Old August 11, 2003, 07:36   #181
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 21:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Viva la Revolucion! The people demand the right to Apolyton! - Poly Peoples Party
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Ok. It's time for something durastic to happen. This cannot continue. I propose:

1. Free subscription for a week. After that, it costs...Eh, 5 dollars for Poly membership. Allows newbies to come, but weeds out onequestioners.
Payment method?
Quote:
2. Deleting non-used accounts.
No effect. Unused acounts do not generate http connections.
Quote:
3. Accepting donations.
Only useful if the money is used to buy a second server.
Quote:
Spoiler:
Delete the Civ3 forums.

Spoiler:
Delete the RoN forums.
Pehaps if the RoN and Civ3 forums were hosted entirely by a different server the other forums would be able to function.
Quote:
The People of Apolyton want Apolyton back!!! POLY TO THE PEOPLE!!!

A message brought to you by:
THE POLY PEOPLES PARTY
Interesting. /q will not end QUOTE. Thank Dan for the preview feature.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 11, 2003, 07:44   #182
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 14:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This may be a stupid idea but...

Maybe you could reduce load by allowing people to have the option of disabling pictures.

I know I often turn image loading off when browsing the forums as I don't really care for all the graphics. If you give it to people as an option perhaps they'll use it and it'll help with reducing traffic while allow people that like looking at all the graphics to continue to do so.

It would also help if there isn't any text on the image placeholders. As demonstrated in the picture below it screws up the formating of the forums when you have pictures turned off.
http://alphadimensions.net/~john/Example.jpg

Also would there be the possiblity of a lite browsing option. Where only the more frequently used links and icons were displayed. In my opinion if you removed the civ icons to the left of the message, and only had the "profile", "edit/delete", "reply w/quote", and "link", as text links you can reduce the amount of html generated.

I had a look at the html source of what is generated for the forums and it seems there's an awful lot of generated html for the buttons and the civ-icons of each message. This generated html is usually double or triple the message length. I figure if you do what I suggested the html source will be reduced by half. Furthermore, I would think that not having to generate all those buttons and image links for each page view will reduce your server load.

Just my ideas.
Old August 11, 2003, 08:24   #183
geeslaka
Prince

I have just looked at the source myself and Kody is right.
Avatars, sigs, image attachments, and [img] codes can all be turned off in the control panel. It would be nice if there were also options for turning off flags and civgroups. Perhaps a poll should be posted to see who would use these options?

Kody, there is a lite style setting, it's just spelled wrong. With style set to Light Ultra Special, "profile", "edit/delete", "reply w/quote", "link", "report", and "ip" all get text links with no pic.

Perhaps the default settings for new users should be to have avatars and sigs turned off and the style set to Light?
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:08   #184
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Hrmm yes you are correct.

However the one thing that I really need from the normal version that isn't in the Light Ultra Special is the "last post by ". I've found that helps stop me from opening threads up that were posted to by spammers.

If that was used I would switch to the light ultra special.

The light ultra special appears to half the html generated from what I can see.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:18   #185
geeslaka
Prince

I noticed that too, but I'm going to stick with light ultra special, no avs, no imgs, and no sigs because of the loading times I'm getting.
XGalaga.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:42   #186
Kody
Emperor

Yeah it's super fast when you get rid of all of them .

Turning off smiles, and just getting text would be a nice option too.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:51   #187
geeslaka
Prince

There is a way to turn them off when you post, but the option isn't next to the quick reply box, so I don't use it.
XGalaga.
Old August 11, 2003, 14:34   #188
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:37

Dropping [img] tags for most users would work, since most of us don't need to view pictures.

However, I think some kind of donations to buy a second server would be the best option in order to improve Apolyton's uptime.
Old August 11, 2003, 14:51   #189
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 04:37
We need more RAM!
Old August 11, 2003, 15:03   #190
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Re: Viva la Revolucion! The people demand the right to Apolyton! - Poly Peoples Party
Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka

Payment method?
Cheques, cash, paypal, etc...

Quote:
Quote:
2. Deleting non-used accounts.
No effect. Unused acounts do not generate http connections.
Thats ok. Delete them anyway. They deserve it.

Quote:
Quote:
3. Accepting donations.
Only useful if the money is used to buy a second server.
Well yes, thats what I meant

Quote:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Delete the Civ3 forums.

Spoiler:
Delete the RoN forums.
Pehaps if the RoN and Civ3 forums were hosted entirely by a different server the other forums would be able to function.
No. We need to delete them. Especially Civ3. We must eliminate that scourge from the face of the Earth!!!
Old August 11, 2003, 16:38   #191
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I hadn't really noticed that they were gone until I read this thread. I wouldn't object to having the flags removed. You can already post your location, no need for a flag.
Old August 11, 2003, 17:58   #192
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 06:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
I hadn't really noticed that they were gone until I read this thread. I wouldn't object to having the flags removed. You can already post your location, no need for a flag.
hi ,

yes , but the flag is more then just a flag , its also a link to all the people who have it , and a statement for some , ......

have a nice day
Old August 11, 2003, 21:07   #193
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 00:37
Good evening, everyone. Some comments on the suggestions that have surfaced in this thread to date since the most recent avatar disablement:

(1) If and when a feasible technical infrastructure can be put into place to manage a subscription-based system, it will be done. As I have said before, this pay-for service would entitle subscribers to specific non-content related features (e.g. ad disablement, increased private message storage space).

(2) Deleting unused forum accounts would first require a benchmark (timeline) of what exactly defines 'unused'. More to the point, there presence or non-presence has no bearing on server load considerations.

(3) Putting aside the monetary consequences behind the acquisition of a separate server for a moment: it is more of an administrative nightmare than an aid.

(4) As far as donations go, see my commentary on this at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...38#post2238438

----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 12, 2003, 00:44   #194
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 16:37
Crazy Idea: How about images and avatars off by default?
Old August 12, 2003, 00:53   #195
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

That sounds good to me, Frozzy. It may not help much, but then again it might. Either way, it won't cost anything.
Old August 12, 2003, 07:53   #196
geeslaka
Prince

Frozzy: It's not a crazy idea, I already suggested it 13 posts back.
XGalaga.
Old August 12, 2003, 17:20   #197
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
However, as previously stated this service would entitle subscribers to additional benefits that while convenient would not result in non-subscribers losing access to site content.

I don't care what you choose to give me, so long as we can get this site running a bit more smoothly.

Dan, what do you think of the suggestion of disabling [img] tags for some of the users?
Old August 12, 2003, 17:51   #198
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
Good evening, everyone. Some comments on the suggestions that have surfaced in this thread to date since the most recent avatar disablement:

(1) If and when a feasible technical infrastructure can be put into place to manage a subscription-based system, it will be done. As I have said before, this pay-for service would entitle subscribers to specific non-content related features (e.g. ad disablement, increased private message storage space).

(2) Deleting unused forum accounts would first require a benchmark (timeline) of what exactly defines 'unused'. More to the point, there presence or non-presence has no bearing on server load considerations.

(3) Putting aside the monetary consequences behind the acquisition of a separate server for a moment: it is more of an administrative nightmare than an aid.

(4) As far as donations go, see my commentary on this at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...38#post2238438

----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
hi ,

well Dan , on the 3th ; some people shall be willing to invest in admin task that would come out of it , .......

a few people have made that more or the less clear in the last weeks , .......

have a nice day
Old August 12, 2003, 23:16   #199
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Given present technical circumstances I do not see avatars being enabled again any time in the near future, unfortunately.

As for additional steps to combating these technical problems, e.g. disabling [img] tag option (which is both a reasonable and logical suggestion, in my opinion), they will certainly be explored and implemented if/when/as needed.

---------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 13, 2003, 01:28   #200
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

Hmm, even after returning. Still no Avatar .
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old August 13, 2003, 02:57   #201
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
And one of the subscriber bonuses would be getting an avatar?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old August 13, 2003, 14:08   #202
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
disabling [img] tag option (which is both a reasonable and logical suggestion, in my opinion), they will certainly be explored and implemented if/when/as needed.
Would disabling the [img] tag have a greater or lesser effect than disabling avatars?

Which would take priority?
Old August 13, 2003, 18:25   #203
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18

Would disabling the [img] tag have a greater or lesser effect than disabling avatars?

Which would take priority?

hi ,

avatars would take up a bigger load , ......

Asuka is more or less the expert on it , ...... send him a PM

have a nice day
Old August 13, 2003, 18:30   #204
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Or night for my part. Good night!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 13, 2003, 18:32   #205
Frozzy
Emperor

[img] tags only use server space from over servers as you are hotlinking to them, unless you are hotlinking to an image on the apolyton Upload service.
Old August 13, 2003, 23:44   #206
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
[img] tags only use server space from over servers as you are hotlinking to them, unless you are hotlinking to an image on the apolyton Upload service.
True. Disabling [img] tags would only eliminate load usage on Apolyton's server if and when they are used to link to images not just hosted via our Upload service, even, but anywhere on Apolyton's server itself.

I'm not certain how ratio-wise this practice compares to [img] hotlinking to images stored on other servers, but certainly if and when its disablement was active it would not be a "front line" mechanism for reducing (Apolyton) server load.

--------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 14, 2003, 02:03   #207
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 20:37
I recently got 500 posts and I already have my avatar picked out. It would be nice if they turned the option on just for a little while so I could at least set it to the one I want.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 14, 2003, 02:26   #208
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think you still can, you can't see it
Old August 14, 2003, 02:31   #209
Frozzy
Emperor

Useless fact for the day: Look in the profiles of members and you can still see their avatars.
Old August 14, 2003, 05:38   #210
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 05:37
Profiles have been taking an age to load for me. Is that the reason?