Old June 29, 2003, 21:30   #1
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 22:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Alcohol and Alcoholism
Recently I've been told some things that concerned me about alcohol. Namely, my great-grandfather and grandfather on my mother's side are alcoholics. My mom says alcoholism could be heridetary, but I don't know if this is true or if she's just trying to curb my drinking and/or scare me.

I've also heard that people who experience either total blackouts or fragmentary blackouts while drinking, especially with low amounts of alcohol, a at a much higher risk of becoming alcoholics as other people. This, too, concerns me -- it doesn't take much to get to the point of fragmentary blackouts.

I'm also unsure just how much Celexa affects tolerance lf alcohol -- the warning material supplied with it says it can decrease alcohol tolerance.

But on friday night, after simply 1 355mL Smirnoff Ice, I was feeling a bit buzzed. 2 more later, plus about 200mL of a Screwdriver and my memory pretty much sucks from that point on.

Other people, younger than me, drank far more than me (7 beers, etc) and remember absolutely everything.

So what's the deal? What are the true risks of being an alcoholic given a family history on one side, and also having memory loss very early?
Old June 29, 2003, 21:32   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:49
Addiction is hereditary... alcoholism is the medium.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:32   #3
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 04:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I get memory loss after a moderate amount, I wouldnt worry too much about that.

I dont know if its hereditory or not, but if it is, then the risk is elevated but not certain, but you should probably cut down to be safe.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:33   #4
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 06:49
3 smirnoffs ice and a screwdriver and you had a memory loss?

yep that's pretty rare AFAIK.

It would take a whole bottle of vodka to make me have a memory loss but even that doesn't make it. it has been tested and i dont drink a lot, more like once every 2 months or so will i drink more than just a couple of beers, so its not "thanks" to higher tolerance.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:36   #5
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

never had a memory loss from drinking, at least no major ones

one night we had seevral beers and whiskey at a school party, then went to a pub in town owned by a former schoolmate. he gave us, for free, in short time, 2 double vodka Absolut, one shot ob absinth, and a B 52...

that added to the vast amounts of beer, wine, sparkling wine and whiskey that we had earlier, produced the most enormous plastering I've had so far... and still no memory loss
Old June 29, 2003, 21:41   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:49
never had memory loss- that I know of

even when I passed out standing up against a tree.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:42   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I guess that makes me a supreme lightweight then. Or maybe it's the mix with the drugs (the label clearly says avoid alcohol).

I guess it's a good thing, saves me money.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:44   #8
Bereta_Eder
Settler

the only memory loss I ever had from drinking was during the 5day holiday we have near the end of highschool. we went to a nice island

I drunk so many kamikajies...

after that they called kamikajie

of course I was a "light case" a couple of other students had to be taken to the hospital and given caffeine shots.

Ah those poor professors of ours, to how much stress we have put them to

funny thing from memory loss is that thenext day you have so many different people telling you different things about what you did!

and you also have people you never met before (or so you think) saying hi to you out of the blue.

ah happy days.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:44   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:49
Quote:
I guess that makes me a supreme lightweight then. Or maybe it's the mix with the drugs (the label clearly says avoid alcohol).

I guess it's a good thing, saves me money.
Be very careful if you are on any meds. Those labels are there for a reason.

Also, if you are not a regular drinker, don't weigh a lot, or drink on an empty stomach, smaller amounts of alcohol will **** you up more than they would other people.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:46   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
funny thing from memory loss is that thenext day you have so many different people telling you different things about what you did!

and you also have people you never met before (or so you think) saying hi to you out of the blue.

ah happy days.
I had sex and don't remember a damn thing about it.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:46   #11
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

I guess that makes me a supreme lightweight then.
too supreme lightweight.. I doubt anyone is. Which makes me believe that

Quote:
Or maybe it's the mix with the drugs (the label clearly says avoid alcohol).
that could be it.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:47   #12
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 05:49
Re: Alcohol and Alcoholism
Quote:
Recently I've been told some things that concerned me about alcohol. Namely, my great-grandfather and grandfather on my mother's side are alcoholics. My mom says alcoholism could be heridetary, but I don't know if this is true or if she's just trying to curb my drinking and/or scare me.
I would say that's a TINY exaggeration... TENDENCY to alcoholism may be hereditary, but just because it is more common in a family doesn't make it a certainty a given individual will hit the stuff... and never stop.

Quote:
I've also heard that people who experience either total blackouts or fragmentary blackouts while drinking, especially with low amounts of alcohol, a at a much higher risk of becoming alcoholics as other people. This, too, concerns me -- it doesn't take much to get to the point of fragmentary blackouts.
I'VE NEVER HEARD THIS... but I'll take it onboard. Could it be some alcoholics like the "blackout effect" and use alcohol to forget some trauma? Possible explanation there.

Quote:
I'm also unsure just how much Celexa affects tolerance lf alcohol -- the warning material supplied with it says it can decrease alcohol tolerance.
I would guess this is down to the individual... it seems you are less tolerant of the combination.

Quote:
But on friday night, after simply 1 355mL Smirnoff Ice, I was feeling a bit buzzed. 2 more later, plus about 200mL of a Screwdriver and my memory pretty much sucks from that point on.
Possible explanation here - the screwdriver had more than 1 shot of alcohol in it.

I've gotten SERIOUSLY SMASHED on just one mixer and alcohol bought by a "friend" - the "friend" thought it would be hilarious to put 6 shots into it!

Quote:
Other people, younger than me, drank far more than me (7 beers, etc) and remember absolutely everything.

So what's the deal? What are the true risks of being an alcoholic given a family history on one side, and also having memory loss very early?
Tolerance to alcohol varies not only with the situation, but also with how often you do the stuff. Like everything else really...

I would guess that you hadn't been drinking for a while (sensible ) and so, with the medication, it hit you harder than normal.

If you are worried about becoming an alcoholic, I would keep an eye on it - and don't be afraid to have "dry" evenings out where you avoid it completely. At the same time, a little bit once in a while has been shown to lead to a longer, happier life...

It's when you can't stop that you get labelled as an alky.

Hope this helps.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 29, 2003, 21:47   #13
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Asher... you're not technically supposed to drink while taking SSRIs. The medication near QUADROUPLES many people's reaction to alcohol - I personally will be way past tipsy after nursing even one beer. 3 drinks in a night is safe while using anti-depressants, you simply can't binge safely as you used to. Basically a glass of wine with dinner here, or a beer at the bar there is seen as ok. Multiples exaggerate the effect, and once you get beyond 5 or 6, you're going to probably be straight f*cking hammered (as is the case for myself) - and not with good social results
Old June 29, 2003, 21:48   #14
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:

now that would be sad.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:50   #15
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Quote:
I guess it's a good thing, saves me money
So thats how you afford windows licences!!
Old June 29, 2003, 21:51   #16
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
Asher... you're not technically supposed to drink while taking SSRIs. The medication near QUADROUPLES many people's reaction to alcohol - I personally will be way past tipsy after nursing even one beer. 3 drinks in a night is safe while using anti-depressants, you simply can't binge safely as you used to. Basically a glass of wine with dinner here, or a beer at the bar there is seen as ok. Multiples exaggerate the effect, and once you get beyond 5 or 6, you're going to probably be straight f*cking hammered (as is the case for myself) - and not with good social results
This would totally explain it then.

I knew you were useful for something.
Old June 29, 2003, 21:57   #17
Ecthy
Emperor

last night I tried to draw a smiley next to my name... the pen was a bit old and f*cked up, and now anyone seeing my name on that girl's schoolmate sheet with that stupid smiley attempt next to it must think me the offspring of a beer can and a turd.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:06   #18
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:49
I get to the point of vomitting well before I get to memory loss. I haven't had memory loss yet, which is a lot of fun when you can laugh at those who did forget, and also imply that they did things they would be embarassed about.

Quote:
What a waste.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:09   #19
Ecthy
Emperor

he probably just told him. when in reality Asher ran around naked and crapped int oevery corner with everyone laughing at him and making pictures. he'll never know, though. he just buys the sex version.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:19   #20
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I get to the point of vomitting well before I get to memory loss. I haven't had memory loss yet, which is a lot of fun when you can laugh at those who did forget, and also imply that they did things they would be embarassed about.
You're mean.
But I've never been sick while drinking, nor have I ever really had a hangover (save for not being hungry in the morning, being very tired, and maybe a headache).

Quote:
What a waste.
It happens enough with him that it doesn't matter much really.

Quote:
he probably just told him. when in reality Asher ran around naked and crapped int oevery corner with everyone laughing at him and making pictures. he'll never know, though. he just buys the sex version.
Damn you! I never thought of that...
He would do that, too.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:23   #21
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
i dont know but i will say this...

STOP TAKING CELEXA

had to go to an incompetent psychiatrist who prescribed me that ****... no affect. i then randomly stopped taking them and there's been no difference in anything. it's bullshit to weaken you... thinking you need drugs
Old June 29, 2003, 22:24   #22
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

If it didn't help you, it's probably because it's a psychological problem with you rather than physiological...

You really have no idea how much it's helped me. I'm like a whole new person IRL. Extroverted, confident, sociable, etc.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:28   #23
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Asher:

thats why i told the guy... i said, if i'm troubled at all it's because how i live... so fix the problems in my life and i'd be great... medicine won't do ****.

nevertheless, i don't beleive in this physiological ****... Asher, if you got some problems in your life, give me your AIM name and what not and i'll talk to you and try to help you... no need for no drugs.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:29   #24
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
Asher:

thats why i told the guy... i said, if i'm troubled at all it's because how i live... so fix the problems in my life and i'd be great... medicine won't do ****.

nevertheless, i don't beleive in this physiological ****... Asher, if you got some problems in your life, give me your AIM name and what not and i'll talk to you and try to help you... no need for no drugs.
Everybody's different, Speer.

I don't need to talk about anything right now. I've been on a bunch of different drugs in my teens, none of them really seemed to do much, but Celexa hit the spot for me.

As for "talking", I had a psychologist for a while til I dumped him for being a useless turd.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:37   #25
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Asher:

i'm better than any damn psychologists. they just have you sit on some little coach and ask you vague questions like, "how are you feeling? tell me about your feelings," all the while they're eating potato chips and taking calls from their family and you're paying 20 dollars per ten minute session...
Old June 29, 2003, 22:38   #26
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

But there's nothing to talk about.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:38   #27
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Asher:

so if nothing's wrong, why are you still using celexa?

(how much are you on by the way? 5 mg? 10?)
Old June 29, 2003, 22:40   #28
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Asher:

so if nothing's wrong, why are you still using celexa?
Because prior to it, something was wrong.
Now, it's not.

And seeing as it's free, and things are going great, why risk going off it?

Quote:
(how much are you on by the way? 5 mg? 10?)
60mg...

If you were on 5/10mg, no wonder it didn't work for you.

I didn't notice any difference til 40mg. They started me off at 10, then 20, then 40. 40 was when I started noticing a difference, and 60 seems perfect.

The highest he'll let me go is 80.
Old June 29, 2003, 22:43   #29
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Asher:

i dont understand... something was wrong before and now it's not so whats the need for the pills? your life has improved so you don't need to be on that 'high' of celexa?

and damn 60 mg?! my psychiatrist and therapist couldn't decide if i should be on 5 or 10... anything more was un-needed.

thanks
Old June 29, 2003, 22:45   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Asher:

i dont understand... something was wrong before and now it's not so whats the need for the pills? your life has improved so you don't need to be on that 'high' of celexa?
No, Speer: Celexa is a treatment, not a cure.

If I stop taking it, I'll likely turn back to what I was before.

Quote:
and damn 60 mg?! my psychiatrist and therapist couldn't decide if i should be on 5 or 10... anything more was un-needed.

thanks
The typical dosage is 40, IIRC.

According to my doc, anxiety disorders (rather than depression) require 60-80 to work.

5 or 10 is the usual starting dose, as your body begins to adapt to it. I started at 10, and I had huge headaches and insomnia for the first 3 days, then it went away. When I went up to 20, I had a headache for about a day, then it went away. Haven't had any other side-effects since, aside from lowerered alcohol tolerance.