Old July 1, 2003, 15:23   #1
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm in Oxford - for 5 weeks, what are the best things to do?
I arrived last Sunday and I'm staying at Oriel College as part of a Study Abroad deal. We (about 40 students) have classes until 4:30 and after that we're free to do whatever. Any suggestions for Oxford, London, or Edinburgh?

I don't understand why everything closes at five...
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old July 1, 2003, 15:24   #2
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Get the train to the nearest place where anything interesting is happening.
Old July 1, 2003, 15:28   #3
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Flee! Quickly! Before the legions of Pimms&Lemonade drinking blazer wearers get you!
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old July 1, 2003, 15:28   #4
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Oxford in summer? I hope you weren't hoping to meet students because they are all at home...you're just surrounded by boredom, old buildings and hordes of tourists...I don't envy you

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 1, 2003, 15:36   #5
mactbone
Prince

You must not have got the part where I said I'm studying here...
Purdue offers a program where we go over here, live in the dorms and take two classes. I'm taking a Middle Earth class and a Business Writing one.

We had a Pimms reception just last night... very interesting drink.

Instead of telling me what a mistake this is, tell me where to go and what to do. Well, that's just a suggestion...
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old July 1, 2003, 15:53   #6
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Get the train to London, get pissed, and get the last train back at 00:20.
Old July 1, 2003, 16:19   #7
Provost Harrison
Deity

Do not diss the mighty Pimms and Lemonade

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 1, 2003, 16:20   #8
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
Get the train to London, get pissed, and get the last train back at 00:20.
Get pissed in London?!
Old July 1, 2003, 16:23   #9
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
meet up with Prov and me!
Old July 1, 2003, 16:25   #10
Provost Harrison
Deity

Now Andy is right, we shall both be there next month on the 'Provost and Andy Grand Tour of England'

Old July 1, 2003, 16:28   #11
Ecthy
Emperor

looking forward to it

and now you consider it's all ebcause Azazel is there... what a larf!
Old July 1, 2003, 16:30   #12
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 21:54
When I was there we went clubbing. The clubs were good but you have to dress up much more then in the US and the drinks cost an arm and a leg. We ended up meeting a 60 year old parting guy named Nigel who was kind enough to show us around and took us to all of the cool clubs.

The people were really friendly but the girls seemed much more difficult to approach and people dance rather bazaarly. I mean they didn't dance together instead they all stood facing the DJ and did there own little trance dance which consisted of holding there arms close to their bodies and swaying back and forth on each foot. Rather strange really...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 1, 2003, 16:38   #13
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 04:54
As EiF says, but get the bus (Xsomething) as it is there all night, and its quick and easy.

If you want to go out, try walking up Walton Street (I think, the one parallel to the Woodstock Road, go west from the west end of Broad Street). Tried that when I was there for a few days and found most of the pubs and (the very few) clubs were there.

The point Provost was trying to make is that term tiem has ended for Oxford. All the Oxford stidents went home a couple of weeks ago. Much of the entertainment in Oxford is provided by the colleges in term time, and so it is pretty dead out of term time.

Try looking at http://www.itchyoxford.co.uk/ or http://www.knowhere.co.uk/578_goingout.html for ideas. Something like The perfect weekend in Oxford might be useful.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old July 1, 2003, 16:40   #14
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
took us to all of the cool clubs.
Which ones? I haven't been up there that much, and some inside info would be nice

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old July 1, 2003, 19:19   #15
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

There are cool clubs in London?
Old July 1, 2003, 19:23   #16
Paul Hanson
King

Do a Masters degree in Media Studies. With any luck you'll still have a week or so left to take in the sights.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old July 1, 2003, 19:24   #17
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Old July 1, 2003, 19:27   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Which ones? I haven't been up there that much, and some inside info would be nice
I'm trying to remember but it was 3 years ago and I was on my way back from Kosovo (were were going through RAF Mildenhall) so as soon as we made it back to civilization my friends and I proceeded to get totally blitzed.

I can remember one of my friends not being allowed into one of the clubs because he was wearing jeans which rarely happens in the US (but is becoming more common). I can getting a taxi and having him drop us off on the main drag and then stopping at a couple of pubs from some food & drinks (Samuel Smith's is ) and then we ended up in a really big two story club where you had to go in through the back door and everyone was dancing to trace music. I was drinking Scotch on the rocks so I don't remember to much more.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 1, 2003, 19:33   #19
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Chandos! Rawk!
Old July 1, 2003, 19:37   #20
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
I'm taking a Middle Earth class
A Tolkien class?

Or did you mean Middle English?
Old July 1, 2003, 19:40   #21
Ecthy
Emperor

Old July 1, 2003, 19:43   #22
Oerdin
Deity

"Class there will be a test on monday about the geneology of Frodo and the entire Baggins clan."

Old July 1, 2003, 19:47   #23
Paul Hanson
King

"Sorry I'm late, I overslept".

"Ah ah ah, in Elvish".

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old July 1, 2003, 19:52   #24
lightblue
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
Flee! Quickly! Before the legions of Pimms&Lemonade drinking blazer wearers get you!
Oy!! I resent that...

I think I look rather fetching in my white blazer with black/gold/cambridge blue trim, and the club insignia on my pocket. And luckily for me, so do the girls... Boatie cocktail parties kick arse

As for Oxford, depending on your usual interests and what college you're at, you might want to try your hand at rowing. I am coaching a bunch of US summer students for a couple of weeks in a weeks time in Cambridge (not sure where they're from yet), seems like that happens every year.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old July 2, 2003, 12:39   #25
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lightblue

Oy!! I resent that...

I think I look rather fetching in my white blazer with black/gold/cambridge blue trim, and the club insignia on my pocket. And luckily for me, so do the girls... Boatie cocktail parties kick arse

As for Oxford, depending on your usual interests and what college you're at, you might want to try your hand at rowing. I am coaching a bunch of US summer students for a couple of weeks in a weeks time in Cambridge (not sure where they're from yet), seems like that happens every year.
Well Oxford's clubs are sh*t...the only one perhaps worthy of consideration is The Zodiac on Cowley Road.

That blazer thing...ewwww...do you wear rugby tops and college trackie bottoms as well?
Old July 2, 2003, 12:57   #26
gunkulator
Prince

Um, how about taking the oppurtunity to read their world famous dictionary?
Old July 2, 2003, 13:15   #27
lightblue
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
That blazer thing...ewwww...do you wear rugby tops and college trackie bottoms as well?
Nope Longsleeved T shirts though... And got the cufflinks, bowtie and tie in team colors. Yeah I know...

It is all part of the boatie culture though, just look at the Stewards Enclosure at Henley this weekend.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old July 2, 2003, 13:26   #28
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by lightblue

Nope Longsleeved T shirts though... And got the cufflinks, bowtie and tie in team colors. Yeah I know...

It is all part of the boatie culture though, just look at the Stewards Enclosure at Henley this weekend.
I had noticed the 'boatie culture' and the rugby one...quite repulsive really
Old July 2, 2003, 14:09   #29
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

As well as what Drogue said, check out:

http://www.thezodiac.co.uk/

http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/

There's a pub in Walton St called 'The Jericho'. You need student ID to buy one of their 'Yellow Cards' (cost 1 pound). Every Thursday night they have "Pound a Pint" night and the yellow card lets you buy pints for a pound (there may be other special offers too). It can be pretty crowded.
Old July 2, 2003, 14:18   #30
lightblue
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I had noticed the 'boatie culture' and the rugby one...quite repulsive really
Once again, I resent that!! Boaties != ruggerbuggers. For a start female rowers >>> female rugby players, which in turn makes the socials a lot more fun

I admit a lot of boaties adhere to a certain stereotype (tall, athletic, upper middle class, loud, hard drinking). We play hard and we party hard. It takes a certain kind of person to get up at 5.30am 5 times a week to train before breakfast, and the shared pain forms quite tightknit groups across colleges and clubs. This also means it is fairly hard for "outsiders" to get in if they haven't rowed much.

In a way I suppose the boatie/rugby/hockey/cricket culture in Oxbridge is similar to certain fraternities at US colleges.

Anyway, rowing and boatiehood has made an enormous positive change in my life over the last year in terms of both physical fitness (2" off my waist, down to 9% body fat whilst only losing about 2kgs), my self confidence and in the acquisition of a number of people i can see being friends for life. I'd recommend it to anyone who asks me my opinion of it (although to get above a certain level a certain physical build is required).

Last edited by lightblue; July 2, 2003 at 14:49.