Old July 1, 2003, 13:23   #1
Sailor45
Settler

Local Time: 04:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Future Technology
Is there any point to researching the Future Technologies? Do I gain anything more? I did have the science funding WAY up there, but after nothing new popped in the box (asking 'What do you want to reseach now?') I brought this back down.
Old July 1, 2003, 13:31   #2
Elephant
Prince

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Each Future Tech adds 5 points to your final score.
Old July 1, 2003, 14:00   #3
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

If you're researching future tech while waiting for the spaceship to land, you might be better off jacking up the tax rate and buying AI cities... large cities will probably do more for your score than future techs will.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old July 10, 2003, 16:41   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

And peace will do wonders for your final score

aim for world peace
Old July 10, 2003, 17:01   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Just be careful that you don't get too many future techs since it resets to 1 after 254 or 255 ( I forget which).
Old July 10, 2003, 17:20   #6
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
If you're researching future tech while waiting for the spaceship to land, you might be better off jacking up the tax rate and buying AI cities... large cities will probably do more for your score than future techs will.
You mean that lone size 2 city that you left standing couse you wanted to build a spaceship?
Old July 10, 2003, 17:25   #7
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa

You mean that lone size 2 city that you left standing couse you wanted to build a spaceship?

That you've got surrounded with enough troops to win WWII. and their best unit is a musket. That one is always my favorite.
Old July 10, 2003, 19:56   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

rah- but just how often does someone get over 244 future techs I've never gotten past 11
Old July 11, 2003, 00:46   #9
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:53
when sci is rolling , the techs come fast and furious
Old July 11, 2003, 08:07   #10
duke o' york
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
To be honest, although it can be quite difficult to harness all of the science potential to get all the FTs before the end of the game, it is definitely possible, and should be little more than a formality if you have already set your empire up to delivering you a tech a turn in the late game. You will need many many trucks to get all of the beakers, but this ought not be a problem if you are already at a point where you can begin thinking about FTs. Something that makes it very very easy indeed to get to FT 244 is that the beaker cost per tech resets itself to the basic after FT 123. So FT 124 will costs you 10 beakers, the same as Alphabet or whatever the first tech you researched was. This means that you can rake in a ton of FTs in the single turn you discover FT 123 - I had about 80 or so in one go with an enormous caravan bonus, a small city to top it off at the beginning of the next turn (see more details on this in other threads) and then a turn of full science from all my cities.
I have to admit that I did stop the FT research at 240 because I was scared that it might revert to FT 1 and I'd lose all the lovely points.
It is a nice challenge to set yourself, but even with all the FTs, I still didn't get near the massive high scores that others have achieved.
Old July 11, 2003, 08:41   #11
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
To be honest, although it can be quite difficult to harness all of the science potential to get all the FTs before the end of the game, it is definitely possible, and should be little more than a formality if you have already set your empire up to delivering you a tech a turn in the late game.
Not difficult at all. But you have to want to do it. In all of our points challanges, we were shutting down all science well before the end of the game. With over 200 cities, it isn't hard. And by that point in the game, all your caravans are FOOD caravans that you're using to boost your pop for the finish. Brain numbing tedious pain. Not recommended, but it's not at all difficult.
Old July 11, 2003, 08:53   #12
duke o' york
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
I have to say that you're right.

It is easy to do, but I didn't want people to think I was some jumped-up newbie who goes around declaring Civ 2 to be too easy. I have made many posts at CFC, but that was only my second here (I can remember) and I didn't want to put the wind up anyone.

OK, as I said, if you have set up the infrastructure to get one tech a turn (or even one every two), then it becomes very easy to get all the FTs provided you have enough time left.

While I'm here, hello to Smash, O&S, Ming and any others who used to visit CFC in my day.
Old July 11, 2003, 09:49   #13
rah
lifer
Just another peon

After all these years, it's ok to say it's too easy.
But I'm still amazed at what people are still learning about the game. Talk about overkill, but some of the stuff has been real useful in MP. You should try your hand with the MP group here. We're always looking for more players, and if they're that experienced, even better. You should check out the MP forum here.
Old July 11, 2003, 09:50   #14
Old n Slow
Prince

"used to..."

"in my day..."

Duke, is there a hidden message here?
Old July 11, 2003, 10:09   #15
rah
lifer
Just another peon

A person named "Old n Slow" should be very familiar with those terms.
Old July 12, 2003, 03:14   #16
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by duke o' york
While I'm here, hello to Smash, O&S, Ming and any others who used to visit CFC in my day.
Hello back...

Future techs was just another way to rack up the records. But rah is right, population was a better way to do it. you can max out the future techs, and then shut science down while concentrating on pop.
Old July 12, 2003, 21:30   #17
rah
lifer
Just another peon

And the while not paying attention, you left one scientist active and eventually it rolls back to one.
Argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.