Old June 29, 2003, 19:18   #91
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon
to europeans sports aren't changable, touchable in anyway. to americans they are.

we've also changed lots of things about baseball. our national past time. we've tightened the strike zone, lowered the mound, made the parks smaller, brought in the DH.

we are much more accepting of change we perceive as good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Oh, and we do understand the game and its nuances, but American sports have had some drastic changes (Basketball added the 3 point line, AmiFootball moved the endposts to the back of the endzone, etc), and you can be sure we know the nuances of them.

Football has changed as well. 2 points for a win was changed to 3 points. Offside rules have been relaxed from strict adherence of two opposition players between the attacking players and the goal line to in line with attacking players interfering with play. Golden goal has replaced a full period of extra time. The ball is consistently being redesigned. Rules regarding suspension of players has lead to the clean slate rule. The rules regarding goalkeeping handling and back passes has changed aswell. There are probably loads more that I haven't mentioned.

Football is not static in its rules, but there are some things that just cause fans to protest "You can't do that!".
Old June 29, 2003, 19:18   #92
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 04:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Ugh... DH sucks! So do smaller parks .

I'm a fan of increasing the strike zone, having larger parks (like Comerca or Pac Bell), eliminating the DH.
=D
Old June 29, 2003, 19:18   #93
reds4ever
Prince

Imran/Yav

the rules of FOOTBALL have changed a lot over the last decade (3 points for a win, back pass rule. etc) These are big changes as to how the game s played, comparable to the changes that Yavoon mentions in US 'sports'.
But would you like a limey suggesting Baseball should have bigger bats to encourage more homeruns?
Old June 29, 2003, 19:21   #94
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
Quote:
to europeans sports aren't changable, touchable in anyway. to americans they are.

we've also changed lots of things about baseball. our national past time. we've tightened the strike zone, lowered the mound, made the parks smaller, brought in the DH.

we are much more accepting of change we perceive as good.

Football has changed as well. 2 points for a win was changed to 3 points. Offside rules have been relaxed from strict adherence of two opposition players between the attacking players and the goal line to in line with attacking players interfering with play. Golden goal has replaced a full period of extra time. The ball is consistently being redesigned. Rules regarding suspension of players has lead to the clean slate rule. The rules regarding goalkeeping handling and back passes has changed aswell. There are probably loads more that I haven't mentioned.

Football is not static in its rules, but there are some things that just cause fans to protest "You can't do that!".
there's been some hand waving at trying to promote more points. it doesn't appear to have done much. baseballs rules changes and footballs have both been pretty obviously effective in the desired direction.

3 pts for win(dnt like ties!). tiebreakers being on goal differential(go foor blowouts!). slack up the offsides rule(less goals taken away!). have not made nearly the dent. and is more like treading water.
Old June 29, 2003, 19:22   #95
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 00:44
Quote:
But would you like a limey suggesting Baseball should have bigger bats to encourage more homeruns?
Well, they could go ahead, but a bigger bat would just create more wind resistance, lessing bat speed and have less Home runs .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 29, 2003, 19:23   #96
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever
Imran/Yav

the rules of FOOTBALL have changed a lot over the last decade (3 points for a win, back pass rule. etc) These are big changes as to how the game s played, comparable to the changes that Yavoon mentions in US 'sports'.

would I not like it? I dont know. we've choosen to increase scoring in other ways(lowering the mound has a huge impact on how easy the ball is to hit). and I think baseball will not gain any more popularity or become any more exciting by increasing the score of games further.

no hitters are still possible and 20 run games are possible, I think baseball has worked its way into a nice position in that regard.
Old June 29, 2003, 19:24   #97
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:

there's been some hand waving at trying to promote more points. it doesn't appear to have done much. baseballs rules changes and footballs have both been pretty obviously effective in the desired direction.

3 pts for win(dnt like ties!). tiebreakers being on goal differential(go foor blowouts!). slack up the offsides rule(less goals taken away!). have not made nearly the dent. and is more like treading water.
I'm sorry, what effect are you hoping changes to have on the game? It is already the world's most popular sport as it is.
Old June 29, 2003, 19:27   #98
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:

I'm sorry, what effect are you hoping changes to have on the game? It is already the world's most popular sport as it is.
..in a nutshell, we're only trying to educate you!
Old June 29, 2003, 19:28   #99
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:

to be more exciting? its also the worlds most played sport by a vast vast margin. compare that to american football which relatively few ppl ever play but tons of ppl watch.

honestly I don't watch soccer matches unless they are of very significant importance(worldcup). but I do like soccer highlights of the 3-4 interesting things that happen during a match. and I like playing soccer. otherwise its frankly boring.

never played football, love watching it.
Old June 29, 2003, 19:29   #100
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 00:44
Well the one thing football has to do is crack down on diving much more than it is right now. If that means having a video judge that buzzes down to the ref, then so be it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)