Old June 30, 2003, 23:52   #1
ToeTruck
Warlord

Local Time: 23:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
An OCC Strategy Guide for Emperor and Deity
Introduction:

My intention for this series of games is to determine a research and building path that has a high likelihood of leading to a Spaceship Victory when playing with just one city on a Standard Map at Emperor. My thesis is that given a reasonably good starting position achieving an OCC Victory is a matter of execution; anyone can do it if given appropriate guidance.

Following this strategy also leads to Spaceship Victories at the Deity level as well, but it is far more difficult to do. Not impossible, just more difficult.

Initial Notes:

I have to think a bit about defining “high likelihood of leading to a Spaceship Victory”, but for now I’m happy with 50%. While writing this article, I played five Emperor games and one Deity game yielding two Spaceship wins and two Cultural wins. The Deity game was a loss, by the way.

I also must do a better job of defining “reasonably good starting position”, but for now I mean a position where the city site meets the following criteria:
  1. - Borders a body of fresh water allowing for a size 12 city without an Aqueduct
    - Borders the coast to allow for building of The Colossus
    - Able to produce at least two shields from undeveloped tiles at size one
    - With 12 developed tiles producing a total of at least 18 shields under Despotism
    - With 12 developed tiles producing a total of at least 30 beakers under Despotism with The Colossus
    - With 20 developed tiles producing a total of at least 80 shields under Republic with a Factory and a Hydro or Coal Plant
    - With 20 developed tiles producing a total of at least 350 beakers under Republic with Library, University, Copernicus’ Observatory, Newton’s University, Commercial Dock, Research Lab, and SETI
    - Is within 4 tiles of the initial position

I believe that a starting position meeting the above criteria is fairly common under any randomly generated Pangaea map of standard size. I have had the best success with the following settings:
  1. - Pangaea
    - 70% water
    - Wet
    - Temperate
    - 3 billion years old

Please note that I’m willing to hit “Quick Start” as many times as necessary to find a position that meets the criteria described above, but I’m not willing to reload once the game is started. Occasionally, I will reload a failed game to test a theory pertinent to the question at hand, but I will never report such a reloaded game as a victory.

I always play with Random Rivals, No Linked Start, and Normal Production. Sometimes, I change the Barb Level and the Victory Conditions, but my default game is Raging Barbs with All Victory Conditions.

This article refers to games with Greece because of its starting techs and my familiarity with its dynamics of play. I’ve tried other civs and would love to write up a guide for them as well, but for now I’m satisfied playing Alexander.

Strategy Overview:

This strategy is rather single minded. The goal is to produce a Spaceship Victory as quickly as possible. This approach can yield surprisingly early Diplomatic Victories and quite a few Cultural Victories as well, but the primary focus is launching.

If I had to identify a trademark aspect of this strategy it would be “Sell! Sell! Sell!” Think of yourself as a used car salesman with really bad cars…total lemons. No tech is worth holding onto; get what you can and move on. If you can’t get anything in exchange, give it away. Trade like there’s no tomorrow. No holding back. None. Ever.

Get the point?

Unless your head is now nodding and you’re sitting there saying: “Yes, TT, I understand!” reread this section. Think about it again and make sure it sinks in.

Think about it until you’re willing to trade Feudalism for 16 gold and a World Map, until you’re willing to give away Invention and Chivalry in the same turn, until you’re willing to buy Advanced Flight for 7200 gold just to give it away to every podunk civ on the planet, until you’re willing to spend 34 turns researching Space Flight just to offer it up, no strings attached, to your biggest rival. Think about it some more.

This strategy is single minded. Sell! Sell! Sell!

That said, there are times when I do hold a tech. Your head is still nodding, right? If not, think some more. Read this section again, and again, and again. Quick check: Sell Motorized Transport for World Map, 7 gold/turn, and 12 gold. Good deal, right?

If you even hesitated the slightest bit, back up. Start again. You aren’t ready.

Seriously, I had a hard time with this concept. It took me a long time before I could pull the trigger. It’s really hard. Another quick check: Sell Flight for Spices, World Map, 4 gold/turn, and 16 gold. If you can’t stomach that deal, back up, re-read, and re-think.
If you’ve made it this far your head better be bobbing like there’s no tomorrow.
Now the exceptions: Occasionally, and I do mean occasionally, I will wait until a previous gold/turn or strategic or luxury resource deal has expired before I trade. I will also hold a tech back when I can’t be sure I’ll build the Wonder upon which the tech depends.

A couple of specifics:
  1. - I will not sell or give away Literature until I’m a turn away from building Great Library. At this point in the game, there’s little to gain. The AI doesn’t have a lot of cash to spare and I’m going to get all the techs anyhow, right? Occasionally, one of my rivals will demand Literature as tribute in which case I say ‘Okay’ and cross my fingers.
    - I will only trade Astronomy if I can get a tech like Invention or Gunpowder in exchange or all the big lead items like Sun Tzu’s, Sistine Chapel, or Leonardo’s Workshop have been built.
    - Under Emperor, it’s pretty safe to trade away Theory of Gravity. At that point in the game, the AI is more interested in JS Bach’s, Smith’s Trading Company, Magellan’s Voyage, or Shakespeare’s Theater. When playing Deity, however, it’s a different story. Then I am much more stingy with Theory of Gravity and Astronomy for that matter.
    - After building Theory of Evolution, I always take Atomic Theory and Electronics. I will trade Atomic Theory around right away, but I will only trade Electronics if I can get a couple of “middle-line” techs like The Corporation, Steel, or Refining. Or, maybe a couple of big cash deals.
Those are the exceptions. That’s it. Otherwise, it’s Sell! Sell! Sell!

Required Wonders and Improvements:

This OCC strategy requires the following Wonders and Improvements to be built in approximately the listed order:
  1. - Colossus
    - Granary (for a slow growth position)
    - Temple (for a high growth position)
    - Great Library
    - Marketplace
    - Temple (if you didn’t build it before Great Library)
    - Cathedral
    - Colosseum
    - Harbor
    - Library (must be built before the discovery of Education)
    - University (sometimes I use University as a lead item for Copernicus’ Observatory)
    - Copernicus’ Observatory
    - University (if you didn’t build it before Copernicus’ Observatory)
    - Courthouse (not required, but still worth it)
    - Bank (sometimes I use Bank as a lead item for Newton’s University or even Theory of Evolution)
    - Newton’s University
    - Granary (if you didn’t build it before Great Library)
    - Hospital
    - Factory
    - Theory of Evolution
    - Hydro Plant (or Hoover Dam) – Sometimes I even build Hydro Plant then Hoover Dam
    - Stock Exchange (or Bank first if you needed it as a lead item)
    - Commercial Dock
    - Intelligence Agency (not required under Emperor, but a must under Deity)
    - Apollo Program
    - Research Lab
    - SETI
    - Nuclear Plant (if my shield production needs an extra boost)
    - SS Components (I often build the cheap ones in between Apollo and the discovery of Computers)
Alternatively, I skip Space Flight entirely and go straight for Fission and the United Nations. I find that the Sell! Sell! Sell! Strategy usually makes most of my rivals Gracious. A Diplomatic Victory is pretty easy to achieve.

Other Wonders:

In addition to the Wonders listed above, I’m often able to build Hanging Gardens, Great Lighthouse, and sometimes Sistine Chapel. That’s when I play Emperor; under Deity, it’s rare when I get one of those extra Wonders.

Basic Strategies:

Playing OCC is an exercise in micro-management. This section is more concerned with overall goals and higher level guidelines. The section following this one describes the micro-management techniques I use in playing OCC.

My basic OCC strategy for the Ancient Times is:
  1. - Research Writing at 1 beaker/turn
    - Mine first, then road
    - Build 2 Warriors and 1 Worker as quickly as possible giving priority to the Worker
    - Explore until you have contacted two rivals; don’t tip huts
    - Build Colossus as quickly as possible
    - Replace Warriors with Hoplites while waiting for Literature
    - Build Wealth once Hoplites are in place
    - Research Literature at 100% once Writing is discovered
    - Use Barracks as a lead item to the Great Library
    - Buy Ceremonial Burial and/or Pottery as cheaply as possible for an better lead item, extra happiness, and quick growth as the opportunity arises or necessitates
    - Join Workers to city as soon as 12 tiles are fully developed (less than 12 if happiness works out better or a rival is building the Great Library)
    - Never have more than 4 units under Despotism unless needed to fend off Barbs or to develop tiles
    - Buy or trade for Workers whenever possible (this applies to all ages, not just the Ancient Era)
My priority during the Golden Age is to build the following:
  1. - Marketplace - top priority, no question about it
    - Temple – often built prior to Golden Age
    - Cathedral - to reduce dependence on Entertainment
    - Colosseum - to reduce dependence on Entertainment
    - Harbor – to control the mix of shields and commerce and to allow trade for Luxuries
    - A Wonder like Hanging Gardens, Great Lighthouse, or Sistine Chapel
    - Library - not high priority, but must have Library in place before Education is discovered
My basic OCC strategy for the Middle Ages is:
  1. - Don’t research anything until Education is discovered
    - Trade techs freely. Give techs away if necessary to keep your rivals researching techs you don’t have. This is often (not always) true even after Education as been discovered. You want to get Copernicus’ Observatory and Newton’s University built before the AI is done expanding.
    - Make sure you have Library and Republic in place before Education is discovered
    - Make sure you are spending as little as possible on Entertainment when Education is discovered
    - Once Education is discovered, research Astronomy at 100% and then whatever techs are needed to get Theory of Gravity as quickly as possible
    - Use Sistine Chapel, Leonardo’s Workshop, or Sun Tzu’s as lead item to Copernicus’ Observatory. Under Deity, however, it’s a different story. Try to have the AI build these Wonders before anyone even discovers Astronomy.
    - Use JS Bach’s Cathedral, Smith’s Trading Company, Magellan’s Voyage, Shakespeare’s Theater, or even Bank as lead item to Newton’s University.
    - Establish Embassies and investigate cities to track the Wonder building progress of your rivals
My basic OCC strategy for the Industrial Ages is:
  1. - Research Sanitation and then Scientific Method as quickly as possible
    - Trade Medicine or Sanitation for Steam Power
    - Stock up on Workers while not building anything else
    - Try to railroad all 20 tiles in one 20-turn purchase of Iron and Coal
    - Trade for or buy Industrialization if a factory is needed to boost production
    - If you had to purchase the Iron, try to build a Factory during the same purchase as you railroad
    - Make sure you are researching Atomic Theory when Theory of Evolution is completed. Sometimes you can research Corporation before Theory of Evolution is completed, but don’t count on it.
    - Take Atomic Theory and Electronics as the two freebies
    - Trade Atomic Theory around hopefully getting at least Corporation and good gold/turn deals
    - Research Radio as quickly as possible and build either Hydro Plant or Hoover Dam.
    - The AI usually goes for Motorized Transport so research Radio and Flight and trade for the others
My basic OCC strategy for the Modern Age is:
  1. - Get all other civs in the Modern Age to help with research
    - Trade the free tech around freely
    - Depending on the free tech, research as follows:
    ---- Free Tech is Rocketry. Choose one:
    ------ Research Space Flight. Trade for Computers. Build Apollo Program and start building SS
    Components
    ------ Research Computers. Trade for Space Flight. Build SETI and Research Lab
    --- Free Tech is Ecology:
    ------ Research Computers. Trade for Space Flight. Build SETI and Research Lab
    --- Free Tech is Fission:
    ------ Give everything away. Build United Nations. Don’t bother with Space Race.
    --- Free Tech is Computers:
    ------ Bring a Scientific Civ into the Modern Age. Trade for Rocketry. Research Space Flight. Build Apollo Program and start building SS Components
    - One you get Space Flight, research Superconductor or Satellites and use it to trade for the other
    - Establish embassies and spies
    - Look for the opportunity to steal a tech from one civ and trade it to another civ for a second tech
    - The Laser should be your last tech
Micro-Management Techniques:

If you like to micro-manage, OCC is definitely for you. Here are a couple of things I find helpful:

Reduce your expenditure on Research as the turns remaining approaches one. You can save big bucks even when you’re looking at two or three turns left. Duh. That’s a gimme.

Whenever you discover a new tech, click “What’s the big picture?” This allows you to trade the recently acquired tech before your rivals have a chance to get it on their own. This is especially important when you are getting techs from the Great Library or when your rivals are at peace.

Clicking on “What’s the big picture?” also allows you to change your build item at the last minute. I try to time my lead item to match my research. In other words, I want to see “Literature in 5” along with “Granary in 5”. That allows me to switch to the Great Library the turn I discover Literature.

When trading techs, trade a new tech to the second rival before the first. Often your second most powerful rival can give you the same techs in exchange, but the first rival can afford far greater gold/turn deals even if he is the second to receive the tech.

Trading to the second first also allows you to “see” techs further up the tree when you negotiate with the top dog. I can’t count the number of times I’ve traded Atomic Theory away for Industrialization only to realize that a better trading strategy would have snagged Industrialization and Refining or Steel.

Clearing Forests should be considered a source of shields once and only once. I only clear Forests for shields when building a Temple or Granary before the discovery of the Great Library. After that, the primary purpose of Forest clearing is to develop the city radius. In fact, you have to be careful not to “poison” a lead item with dirty shields.

Clearing Jungles is a pain, plain and simple. Even with two Workers, it takes 12 turns. Do it when you can and cringe the whole way through. My only advice is don’t clear a Jungle under Despotism if your Workers could be better used adding to the city size.

When building Railroads:
  • - Concentrate Workers in the beginning of the 20-turn window when you have both Iron and Coal.
    - Towards the end of the 20-turn window spread your Workers out. You can continue railroading current tiles once you lose your Coal or Iron, but you can’t start railroading new tiles.
    - Save Mountains and Hills for last.
Regarding resources, a free-wheeling tech strategy usually brings in all the Strategic resources anyone could possibly want and a fair share of Luxuries needed to support a size 20 city. However, even with the best possible starting position, you will need to buy resources on the open market. When I do have to buy, here’s a list of what I buy and how many times I’m willing to pay for it:
  • - Horses (never): Don’t bother. Ever.
    - Saltpeter (never): Ditto.
    - Iron (once or twice): You might need a second Iron deal to build Factory, but only rarely.
    - Coal (once): Unless you are way short of Workers or have a ton of Mountains, you’ll never need Coal more than once.
    - Oil (never): You only have one city; don’t try to be tough. Battleships and Tanks are for big dogs.
    - Uranium (once): You need Uranium for SS Fuel Cells, but that’s about it. Building the Manhattan Project is fun, but totally unnecessary. That said, using an ICBM as a lead item for SS Components can cut several turns off your launch date.
    - Rubber (once): You need Rubber to build SS Exterior Casing, but nothing else. Don’t waste your energy building Infantry. Remember, you are not a big dog!
    - Aluminum (as often as necessary): Aluminum is the only strategic resource I will buy without a second thought. When the Space Race gets going, there is no way I will allow my source of Aluminum to dry up. Even if you don’t have an SS Component to build right away, renew that Aluminum deal. Period.
When buying Luxuries, OCC players get bargain basement pricing. In my experience, the AI’s final price is about 90% of its initial offering. Deals come in three basic tiers:
  • - The AI asks for 80 gold: you can get it for about 72 gold
    - The AI asks for 50 gold: you can get it for 44 to 46 gold
    - The AI asks for 25 gold: you can get it for 22 or 23 gold
I think there is a relationship between the number of shared civ-specific traits, aggression level, and the final price, but I haven't figured it out yet. Being Commercial figures in somehow, but again I don’t know how.

There is much, much more here that I haven’t even touched upon. Once I get this thread started, I will edit this post to include other micro-management ideas.

Milestones:

This is one of the hardest things to quantify simply because different combinations of maps and the civ-specific traits of your rivals yield wildly different results. That said, here are a couple of targets from my last successful Space Race Victory played under Emperor:
  • - 2110BC: The Colossus
    - 2070BC: Writing
    - 1450BC: Literature
    - 1075BC: Size 12
    - 0925BC: Great Library
    - 0030BC: New Government: Republic
    - 0280AD: Education
    - 0370AD: Copernicus’s Observatory
    - 0720AD: Newton’s University
    - 1010AD: Hospital
    - 1190AD: Size 20
    - 1295AD: Theory of Evolution
    - 1370AD: Hoover Dam
    - 1565AD: SETI
    - 1700AD: Apollo Program
    - 1812AD: Launch!
The order is a little skewed because of the Modern Times freebies in this game, but otherwise, it’s a pretty good gauge of OCC progress.

When I play OCC, my targets are as follows:
  • - Diplomatic Victory: 1700AD
    - Spaceship Victory: 1850AD
    - Cultural Victory: 1950AD
That’s it. Let me know what you think.

- TT

Last edited by ToeTruck; July 7, 2003 at 23:16.
ToeTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2003, 23:54   #2
ToeTruck
Warlord

Log for a Spaceship Victory
Standard Map; Raging Barbs; Pangaea 70%; Wet; Temperate; 3 Billion
Greece; Random Rivals; All Victory Conditions; No Linked Start; Normal Production; Emperor

Ancient Times Turn Log:

4000BC: Founded Athens. Nine rivered tiles and two Cattle. At 1 beaker/ turn, Writing in 40.
3600BC: Size 2.
3550BC: Worker.
3350BC: Warrior
3250BC: Size 2 again.
3000BC: Size 3.
2750BC: Size 4.
2600BC: Contact with India.
2550BC: Size 5.
2350BC: Size 6.
2230BC: Contact with Celts. Bought Ceremonial Burial and Pottery for 74 gold. Contact with Romans.
2110BC: Colossus. Size 7.
2070BC: Writing.
1950BC: Temple.
1870BC: Hoplite. Disbanding Warrior.
1790BC: Hoplite. Disbanding Warrior. Building Wealth.
1725BC: Size 8.
1475BC: Size 9.
1450BC: Literature. Killing Research.
1125BC: Size 10. India establishes Embassy.
1075BC: Got my 12 tiles developed. Joining Workers to make size 12. Great Library in 7.
1025BC: Literature to Romans as tribute.
0925BC: Great Library. Golden Age.
0900BC: Masonry, The Wheel, Warrior Code, Iron Working, Mysticism, Mathematics, Code of Laws, Map Making, and Horseback Riding from the Great Library. Carthaginians build Oracle. Vikings build Great Wall.
0875BC: Polytheism from Great Library. Library.
0850BC: Philosophy from Great Library.
0800BC: Courthouse.
0775BC: Celts build Pyramids.
0750BC: Indians build Great Lighthouse.
0730BC: Harbor.
0690BC: Galley.
0650BC: Lost one Galley. Galley.
0590BC: Galley. Contact with Russia. Traded Literature and Polytheism for Contact with Carthaginians and Territory Map. Traded Literature and 38 gold to Carthaginians for Contact with Vikings. Traded Literature and 15 gold to Vikings for Contact with Chinese. Sold Literature to Chinese for 85 gold. Currency and Construction from Great Library. Sold Monotheism to Carthaginians for World Map and 546 gold. Sold Construction to Romans for World Map and 155 gold. Sold Construction to Indians for World Map and 302 gold. Sold Currency to India for 68 gold. Sold Currency to Romans for 74 gold. Sold Currency to Celts for World Map and 91 gold. Sold Monotheism to Chinese for World Map and 88 gold. Sold Monotheism to Vikings for 44 gold. Gave Construction and Currency to Russia. Gave Monotheism to Celts. All equal in tech.

Middle Ages Turn Log:

0490BC: Sold Monotheism to Romans for World Map and 12 gold. End of Golden Age. Cathedral. Oops, should have been building Marketplace.
0390BC: Marketplace.
0350BC: Sold Monotheism to Indians for World Map and 12 gold.
0330BC: Monarchy from Great Library.
0310BC: Sold Monarchy to Celts for Ivory, World Map, and 26 gold. Sold Monarchy to Carthaginians for World Map and 27 gold. Gave Monarchy to Chinese. Sold Monarchy to Vikings for World Map and 22 gold. Sold Monarchy to Russia for World Map and 39 gold.
0270BC: Bought Furs from Rome for 23 gold. (I only log this because it is so insanely cheap, it allows me to drop my entertainment slider to 10%, and it makes the Romans Polite).
0150BC: Celts have Feudalism.
0130BC: The Republic and Feudalism from Great Library. Sold Republic to Vikings for World Map and 15 gold. Sold Feudalism to Indians for World Map and 31 gold. Gave Republic to India. Gave Republic and Feudalism to Russia.
0090BC: Hanging Gardens. Dropped Entertainment to 0%; everything’s going to revenue.
0070BC: Revolt.
0030BC: New Government: Republic.
0010BC: Bought a Celtic Worker for 115 gold.
0070AD: Colosseum.

Note: I’ve built every City Improvement and Wonder I need from the Ancient Times plus I snagged Hanging Gardens. The only things I still need to build in the Middle Ages are University, Copernicus’ Observatory, Bank, and Newton’s University.

Note: Wealth gives me 3 gpt and I can build a 600 shield Wonder in 25 turns. Therefore, it is a 75 gold gamble that I will get Sun Tzu’s, the Sistine Chapel, or Leonardo’s Workshop. Even if I don’t get one of those Wonders, I have a good chance of pre-building University or Copernicus’ Observatory.

0090AD: Engineering from Great Library. Sold Engineering to Vikings for World Map, 4 gpt, and 3 gold. Sold Engineering to Russia for World Map and 27 gold. Sold Engineering to Carthaginians for World Map and 20 gold. Sold Engineering to India for World Map and 10 gold. Gave Engineering to Romans. Theology from Great Library. Gave Theology to Romans, Indians, Carthaginians, Vikings, and Russians.
0210AD: Chivalry from Great Library. Sold Chivalry to India for World Map, Furs, and 32 gold. Sold Chivalry to Romans for World Map and 8 gold. Sold Chivalry to Russians for World Map and 3 gold. Gave Chivalry to Celts. Invention from Great Library. Gave Invention to Vikings, Russians, Romans, Indians, and Celts.
0280AD: Education and Gunpowder from Great Library. Cranking Research; Astronomy in 23. Sun Tzu’s (or Sistine or Leo’s) in 14.

Note: This is a tricky decision. None of my rivals is established enough to offer any good gpt deals for either Gunpowder or Education. And…I don’t want anyone beating me to Cope’s. Despite those two things, however, trading techs cheaply and even giving them away is still the best thing to do.

0280AD: (contd) Sold Gunpowder to Carthaginians for World Map, 1 gpt, and 75 gold. Sold Gunpowder to Vikings for 1 gpt. Sold Gunpowder to Indians for 2 gold. Traded Gunpowder to Romans for World Map and Horses. Sold Gunpowder to Russians for World Map and 9 gold. Gave Education to Vikings, Russians, Indians, and Carthaginians.
0370AD: Bought Astronomy and Ivory from Celts for 604 gold. Sold Astronomy to Vikings for Wines, Iron, World Map, and 21 gold. Traded Astronomy to Romans for Printing Press. Sold Printing Press to Russians for World Map and 23 gold. Sold Printing Press to Carthaginians for 14 gold. Gave Astronomy to Carthaginians. Gave Astronomy to Russia. Switching to Cope’s. Chemistry in 24. Copernicus’ Observatory.
0420AD: University. Celts build Sun Tzu’s. Chinese build Leonardo’s Workshop.
0430AD: Worker.
0440AD: Bought Chemistry from Vikings for 235 gold. Traded Chemistry to Russians for Banking. Sell Chemistry to Romans for World Map and 21 gold. Gave Banking to Romans. Carthaginians build Sistine Chapel. Size 12 again.
0500AD: Bank.
0560AD: Physics. Sold Physics to China for Economics, Metallurgy, World Map, 20 gpt, and 401 gold. Sold Metallurgy to Indians for Music Theory, World Map, and 20 gpt. Sold Music Theory to Russians for 14 gold. Sold Metallurgy to Vikings for Wines, World Map, and Navigation. Sold Physics to Carthaginians for World Map and 56 gpt. Traded Physics to Romans for Horses. Gave Physics to Vikings and Celts. Gave Economics to Indians. Gave Physics to Indians.

Note: Holding Russia back because Catherine is the only leader of a Scientific Civ out there. I don’t want to miss out on the big Nationalism payout.

Note: Plenty of lead items available.

0690AD: Celts declare war on Indians.
0700AD: Theory of Gravity. Sold Theory of Gravity to Carthaginians for Magnetism, World Map, 55 gpt, and 151 gold. Sold Theory of Gravity to Celts for World Map, 33 gpt, and 147 gold. Sold Magnetism to Romans for 13 gpt and 35 gold. Sold Theory of Gravity to Vikings for Iron, World Map, 5 gpt, and 2 gold. Traded Theory of Gravity to Indians for Democracy. Traded Theory of Gravity to Romans for Free Artistry. Sold Theory of Gravity to Chinese for World Map and 9 gold.

Note: Every is into the Industrial Age except for Russia. Time to trade Nationalism around. Might get something, might not.

0700AD: (contd) Sold Nationalism to Celts for World Map and 69 gpt. Sold Nationalism to Carthaginians for 45 gpt. Sold Military Tradition to Russia for 21 gold. Sold Nationalism to Chinese for 202 gold. Gave Nationalism to Indians, Romans, and Vikings. Gave Physics, Theory of Gravity, and Magnetism to Russia. Switching to Newton’s University. Medicine in 20.

Industrial Ages Turn Log:

0720AD: Newton’s University.
0730AD: Indians build Magellan’s Voyage.
0760AD: Romans and Indians sign Mutual Protection Pact.
0810AD: Celts build JS Bach’s Cathedral.
0820AD: Tribute to China. Worker.
0830AD: Back to size 12.
0860AD: Medicine. Sold Medicine to Indian for Spices, World Map, 116 gpt, and 14 gold. Sold Medicine to Russia for Horses, World Map, 32 gpt, and 4 gold. Sold Sold Medicine to Celts for Incense and 17 gpt. Sold Medicine to China for Wines, Dyes, Iron, 53 gpt, and 124 gold. Sold Medicine to Vikings for World Map, 6 gpt, and 8 gold. Gave Medicine to Romans and Carthaginians.
0890AD: Granary.
0900AD: Worker.
0910AD: Back to size 12.
0940AD: Rifleman.
0950AD: Worker.
0960AD: Back to size 12. Irrigating like crazy.
1000AD: Sanitation. Traded Sanitation to Russia for Steam Power and 62 gold. Sold Sanitation to Celts for Ivory, World Map, 39 gpt, and 100 gold. Sold Sanitation to Vikings for World Map, 8 gpt, and 60 gold. Traded Sanitation to China for Coal and 36 gold. Sold Sanitation to India for World Map and 12 gold. Gave Steam Power to Vikings. Sold Sanitation to Carthaginians for World Map and 5 gold. Gave Steam Power to Carthaginians. Gave Steam Power to Romans. Gave Steam Power to Indians.
1010AD: Disbanded Rifleman into Hospital. Rushed Hospital for 480 gold.
1020AD: Size 13.
1060AD: Size 14.
1090AD: Size 15.
1110AD: Size 16.
1130AD: Size 17.
1150AD: Electricity. Traded Electricity to Carthaginians for Industrialization, World Map, and 4 gold. Sold Electricity to Romans for 76 gpt and 33 gold. Sold Industrialization to Vikings for World Map, 3 gpt, and 18 gold. Gave Electricity to Vikings. Size 18.
1180AD: Rushed Factory for 724 gold. Building Universal Suffrage as lead item.
1190AD: Chinese have destroyed Vikings. Size 20.
1230AD: Size 21. Oops, overshot a bit.
1250AD: Scientific Method. Researching Atomic Theory at 0% until Theory of Evolution is built.
1295AD: Sold Scientific Method to Carthaginians for Corporation, 4 gpt, and 20 gold. Traded Scientific Method to Romans for Espionage. Theory of Evolution. Atomic Theory. Electronics. Sold Atomic Theory to China for World Map, 371 gpt, and 40 gold. Sold Atom Theory to Russia for Replaceable Parts, 45 gpt, and 268 gold. Sold Atomic Theory to India for Rubber, 94 gpt, and 40 gold. Sold Replaceable Parts to Carthaginians for Coal, Iron, 16 gpt, and 20 gold. Trade Atomic Theory to Rome for Communism and Horses. Gave Atomic Theory to Celts and Carthaginians.
1315AD: Chinese build Universal Suffrage.

Note: Athens will build Hoover Dam in 10 turns and nobody is building any other Wonders so it should be safe to trade Electronics around.

1325AD: Sold Electronics to Chinese for Saltpeter, World Map, 241 gpt, and 248 gold. Sold Electronics to India for 52 gpt and 100 gold. Sold Electronics to Celts for Ivory, 21 gpt, and 38 gold. Sold Electronics to Russia for 101 gpt and 272 gold. Sold Electronics to Romans for 71 gpt and 85 gold. Sold Electronics to Carthaginians for 2 gpt and 56 gold.
1370AD: Hoover Dam.
1385AD: Just passed 30,000 gold! Rome declares war on Indians. Stock Exchange.
1390AD: Radio.
1395AD: Sold Radio to Indians for Steel, Refining, World Map, 185 gpt, and 60 gold. Sold Radio to Chinese for 164 gpt, and 130 gold. Sold Refining to Carthaginians for Iron, Coal, 18 gpt, and 10 gold. Sold Radio to Russians for 89 gpt and 970 gold. Sold Radio to Romans for 63 gpt and 150 gold. Sold Radio to Celts for 21 gpt and 3 gold. Sold Radio to Carthaginians for Horses and 1 gpt.
1410AD: Bought Combustion from India for 1309 gold. Bought two Workers from Romans for 195 gold. Sold Combustion to Carthaginians for World Map, 5 gpt, and 19 gold. Tribute to China.
1435AD: Russia declared war on the Indians.
1440AD: Caught Mao trying to plant a spy. Just passed 40,000 gold!
1455AD: Bought another Roman Worker. Bought Mass Production from India for 1710 gold. Sold Mass Production to Romans for World Map, 23 gpt, and 217 gold. Chinese establish Embassy.
1480AD: Flight. Sold Flight to Indians for Motorized Transport, World Map, 9 gpt, and 29 gold.

Note: I’m going to hold back for 3 turns until all gold/turn agreements expire. Researching Computers.

1495AD: Sold Flight to Romans for World Map, 53 gpt, and 7 gold. Sold Flight to Russia for Horses, World Map, and 16 gold. Gave Motorized Transport to Russia. Yea! Russia got Computers! Traded Ecology and 1150 gold to Russia for Computers. Sold Ecology to China for Oil, Iron, World Map, 244 gpt, and 830 gold. Sold Ecology to India for Rubber, World Map, 182 gpt, and 53 gold. Sold Ecology to Celts for World Map and 1617 gold. Sold Flight to Carthaginians for Coal and World Map. Gave Motorized Transport to Carthaginians. Gave Motorized Transport to Romans. China declares war on India. India and Rome sign Peace Treaty. Celts declare war on Indians. Rushed Research Lab for 800 gold. China declares war on Indians. India and Rome sign peace treaty. Celts declare war on Indians.
1500AD: Rush Commercial Dock for 1280 gold. Sold Computers to Celts for Amphibious War, World Map, and 7 gpt. Sold Amphibious War to Carthage for World Map and 2 gpt. Sold Amphibious War to Rome for World Map and 4 gold. Sold Amphibious War to India for World Map, 3 gpt, and 7 gold. Gave Computers and Ecology to Carthage and Rome. Gave Computers to India. All equal tech-wise. Building SETI. Researching Synthetic Fibers.

Note: This is my first game where none of the Scientific Civs got Rocketry as the Modern Age freebie. I’m researching the most “off-path” tech that I will eventually need. Since Rocketry, Recycling, Fission, and Advanced Flight have not been researched, I’m sure that the AI will not research Synthetic Fibers first.

1520AD: Russia and India sign peace treaty. Russia declared war on the Indians. I have no idea why.
1545AD: Pollution!
1565AD: SETI. Just passed 50,000 gold!
1570AD: Chinese destroy Carthaginians. Celts have Fission.

Note: Destroying the Carthaginians is excellent. Hopefully, that means China will take over the rest of its continent (look out Russia) and be able to concentrate on research. I like having one powerful rival that is unable to win by Conquest or Domination. This map is favorable to OCC.

1580AD: Chinese have Rocketry. Mass Transit System. Pollution! Celts build United Nations. Caught Celts trying to plant a spy.

Note: With 50,000+ gold, I can afford to use the Intelligence Agency as a lead item to Apollo Program. If I did not have this much cash or had a higher shield production (100+), I would have built the Agency a long time ago.

1585AD: Rome declared war on the Indians.
1590AD: Russia declared war on the Indians.
1620AD: Synthetic Fibers. Traded Synthetic Fibers to Celts for Rocketry, Fission, and 1820 gold. Sold Synthetic Fibers to China for Aluminum, Oil, Rubber, Coal, Iron, Saltpeter, Horses, World Map, 191 gpt, and 923 gold. Sold Rocketry to Russia for World Map, 21 gpt, and 220 gold. Sold Rocketry to Indians for World Map, 26 gpt, and 9 gold. Sold Rocketry to Romans for World Map, 15 gpt, and 505 gold. Gave Fission and Synthetic Fibers to Indians and Romans. Gave Synthetic Fibers to Russians. All equal tech-wise. Space Flight in 25.
1625AD: China and India sign peace treaty.
1630AD: China declared war on the Russians.
1635AD: Celts called a UN vote!
1640AD: Russians build Manhattan Project. Celts declare war on the Russians.
1665AD: Celts and India sign peace treaty.
1670AD: Bought Space Flight from Celts for 14,900 gold. Sold it to China for World Map and 118 gold. Sold Space Flight to Russia for World Map, 9 gpt, and 170 gold. Gave it to India and Rome.
1690AD: Russia and India sign peace treaty.
1695AD: Russia and Celts sign peace treaty.
1700AD: Rome and India sign peace treaty. Apollo Program.
1710AD: SS Docking Bay.
1720AD: SS Storage/Supply.
1725AD: Chinese destroy the Russians.
1745AD: SS Cockpit.
1750AD: Bought Nuclear Power from Celts for 9500. Sold it to China for Rubber, Advanced Flight, World Map, and 1310 gold. Sold it to India for World Map and 8 gold. Gave Nuclear Power to Indians. All equal tech-wise. Rushed Nuclear Plant for 1920 gold.
1754AD: Satellites. Sold Satellites to China for Iron, Oil, Saltpeter, Coal, Horses, Wines, and Dyes. Sold Satellites to Rome for Incense and 4800 gold. Gave Satellites to India.
1756AD: China has Superconductor.

Note: I have at least 20 turns of building to do so I’m going to research Superconductor on my own then research or buy Laser.

1764AD: SS Exterior Casing.
1780AD: Bought Miniaturization from Celts for 12900 gold.
1782AD: SS Engine.
1784AD: Rushed Offshore Platform.
1790AD: SS Thrusters.
1792AD: Superconductor.
1794AD: China has Laser.
1796AD: SS Stasis Chamber.
1804AD: SS Life Support System.
1806AD: Tribute to China.
1808AD: Fuel Cells.
1810AD: Bought Laser from Chinese for 4000 gold.
1812AD: SS Party Lounge. Launching.

Final Score: 1406 (Alexander to Terrible)
Attached Files:
Old July 1, 2003, 00:04   #3
ToeTruck
Warlord

Log for a Cultural Victory
Standard Map; Raging Barbs; Pangaea 70%; Wet; Temperate; 3 Billion
Greece; Random Rivals; All Victory Conditions; No Linked Start; Normal Production; Emperor

Ancient Times Turn Log:

4000BC: Founded Athens. Eight rivered tiles and two Wheat. At 1 beaker/ turn, Writing in 40.
3800BC: Warrior.
3600BC: Warrior.
3550BC: Size 2.
3450BC: Contact with Spain.
3400BC: Worker.
3100BC: Size 2 again.
2750BC: Size 3.
2470BC: Size 4.
2430BC: Contact with Arabia. Bought Pottery and Ceremonial Burial for 84 gold.
2190BC: Writing. Size 5.
2070BC: Contact with Aztecs. Traded Alphabet and 1 gold for Masonry.
1990BC: Colossus. Using Pyramids as lead item for Great Library.

Note: I usually don’t try using Pyramids to pre-build the Great Library. It almost always fails miserably in Deity, but under Emperor it is worth a shot.

1910BC: Size 6.
1675BC: Size 7.
1625BC: Tribute or 26 gold to Spain.
1400BC: Literature. Killing Research. Great Library in 15 turns.
1325BC: Size 8.
1275BC: Aztecs build Oracle.
1150BC: Tribute of Literature to Arabia.
1075BC: Great Library. Golden Age.
1050BC: The Wheel, Warrior Code, Iron Working, Mysticism, Mathematics, Philosophy, Code of Laws, Map Making, Horseback Riding, and Polytheism from Great Library.
1025BC: Contact with Iroquois. Traded Code of Laws and Literature for Contact with Japanese and World Map.
1000BC: Traded Literature to Japanese for World Map and 1 gold. Sold Code of Laws for World Map and 37 gold. Gave Mathematics to Japanese and English. Traded Polytheism to Iroquois for World Map and 1 gold. Gave Philosophy, Code of Laws, Map Making, and Polytheism to Japanese.
0950BC: Harbor. Size 9. Barbs in the radius.
0925BC: Hoplite.
0900BC: Hoplite. Spanish build Pyramids.
0850BC: Hoplite (had a little civil disorder problem).
0750BC: Tribute of Territory Map and 47 gold to Spanish. Temple.
0690BC: Library. Using Great Lighthouse as lead item for Marketplace or Colosseum.
0650BC: Currency and the Republic from Great Library.
0610BC: End of Golden Age.
0590BC: Size 10.
0550BC: Sold Currency to Aztecs for World Map and 43 gold. Sold Currency to Japanese for World Map and 47 gold. Sold Currency to Iroquois for World Map and 16 gold. Sold Currency to English for World Map and 1 gold. Gave Republic to Aztecs, English, Iroquois, and Japanese. Marketplace.
0530BC: Revolt.
0510BC: Iroquois build Great Lighthouse. Starvation. New Government: Republic.
0470BC: Massive Barbarian Uprising. Construction from Great Library. Sold Construction to Japanese for World Map and 12 gold. Sold Construction to Iroquois for World Map, 10 gold, and a Worker. Sold Construction to English for World Map and 28 gold. Sold Construction to Arabia for World Map and 2 gold. Sold Monotheism to Spain for Monarchy and 3 gold. Gave Monarchy and Monotheism to everyone else.

Middle Ages Turn Log:

0270BC: Cathedral.
0210BC: Size 10 again.
0110BC: Feudalism from Great Library. Sold Feudalism to English for World Map and 40 gold. Sold Feudalism to Iroquois for World Map and 6 gold. Sold Feudalism to Japanese for 9 gold. Sold Feudalism to Arabia for World Map and 24 gold.
0090BC: Colosseum.
0070BC: Arabia builds Great Wall.
0050BC: Joined Worker to make size 11.
0010AD: Engineering from Great Library. Sold Engineering to Aztecs for World Map and 24 gold. Sold Engineering to Spanish for World Map, 7 gpt, and 10 gold. Sold Engineering to Japanese for 15 gold. Sold Engineering to Iroquois for 23 gold. Theology from Great Library.
0030AD: Sold Theology to Iroquois, Aztecs, and Japanese for a total of 12 gold. Chivalry from Great Library. Gave Chivalry to Aztecs, English, Iroquois, and Japanese.
0110AD: Size 12.
0190AD: Contact with Celts. Traded Polytheism for World Map. Gave rest of techs away to Celts.
0340AD: Invention and Printing Press from Great Library. Sold Printing Press around for World Map and 23 gold. Gave Invention away.
0400AD: Sistine Chapel.
0440AD: Courthouse. Using Sun Tzu’s as lead item for University.
0480AD: Spanish build Leonardo’s Workshop.
0520AD: Education and Gunpowder from Great Library. Sold Education around for 34 gold. Gave Gunpowder to anyone who didn’t have it.
0600AD: Japanese build Sun Tzu’s. Hoplite. Lost a few shields in that process.
0690AD: Astronomy.
0750AD: Traded Astronomy to England for Ivory, Wines, Banking, Chemistry, World Map, 18 gpt, and 61 gold. Traded Astronomy and 1700 gold to Spain for Metallurgy. Traded Chemistry to Japan for Horses, Music Theory, World Map, and 33 gold. Sold Chemistry to Iroquois for World Map and 47 gold. Sold Chemistry to Aztecs for 28 gold. Sold Chemistry to Arabs for 21 gold. Gave all other techs away to everyone.
0830AD: Tribute to Spain.
0840AD: Copernicus’ Observatory.
0910AD: Physics. Traded Physics to Spanish for Iron, Navigation, Economics, World Map, 40 gpt, and 139 gold. Traded Physics to English for World Map, 46 gpt, and 150 gold. Sold Economics to Japanese for World Map and 5 gold. Sold Economics to Arabia for 7 gpt and 20 gold. Gave all other techs away to everyone. Spain and England have Democracy.
0930AD: Using Smith’s Trading Company as lead item for Newton’s University.
0940AD: Tribute to England.
1030AD: Japanese build JS Bach’s. Spanish build Shakespeare’s Theater.
1050AD: Theory of Gravity. Traded Theory of Gravity and 180 gold to English for Magnetism. Traded Theory of Gravity to Spanish for World Map, 8 gpt, and 88 gold. Sold Magnetism to Celts for Military Tradition and 22 gold. Sold Magnetism to Iroquois for 8 gold. Sold Magnetism to Aztecs for 20 gold. Traded Nationalism to English for Democracy, World Map, 18 gpt, and 279 gold. Sold Nationalism to Spanish for Horses, Free Artistry, and 92 gpt. Gave Magnetism, Democracy, Free Artistry, Military Tradition, Theory of Gravity, and Nationalism to everyone who didn’t have them. All equal tech-wise.

Industrial Ages Turn Log:

1090AD: Newton’s University.
1110AD: Worker. Spanish build Smith’s Trading Company.
1130AD: Worker.
1150AD: Disbanded Warrior. Rushed Granary for 208 gold.
1170AD: Worker. Spanish build Magellan’s Voyage.
1190AD: Worker.
1210AD: Worker.
1220AD: Medicine. Traded Medicine to Spanish for Iron, Silks, World Map, 78 gpt, and 218 gold. Sold Medicine to English for World Map, 20gpt, and 188 gold. Sold Medicine to Celts for World Map, 75 gpt, and 8 gold. Sold Medicine to Iroquois for 16 gpt and 4 gold. Sold Medicine to Japanese for World Map, 49 gpt, and 40 gold. Sold Medicine to Aztecs for Incense, 16 gpt, and 1 gold. Gave Medicine to Arabia.
1230AD: Worker.
1250AD: Bought Steam Power from Spanish for 2150 gold. Sold Steam Power to Japanese for Horses, World Map, 8 gpt, and 30 gold. Sold Steam Power to Aztecs for 7 gpt and 30 gold. Bought Coal from Aztecs for World Map and 2 gold. Sold Steam Power to Arabia for 6 gold. Size 12 again.
1275AD: Tribute to Spain.
1305AD: Sanitation. Sold Sanitation to English for Ivory, Wines, World Map, 53 gpt, and 9 gold. Sold Sanitation to Spanish for Saltpeter, World Map, 21 gpt, and 2 gold. Sold Sanitation to Aztecs for 20 gpt and 14 gold. Sold Sanitation to Japanese for 5 gpt and 16 gold. Sold Sanitation to Celts for Furs and 10 gold. Gave Sanitation to Arabia. Hospital.
1310AD: Size 13.
1325AD: Size 14.
1335AD: Size 15.
1345AD: Size 16.
1350AD: Just passed 10,000 gold!
1355AD: Size 17.
1360AD: Bank.
1370AD: Size 18.
1375AD: Joined two Workers to make size 20.
1385AD: Electricity. Sold Electricity to English for Coal, Iron, Industrialization, Communism, World Map, and 2 gold. Sold Electricity to Spanish for Incense, World Map, 106 gpt, and 170 gold. Sold Electricity to Celts for World Map, 28 gpt, and 2 gold. Sold Industrialization to Japanese for Horses, 17 gpt, and 1 gold. Sold Electricity to Iroquois for 32 gpt and 210 gold. Sold Communism to Arabia for 22 gold. Gave other techs away.
1395AD: Rushed Factory for 812 gold.
1435AD: Scientific Method. Traded Scientific Method to English for The Corporation, Espionage, World Map, 2 gpt, and 43 gold. Sold Scientific Method to Spanish for Silks, 76 gpt, and 110 gold. Sold Espionage to Aztecs for 55 gold. Sold Espionage to Iroquois for 5 gpt and 39 gold. Sold Espionage to Japanese for 5 gpt and 42 gold. Gave other techs away. Researching Atomic Theory at 0% until Theory of Evolution is built.
1445AD: Tribute to Spain.
1455AD: Theory of Evolution. Atomic Theory. Electronics. Sold Atomic Theory to England for 16 gpt, and 70 gold. Sold Atomic Theory to Spanish for 212 gold and Saltpeter. Sold Atomic Theory to Celts for 72 gpt and 6 gold. Sold Atomic theory to Aztecs for 23 gold. Sold Atomic Theory to Japanese for 48 gold and 2 gpt. Sold Atomic Theory to Iroquois for 35 gold. Sold Atomic Theory to Arabia for 4 gold.
1485AD: Sold Electronics to Spanish for Iron, Horses, Incense, Refining, Replaceable Parts, World Map and 5 gold. Sold Refining to English for 3 gold. Sold Refining to Iroquois for 29 gpt and 10 gold. Sold Refining to Aztecs for 45 gold. Sold Refining to Japanese for 27 gpt and 30 gold. Gave rest of techs away.
1520AD: Spanish destroy Aztecs.
1530AD: English build Hoover Dam. Lost 549 shields. That’s the most I’ve ever lost. J Hydro Plant.
1550AD: Radio. Sold Radio to English for World Map, 79 gpt, and 5 gold. Sold Radio to Spanish for 70 gpt and 230 gold. Sold Radio to Celts for 41 gpt and 50 gold. Sold Radio to Japanese for 11 gpt and 16 gold. Gave it to Iroquois and Arabia. Stock Exchange.
1575AD: Bought Steel for 1690 gold from Spanish. Sold Steel to English for World Map, 27 gpt, and 150 gold. Sold Steel to Iroquois, Japanese, and Arabia for a total of 32 gold.
1615AD: Just passed 20,000 gold.
1620AD: Bought Combustion from Spanish for 840 gold. Sold Combustion to English for Iron, Coal, World Map, 24 gpt, and 20 gold. Sold Combustion to Iroquois for Oil, World Map, 43 gpt and 150 gold. Sold Combustion to Japanese for World Map, 18 gpt, and 100 gold. Sold combustion to Arabia for World Map and 22 gold.
1705AD: Flight. Traded Flight to England for Ivory, Mass Production, World Map, and 11 gold. Traded Flight to Spanish for Saltpeter, 62 gpt, and 1187 gold. Sold Flight to Japanese for World Map, 45 gpt, and 130 gold. Sold Flight to Celts for World Map, Furs and 7 gpt. Sold Flight to Arabia for World Map and 10 gold. Gave Mass Production away. Bought Amphibious Warfare from England for 2230 gold and gave it away to everyone else.
1715AD: Commercial Dock.
1740AD: Bought Motorized Transport from Spain for 3270 gold. Sold Motorized Transport to English for World Map, 40 gpt, and 130 gold. Sold Motorized Transport to Celts for World Map, 38 gpt, and 110 gold. Sold Motorized Transport to Iroquois for World Map, 65 gpt, and 40 gold. Sold Motorized Transport to Japanese for World Map, 22 gpt, and 150 gold. Sold Motorized Transport to Arabia for World Map and 35 gold. Gave/sold Rocketry around for a bunch of resources and a bit of gold. Space Flight in 35.

Modern Times Turn Log:

1768AD: Intelligence Agency.
1782AD: Tribute to Spain.
1794AD: Spain has Fission.
1814AD: Space Flight. Traded Space Flight to Spain for Iron, Saltpeter, Rubber, Fission, World Map, and 1225 gold. Sold Space Flight to Celts for Horses, World Map, 58 gpt, and 1520 gold. Sold Fission to Japanese for World Map, 16 gpt, and 105 gold. Sold Space Flight to England for World Map and 805 gold. Sold Space Flight to Arabia for World Map and 124 gold. Gave Fission and Space Flight to those who didn’t have them.
1824AD: Apollo Program.
1828AD: Bought Computers from Spain for 4400 gold. Traded it around.
1830AD: Research Lab.
1844AD: Spanish have destroyed Japanese. Celts build Manhattan Project.
1846AD: Spain declared war on Iroquois.
1858AD: SETI.
1868AD: Celts build United Nations.
1870AD: Spanish destroy Iroquois.
1874AD: Superconductor. Sold Superconductor to Spanish for Uranium, Rubber, Spices, Silks, and Satellites. Sold Superconductor to Arabia for Ecology, Advanced Flight, World Map, and 780 gold. Sold Advanced Flight to England for 281 gold. Gave Superconductor, Satellites, and Ecology away.
1880AD: SS Engine.
1892AD: SS Life Support System. Spain declared war on Celts.
1902AD: SS Thrusters.
1906AD: SS Docking Bay.
1910AD: Synthetic Fibers. Sold it to Celts for 10 gpt and 460 gold.
1914AD: SS Storage/Supply.
1922AD: SS Cockpit.
1924AD: Cultural Victory!

Attached Files:
Old July 1, 2003, 00:27   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nice job, almost got me to think about doing an OCC, almost.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2003, 00:29   #5
ToeTruck
Warlord

So...what *would* it take?

- TT
Old July 1, 2003, 00:50   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:51

A victorious OCC on emperor is a fine achievement
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2003, 04:56   #7
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 11:51
I played AU302 on Monarch level, so I can appreciate the difficuilty & enjoyment playing OCC.

Agreed with almost everything you have written. Agree with giving away Techs at critical stage of the game. Defintely agree on using the "What's the big picture" to sell Techs and change production.

Only different view point is - I value Great Lighthouse pretty high on the list, It's not an expensive wonder and allows Galley to travel through sea square and +1 movement point. This allows me to look out for other Civilisations earlier & to monopolise Tech trading, or not to fall too far before in Techs.
Old July 1, 2003, 07:14   #8
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:51
One quick question: you played Greece (Scientific, Commercial). Any other interesting civ traits combinations?
I'll give it a try, asa I finish AU208 + 401 + my PP Deity game ...

So far:
Old July 1, 2003, 11:34   #9
ToeTruck
Warlord

Hi Rush,

I do occasionally build the Great Lighthouse. It is especially useful when there are two distinct land masses seperated by sea and coast tiles. The ability to control communication between the separated civs can be worth a lot of cash.

However, I don't think the Lighthouse is a "must-have". If the map is one big continent, it doesn't really get you much.

- TT
Old July 1, 2003, 11:45   #10
ToeTruck
Warlord

Mountain Sage,

For me Greece is definitely the easiest to play, but other civs work pretty well, too.

Koreans, obviously, because they have the same traits, but the UU sucks. Hoplites are way better at holding off barbs in the early game.

Persians are cool because of Masonry. If you play it right and there aren't a bunch of other Industrious civs out there, you can use the Pyramids as a lead item to the Great Library. I once had a game where I built the Great Library in 1250BC and had changed to Republic by 1200BC. That can mean a couple dozen more turns of higher revenue.

I also like the religious civs. Babylonians are an obvious choice, but the Indians are surprisingly playable as well. The big advantage of being religious in OCC is the quick switch of governments. You can even switch in the middle of a Golden Age without wasting 1/4 of your turns in anarchy.

The other fun thing about the Indians is that you can sometimes trigger a Golden Age with the Colossus and use the extra shield boost to build the Great Library.

The big drawback, of course, is that you're not Scientific. Even that isn't so bad. Obviously, you have to trade for Bronze Working to build the Colossus and you lose out on the free techs. But if you think about it, you would have gotten Monotheism from the Great Library anyhow and Nationalism is off-path. Rocketry is the only thing that really hurts.

- TT
Old July 1, 2003, 12:38   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Toe Truck, my issue with OCC is the trading. I am not fond of having to stay in touch with the civs and always looking to make a trade or a gift.
This is being driven home right now in AU402, with 24 civs (ouch).
Old July 1, 2003, 15:19   #12
ToeTruck
Warlord

vmxa1,

I know what you mean about trading; it does get tedious sometimes. Almost nothing in the beginning and pretty easy when you have the Great Library, but once Education is discovered, you have to talk to everyone ever other turn or so just to see what they have.

What's funny here, though, is that I find non-OCC games tedious when you have 200 or so captured workers and a zillion military units running around. So, for me, OCC is a break from tedium.

- TT
Old July 1, 2003, 16:24   #13
vmxa1
Deity

I hear you. I know by the time I get tons of troops the game is soon to end. If I had 200 workers I would let them go on automation to avoid the pain. They can't do much damage that late in the game. Actually I never had 200 workers as I seldom play on maps over std in size.
I just would never be willing to talk to all the civs on more than a once in great while basis. I am too lazy.
I have done more trading in AU402 than any game I ever played and it sucks (especially when it crashes).
Old July 1, 2003, 17:31   #14
ToeTruck
Warlord

Yep, my problem though is that I turn off Domination and Conquest when I intend to war. That makes for a long, long game...with a ton(!) of units.

I tend to play one of two basic approaches:

1) Builder with very few cities. OCC or 5-8 cities shooting for an early launch. I like Greece, Russia, and the Persians.

or...

2) Warmonger taking over the world shooring for a high score. I like China and the Germans.

So...200 workers is pretty average. And, since they're captured, they don't require any support.

- TT
Old July 1, 2003, 19:01   #15
vmxa1
Deity

I think 5-8 would be ok and of course I love China for wars. Germany I am not so fond of as the panzer is so late. Riders are very well timed and 3 move is powerful.
Old July 1, 2003, 19:04   #16
vmxa1
Deity

One of the most unpleasant games I ever had was with China on my land mass with two civs between us. Too far away to get early and when they got Riders it was a bugger to protect my empire with Knights.
Get to them early or late, not in the middle ages.
Old July 3, 2003, 16:37   #17
rdomarat
Settler

Could this strategy be used on a slightly lower difficulty level, or will it only work on Emperor and higher because of the accelerated production for the AIs.

I always get stomped on Emperor, so I'd like to try on Monarch first, but my instincts tell me it would be a waste of time.

Thanks for the detailed post ToeTruck!
rdomarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2003, 17:31   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rdomarat
Could this strategy be used on a slightly lower difficulty level, or will it only work on Emperor and higher because of the accelerated production for the AIs.

I always get stomped on Emperor, so I'd like to try on Monarch first, but my instincts tell me it would be a waste of time.

Thanks for the detailed post ToeTruck!
hi ,

yes , why not , .....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2003, 21:00   #19
ToeTruck
Warlord

rdomarat,

This type of OCC strategy works just as well at the lower levels, but the pace is *way* slower.

I've found that the time when you have the Great Library drags on and on. You should have no problem building most of the high culture wonders.

What that means, though, is that getting a Spaceship Victory is very hard. You end up getting a Cultural Victory before the Modern Techs have been researched.

Remember that you really need the AI to do its fair share of research to move through the tech tree quickly. With one city, its almost impossible to research all the SS Component techs yourself.

In a couple of the Monarch games I've played, I actually started researching when I still had the Great Library. I've experimented with a couple of different approaches, but can't come up with any hard and fast rules of what you should do.

One idea is that you should try to never build Wealth. That is, if you're going to run out of stuff to build, start researching. This is seldom necessary under Emperor and almost never true under Deity, but under Monarch I think its the only way to move the game along.

Talk to you later.

- TT

Last edited by ToeTruck; July 3, 2003 at 21:35.
Old July 3, 2003, 21:31   #20
ToeTruck
Warlord

Techs I Actually Research
Here's something I didn't cover in the initial article, but have been thinking about since.

Of all the techs required for a Spaceship Launch, I actually research surprisingly few of them. Here's a list from the first log I posted:

Ancient Times

Writing
Literature

Middle Ages

Physics
Theory of Gravity

Industrial Age

Medicine
Sanitation
Electricity
Scientific Method
Radio
Flight

Modern Times

Synthetic Fibers
Satellites
Superconductor

That's it! All other techs came from the Great Library, trades, Theory of Evolution, or just plain being Scientific. Sometimes I steal, but I didn't have to in that game.

I only needed to research 13 techs to get a Spaceship win.

Usually my research path in the Modern Times is different because I often get Rocketry as the freebie. But, even then, I try to get away with only researching:

Space Flight
Superconductor or Satellites
Synthetic Fibers
At most, two of Fission, Computers, Nuclear Power, and The Laser

Bottom line, you *need* the AI to do your research for you. In my experience, the higher the level, the more helpful the AI is in this regard.

The only thing that makes Deity so hard to beat is the huge advantage it gets in building Wonders. Those 400 shield Wonders only cost 240 to the AI under Deity.

- TT

Last edited by ToeTruck; July 3, 2003 at 21:40.
Old July 3, 2003, 22:41   #21
Killazer
Warlord

diety isnt hard if warmonger......
key to winning diety and other levels easily is to militarily wipe out 1 or 2 civs close to you early in the game (ancient-late medieval/early industrial). After that you can pretty much dominate the whole game. Trading and keeping in contact with other civs is a BIG part of the game, especially in high diff levels. When you war with others you have to make some military alliances against them or give other civs stuff to keep them neutral. Otherwise, they may join the fight against you and you can end up in an all AI civs Vs you situation- which isnt very good in diety.
Killazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2003, 22:57   #22
ToeTruck
Warlord

Killazer,

You mean when playing with just one city?

I've played a couple of OCC games under Monarch trying for a Conquest victory. And...it is wicked hard.

An Archer rush is conceivable, but very difficult.

- TT
Old July 3, 2003, 23:59   #23
vmxa1
Deity

Nay he did not notice you were talking about OCC games here. I can not image trying to attack another civ at deity in an OCC game. What good would it do you if you pulled it off? You can not make another city any tech they had you could have traded for. Anyway it is much harder to do in PTW than before.
Old July 4, 2003, 00:21   #24
ToeTruck
Warlord

Yea, you're right vmxa1, an OCC Conquest Victory at Deity is nigh impossible. At least I can't conceive of it being done.

At Monarch, though, or Regent...it might be done. I'd have to think a bit before trying again.

Any ideas anyone?

How would you go about achieving a Conquest Victory at the lower levels while playing under the OCC rules?

(that's just one city folks)

I think it's doable, but I'm not sure how.

- TT
Old July 4, 2003, 02:34   #25
vmxa1
Deity

I guess you would need a tiny or small map. Would you be allowed to disband a city that flipped to you?
Mostly land and minimum water. No killer AI's could be allowed to develop.
Old July 4, 2003, 06:25   #26
Killazer
Warlord

Why would you want to play with 1 city? lol. Anyway, ya I an imagine a conquest victory being fairly difficult then lol
Killazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2003, 17:09   #27
vmxa1
Deity

It is just a way to give you another challenge.
Often a good strategy game requires player to set artifical restraints to make it fresh.
Moo2 is such a game where players make up all sorts of limits to get another reason to fire up another game.
Old July 5, 2003, 15:36   #28
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Nay he did not notice you were talking about OCC games here. I can not image trying to attack another civ at deity in an OCC game. What good would it do you if you pulled it off? You can not make another city any tech they had you could have traded for. Anyway it is much harder to do in PTW than before.

hi ,

a guy did it at cfc , ..... a couple months ago , .....

on a 180 x 180 map , the rest of tyhe detail are gone from my memory , ......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2003, 17:02   #29
DaveMcW
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ToeTruck At Monarch, though, or Regent...it might be done. I'd have to think a bit before trying again.

Any ideas anyone?

How would you go about achieving a Conquest Victory at the lower levels while playing under the OCC rules?

(that's just one city folks)

I think it's doable, but I'm not sure how.

- TT
I could have had a Conquest Victory in AU 302 (Regent OCC) but I went for Histographic instead.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...40#post1932140
DaveMcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2003, 20:02   #30
ToeTruck
Warlord

DaveMcW,

I saw your post when playing AU302 and was mighty impressed then. I re-read that post again just now and remain impressed. Good job.

Do you think the strategy you used in AU302 could be expanded to apply to a standard game?

What would you look for in a starting position?

Would an Archer rush suffice if the starting position didn't have Iron?

I think I might replay AU302 as Persia to see if I can reproduce your victory. Thanks for the post.

Again, good job. That's the one an only Conquest/Histograph Victory in OCC I've ever seen...at any level.

-TT