Old July 2, 2003, 17:17   #31
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Good news! Congrats CANADAAAAAA! I'm expecting a great hockey battles... My mom lives in Portland, so who knows, maybe I'll visit her and use it as an excuse to check out the Olympics.. I've never been in Olympics and always wanted to. So congrats Canada and congrats Vancouver.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 2, 2003, 17:25   #32
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Jealous jealous jealous.

Not really. Good on Vancouver, I think they'll make a good job of it.

I was against the Toronto summer games bid for the simple reason that corrupt local officials would turn it into an economic disaster. Hopefully, Vancouver has better luck.
Old July 2, 2003, 17:31   #33
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
Congrats, Vancouver. I said they'd win the day they entered - and I'll be back in my city of birth come 2010 to party with y'all!!!
Ah... now it fits.

Revelations 4:41

"Lo, fire shall bench forth from the pit,
and the enemy of man shall come forth
Unholy dread shall cover the land.
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
because he knows the time is come.
And the beast shall be crowned with fire,
and serpents shall erupt from his breast,
and he will sire a race of demons upon unwilling virgins
and his number shall be six hundred threescore and six
Then the Lord shall say, "Behold, it is done."
And this shall occur in the city of Vancouver."

Old July 2, 2003, 17:33   #34
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 04:57
Unwilling virgins? I didn't know they were 14, and they f*cking well shouldn't have been dressed up in such teeny Canada day atire. I mean WHAT THE F*CK ELSE are you supposed to do at Princess Island Park???
Old July 2, 2003, 17:40   #35
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Unwilling virgins? I didn't know they were 14, and they f*cking well shouldn't have been dressed up in such teeny Canada day atire. I mean WHAT THE F*CK ELSE are you supposed to do at Princess Island Park???
See, I told you it was true.
Old July 2, 2003, 17:41   #36
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

What's the wink mean? This whole "jailbait thing" is a serious problem in my life, right now
Old July 2, 2003, 17:44   #37
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
What's the wink mean? This whole "jailbait thing" is a serious problem in my life, right now
I would think the "being the Son of Satan" and "Apocalypse" things would rank a bit higher.

But hell, it's your life.
Old July 2, 2003, 17:54   #38
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 21:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ag, if any fires 'bench' forth, the rain can put them out.

The Koreans thought they had it in the bag. The first round vote result was Korea 51 Canada 40 Austria 16.
Old July 2, 2003, 18:05   #39
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:57
Sports? Yawn.
Old July 2, 2003, 18:07   #40
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:57
I was a little surprised at the first round result since Canada was supposed to be the front-runner. I wonder how the break-down went . . ie did Korea get mainly votes from Asian delegates etc ??

I was also surprised that Korea would be so strongly considered considering

* threats from N Korea
* had the Seoul OLympics not THAT long ago and just had the World Cup
Old July 2, 2003, 19:43   #41
Fve Crathva
Warlord

Hopefully this means that they'll wash Vancouver a bit. Damn, but that's a dirty city.

SP
Old July 2, 2003, 20:36   #42
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

They said on the news that half the Olympic delegates come from Europe. Because they like to spread the Olympics around it is alleged that many European votes will go to other region's Winter Olympic bids. That way they are better positioned to receive the summer games.

The Vancouver result means Toronto's 2012 bid is dead in the water . Even NY's bid is less likely to win.

Like Flubber, I still don't understand why S. Korea did so well. If the theory is that the relative closeness of 2002 Salt Lake hurt Vancouver, why didn't the Beijing summer games hurt S. Korea?
Old July 2, 2003, 23:05   #43
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Fve Crathva
Hopefully this means that they'll wash Vancouver a bit. Damn, but that's a dirty city.

SP
You mean the rain isn't enough?

Good news though. Go Vancouver

Old July 3, 2003, 00:50   #44
Fve Crathva
Warlord

I'm honestly shocked that the rain doesn't wash away the crap. My theory is that it does the carbonic acid thing while it's falling, and then melts the buildings, which adds to the dirt.

SP
Old July 3, 2003, 12:37   #45
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 22:57
Quote:
Originally posted by RedFred

The Vancouver result means Toronto's 2012 bid is dead in the water . Even NY's bid is less likely to win.

Like Flubber, I still don't understand why S. Korea did so well. If the theory is that the relative closeness of 2002 Salt Lake hurt Vancouver, why didn't the Beijing summer games hurt S. Korea?
I understand that Toronto will not be bidding now. Realistically, Canada cannot expect to host consecutive games.

The regional aspect of the games is always a bit interesting. The winter games is so limited by climate considerations but then again, the summer games have been pretty much limited to 3 continents too.

According to the Globe and Mail, Canada got ZERO votes from Asian, Latin American and African nations ( I am curious why these countries would get votes for a WINTER games ) so the vote broke down on developmental lines-- Europe voted for Canada ( cynics say to help derail the New York 2012 summer bid in favor of bids from London and Paris.)

The politics is doubly interesting as I inderstand that the Korean host city has very few of the needed facilities and also has a population of only 47,000. The Koreans also dangled possible reunification with the north as part of their presentation-- they had a heartwrenching clip of a mother that has not seen her son since the division of the country.

Just out of interest, I looked at past games and including future games, the score is Europe 13, North America 6, Asia 2 -- for winter games

On a country basis it looks like US (4), France (3) and Switzerland, Norway, Italy, Austria, japan and Canada with 2. This will leave only germany and Yugoslavia as having hosted only a single winter games.
Old July 3, 2003, 20:33   #46
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Europe voted for Canada ( cynics say to help derail the New York 2012 summer bid in favor of bids from London and Paris.)
They better not give the 2012 games to London or Paris. Both cities have already hosted the Olympics, twice.
Old July 3, 2003, 22:19   #47
Loif
Settler

Way to go Vancouver! I'll be there!
Old July 3, 2003, 23:50   #48
The Vagabond
Prince

The French vote in Vancouver's favor was definitely a fraud. Besides, they fraudulently "convinced" a couple of their African clients to vote for Vancouver. If these votes are excluded as they should be, the IOC has no choice but to give the games to two cities simultaneously: Vancouver and Pyeongchang. Well, to do it right, Vancouver should be completely excluded. But, hell, it has been already announced, and the people of Vancouver are not guilty of the fraud. So to give it to both cities would be a resonable and humane compromise. After all, precedent already exists.

Quote:
Europe voted for Canada ( cynics say to help derail the New York 2012 summer bid in favor of bids from London and Paris.)
Of course, Canada will now vote for Paris.

P.S. Congrats, Vancouver Prepare your ass to be kicked in hockey.
Old July 3, 2003, 23:52   #49
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 23:57
Quote:
The politics is doubly interesting as I inderstand that the Korean host city has very few of the needed facilities and also has a population of only 47,000.
nobody knows better how to throw money away on sports facilities like the asians.
world cup 2002... did we need that many venues? no. but we built them anyway!
with govenrment money, no less. so pyeongchang would have gotten the facilities, no matter what.

Quote:
The Koreans also dangled possible reunification with the north as part of their presentation-- they had a heartwrenching clip of a mother that has not seen her son since the division of the country.
shameless manipulation. almost worked.
Old July 3, 2003, 23:57   #50
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
According to the Globe and Mail, Canada got ZERO votes from Asian, Latin American and African nations ( I am curious why these countries would get votes for a WINTER games ) so the vote broke down on developmental lines-- Europe voted for Canada ( cynics say to help derail the New York 2012 summer bid in favor of bids from London and Paris.)
You don't think a number of these countries have winter sports? It seems that Siberia is quite cold sometimes. Besides, doesn't Jamaica got a bobsled team?
Old July 4, 2003, 00:52   #51
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
They better not give the 2012 games to London or Paris. Both cities have already hosted the Olympics, twice.
That's a bit harsh. It's probably more to do with the IOC seemingly looking down on bids from British and French cities outside of their capitals (see Manchester's bids in the recent past)...

Fairer comparison; Britain last hosted the Games in 1948, France in 1924! Since Britain last hosted the Games the USA has hosted two summer Games and three winter Games, whilst by the time 2012 comes around "North America" (ie USA and Canada) will have hosted three summer games and five winter games!
Old July 4, 2003, 01:04   #52
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
I don't trust the Globe on this one. Wasn't it a secret ballot? Certainly China for one was publicly supporting the Vancouver bid.

It is nice that they allow Africa and Latin America to compete in the Winter games when they have no winter. Nevertheless, it doesn't seem reasonable to me, either, that their votes carry so much weight.
Old July 4, 2003, 04:53   #53
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
It's probably more to do with the IOC seemingly looking down on bids from British and French cities outside of their capitals (see Manchester's bids in the recent past)...
I have no problem with seeing Manchester have the Olympics. I just don't want to see London or Paris get a third crack at the games when New York hasn't had them once. Let's try to spread the wealth a little bit.
Old July 4, 2003, 09:43   #54
optimus2861
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond
The French vote in Vancouver's favor was definitely a fraud. Besides, they fraudulently "convinced" a couple of their African clients to vote for Vancouver. If these votes are excluded as they should be, the IOC has no choice but to give the games to two cities simultaneously: Vancouver and Pyeongchang. Well, to do it right, Vancouver should be completely excluded. But, hell, it has been already announced, and the people of Vancouver are not guilty of the fraud. So to give it to both cities would be a resonable and humane compromise. After all, precedent already exists.
Sarcasm or bitterness?
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old July 4, 2003, 11:29   #55
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
I have no problem with seeing Manchester have the Olympics. I just don't want to see London or Paris get a third crack at the games when New York hasn't had them once. Let's try to spread the wealth a little bit.
I think it's a little unfair to deprive, say, modern-day Parisians of the chance to hold the Games simply because they held them back in 1924, before 99% of them were even born.

As for Manchester, the IOC has made it implicitly clear that any British games would have to be held in London. I imagine a similar view of France/Paris holds sway as well. As far as Britain goes, it's London or bust.
Old July 4, 2003, 15:46   #56
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I think it's a little unfair to deprive, say, modern-day Parisians of the chance to hold the Games simply because they held them back in 1924, before 99% of them were even born.
Why? No citizen has a right to see the Olympic Games in their city. Who cares if modern Parisians have never had a game in Paris in their lifetime when many other great cities around the world have never had the games at all? I personally think they should make cities wait at least a century between Olympics, thereby ensuring that as many cities as possible get the games.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:40   #57
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

I'm surprised Pyeongchang got as many votes as it did. I translated a letter from a provincial minister of education to be sent to the president of the IOC and I couldn't stop gagging all the way through. It was actually a bit disturbing because this guy thought that with the Olympics in Korea there was going to be instant peace on the peninsula and from there the "peaceful spirit of the Korean people" would spread across the Eurasian continent (via the newly connected railroad between North and South Korea) and bring prosperity to everyone. He also said he is praying to God to let the Olympics be held in Korea. God has a vote?

I live near Pyeongchang and I can tell you I was certainly glad when they lost. The World Cup games turned everyone into raving nationalists and foreigners were often cursed at and shouted at in the streets and bars. Not everywhere, of course, but I experienced it myself enough. I stayed inside a lot during the games. I wouldn't want to go through it again.

This province is one of the last clean places in the country and having the Olympics here would turn it into a trashpit like so many other tourist areas. Developers! Please stay away!

This concludes my rant.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:10   #58
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I wonder if that part of S. Korea has enough vertical for a decent downhill run. I am looking at a topo map which suggests otherwise. I know it was a big problem at the Lake Placid games.

It makes no sense that the summer games must be held in London if in the UK or Paris if in France. Why not someplace else? The US or Canada don't face the same restrictions. Although in the days of the Montreal Olympics iirc both Montreal and Toronto were approximately equal in populations.
Old July 9, 2003, 13:27   #59
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 23:57
Quote:
I wonder if that part of S. Korea has enough vertical for a decent downhill run. I am looking at a topo map which suggests otherwise. I know it was a big problem at the Lake Placid games.
maybe not there, but there are enough mountains there to make something. that's why most of the population is crammed into the western coastal plain--bad news if the sea level rises.