #244
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I would say send that after we've bought it, not before, if we decide to. We could try their silent trick for a little while, or reply and try to bang out a deal?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 29, 2003, 15:40   #245
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

War it is then Plan for techs? Init, Non Math and HEC, and sod giving them the one we owe them?

Old September 29, 2003, 16:06   #246
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 05:36
IF we go to war, I would buy Doc:Flex certainly from the AI. Those extra 90 EC's would only help Peace building additional defense (and what are the angels/believers going to do with it?? nothing, exactly .)

However, I still think we shoudn't break our alliance so easily
Continued diplomacy still is a viable option IMHO. We use the plan of telling them someone misplayed the turn and picked the wrong reseach. That way we can build the MCC, and we are prepared for war, but we don't burn all bridges behind us
Old September 29, 2003, 16:48   #247
Drogue
staff

I agree. Build MCC, prepare for war, but be nice. Then kill them. Kill them all *cough*

Old September 29, 2003, 17:12   #248
DeathByTheSword
King

of course be nice...keep your friends close but your enemies even closer (always wanted to use that quote )
Old September 29, 2003, 17:26   #249
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010

*BTW, I propose posting the above message as a new subjectless thread on the main board right after we send off the turn when we first attack PEACE

Edited by Drogue: While I may agree, Ride of the Valkaries is incredibly annoying when you have The Darkness playing on your computer and trying to read a thread Sound has been removed. Personally, I'd prefer no sound here at all, but this got so incessantly annoying I felt compelled to take action.

Editted by Corellion: No problem... I was going to remove it myself shortly.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.

Last edited by Corellion; September 30, 2003 at 15:54.
Old September 29, 2003, 18:13   #250
Drogue
staff

Why? How can you send a subjectless thread? We don't want others to know of our war do we?

Old September 30, 2003, 00:08   #251
Corellion
Prince

The subject can be a single space.

As for letting others know, I don't see how letting others know via this ambiguous message will affect anything. Everybody who's met PEACE will be able to figure out very quickly (either by being told, or by looking at the infiltrator screen (if they can)), and everybody who hasn't won't be able to get involved for a while.

If it bothers you, it can just be sent via PM to the PEACE higher-ups (if it works in PMs).
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old September 30, 2003, 09:00   #252
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

It would give a very bad image if we didn't respond at all, so I sent the following mail to Hercules:

Quote:
Oh darn. I read your mail just now. I'm afraid I ordered to trade with the AI. :-( Since PEACE stopped negotiating after I sent the turn to you, I assumed you were no longer interested in the deal.
In any case, a majority of the Collective was in favour of switching research to HEC after we got DocFlex, so we'll be able to finally finish the IndAut deal in some four years, and start with a clean slate. :-)

Greetings,

Maniac
If I get a response saying something like "But you switched to Doc:Ini!!!!!", I'll respond the following:

Quote:
That can't be. I'll check it out and get back to you.
Followed some time later with a mail saying:

Quote:
Hi Hercules,

I've talked to DeathByTheSword, who played our last turn. It seems the following has happened: As you probably know, Drogue is our August term Prime Function and DBTS our Second Function. Because Drogue is still very busy, he asked DBTS to play the turn. But DBTS isn't a very active CyCon member, so he hadn't read the very lengthy discussions regarding the trade with you. He just followed the orders I as External Affairs Function and Corellion as Internal Affairs Function had given. Unfortunately Corellion forgot to include the research switch to HEC in his order set. So because DBTS wasn't aware of our desire to switch to HEC, he simply selected the tech which he thought was best: Doctrine: Iniative. :-(
I understand this must be a very severe disappointment to you. To make it up partially, would you like it if I suggested the Collective to switch research to NonlMath instead of HEC after we researched Doc:Ini? That way you'll get the tech you wanted most. :-)

Greetings,

Maniac
Old September 30, 2003, 09:49   #253
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:36

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 12:54.
Old September 30, 2003, 10:23   #254
Corellion
Prince

I think this music is VERY appropriate when reading those PMs.
Old September 30, 2003, 10:37   #255
DeathByTheSword
King

i like this so much
Old September 30, 2003, 14:22   #256
Phenix
Warlord

The greedy Pirates will certainly fall for that one in their lust for NonMath
Old September 30, 2003, 14:49   #257
Maniac

Let's hope so. Anyway, a PM from Flubber. He doesn't mention anything about Doc:Ini.

Quote:
Diplo stuff

I have to apologize for my absence from the board but I have both a 4 month old son and a full time job. I can usually check the board intermittently when at my own office but I am on a project where I am working out of another company's site. Eight or ten hour gaps will be common.

I am informed that we lost our doc flex deal with you and both Herc and I are taking a ration of crap on our boards for that. I am saddened that you chose to go that route but not really suprised. I guess you guys just couldn't wait to hear back-- I guess getting Doc flex that turn was paramount for some reason

In any event, I saw your message indicating your intent to get us our tech back in three or 4 years when you complete your current research. THis will go a long way to heal our relationship. That delay has been the biggest stumbling block on our side.

WE can even start talking about eth calc or comm frequencies once we are paid back and what you might be willing to offer for those .. .

Flub
Old September 30, 2003, 15:19   #258
Drogue
staff

Extremely well done Though please remember it's September not August

Old September 30, 2003, 16:03   #259
Corellion
Prince

I think enough time has passed that we should inform PEACE of the mistake ourselves. It would be unbelievable that DBTS would not have informed us of his choice by now. We are going to need to compose a tactful and diplomatic communique informing them of the mistake and apologising profusely.
Old September 30, 2003, 18:27   #260
Drogue
staff

But we may not have read the report, or even have reports. We could quite easily not find out until our next turn, if we don't look at save files closely. I think wait until next turn, if they don't first. If we put one first, they'll think we've done it on purpose IMHO. They'll think it was all pre-planned. Or they might not. It could go either way. What does Maniac, and DBTS as EAF, think?

Old September 30, 2003, 18:41   #261
Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
What does Maniac think?
I do not think.
Err... I mean... yeah, let's wait until next turn.

But what should I respond to Flubber in the meanwhile?
Old September 30, 2003, 18:50   #262
DeathByTheSword
King

i would say also wait until next turn...but if they havent figured it out yet then tell them what happened...we cant keep the oh-it-was-a-mistake routine if someone doesnt find the mistake soon...otherwise it looks to much planned out
Old September 30, 2003, 19:08   #263
Maniac

Quote:
A sudden attack from a faction with whom you were previously drinking champagne and swilling xenorum and flirting with their secretary for war.
A slight hint from Hercules here?
Old October 1, 2003, 09:57   #264
Phenix
Warlord

Either this statement was completely random but right on the mark or Peace is getting suspicious

strange...
Old October 1, 2003, 09:59   #265
Corellion
Prince

Have you read their post in the secure commlink? Brownbeard is accusing us of being insane in some way. I can only assume this means he knows, but he hasn't mentioned anything specifically.
Old October 1, 2003, 12:18   #266
DeathByTheSword
King

i dont think we should worry about it so much...
Old October 1, 2003, 13:57   #267
Maniac

I think johndmuller has always been one of the most anti-CyCon pirates. Though combined with Hercules' comment I think we can safely assume we haven't tricked them. Still, any doubt we can seed is an advantage, so we should keep up the relative friendliness.
(What does the word "flakey" mean btw?)

Is it ok if I send this back to Flubber:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

There's no need to apologize. Real life takes precedence over this game.

I consider it a pity we haven't traded with you. If I had known you were still interested in the trade, I probably wouldn't have ordered to trade with the AI.

Btw, Corellion discovered a message of johndmuller on that CyCon-PEACE message board we haven't used for a long time. He's accusing us of being insane or so. Do you know why? Is it because of the DocFlex trade?

Greetings,

Maniac
Old October 1, 2003, 14:24   #268
Corellion
Prince

Looks good! By the way, I think it's the beginning of the new term now.
Old October 1, 2003, 14:38   #269
DeathByTheSword
King

that means I will do the talks with PEACE now ...after maniac` last message......
Old October 1, 2003, 19:18   #270
Maniac

Quote:
that means I will do the talks with PEACE now ...after maniac` last message......
I just need to finish my little chat with Flubber. It would be a little weird if you claimed you didn't know Doc:Ini was chosen.

Anyway, Flubber's latest PM:

Quote:
I have not seen the message in question and will investigate

AS for the doc flex trade, I told you we were in favor-- The poll ended with 4 in favor of energy, 2 in favor of tech and 1 in favor of telling you to buzz off-- it would have been offered in the diplo screen but for the fact that I was offline for many hours when herc was seeking feedback. I don't think herc appreciated how urgent your need was

IN any event I look forward to getting a tech back in 3-4 turns to complete the ind auto deal-- Did you go HEC??

Cheers flub
My response:

Quote:
Hi Flubber,

Quote:
I have not seen the message in question and will investigate
Thanks.

Quote:
IN any event I look forward to getting a tech back in 3-4 turns to complete the ind auto deal-- Did you go HEC??
I haven't checked the presend turn save yet, but I assume we did. I held a poll in our forum and IIRC everyone was in favour of switching research to HEC and if that was not available NonlMath.

Greetings,

Maniac
I hope my answer sounded "Ich habe nicht gewusst" enough.