Old July 3, 2003, 07:22   #31
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Carthage, Emperor.

The Aquatic Ape Theory

At the end of the previous report, we had just discovered map making, giving us a total haul of techs of: masonry, alphabet, pottery, writing, map making. Not wholly impressive. On the plus side, having been researching at 10% for the last 80 turns we had a huge cash surplus, and could easily afford to research the skipped first-tier techs in about 4-5 turns each. This was the dawn of a new era for Carthage, as we took to the seas and did some serious research. Colonisation of our continent was nearly complete, with room for only a few more cities, so several galleys were quickly commisioned (5 were around about 10 -15 turns after map making) and went off exploring.

Our first galley sailed out of Heidelberg, looking to explore land to the north. The small mountainous island was discovered, with room for one city. Since we had just discovered Ceremonial Burial and started building temples, we had an idea that the Gods of this world were rather twisted, so figured that an island city would be a useful thing to have - a suspicion bourne out some years later when wild horses were discovered to be hiding in the hills. Vulcano, the town eventually settled there, has a priority of bulding a harbour, to no-one's surprise.

Our second galley went south-east from Gloucester, and before too long discovered the crossing to a large, uninhabited island. Coastal exploration revealed good terrain with many cattles and a beautiful vineyard, as well as another goody hut. A settler team was quickly assembled to claim this important point on the east end of the known world.

After finishing map making, we decided to research ceremonial burial and then bronze working, before going back for literature, and then (hopefully) pushing on to the republic. Hence, about this time we were finally able to start building our numidian mercenaries. They're a bit on the expensive side, aren't they. I'm glad that we were so isolated, that we're not going to need them until after astronomy at the very earliest. Just after we finished researching literature, stories of a second wonder cascade reached our shores. The Lighthouse was completed by the Ottomans (their second wonder), the Mongols got the great wall (their second wonder) and the great library went a few turns later, although I've forgotten who took it. My lighthouse prebuild turned into an expensive library, which seems to be a theme in this game. Dark days indeed, having missed out on all the good wonders of the ancient era, the GLib and GLight in particular, one of which I thought would be vital. So Carthage was faced with the proposition of being way behind in tech (if the great wall was built then there are at least 3 northern branch techs I don't have that are in circulation somewhere), without the benefit of easy contacts or the library to catapult me into contention when I do finally make contact.

My bold galley decided to push on past the new island, since more recently commisioned boats back home could run the ferry service, and took the risk of sailing into the ocean in the direction that seemed to indicate land ahead. With great luck the galley survived and reached safe land shortly afterwards, discovering another small, uninhabited island. While sailing around this, another ship was seen... a barbarian galley? (Only one seen to date, which was dispatched without loss). It was the right colour, but not a consript. Contact was made, and the strange Arabian sailors came aboard for a cup of tea and a chat. Much dealing with them gave us contact with Egypt, to the north of Arabia, and territory maps of both civilizations. The Arabs had many techs that we didn't, including iron working, philosophy (which we were now researching), code of laws, the wheel and a few more. The only thing we had to trade was literature. This gained us a few techs, and did a little more with the Egyptians too. Egypt turned out to be a few techs behind the Arabs, opening the possibility of buying from the Arabs and selling to Egypt, gaining two techs, but at very high prices. First we decided to see how much we could get for philosophy, which we were only 4 turns away from finishing.

Meanwhile we had landed several explorers on Carthage east, and founded a city on the east end, popping the hut (to give a horseman). More settlers are currently under production to quickly settle the whole island, although trade between Carthage east and Carthage west won't be possible until astronomy (if only I had a lighthouse...). Our brave galley is setting sail north through Arabian waters to chart the west coast of the Arab-Egypt land and see if any more contacts can be made - hopefully with civs a little more backwards but with more first and second tier techs that can be traded for. It's not yet 10 AD, 'cos I had to stop for the night, but by the time it rolls around we should have a fully settled home continent, and two or three cities up and running on Carthage east. Although we're probably half an era behind the tech leaders by now there is still room for hope - one or two more contacts will probably allow enough tech trading for Carthage to keep close to the best civs out of our trading group. Developement of the desert back home is nearly finished, with just mass irrigation of floodplains and mining of deserts near rivers to go, with productive cities in the north and soon-to-be-productive in the far south. Carthage is cautiously optimistic, knowing there is a great struggle ahead.

(And having read the other DAR's, what level are people playing on where Egypt and Arabia are backwards compred to them???)
Old July 3, 2003, 12:45   #32
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:40
MS I think that the speed of exposing the land on the home land is the reason you do not have to deal with barbs.
I over did the concern for raging barbs and placed units all around the map to prevent camps from spawning.
I do not understand the mechanism, but I think we have a bit of time before they start making camps and more time before they spew out any numbers.
I know that it takes two civs to get to the next age before they can have uprisings.
In this game that is a long time.
Old July 4, 2003, 03:29   #33
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:40
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
MS I think that the speed of exposing the land on the home land is the reason you do not have to deal with barbs.
I over did the concern for raging barbs and placed units all around the map to prevent camps from spawning.
I do not understand the mechanism, but I think we have a bit of time before they start making camps and more time before they spew out any numbers.
I know that it takes two civs to get to the next age before they can have uprisings.
In this game that is a long time.
I know, I was just chiding Dominae because I had in mind our last AU play on a huge map. I got swamped by Barbs because I didn't want to build 'useless' warriors.
Now I know better and the word 'raging', specially coming from Dominae (I strongly suspect she twisted the mod again to have them 'super-raging'), automatically triggers the building of lots of warriors in my cities (I don't know how to mod a game, but only my brain).
Old July 4, 2003, 17:13   #34
vmxa1
Deity

I would not be surprised to see some raging barbs late in the game. This could occur if a few cities get razed during a major war and are not built right away. The culture borders all shrink and next thing you know a bunch of barbs jump out on you.
Old July 6, 2003, 00:32   #35
Taian
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1000BC - Captain of the third Navy ship reports shallow coastal waters to the East. Permission is requested and granted to pursue exporation in this direction.

975BC - Word is sent back to London of desert and plains on the island to the west. However, fish are also in sight. Royal order goes out requesting colonists for this brave new world.

950BC - Appropriately enough, Dover founded on the white cliffs on the island north of Nottingham. Construction begins on a harbor.

925BC - An update to the inital Navy report to King Taian regarding the island east of England: Contrary to the initial findings, the island appears to hold grassland suitable for large cities. Cows have also been rumored to exist on the grassland. Settlement must begin with haste. To that end, colonists from York set off to rendezvous with the royal Navy in Coventry.

900BC - Sailors in the Navy report seeing grapes on the eastern island. Will the riches of this land ever end?

875BC - Nottingham builds another addition to the Royal Navy. Town caller puts out the word that colonists are being recruited. Warwick sends out a band of colonists. Since the town caller is the brother of the caller in Nottingham, he too lets the public know of the recruitment.

850BC - Newcastle constructs a Granary. The south is now primed to aid the north in colonizing the empire. Canterbury constructs the fifth ship in the English fleet. In order to obtain access to the whales and fish surrounding Canterbury, Royal order is given to construct a temple. The 3rd royal Navy Captain comes to a fateful junction. It appears that the shallow water continues to the northeast of the eastern island. However, exploration of this region is not yet completed. For all we know, this may be a large continent rather than an island. Using the old "coin flip" method, the captain decides to pursue the shallow water. Unfortuneately, it appears to end with no land in sight. Some exploration in this area remains, but the captain is not optimistic.

825BC - In an attempt to speed construction of the Great Lighthouse, a work crew is decommissioned and absorbed into the city of London. The 3rd Navy Captain can see deeper water to the west, but loathes risking the lives of his crew to reach it. "If only we had the Great Lighthouse..." Opting for the safer path, the Captain returns to exploration of the eastern landmass. The first English colonists arrive on the eastern island with dreams of founding a thriving colony..

775BC - Brighton founded on the eastern island. The colonization has begun!

750BC - Hastings recruits new colonists. Begins construction of temple to gain access to 2 fish and 1 whale just outside city radius.

730BC - Nottingham finishes a settler and begins construction on a granary to promote growth now that jungle is getting cleared.

710BC - Norwich founded northeast of Brighton near the Grapes. The natives in the area teach the English knowledge of Warrior Code to commemorate the event. Huzzah! Our scientists have discovered Literature, meaning that our work on the Great Lighthouse will not be a complete waste if we fail to win the race. English scientists propose research into brickwork, also known as Masonry, as their next project. When presented with the advantages to such a technology, King Taian readily accepts.

670BC - Colonists recruited from Newcastle. Continued recruited is anticipated. Leeds founded northwest of Brighton on the desert just northeast of the fish.

650BC - Liverpool has completed work on their Granary. Training of a warrior unit commences. York recruits a colonist and has plans for continued recruitment activities.

610BC - Canterbury completes work on the local temple. Residents hold a special service to commemorate the occasion. Spurred on by the priest's words, recruitment of colonists begins to spread the faith to the hinterlands. English scientists notify King Taian of the discovery of Masonry. It is hoped that this will enhance the ability of the English empire to obtain many Wonders of the World. One of the scientists, when pondering how to go about building this "Palace" suggested that a method of numbers be discovered; Mathematics. Intrigued by this concept, King Taian orders the required research.

570BC - Training of a warrior comletes in Liverpool. Continued training ordered to aid in garrison of surrounding towns.

550BC - Brighton trains the first unit on the eastern English colony. Continued training ordered to solidify hold and keep the populace in line. Reading is founded north of Leeds in the desert. Combined with the radius of Leeds, this allows use of the cattle on the plains.

510BC - The people of Newcastle, spurred on by the success of the citizens of Canterbury, erect the Temple of the Wounded Heart. In response, the people of Canterbury send out a new band of colonists to further the borders of England. The military might of the English also continues to grow with warrior training completed in both Norwich and Liverpool. Both cities continue contributing to the English military. King Taian begins the journey down to the coast to attend the completion ceremony for the Great Lighthouse. Anticipated journey time is 2 days.

490BC - Birmingham is founded on the hills northeast of Norwich. Anticipation growing with every step and the outline of the Lighthouse growing larger with every mile, King Taian eagerly approaches the construction site.

470BC - His heart bursting with pride for his people, King Taian lays the final brick in the construction of the Great Lighthouse! The completion of such a magnificent wonder has catapulted the English civilization into a Golden Age of development! The people of London celebrate this achievement by commissioning a Temple for their city. The military might of the English continues to grow with the addition of 3 warriors to the army. The intrepid Captains of the English Navy venture across the ocean to find shallow water through which they can navigate. What manner of strange inhabitants might they find across these waters?

450BC - The English scientists unlock the secrets of Mathematics. The majority of scholars agree that this is a fine achievement, but they long for something more...something that represents a value to the people. Value? Ah, Currency! So be it...
The people of Oxford construct the first Harbor of the English empire. Given the presence of 3 fish within their radius, this represents an accelerated growth potential for the city. Military continues to be the order of the day on the eastern island, with the training of a warrior unit in Reading.
The Caption of the Nautilus approaches the coast of lands to the East, to find a strange city known as Muscat. Contacting these strange folks, it is learned that they are called "Arabians". Upon entering negotiations, it was discovered that they were of a comparable maturity to the English. Offering the technology of Literature, the Captain gained in return a map of the known world of the Arabians, 50 gold pieces as well as communications with a strange people called the Egyptians. Review of the world map indicates that this town of Muscat is on an island with one other town, Mansura. This would be an ideal point to establish an outpost to allow for further forays onto the mainland. Note is dispatched via carrier pigeon to London advising the royal family of the situation. Upon notification, King Taian puts plans into motion to build an expeditionary force. Contact with the Egyptian consulate in Muscat is then arranged for the Captain. Negotiations reveal the Egyptians to be of a similar technology level to the Arabians. They have knowledge of wonderful things like Iron Working, Mysticism and The Wheel. However, we posess Literature and Mathematics which the Arabians have but the Egyptians lack. Trade must be initiated immediately. Trading Literature, Mathematics and 25 gold to the Egyptians, the Captain manages to obtain knowledge of all 3 technologies that his people were lacking. Further negotiations revealed that the Egyptians also have knowledge of horseback riding, but the Captain wished to jeolously guard the knowledge of the location of his homeland and refused to make the deal. Thus far, the journey has been a success and the Great Lighthouse has paid off handsomely.

430BC - Nottingham completes construction of a granary. In accordance with the latest royal order, construction begins on a barracks facility. Richmond is founded southwest of Liverpool. Exeter is founded northwest of Liverpool. York has completed work on a settler and now begins construction of a barracks to support the expeditionary force.

410BC - London completes work on a temple and begins construction on a library to boost the exemplary intelligence of its population.

390BC - After much reflection and time away at his summer resort, King Taian decides that the English empire lacks sufficient military technology to facilitate conquering the infidels to the East. As such, he repeals his previous orders for barracks construction throughout the empire and orders that work be undertaken to construct libraries instead. "If we don't have the military technology, we better get it fast..."
Old July 6, 2003, 00:33   #36
Taian
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:40
370BC - Reading and Leeds train military units to garrison the cities and begin work on workers to aid in the development of the island. Norwich completes work on a worker and begins construction of a temple. Cambridge is founded in the middle of the desert on the home island. With its construction, settlement of the home isle is completed. Cambridge begins work on its garrison.

350BC - Birmingham completes work on a worker and begins to build a temple to further its borders.

330BC - Hastings completes work on a Temple and begins a new project; a library. Exeter completes training of a warrior unit and begins construction of a temple to gain access to the fish just out of its reach.

310BC - Liverpool constructs a temple and begins work on a library.

290BC - London completes the English empire's first library. Fueled by dreams of a much grander library, London begins work on the Great Library.

270BC - Library constructed in Canterbury. Construction on granary begun. Cambridge trains warrior and begins work on worker to irrigate the surrounding flood plains.

230BC - English scientists unlock the secrets of Currency! The new marketplaces that will soon spread throughout the English empire promise new wealth and prosperity. Before choosing the next technology to task his scientists with, King Taian seeks out the Egyptians to the East in hopes that they may reach a mutually satisfactory trade to speed up his research. Negotiations see Currency go to the Egyptians in exchange for Horseback Riding, Code of Laws, the Egyptians' world map and 76 gold. Contact the Arabs, King Taian trades them Code of Laws in exchange for their World map and 188 gold. Having achieved the desired result, King Taian orders his scientists to pursue Philosophy in hopes of later discovering knowledge of the Republic. Discovery of philosopy is anticipated in 4 turns. The captain of a British Navy ship to the north of the Arab/Egyptian island sights a strangely colored worker off the coast of a new landmass. Initiating contact, he discovers that these people are the French and that they have knowledge of Philosophy while the English have Code of Laws, Literature and Currency. The French also have contact with a people known as the Germans. Not wanting to give away communication to the Arabs and Egyptians further south, the envoy offers technologies in hopes of receiving Philosophy and contact with the Germans. Trading currency, the envoy receives contact with the Germans, Philosophy, the world map of the French, and 2 gold. The French/German continents appears to be largely covered in desert and plains...not conducive to early growth. Contacting the Germans, the envoy again offers Currency and receives the German world map as well as 528 gold. The English coffers are burgeoning at this point with 1312 gold. King Taian now faces a difficult decision. His scientists have informed him that only 2 technologies stand between the English and a time known as the Middle Ages. Not much is known about this time except that it promises wonderful new opportunities for his people. However, The Republic and the prosperity that it affords is within reach. Hoping that this decision does not hamper his empire's chances, King Taian decides to pursue knowledge of The Republic, hoping that its increased revenue will makeup for the delay in advancing to the middle ages. His scientists inform him that this technology should be available in 15 turns.

190BC - Nottingham constructs a library. The increase in science output of this city has shaved 1 turn from the discovery of The Republic. Work begins on a temple in preparation for the change in governments. Oxford completes a library and begins work on a temple. Cambridge produces a worker and begins work on a temple.

170BC - Newcastle completes work on a library and begins work on a courthouse to increase its production through reduction of waste. Reading completes a worker and begins work on a temple.

150BC - Word reaches the English homeland that the Zulu city of Zimbabwe has beaten them to the Great Library. King Taian orders that the production of the Great Library be re-routed to construction of a marketplace. With only a 12 shield loss, construction of the marketplace will finish next turn.

130BC - London completes work on a marketplace and begins work on a harbor to boost food production. Canterbury completes work on a Granary and begins work on a marketplace. Liverpool completes work on a library and begins work on a marketplace. Brighton, on the eastern island completes work on a harbor. The completion of a harbor on the island allows trade between the two major English islands. Wines and Iron to the homeland and gems to the eastern island. Brighton begins Temple construction.

110BC - Warwick completes a library and begins work on a temple. The HMS Voyager, fresh off its contact with the French and Germans, approaches a yet more easterly coast to find it inhabited by a people known as the Scandinavians (or Vikings). Contacting this people revealed them to be underdeveloped when compared to the enlightenmight achieved by the mightly English. The Vikings have not yet mastered the art of Writing nor the secrets of Mysticism and Mathematics. They have a paltry 5 cities and no gold to speak of in their coffers. Taking pity on this backwards people, the envoy from the Voyager offers Mysticism to the Vikings in exchange for a map of their known world. The Vikings graciously accept. There appears to be some open land off the eastern coast of the Viking island. If only a settler could make it up there...

90BC - York completes work on the local library. In preparation for the switch to Republic, work on a temple is commissioned. Hastings completes work on a library and begins construction on a marketplace.

70BC - The Golden Age of the English comes to an end. All told, the last 20 turns were profitable for the English, seeing them rise to technological superiority over all those civilizations that they have contacted thus far. The surrounding islands are colonized and work has begun on solidifying the infrastructure of the homeland. There was no significant drop in research time experienced as a result of the end of the Golden Age. Approximately 2 turns research time was added to the Republic.

50BC - Nottingham completes work on their Temple and begin work on a marketplace. The English empire is moving to capitalize on the surrounding ocean and the indigenous rivers by maximizing their income and science. Norwich completes temple and begins work on a local courthouse to control the moderate amount of corruption in the city.

30BC - The land to the east of the Vikings appears rich and lush...prime for settling. However, given its distance from the English empire, English settlement appears remote at best.

10AD - London completes a harbor and begins work on a local barracks. This barracks will serve as a training ground to many troops over the coming years. The captain of the HMS Voyager sights a barbarian camp off the coast. Judging from the amount of barbarians living in the camp, he surmises that there are at least 2 other civilizations in the world more advanced than his own. This is a disturbing omen... Continuing to explore, he happens across a Persian city. Upon contacting the inhabitants, he finds them to be of a comparable enlightenment to his own. While the English posess Currency, the Persians hold both The Republic and Polytheism. In exchange for Currency, the Persians give the English contact with the Ottomans, a map of their territory and 90 gold. Contacting the Vikings, they agree to trade contact with the Iroquois and 30 gold in exchange for contact with the Vikings. The Ottomans also hold both Polytheism and Construction. The Ottomans and Persians both have contact with numerous other civilizations. Contacting the Iroquois resulted in the English obtained Polytheism and contact with the Romans in exchange for Currency and 15 gold. Contacting the Romans revealed them to hold both Monarchy and Construction. The only bargaining chip for the envoy from the Voyager was communication. Loathe to give away communication with the French, Germans, Egyptians and Arabs, he offered up Contact with the Vikings. In exchange, the Romans offered contact with the Greeks and the deal was signed. Contact with the Greeks revealed them to be relatively backward technologically, but to hold communications with 3 as of yet uncontacted civilizations. In exchange for Polytheism and Literature, the English envoy obtained the Greek world map and contact with the Zulus, the Mongols and the Celts.

***ASIDE***
Have to say that I'm really in a quandary here. I don't want to give away contact with the Germans, French, Egyptians or Arabs but they're the only bargaining chips I have left. If I use them, I'm pretty sure I can at least get tech parity (except for maybe with the scientific civs and their free tech at the next age). I only have 2 turns until Republic so I'm not that concerned about trading for it. I do want construction though. Decide to roll the dice and see what happens.

With only construction left before the wonders of the middle ages become available, the english envoy offers the Ottomans contact with the French and Germans in exchange for the Ottoman world map, 5 gold per turn and 410 gold. The English envoy then proceeded to trade the English world map, contact with the Germans and French and 180 gold to the Zulus in exchange for Construction. Contacting Persia, a deal was struck to trade Construction in exchange for The Republic, the Persian world map and 115 gold. Contacting the Ottomans again saw The Republic given to the Ottomans in exchange for 46 gold per turn and 2 gold. The Romans were then offered knowledge of the Republic in exchange for Monarchy and 5 gold, which was accepted. Trade with the Zulus saw the Republic given away for the Zulu world map and 180 gold. France was contacted and given Code of Laws in exchange for 45 gold and the French world map.
When the dust had settled, the English were in the middle ages and had achieved technological parity with all but the Persians (who had engineering and weren't sharing) and the Ottomans (who had feudalism but weren't sharing). There was about 1700 gold in the coffers and Monotheism 23 turns away.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	10ad.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	49182  
Old July 7, 2003, 19:53   #37
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 23:40
Frankly, not much happened in that interval... I went for some serious building of my island(s) and sent a couple of galleys out there exploring. I managed to grab the lighthouse with a well timed prebuild (wasted only 30 shields...). I found the Arabs, the Egyptians, the Germans and the French and they are all behind me in techs (after a trade philosophy for all techs I was missing...) On my 10AD turn, I've had my luckiest suicide galley so far. I've made contact with the Aztecs and the Koreans and the Russians are in the same area too...

The Aztecs have Maths, but I have a 4 tech lead over them.

Below is a screenshot of my suicide galley...

--Kon--
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	10ad1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	49333  
Old July 7, 2003, 19:57   #38
Konquest02
Prince

As you may see, I have adopted a REALLY dense building pattern. I am fighting habits right now because usually I am really looser.

I even managed to put 2 cities on what I call the Marvelous Island just north of the Arabic territory (denoted by an arrow on the ultraminimap...)

--Kon--
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	10ad2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	49334  
Old July 8, 2003, 00:36   #39
vmxa1
Deity

Taian that is great details and nice story.
Old July 8, 2003, 00:37   #40
vmxa1
Deity

Kon whose water color set is that?
Old July 8, 2003, 16:09   #41
Konquest02
Prince

It's Warpstorm's watercolor terrain mod. I think it's just great.
Old July 8, 2003, 16:43   #42
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah I have used in before PTW, but I have not gotten around to using any since. A few of the posters are using it and Ilike the look.
Old July 8, 2003, 17:08   #43
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Kon, you want dense? I got 18 cities on the starting island, later disbanding two camps.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 8, 2003, 17:36   #44
Konquest02
Prince

I know I could have taken the density to the extreme, but I figure out that I was not aggressive enough in my city placement. But I look at my island and I think I will disband at most 1 city. I might want to build a couple more, just to be able to build my FP though...
Old July 9, 2003, 05:38   #45
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:40
Carthage, Emperor.

Revenge of the aquatic apes

Just to finish off my DAR up to 10 AD (I finally got a bit further last night).

We were researching philosophy, which by chance happened to be a tech that the Arabs had but the Egyptians didn't. Egypt had two techs unknown to us (iron working and horseback riding) and the Arabs had those plus mathematics and philosophy. In 170 BC we finished philosophy, only to discover that the Egyptians had finished it the same turn, totally negating its trade potential - I'd been hoping to get IW and HR for it from Egypt. This gave a tough decision for what to research next. Arabia had presumably been researching something for a while now, so would get whatever it was before I could get my next tech. Seeing that the Arabs had researched philosophy but not CoL or polytheism, I guessed that they'd be going for the Republic techs, and hence CoL. So I gambled, and started to research polytheism, which would take around 13 turns (less in practice as my cities grew and libraries were completed).

In 130 BC we lost two galleys exploring into the oceans to the east, and shortly after that lost our galley that had reached the Arabs and Egyptians when it attempted a sea route to the north of Egypt. More galleys were comissioned to go exploring while two were kept back to act as ferries between east and west Carthage. A second ferry succesfully made the crossing to Arabia to launch a second attempt at the sea route.

By 10 AD Egypt had acquired mathematics too. We were 7 turns from polytheism, and Arabia hadn't yet discovered whatever they were researching. 11 towns had been built on Carthage west, and 3 on Carthage east, with plans for 1 more on the west and at least 2 more in the east. Plus there was the town on the north island, quietly producing its harbour so that we could start building horsemen. Still not many numidian merc have been built, due to warriors being produced quickly to quell unrest in some towns, and expansion and library building taking a higher priority. Now that some towns have libraries and temples (and granaries), merc production is beginning to kick in to gear to give a decent garrison.

Just to go a bit beyond the 10 AD marker, in 70 AD we finished polytheism, and the Arabs still hadn't completed their research project. We traded polt to the Arabs for maths, horse riding, WM and 409 gold (most of their gold - I'd rather get gold from them (since the value of poly is doubled for my first trade due to the monopoly effect) and then get iron working from Egypt). Polytheism also goes to Egypt for iron working, WM, 11 gold and a RoP agreement (so they stop complaining about my galleys moving through their waters). At this point we have caught up in tech with Arabia and Egypt, and start researching code of laws, which will take 10 turns. I guess that the Arabs aren't researching it, or they'd surely have finished by now, so they must be going for currency or construction. I want to get to republic ASAP, since I'm going to be carrying the research load mostly until we can make contact with more civs (come on the suicide galleys).