Old July 1, 2003, 14:40   #31
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

I disagree, in this artificial world we have great strains put upon us which aren't natural...antidepressants act as the great equaliser for me, and propranolol keeps my anxiety at bay. I can get on with stuff and make plans now...

I can only speak from personal experience. Perhaps I shouldn't have made such generalizations about medication as everyone is different. However, I really believe that treating the symptom (depression, anxiety) instead of the cause (poor self image, low self-esteem, etc) cannot do anyone good in the long run. Using medication is sort of like making all your purchases on credit and paying only the minmum due every month. The bill runs up month after month compounded with interest and pretty soon you've got a debt that you can't pay without major help. And what price are you paying in terms of side effects of these drugs? Most of them are so new it's impossible to tell...

Maybe if you're taking therapy concurrently with meds and are committed to that therapy then things would turn out differently. I never found therapy useful.
Old July 1, 2003, 14:49   #32
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:52
The thing is though Feephi that with the depression and anxiety, I had no way of combatting the self esteem problems...everything I tried to do seemed like it was destined to fail...at least I can have some optimism about sorting stuff out, even if I am still rather cynical all in all...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 1, 2003, 15:01   #33
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Aivo½so

I agree with Provost about the unnatural strains bit though.
Understand something. You (and no one else) choose (there are always multiple ways of interpretation) the meaning of the "unnatural strains" as they relate to your existence. You choose for yourself the role of champion, freedom fighter, or loser. Choose to spin things positively. Stay positive and optimistic at all costs. It's hard at first if you're not used to it, but it gets easier with practice.

Got a book for you to read: "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen. This will help you gain the proper perspective on "unnatural strains".
Old July 1, 2003, 15:32   #34
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
The thing is though Feephi that with the depression and anxiety, I had no way of combatting the self esteem problems...everything I tried to do seemed like it was destined to fail...at least I can have some optimism about sorting stuff out, even if I am still rather cynical all in all...
I understand it's not easy to face your demons without meds. I want to caution others against using meds the way I did. I spent a decade using meds as a crutch and not dealing with the source of my pain. There are doctors who will be happy to let you do that. Sounds like you function better on these drugs than I did. That's great, but realize that drugs are only a short-term solution. While your mood is elevated, really use that opportunity to look inward and work at the roots of your problems. I once had a doctor tell me I would need to be on depression meds the rest of my life. I'm glad I didn't listen to him. You don't want to be on those drugs forever. Sure, they bring some optimism, but your experience of life is through a filter. One day, when you are drug-free you'll see what I mean.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:32   #35
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi

Understand something. You (and no one else) choose (there are always multiple ways of interpretation) the meaning of the "unnatural strains" as they relate to your existence. You choose for yourself the role of champion, freedom fighter, or loser. Choose to spin things positively. Stay positive and optimistic at all costs. It's hard at first if you're not used to it, but it gets easier with practice.

Got a book for you to read: "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen. This will help you gain the proper perspective on "unnatural strains".
For you, maybe. I've tried all of the counselling and therapy, but I just found it impossible to put into practice...it's very easy to say things but to try and convince yourself of these things is very difficult. Remember, it is neurochemical and is something that I have battled with without help for many, many years and if this helps me turn the corner, well so be it...
Old July 5, 2003, 03:31   #36
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 04:52
I just see little pink Christina Aguilera monsters everywhere. Have you tried Focusin?
Old July 5, 2003, 03:38   #37
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Feephi, dear heart, when discussing psychological health it's worth bearing in mind that what was true for you is not necessarily true for others.