View Poll Results: Do you plan to participate in this AU course?
Yes, bring it! 20 66.67%
No, the map is too big for my computer to handle. 6 20.00%
No, I've got other things to do. 2 6.67%
I could really go for a gargantuan banana right now... 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 27, 2003, 12:25   #31
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
but then is using Artillery an exploit too?
Exploit!

Seriously now, perhaps someone should give a little tutorial on how the "naval transport" trick works (I've never used it myself). Could make many games are lot more enjoyable.

Dominae
Old June 27, 2003, 12:29   #32
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Seriously now, perhaps someone should give a little tutorial on how the "naval transport" trick works
Good call, I think I am going to need it on this map.
Old June 27, 2003, 13:11   #33
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 21:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
I've got . . . a case of beer and free weekend. Let's get started
Only a case? It's bloody hot here in the SF Bay Area, and I think I'll be needing more than a case

I'm going to start later today. Hope my 1.6 Gz 256 Mb laptop doesn't collapse under the strain.

I'll leave it to alexman to explain ship-chaining. Whether or not you consider it an exploit, it is a royal pain in the butt and, for me, will probably fall into the same category as checking trade opportunities every turn among 20+ civs -- an optimal play but outweighed by the micromanagement requirements if the goal is fun (all in my opinion, of course).

Catt
Old June 27, 2003, 14:00   #34
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

I think I'll wait until I get a new computer (soon ) before I try this
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old June 27, 2003, 14:21   #35
burly
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

This ship-chaining sounds like a nifty little trick!

I'm playing on an AMD AthlonXP 2100 w/ 1GB of RAM and I'm already near 300AD with turn times around 5 seconds, which is about what it was at the start. I really don't expect much of a slowdown throughout the game, although I've never played with more than 16 CIV's. Maybe that will affect it?

I agree that inter-continental unit-movement is absurdly slow, especially given that units can zoom across a single continent in one turn. I was hoping that CIV3 would have better air-transport capabilities than CIV2, especially late in the modern age. Alas!
"These rocks, he thought, are here for me; waiting for the drill, the dynamite and my voice; waiting to be split, ripped, pounded, reborn; waiting for the shape my hands will give them". -Ayn Rand , The Fountainhead
Old June 27, 2003, 16:16   #36
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have run into a serious problem. PTW keeps crashing and now it does not want to load.
I had a similar issue with AU208, but managed to play through it. I sent in a report, but I am not expecting to get any he;p soon.
I am not anxious to drop it on my back up PC (1.7GH Pent on win98SE).
Old June 27, 2003, 16:39   #37
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I have run into a serious problem. PTW keeps crashing and now it does not want to load.
I had a similar issue with AU208, but managed to play through it. I sent in a report, but I am not expecting to get any he;p soon.
I am not anxious to drop it on my back up PC (1.7GH Pent on win98SE).
Ouch! That's rough. Well I hope you get your computer back up. I haven't had time to get far enough in the game yet for the turn back-ups to be a problem.

1.7GHz Pentium as a back-up computer? Sounds like a programmer. My wife's sister and her husband used to work for Intel and have I believe 7 computers in their computer room solely devoted to gaming and emails!! My wife and I get by with one computer that isn't even as good as your back-up.
Old June 27, 2003, 20:16   #38
vmxa1
Deity

It is not my PC that is crashing, it is PTW. I finally rebooted and seem to be ok for now, but who knows how long that will last.
Whoops took another dump. I wonder if Norton anti virus is involved.
I am determined to try to hang in, but it is gettign to be a real burden.
BTW I do not even work. I got layed off two years ago and decide to take a few years off. I was a system programmer though.
Old June 29, 2003, 08:39   #39
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:38
Wow. I will start it, and vote here later based on how the slowdown is. I don't expect to get far with this monster though. Trust my luck to attempt a start of AU when small maps are out.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 29, 2003, 14:33   #40
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Here I go... Vikings, Monarch. We'll see how old Betsy (my comp) holds up.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 29, 2003, 18:34   #41
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
It occurs to me... aren't we being historically biased? Weren't the Chinese and the Arabs terrific sea-going nations at various times?

Just a thought. Too late now.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 29, 2003, 19:07   #42
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

I'll leave it to alexman to explain ship-chaining. Whether or not you consider it an exploit, it is a royal pain in the butt and, for me, will probably fall into the same category as checking trade opportunities every turn among 20+ civs -- an optimal play but outweighed by the micromanagement requirements if the goal is fun (all in my opinion, of course).
Agreed! 110%!

OK - the new computer will now get to stretch its legs a bit.....
Old June 29, 2003, 21:33   #43
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Cool Beta!

Welcome to AU!
Old June 30, 2003, 03:47   #44
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 22:38
Interpolating from available evidence, I think the forbidden palace probably becomes available at 30 cities (half the OCN). Whether that's different for commercial civs, which have a higher effective OCN, I don't know.
Old June 30, 2003, 05:57   #45
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I'm playing as Carthage on Regent - yes I am a big girl's blouse.

I should (fingers crossed) be building the Great Lighthouse in a couple of turns. I've got several galleys on standby to get out and explore. I plan to do a brief 1AD DAR and continue from there up until I get bored or win.
Old June 30, 2003, 06:46   #46
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
I plan to do a brief 1AD DAR and continue from there up until I get bored or win.
Win???
Old June 30, 2003, 06:55   #47
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Stranger things have happend, although only two spring to mind, alva: the spontaneous combustion of the Mayor of Warsaw in 1546 and that incident in 12th century Burgandy when it rained herring.
Old July 1, 2003, 00:51   #48
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Interpolating from available evidence, I think the forbidden palace probably becomes available at 30 cities (half the OCN). Whether that's different for commercial civs, which have a higher effective OCN, I don't know.
So the OCN here is 60. I rhink I am close to 30 cities now as a commercial so I wil find out soon. Thanks.
Old July 1, 2003, 09:06   #49
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:38
I'm getting started this evening. Haven't decided between Carthage and Spain as my civ yet, but will probably go Carthage (or may just let the computer choose for me).
Old July 1, 2003, 09:27   #50
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

MADNESS!

-Arrian (whose 800mhz system wouldn't stand a chance)

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 1, 2003, 10:06   #51
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian (whose 800mhz system wouldn't stand a chance)
It's bad enough on my dual Athlon 2000+ system with 1.5 gigs of RAM. I timed a turn somewhere around the middle of the industrial era a while back and it took five minutes to cycle, not counting time waiting for user input. (Of course Civ 3 itself doesn't have the foggiest idea what to do with the second CPU, but the extra CPU lets me do other things while I wait without the kind of competition for computing power that would occur with just one. )

This isn't really your kind of game anyhow. The only way I can picture going for Ultimate Power on this map is to go into the editor and trade starting positions with another Civ. (There are one or two at least that do have very definite UP potential.) This is more the sort of game for people looking for a challenge (and who don't mind waiting a long time for turns to cycle as the game progresses).
Old July 1, 2003, 10:33   #52
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Heh, I've read your DARs, though, Nathan, and you've got the closest thing to UP that's possible on this map, I think. Economic & Military UP, anyway. And you're working on the territory.

I actually like the overall idea (islands all over the place, resources distrubuted such that you need to get those islands, etc) quite a bit, but no way do I have the patience for this map without a MONSTER system. One of the things that makes this attractive to me is the tweaking of the tech cost so that the research pace doesn't resemble an Olympic 100m dash. I'm ok with not playing every game for UP (just most ).

I tried Marla's map once, and was up over 1/2 hour-long turns in the industrial age. Bah!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 1, 2003, 12:52   #53
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:

I tried Marla's map once, and was up over 1/2 hour-long turns in the industrial age. Bah!

-Arrian
Then you would not enjoy this map. I bet it is at least twice as painful as the Marla map.
I was just wondering where you were, glad to see you are still posting.
Old July 1, 2003, 13:21   #54
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

My in-between turn times are definitely getting slower too. My P3 850 might be too slow to run this, but I'll continue to stick it out. At least I have a good book to read during turns.

Welcome back Arrian.
Old July 1, 2003, 13:39   #55
Arrian
Deity

vxma1 & Rhothaerill,

I wasn't really gone, but between Apolyton's server being horribly slow or down, softball games after work, and one of my closest friend's wedding, I haven't spent as much time on the computer.

I have pretty much just been checking in on the PTW Demogames. I haven't actually played Civ in over a week. For me, that's an

-Arrian

p.s. Rhothaerill - that's what I tried to do w/Marla's map. I think I read most of Tolkein's "Unfinished Tales" (edited by JRR's son) during the medieval age. But eventually, when I got up to 45mins/turn, I gave up. My computer is actually a 400mhz machine - it's my girlfriend's that is 800mhz, and it didn't help much anyway. She still refers to that game as "the monstrosity"

Old July 1, 2003, 14:03   #56
Arrian
Deity

edit: speak of the ****ing devil! Double post. Freakin' server.

-Arrian

Old July 1, 2003, 14:19   #57
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
p.s. Rhothaerill - that's what I tried to do w/Marla's map. I think I read most of Tolkein's "Unfinished Tales" (edited by JRR's son) during the medieval age. But eventually, when I got up to 45mins/turn, I gave up. My computer is actually a 400mhz machine - it's my girlfriend's that is 800mhz, and it didn't help much anyway. She still refers to that game as "the monstrosity"
I think that computer performance issues will be a big factor in whether or not I finish this game. It might be a few days before I even have a chance to write my 10ad-1,000ad DAR.

I've never read Unfinished Tales. I'm currently reading David Eddings' latest book. It's pretty good.
Old July 1, 2003, 14:50   #58
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Heh, I've read your DARs, though, Nathan, and you've got the closest thing to UP that's possible on this map, I think. Economic & Military UP, anyway. And you're working on the territory.
What I have needs a new term to describe it: LUP, for Local Ultimate Power. Elsewhere in the world, there's another civ that's about as big and nasty as I am - just a little less technologically advanced (well, maybe more than a little now that I got ToE), but about even with me in GNP and stronger militarily even at the height of my military power. But none of my more immediate neighbors are/were within shouting distance, so I had a choice of targets when I was ready to, shall we say, enlarge my borders.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:03   #59
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 20:38
I'm around 250ad and my between turns are taking over 30 seconds now. This seems relatively slow compared to other systems. I have a 2Ghz-P4 with 512ram. I thought about jumping to 1G RAM, but I'd hate to burn $90.00 just to find there is a bottleneck somewhere else.

I would love to get info on what programs and services can be turned of to improve performance (XP OS). I've tried disabling NAV, but I didn't notice any difference.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:08   #60
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:38
Unless you have alot of programs running in the background, you are not going to see a big difference.

Try closing things as e-mail programs, virus -scanners etc..

and do your brouwsing while the turn takes place, or even some vacuming or dishes .

I'm at 560 AD now, and I think I'm pushing three minutes now (until first build pop-up).
2000XP
756 MB-Ram