Old June 26, 2003, 15:21   #1
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Success in the trade of soc psych for plan nets
I believe I have been successful in making a straight trade of soc psych for plan nets . . . when we get soc psych of course

SEE below for my messages with maniac

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Re: Democracy game
Agreed

The only issue I would have is that I fear we may have to switch to plan nets now anyway as we would not want our plans to go awry if the majority somehow still votes against the trade anyway-- There are game mechanisms to deal with this though ( such as your "gifting" plan nets to us on the turn we will discover it and us gifting our new tech in return

Please confirm when the deal is sealed.

Temporary ambassador Flubber

quote:

Maniac wrote on 26-06-2003 12:57:
Hi Flubber,

Hmm... Good point indeed! It doesn't really make any difference at all then. Well in that case I would agree on the tech trade and give you PlaNets in three turns, or whenever it is that you will have researched SocPsych (or IndBase if SocPsych isn't available...). As I can't make a definite decision, a poll will of course have to be organized to confirm a PlaNets<->SocPsych tech trade, but since I previously voted against trading PlaNets to you, the majority will shift in favour of PlaNets trading when I change my vote. So I think I can say we have a deal! PlaNets for SocPsych?

Greetings,

Second Function Mani Alpha-3

quote:

Our logic is simpler

WE will switch and have Plan nets in a few turns if you do not trade with us. Neither of us garners any additional benefit and we will have probe foils.

If you do agree to trade,we will forgo researching plan nets and instead garner another tech. We will benefit by getting that other tech and by providing it to you, we will share the benefit with you exactly equally.

If we trade we will have plan nets at exactly the same time as if we research it ourselves. ( I assume we would do the trade when we get that additional tech) The only difference from the no-trade scenario is that we will both have the same EXTRA tech. What can be fairer than that?
Old June 26, 2003, 17:48   #2
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:36
Since I copied Cap'n Flubber's correspondence into the other thread (Alert Alert), I might as well copy my correspondence into here as well.
Quote:
(to Cuspidore BB from PF Drogue)
Tech Trading
It is troubling about the email, but our servers were infected with anasty Hive virus recently, so may have been lost there somehow (OOC: Ive had comp troubles lately /OOC).

Our preference would be for Social Psych, but Industrial Base would also be of great use to us. I completely agree about the level thing, but others in my faction do not, and I must adhere to the majority. Currently, my faction would not trade Planetary Networks for anything but Doc. Flex, which we are aware is not possible. Therefore we offer Biogenetics for whichever tech you decide to choose. I might be able to get Applied Physics instead, but that has not yet been approved. If you really want Planetary Networks, I am sure we would be ameanable to Ecs. Make us an offer, and I will put it to the rest of the faction. I would like to agree to any straight swap, regardless of levels, but I am afraid that my compatriots feel differently.

Basically, as it stands, we are willing to trade Biogenetics for whichever tech you choose to research next, preferably Social Psych. That has been authorised. If you were to provide Social Psych and a few Ecs I might be able to get you Planetary Networks, or a straight swap for Applied Physics, but these would have to be approved by the rest of the faction. I have posted on our forum about this. If you were to research either Social Psych or Industrial Base, we can trade for something, but I think we feel about Planetary Networks the same way you understandably feel about Doctrine Flex.

I hope this is acceptable, in some form or another. I am currently trying to pledge the case for trading Planetary Networks to you, but it is not working so far.

Yours'
The Prime Function
In your time away from the commlinks and feeling a bit busy myself, I deputized Cap'n Flubber (he styled himself Temporary Ambassador Flubber) to find someone to negotiate with - he managed to contact Secondary Function Maniac, to whom I had previously copied my message to you in a (futile at the time) attempt to find someone else to discuss this with. In any event, it appears that Temporary Ambassador Cap'n Flubber was able to make a convincing enough case for the trade of Social Psych for Planetary Nets to change Secondary Function Maniac's position on the subject (is SF Maniac fond of XenoWeed?) and in his opinion likely changing the majority on your end to allow for that trade. Hopefully, that is all true and will happen OK. Some reassurances on your part that the deal is indeed happening would be greatly appreciated so that any overly suspicious Cap'ns will be convinced that the deal is for real (as we will have to commit to the Social Psych right away).
Yours,
the Cuspidore

PS: once this is settled, we can get down to the business of dealing with other matters, such as joint research planning and pacting, etc. - BB
====================
(to Cuspidore BB from PF Drogue)
RE: RE: Tech Trading
I am sorry, due to 'Poly being very slow, my last 2 attempts to PM you have failed

We can certainly commit to trading it for something, but I am afraid we can give no definate assurances that we will trade Planetary Networks, as much of the faction is undecided. Giving probe foils to a faction that is not willing to trade Doc. Flex. has worried some people.

However both myself and Maniac would, although we are a little uneased. Would you be willing to sign an embargo to say that you won't trade it on to other factions, and that you will not use them against us (as forbidden by our treaty)? Possible a few Ec would help to convince them, as it is a level 2 for a level 1 tech, and it would help others to see that your intentions are good. While I am sure they are, others are naturally sceptical.

As it stands, being a democratic faction, I cannot give you a definate, 100% assurance, since many have not agreed yet. However with Maniac and myself on your side, I think we stand a very good chance of getting them to accept. They voted almost unanimously that we should attempt to become Pact Brothers and increase our relations. I am sorry I can give you no more, but as I am sure you understand, the nature of our faction is that we need a majority to be sure of anything. I believe tech trading is beneficial to us both, and so I will push strongly, and I think we can convince them. I am sorry for this, but it is the best I can do at the moment.

Yours in peace and goodwill
The Prime Function
I don't know where this leaves us - I think we need further dialog to try to pin them down. I plan to use the "re poll" thread for my comments on our strategy.
Old June 26, 2003, 17:54   #3
johndmuller
King

(likewise duplicating this post):
Quote:
:This just in from Drogue:
Quote:
Planetary Networks
We have agreed to offer it. Final details to be arranged, as you did mention about a few Ec in return, but the main thing is that we trade for our mutual gain. We will trade Planetary Networks for Social Psych.

Do you have MSN, or maybe can you use the 'Poly chat room? This could make things easier for times like these, when 'Poly's server is annoying.

Yours
The Prime Function
Old June 27, 2003, 18:15   #4
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old June 29, 2003, 02:48   #5
johndmuller
King

Planetary Nets actually delivered!
Well, PF Drogue sent us PlanNets (pre-accepted) with a note more or less like this:
...pre-accepted offering PlanNets in exchange for Social Psych and 20 EC's (I suppose he means Pieces of Eight) as agreed. I hope a pact can be worked out soon,

I assume that the 20 PoE's was agreed between Cap'n Flubber and PF Drogue, although I didn't see it in the threads on that site; anyway working on that assumption I'll operate on that assumption for the time being; meanwhile, its on to the New Tech Decision - please make your opinions know in the 2117 New Tech thread as I am leaving the turn open for a while (I'm not going to work on the turn til noon plus or minus) giving you'all a chance to help decide which tech we want to go with.
Old June 29, 2003, 18:39   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Johnd-- I did agree to the 20 ecs based on your authorization to go as high as 25 but not to lose the deal-- I did not have time yet to past in all the messages back and forth
Old June 29, 2003, 19:37   #7
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

/me shrugs.

It sounds like a good deal to me.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...