Old June 27, 2003, 02:04   #1
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Where is your life now, and where is it going?
Well, I know a lot of the 'Poly population are college students - either undergrad or graduate.

A lot of the rest are working men and women in various fields.

Im just curious of where people are going to school and what they are studying as well as what they plan on doing once they enter the work force. As for those who are already there. im curious of what jobs people have and where they work.

I'll start off:

I am presently attending the University of Texas in Austin. I was orignally planning on majoring in aerospace engineering, but due to implications of my scholarship, that may not be possible, so for now I am undeclared (looking at physics as a back up, tho).
If all goes to plan, I will enter the US air force with a commission and rank of second lieutenant. Im gonna shoot for flight school (I meet and exceed all the physical requirements) but it is hyper-competetive, so im not gonna count on it.

So, where are all you guys at and where do yall wanna be in the future?
Old June 27, 2003, 02:11   #2
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 21:39
Truckee Meadows Community College (it's a good school damn it ) starting the second of a 2yr Architectural transfer degree to U of Nevada, Las Vegas. Hopefully by or before the end of the decade I'll be ready to take the liscencing (I can never spell that word) exam and earn my title as Architect.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old June 27, 2003, 02:13   #3
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't know, what with my majors (history and government). I don't wanna teach, and I'm essentially unelectable. People tell me I should write a book, and I do enjoy writing, so who knows.

I DO know that I have a guaranteed job/career at Best Buy if I wanted to - which I don't. Although I do know that if I went that route, I'd end up making close to six figures within a few years.
Old June 27, 2003, 02:30   #4
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 20:39
I'm here.

I'm going there.
Old June 27, 2003, 02:49   #5
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
I'm here.

I'm going there.
c'mon! dont be so secretive... you tryin to make us think you're a secret agent or somethin?
Old June 27, 2003, 02:52   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:39
I've graduated, and applied for an IT job. I have already had the first interview and found out today that I will be going in for a second interview.

Soon I may even have some money!
Old June 27, 2003, 02:54   #7
Loif
Settler

I'm a teacher. I'm looking at going back to university and taking either speech pathology or physical therapy.
Old June 27, 2003, 02:57   #8
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Good luck Skanky

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old June 27, 2003, 02:58   #9
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 18:39
University of Hawaii-Manoa majoring in Psychology. I plan on getting my masters in Criminal Justice....but I don't know whether or not I want to stay here. I'm thinking of going to the mainland to get out of this rut I'm in.

I want to work in the prison field and slowly direct it to reform instead of punishment. But my main goal is to move anywhere but here.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old June 27, 2003, 03:00   #10
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

unfortunately my life is going no where

but I don't care anymore. I lack the motivation to really do anything with my life.
Old June 27, 2003, 03:05   #11
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
unfortunately my life is going no where

but I don't care anymore. I lack the motivation to really do anything with my life.
just do what makes you happy i long for the day im bumming out on the beach without a care in the world. whether im rich or poor, matters not...
Old June 27, 2003, 03:09   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I hear you.

I learned a while ago, that I don't like stressful jobs.

I prefer to work 40 hours a week and no more. In the navy you work at least 12 hours a day, 7 days a week while out at sea.

I need my free time. And there are certain luxeries I can enjoy now, that I couldn't before.
Old June 27, 2003, 03:26   #13
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 00:39
I'm unemployed and live at my mom's house. Life is good.
Old June 27, 2003, 03:33   #14
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
Quote:
Where is your life now
Here

Quote:
and where is it going?
6 feet under
Old June 27, 2003, 03:50   #15
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 05:39
I earn 2,50€ per hour at an local food discounter...

Im sure not exploited am I?
Old June 27, 2003, 04:22   #16
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 05:39
Currently I'm unemployed and living with my parents. Life is indeed good

Short term goals:

Find a crappy job, spend 2 weeks in Italy, go to college, find a weekend job

Long term goals:

1) Work my ass off a few years here in Belgium to save money, while trying to find a decent job. Defination of a decent job = able to work 6-8 consecutive months, and have 6-4 months of vacation. My home in Belgium will be a cheap room.

2) Buy a house in a cheap Eastern European country (Romania?), live there during my 6-4 months of vacation.

3) While working in Belgium, rent my house in Eastern Europe to rich western tourists.

4) Find an easy job in Eastern Europe for during my vacation (ie write columns for a newspaper?), invest money in.... something

If all that fails, I'll move back in with my parents and contact that guy who wanted to import girls from Gabon and become a pimp
Old June 27, 2003, 04:31   #17
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
Originally posted by August Borms

Long term goals:

1) Work my ass off a few years here in Belgium to save money, while trying to find a decent job. Defination of a decent job = able to work 6-8 consecutive months, and have 6-4 months of vacation. My home in Belgium will be a cheap room.

2) Buy a house in a cheap Eastern European country (Romania?), live there during my 6-4 months of vacation.

3) While working in Belgium, rent my house in Eastern Europe to rich western tourists.

4) Find an easy job in Eastern Europe for during my vacation (ie write columns for a newspaper?), invest money in.... something

If all that fails, I'll move back in with my parents and contact that guy who wanted to import girls from Gabon and become a pimp
ROTFLMAO!!!
Old June 27, 2003, 06:11   #18
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Great plan, August.

Daniel -
Quote:

You can quit and let nature exploit you.
Old June 27, 2003, 06:35   #19
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
Social sputum now, not going anywhere from here
Old June 27, 2003, 06:49   #20
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielXY

How did you manage not to sue your bosses already ? Is she at least your girlfriend ?
Old June 27, 2003, 06:49   #21
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Wasting my time until September.

I'll probably manage to get to the Univ... 4 years of Elec & Comp Eng using IDF money, and then serve the mandatory 3 years getting 100$ a month and another 3 with normal paycheck to "repay" for the education.

If that doesnt work... I'll go to the Logistics Corps. Spend half a year on various jobs, then do an Officer's course and spend another 3.5 years doing whatever logistics officers do.
Old June 27, 2003, 17:54   #22
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

ah yes, going to uni too, at some point
Old June 27, 2003, 18:09   #23
Pekka
Emperor

I'm excited! I'm soon moving to another city and start studying in University there, and will study Software Engineering for minimum of 5 years. I'll plan to make it in 5 years too. It is strictly programming, and then I'll be studying mathematics too at the side. It's also a new 'project', no one has graduated from it, the pioneers will be continuing on their 3rd year this fall. It is supposed to be very competetive and challenging, and of the 70 that has entered the department and specializing, only 25 are still going on to their second and third year. So I'm very very excited, I know I can handle it, and that it gives me lots of tools to make it in the job market.
It is closely supported by Nokia, and I've been told by the current students that almost everyone of them has been encouraged to come and work for Nokia, which is maybe the best employer in the whole country. It's a good education, but it's very tough and competetive. I know I'll make it.

After second year, I want to transfer to the US and if possible, complete the degree there, and then stay and work in the US. If I don't get to transfer, then I'll finish my degree here, and come to the US after that. I'll be hoping to get a good job, and as my parents live in the US and know lots of people, I hope to exploit that. Actually one of my moms friends has already asked about me and when I'll be graduating. Damn, I'm just starting!

Then, marry a nice American girl, get the citizenship and live happily ever after, make 2 or 3 kids.

My life now? I'm happy, because of all the chances that I've been given. Where is it going? TO THE TOP BABY!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old June 27, 2003, 18:42   #24
Sir David
Emperor

Right now, doing nothing. Later? Hopefully studying economy at the university.
Old June 27, 2003, 18:44   #25
Sir David
Emperor

Well, to be true, I got a few time-to-time jobs - as a consultant for a Public Relation company and every once in a while I stand in the door for some odd club or as a security officer: but it doesn't make a living - at least it doesn't pay my living
Old June 27, 2003, 19:03   #26
MrFun
Emperor

I graduated with a BA in History from St. Ambrose University last month.

Since May 12, I have been working in a temporary, full-time job at the Rock Island Arsenal in their Programs department. It pays well. In meantime, I am boarding in a friend's spare bedroom, and he says not to worry about paying any monthly rent -- I will pay him something though before I move.

I plan to move to Charleston, Illinois by late July into a spartan graduate student apartment (not a dorm). I will finally have my own cooking facilities and my own shower.

My Illinois Regional Archival Department internship will begin by August 1, and it will waive my tuition and pay me $700 a month. That money along with a small loan I took out will be enough to live off for a year with my budgeting.

I start graduate school in their History department in Charleston, at Eastern Illinois University in late August -- I will be an IRAD intern at the branch located in the basement of the campus library.
Old June 27, 2003, 19:47   #27
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I'm unemployed and live at my mom's house.
Ditto, but I am not happy about it. No job porspects for the next few weeks either. I am being driven towards grad shcool applications, if only to do something.

"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 27, 2003, 20:26   #28
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I'm going to Oxford this Auturm to study Economics and Management, if I get the grades. From then I either want to go into the Civil service, taking an MBA after a few years; go over to the US to study law or economics (Yale has a great course in International Development Economics that I was looking at); or go into the City and do the investment banking/management consultancy thing for as long as I can be bothered to get some money, and then buy and open a chocolate shop, with a little bar next door, with live music, weird cocktails and chocolates being taken around like hors d'overs. I can dream

More short term, I'm hoping to work in public finance this summer, as I want some experience of how the government policy works on the ground level (and my mum works for the police force, so I know the head of finance there). Then take a couple of weeks out to write a couple of essays, read a few books, and get ready for working my **** off next year

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 27, 2003, 21:05   #29
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 00:39
Quote:
Ditto, but I am not happy about it. No job porspects for the next few weeks either. I am being driven towards grad shcool applications, if only to do something.

Sorry to hear that. Luckily, I've already got a job lined up overseas, so this stay at the folk's house is just a vacation, not a permanent stay.

Hope you figure something out.
Old June 28, 2003, 00:06   #30
cinch
Warlord

I just graduated high school and finished my exams, and I'll be attending the University of Alberta in the fall.

My plans? Uh... Well, I'm taking polisci, history, anthropology, economics... that kind of thing. I'll see how far I can get, academics-wise, with that stuff. As for job prospects in 4 years... Well, there probably won't be many. I'll likely end up with a gubmint job, which is fine. I'd love to join the foreign service, work at an embassy and all that... So I'll have to work quite hard at my francais if I want to do that.

But right now, I'm not too worried about it. I'm just gonna relax, work through the summer, get moved into my apartment (only two blocks from the river valley; YES!), and try to enjoy my university years.

I hear this so-called 'joy' can be very fulfilling.