Old June 26, 2003, 15:12   #1
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A Federalist Anarchy
The Democratic States of Admaria's Federal government has dissolved recently, replaced by a "Congress of the States" where states coordinate thier policies, similar to the United Nations. Civil disorder has broken out in several cities, but the majority of Admarians are satisfied with the change. "The government was corrupt anyway," said one citizen. Another said, "I don't believe the stories about corruption. But anyone can see that an anarchy where basic needs such as education are provided for is better than a government that claims the right to act with force anytime it chooses."

The Federal Party of former Federal President Adam Gieseler continues to fund education generously, relying mostly on voluntary contributions which nonetheless take in about as much as would a 4% tax rate. Many still see this arrangement as corrupt, however, stating the Federalists close corporate ties and alleging bias in their free education. President of the Federal Party Adam Gieseler continues to claim the title of Federal President, and as no competing central government has replaced him, continues to appoint the UN ambassador. Ambassadors to other nations were recalled after the dissolution of the Federal government, although the Federal Party maintains offices in Akiria, Wine, Tea Kaygia, Guardinia, Marijuania, Alecrast, Centralis, and Zetaris.

Most citizens are happy with the new regime, or lack therof. "It's only in Admaria that they'll defend your right to shout fire in a crowded theater," said one citizen.
Old June 26, 2003, 17:49   #2
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 04:36
Quote:
"It's only in Admaria that they'll defend your right to shout fire in a crowded theater,"
The Mill Limit nations take issue with that statement
Old June 26, 2003, 18:07   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

We're fine without thanks. You have a right to in Akiria, just as they ahve a right to through you out for it. However with the smartest peopel in 'Poly, people use the alarm for a real fire, and people don't do stupid things just for fun (silly yes, but not stupid).

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 26, 2003, 19:07   #4
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Quote:
and people don't do stupid things just for fun
The more intelligent you get, the more idiotic! Surely you have noticed the low levels of common sense in the intelligentsia? *walks into door*.

That cant be good for the intelligent gene pool
Old June 29, 2003, 12:55   #5
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 00:36
In a hotly debated move, the Admarian Congress of the States today recommended that states ban political parties from advertising and receiving private donations. Most states are expected to enact approprate legislation within the week.

This development comes after a split in the Federal Party, Admaria's most numerous political party. A traditionalist faction maintains that bans on advertising limit freedom of speech. However, a growing progressive faction, led by party President Adam Gieseler, argue that some limits on advertising are necessary to curb growing corruption.

"I'm a convert," said Gieseler in a rare private interview. "In the last few months, we've seen party donations triple, but has this money gone to our schools? Has it gone to purchase of environmentally precious lands? Increasingly, it's simply gone to feed a corrupt political machine."

In a drive against corruption, Gieseler and his allies have pushed through the Federalist Party initiatives to decouple the party from its schooling, environmental protection, and social equality initiatives, each of which is now a seperate non-profit organization. The party then announced that it would accept only a limited amount of donations and would refrain from advertising. It promised to accept no private donations the moment states adopted public funding of campaigns.

"This is a tricky process," Gieseler said. "The temptation is to make candidates jump through all sorts of hoops to receive financing. But all that does is favor the incumbents. I'm confident the states will adopt a liberal system of public financing that preserves free entry into the political process."

Although the strongest opposition to public financing has come from Federal Party legislators, the split in the party has allowed clear majorities favoring the change in most state legislatures. Furthermore, most parties are expected to voluntarily assume limitations. Said one analyst, "To continue on with business as usual would simply be political suicide."

Last edited by AdamTG02; June 29, 2003 at 13:02.