View Poll Results: Do you plan to participate in this AU course?
Yes, bring it! 20 66.67%
No, the map is too big for my computer to handle. 6 20.00%
No, I've got other things to do. 2 6.67%
I could really go for a gargantuan banana right now... 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1, 2003, 15:14   #61
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 22:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Have you checked the performance tab on the task manager (or whatever XP has analogous to that) to see how much memory is being used? Right now, I'm using over a gig of RAM (with 1.5 gigs in the system), but that's because I have Civ 3, a picture editor for my DARs, and several other things loaded at once.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:32   #62
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Currently the Civ.exe is using 224MB.
I still have over 300 MB free (don't too many things open )
( I don't have a paging system btw, VM is set to zero)
Old July 1, 2003, 16:21   #63
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:38
I left on battle animation, show moves for all. Show all of my moves. I am not sure if any of these would matter.
With 22 civs still and late 1700's turns run close to 3 minutes and once in awhile out to 6 minutes (including responding to pop ups). I am measuring from end of turn till I have full control again, not just when it comes back to the builds of cities.
Old July 1, 2003, 16:27   #64
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
What I have needs a new term to describe it: LUP, for Local Ultimate Power. Elsewhere in the world, there's another civ that's about as big and nasty as I am - just a little less technologically advanced (well, maybe more than a little now that I got ToE), but about even with me in GNP and stronger militarily even at the height of my military power. But none of my more immediate neighbors are/were within shouting distance, so I had a choice of targets when I was ready to, shall we say, enlarge my borders.
You are, in essence, a "Great Power" but not a "Superpower." You have the ability to crush smaller, weaker civs almost at will, but there are other civs out there somewhere that are near your strength (but, being the AI, don't really have a clue as to how to use it). 110+ Cavalry backed by Infantry can do a ton of damage, even to some of those stronger civs (though I wouldn't mess with the Ottomans just yet... ).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 1, 2003, 20:09   #65
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm on a P-3 500 with 256 RAM...currently at 490AD, and turns are processing at about 3 min, with 1) all extra programs off and 2) all in-game slowdowns turned off. It's OK, I just do 'poly while the turns are going.

Arrian, you should go for it... it's a very engaging game.

Re power, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm pissed off about how many suicide galleys I've lost, but I am waaaay beyond the first two AI civs met, and will be surprise if the others are challenging.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 1, 2003, 20:26   #66
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
I'm pissed off about how many suicide galleys I've lost
I stopped counting at around 10

Spoiler tags are just in case, so if you havn't started yet and want to know as little as possible..

Spoiler:

The best one went three full turns.......seeing nothing but the ocean before dropping of at the edge of the world.
I do have contact with around 14 or 15. I have tech parerity (sp?), still lacking in points (and other aspects) but am catching up.

So far it has been a very peacefull builder game.
Old July 1, 2003, 20:43   #67
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

The spoiler tag thing is COOL... I was struggling with that myself.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old July 1, 2003, 20:47   #68
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Yeah, way to go Alva with the invisible ink!
Old July 1, 2003, 21:10   #69
vmxa1
Deity

alva would you care to expalin that very slick trick to a forum challenge reader (me).
I suppose if I turn on the code thing in my browser I can see what tags you are using?
Old July 1, 2003, 21:14   #70
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

You are, in essence, a "Great Power" but not a "Superpower." You have the ability to crush smaller, weaker civs almost at will, but there are other civs out there somewhere that are near your strength (but, being the AI, don't really have a clue as to how to use it). 110+ Cavalry backed by Infantry can do a ton of damage, even to some of those stronger civs (though I wouldn't mess with the Ottomans just yet... ).
I view it as a case of two superpowers, both of which are far bigger and more productive than anyone else. There are other civs (albeit not many) that are staying fairly close in tech, but they aren't in our league overall.

Now that I look at the situation more closely, this game probably does have some serious UP potential if the civs on the two biggest continents stay at peace or especially if they fight relatively inconclusive wars (and if the player gets the Great Lighthouse; I don't view mentioning the importance of that as ever being a spoiler on a 'pelago map ). But when a genuine, serious killer AI shows up, the situation is rather different.

Nathan
Old July 1, 2003, 21:56   #71
alva
Deity

Quote:
alva would you care to expalin that very slick trick to a forum challenge reader (me).
I suppose if I turn on the code thing in my browser I can see what tags you are using?
[spoiler] blahblahblah [/_spoiler] (no underscore)

that's it.
Old July 1, 2003, 23:07   #72
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Spoiler:
like this?? ;-)
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old July 2, 2003, 10:20   #73
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 20:38
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Have you checked the performance tab on the task manager (or whatever XP has analogous to that) to see how much memory is being used? Right now, I'm using over a gig of RAM (with 1.5 gigs in the system), but that's because I have Civ 3, a picture editor for my DARs, and several other things loaded at once.
I'm only using 238MB between turns at 250AD. I loaded some other (smaller) games and noticed they used less RAM. What year are you at using an entire gig?

One thing all my game had in common was CPU utilization. All the games pegged the CPU to about 98% and the biggers games just took longer.

Could someone send me a 3Ghz P4 so I can test this a little more?
Old July 2, 2003, 11:02   #74
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Well, Im a little tardy in starting, but Ill DL this tonight and have a look. If only so I can stop avoiding all the DAR threads.

Oh, this might get painfull after medieval, though...hopefully my new comp will be able to handle all those movements.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 2, 2003, 11:07   #75
nbarclay
Emperor

When I talk about using a gigabyte plus, the majority of that is other programs. Civ 3 was somewhere in the 330's of megs if I recall correctly. Microsoft Photo Editor (from the Office 2000 suite) was using 370+, and smaller stuff including Internet Explorer and Outlook Express added up to the rest. I'm pretty sure I was somewhere in the early to middle industrial era (probably 1400's or 1500's) when I checked.
Old July 2, 2003, 14:02   #76
alva
Deity

Turns do go alot faster after all the settling has been done, I think I'm down to a minute now (first pop-up).
-
Quote:
Microsoft Photo Editor (from the Office 2000 suite) was using 370+,
Wow, that's alot. When opening Photoshop with several pics, it's only around 50-60 MB's.
Old July 2, 2003, 16:21   #77
vmxa1
Deity

It can take at least as long and often longer to get control back after the first pop.
Old July 7, 2003, 07:47   #78
cumi
Warlord

Local Time: 05:38
I started the scenario, but unfortunatly at about 500AD the game speed was terrible. It needed about 10 Minutes for a turn.

Any tipps how can I make it faster? I have a PIII-550 with 256MB RAM.
Old July 7, 2003, 12:18   #79
Theseus
Emperor

Post on 'poly while waiting.

Old July 7, 2003, 12:32   #80
vmxa1
Deity

The only thing you after you turn off the animation is to eliminate civs and grab more land.
Well if you can keep the number of civs low that are at war, it will help.
You will soon look back at the 10 minutes as the speedy days. Get out to 18+ civs at war and all have 200+ units and I expect that time will get over an hour.
Old July 7, 2003, 19:05   #81
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Quote:
Originally posted by cumi
I started the scenario, but unfortunatly at about 500AD the game speed was terrible. It needed about 10 Minutes for a turn.

Any tipps how can I make it faster? I have a PIII-550 with 256MB RAM.
Change your computer, buy more RAM, etc...

Seriously, try to defeat a couple of AI civs and get them at peace most of the time. That would eliminate some lag...

--Kon--
Old July 8, 2003, 04:59   #82
cumi
Warlord

Local Time: 05:38
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
The only thing you after you turn off the animation is to eliminate civs and grab more land.
Well if you can keep the number of civs low that are at war, it will help.
You will soon look back at the 10 minutes as the speedy days. Get out to 18+ civs at war and all have 200+ units and I expect that time will get over an hour.
This is what I was afraid from. Beeing a warmonger because of the bad performance of my notebook. GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old July 8, 2003, 11:41   #83
vmxa1
Deity

I moved off of my 3.06GH machine to a 1.7GH machine and some turns are over an hour. That much I can say for sure. The times on my 3.06 were about half of time of the 1.7 PC. It also had twice the memory, but it did not use any where near all the memory anyway.
Old July 8, 2003, 11:53   #84
vmxa1
Deity

BTW can something be done about the goofy logic that the AI uses to make alliances and embargos?
One of the weakest civ ask for peace and they were so poor, I let them have it for free. They immediately sign an embargo against me with another weak civ.
I am the only civ with tanks and this civ does not even have nationalization.
The reason I care is if they were not always signing the bad deals the game would move along better. I am seeign 6 or more popups for peace/war/embargo/ally per turn, a real drag.

The other big complaint in the game is the constant deal breaking. I had deals that gave me close to 2,000 gpt and all luxs. Soon they all broke there deals and declare embargos and war and drop me to -600 gpt.
This is fine and may even be smart, but the deal is they pay no price as I can not reach all them at once. Other civs will make deals with them after that, most likely.
A civ should take a serious hit, not some rep reduction.
The first time a city goes into rioting. The second time the empire goes into rioting and a high chance for a revolt.
The gov should be over thrown and you go into anarchy.
Ultimately I will normally put them out of the game, but that would happen anyway.
Old July 8, 2003, 12:58   #85
nbarclay
Emperor

Look at it this way. AIs know how each other think, but they don't know how we think. AIs know that the fact that another AI broke one deal doesn't make it dramatically more likely to break another. But a human who breaks one deal is likely to be quite happy to break others if given a chance. It's not unlike what might happen in a multiplayer game where most of the players have played with each other for a long time and have a good understanding of the extent to which each other can be trusted, but in which one new player who no one knows is trusted only as long as he proves himself trustworthy.

Also consider how much better good human players are at playing the trade game than AIs are. Yes, it's annoying having AIs break deals and not be penalized "adequately" for it, but without that advantage, AIs would have even more trouble being competitive than they already do. And it's not as if the AIs exploit their advantage in being able to break deals with relative impunity anywhere near as frequently or as seriously as a great many human players would.
Old July 8, 2003, 14:27   #86
DeepO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
It occurs to me... aren't we being historically biased? Weren't the Chinese and the Arabs terrific sea-going nations at various times?
Did you ever read 1421 from Gavin Menzies? Fascinating book, might be ideal to fill up the turns... He explains how the Chinese discover America, round the world, and map Antarctica all in a few years time. www.1421.tv

Good luck to everyone trying out this map, unfortunately I won't be one of you. I would have been able to read 1421 a couple of times if my pc had to wait for this

DeepO
Old July 8, 2003, 15:58   #87
vmxa1
Deity

nbarclay thats all true, but not very comforting.
I normally play with lowest water settings on std maps, so I tend to make very few gpt deals. I was just not prepared for the AI breaking deal after deal after deal, all of them.
I foolishly thought they would be a bit circumspect and maybe break one deal, but they broke them often and quickly, so no more trades, cash and carry. No deal for lux from me to them, I don't need the mony, so let them suffer.
Old July 8, 2003, 18:28   #88
nbarclay
Emperor

I do gpt deals all the time in my games, and while they've been known to blow up in my face occasionally, by and large, the AI seems pretty good about keeping its commitments. In this game (now within 20 turns or so of winning the space race), I've had to cave in to Ottoman extortion occasionally or risk having truly massive gpt deals disappear if they decided to declare war, and America launched a hopeless attack on Horse Island (just north of the homeland) once while I had a tech-for-luxury+gpt+whatever deal in place, but otherwise, my gpt deals have held up nicely.

I suspect that the fact that you're deliberately avoiding getting big and powerful in this game makes AIs more inclined to pick on you, which in turn makes gpt deals more fragile. And it also sounds like the AIs are probably in a little bit more warlike mood in general in your game than they are in mine, although my tendency not to open embassies without a specific reason for doing so leaves me without nearly as much information as you're plagued with regarding what the rest of the world is up to.
Old July 9, 2003, 03:31   #89
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah, I gave up trying to figure out who is tied to whom and not rock and boats.
I am not sure my size is germain to these guys.
Japan has lost all but 4 cities and all the way down the line they kept sign alliances against someone. They had no navy and less than 20 units and declared war on some civ. I was the only one with tanks and MI and was tied for 4th place, but even the small nation signed up for wars against me? Of course I was totally untouchable and sunk all ships.
I think it more a case of they had no choice but to try to expand or lose, but they have no rationality to the choices they make. Peace one turn war the next?
The game is around 1992 so it will not be long before it ends. Most likely a UN vote, unless I get the wonder first.
I almost want to see a vote, just to see what the dummies will do. I mean how will they choose whom to vote for after all they wars?
If no vote then 2050 will stop it.
Old July 9, 2003, 10:12   #90
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 20:38
Can I make a suggestion for the next AU

"Its a small world after all"