Old June 27, 2003, 11:50   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 22:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Little help needed.
Hi,

I don't get allot of time to play this. Finished what I think was my 4th complete game last night.

A few weeks back I got on MP and got my ass kicked. I expected as much, though, and payed attention to learn from all the mistakes.

I then wen out for the first game since that time last night and began to really stomp the AI. I was playing the Aztecs, on a Big Huge democracy game against a Tough AI. I had only one small mountain and began warring in the early Classical as much to gain Iron as to really raid (love the resource bonus to killing as Aztecs)

Everything was going fine, I had a nice army that moved up through the closest neighbor, made allies with another, and sent that army up through the next and the next all the while researching and marching. I had claimed the collossus, versaille, terra cotta, but lost out somehow to the statue (lost there, I started it earlier and had more workers...lost to germany somehow) Anyway, I had a slight tech lead and began to march through more territory with my main army. There were only me and Greece (my ally) and Germany and Russia (their ally) left.

They had pulled equal in tech, and I get the nuclear research warning. I began to move on Russia. This is where everything fell apart. First, for some unknown reason the barracks ceased to continue to the armies control group. I had them set to follow the General, but soon noticed my army was shrinking. Later in the game, I noticed they were all standing around back where the army was originally but failed to follow/be added to the control group. Is there a limit to the size of these? That is the only explaination I can come up with.

This of course led to the failure to make a significant dent in Russia with that assault for it was not until I was nearly wiped out that I noticed it first. This in turn would come back to cost me the game.

The constant war from here on was very fun and interesting and I found many new weaknesses in my game. I am decent with the early game, but I need some real work on the use of Airforces. What is the best way to utilize them? Do the guard commands make the planes attack anything within range of the army, or just defend against helis/bombers? What is the easiest way to rebase them without having to find the nearest airport and manually do it? Is there an auto rebase option type of order? ie, can they automatically choose the nearest empty base?

The game proceeded in a stalemate as I was the only one really fighting both of them, Greece was...well, I don't know what the hell he was thinking, but he had an army just sitting there. Russia researched missile shield and both them and Germany saw fit to launch 3 nukes each resulting in Armegeddon.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2003, 17:03   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 21:40
Quote:
... First, for some unknown reason the barracks ceased to continue to the armies control group. I had them set to follow the General, but soon noticed my army was shrinking. Later in the game, I noticed they were all standing around back where the army was originally but failed to follow/be added to the control group. ...
Perhaps the 'group' had ceased to exist?
See Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN General Discussion & Suggestions » How do you select all units of a certain type ?

Rebasing aircraft might easiest be done by changing the rally point of the original airbase to the new airbase. Also see
Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » RoN General Discussion & Suggestions » Aircraft selection please?

Regarding fighters seeming to not engage enemy ground, I definitely agree it is ambiguous. It is often difficult to see strafing actions even on Very Slow (which, to me, is Battle Speed).
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2003, 18:17   #3
WoodenTaco
Settler

Local Time: 04:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
For some reason, I am quite sure that biplanes strafe enemy gruond troops on patrol. I think the later fighters are the same.
WoodenTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2003, 22:00   #4
Lord Sun Ce
Settler

Local Time: 23:40
Sometimes you have to manually attack targets with the planes. Or, just assign a control group # to the planes, and then you'll get an attack sign to attack a target, not an air mission sign. With bombers, make no more than 40. lol. Love those bombers. With 40, you can assign 10 to 4 towns, thus greatly lowering your opponent's ability to wage war. How are you supposed to fight a war w/o goods? To ensure to more buildup at those towns, send in air patrols of 5-10 planes and 2-6 helo's at each town. Now you can then attack his infrastructure in the center of his empire, paving your way to his cap. In cap. elim. games, bombers are a must for me, since I just carve out a route with air support, then attack full force with my army. Oh, and just a little tip that I just noticed is that the general bonus to defense also works for planes, thus making them highly effective, allowing them to survive much more punishment. The general bonus should also work with helo's, so when using helo's in an army, put them in a control group with a general.
Lord Sun Ce is offline   Reply With Quote