Old July 9, 2003, 18:32   #181
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike

God no!! Can you imagine the length of protests if he was banned for whining about being banned? We'd never hear the end of it.
Ming's magical banning rod has the Level 7 spell "Permanency" cast on it, so he's unlikely to run out of ammo.
Old July 9, 2003, 18:44   #182
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 23:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
I am not wrong though in asking for better treatment than random restrictions, without being warned or been alerted of the rules.
It wasn't "random"... you broke the rules. It says clearly that your actions WOULDN NOT BE TOLERATED.
All you had to do was look... but you didn't.

Quote:
Obviously stating the rules won't get anybody's attention if you state it on a page that no one ever visits.
Hmmmmm... THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. you were too lazy to check the rules. It's your own fault.

Quote:
After I had posted my file, and forgot about it, I had no reason what so ever to visit the pages and see what the current rules for posting files are.
Again... it was your mistake not to look. Do you need somebody in life to guide you around and tell you what to do?

Quote:
Had the rule changes been published site wide, just like new 'chat' features or something, I might have remembered I was hosting a file. In any case, it would have been more civil than this.
AGAIN... you expect somebody else to make up for your ignorance. And again, you are abusing the owners by saying they are uncivil. You are the rules breaker, but they are not civil... get a grip. Do you think policeman should hand out ice cream when they arrest people.

Quote:
I'm blaming them for not taking steps to ensure people were aware of the new regulations, and having no warning mechanism, or explaining the reasons for the ban.
More whining... you just don't give up. Blaming somebody else for your own ignorance and mistake... get real...

Quote:
not until ming admits it would have been better to either publish the changes to the faq (in a place besides the faq, duh!) or send warnings
Won't happen... they clearly stated the rules. It is up to you to follow them. They had already restricted one bunch, and were tired of people ignoring the rules... so they enforced them again. It's not their fault you are too lazy to check out the rules. It's yours.

Quote:
I'm sure you don't know ALL the rules in your country, and you don't bother to check the rules book every 2 months.
No... I don't... but I won't whine about it and blame them because of my mistake. If I violate a law I'm not familiar with, I will pay the price and not whine like a child how unfair it all it is. And then I would make sure it didn't happen again to me. Ignorance is no excuse.

Quote:
Since here 'the press' constitutes the news feature and the announcements feature, and neither was used to alert people of harshened rules.
Uhhhh... the stated rules in the FAQ serve that purpose... next time, maybe you should read them. That where the rules are.

Quote:
It's terribly funny that you claim that I didn't bother to read an announcement about the rules, when the only place it was published in is the Upload FAQ, and I had no reason to visit it AFTER I had hosted my file.
Funny... yeah... it's funny that you are whining because you didn't bother to keep up with the rules of the site. It's not all that hard.... click on FAQ and read.

Quote:
And when I did put my file, it was not clear it was illegal and what consequences would follow.
But it was made very clear after the fact... and you didn't look.

Quote:
IIRC there was even someone suggesting to put large pics of oneself for the pictures thread, in the upload section. That certainly means at the time there was a broad definition of 'forum related files' and not only 'site related files'.
No... it meant that "someone" didn't understand.

Quote:
Furthermore, the upload feature seemed to be similar to the 'notepad feature' which was promoted by markg to "put ideas or future posts in".
Now you are making an assumption... and you know what they say about people that do that.

So stop trying to make the owners look like the bad guys, when you are the one that screwed up. Stop your whining and apologize to the owners for your poor treatment of them.

If you don't like the rules of this site, you can go some place else... your choice. But if you want to stay... learn the rules and follow them... This is a PRIVATE site, and they can run it however they want. The rules are stated clearly... If you want to continue to insult the people that provide this free and wonderful site, find some place else to do it... Because it isn't welcome here.
Old July 9, 2003, 18:54   #183
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Siro

Poly may be a Fascist Dictatorship run by cruel and unforgiving tyrants - but at least you are free to leave any time you want with your hide intact, unlike some of history's more dolorous regimes.
Old July 9, 2003, 19:03   #184
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
If you want to continue to insult the people that provide this free and wonderful site
MARKOS IS A GEEK!!!

Sorry that should read, Markos is a Greek.

When's he getting out of the army anyway?
Old July 9, 2003, 21:20   #185
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 01:59
a year, i think
Old July 9, 2003, 21:50   #186
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
yes, he said he'll be away for 12 months. But as we all know, the Greek army is so cool that they let Markos came to visit us from time to time
Old July 9, 2003, 22:06   #187
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

I'm glad my country doesn't have compulsory military service. i'd spend the whole time in the hole or cleaning lavatories with my toothbrush.

I'm hopeless with authority.

Hey.... Siro's given up.
Old July 10, 2003, 02:28   #188
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Nah, he's just typing his multiple part message as it doesn't fit into one reply.
Old July 10, 2003, 06:53   #189
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 21:59
If he does keep whining, just ignore, he's not going to say anything important.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 10, 2003, 07:01   #190
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:59
Well, duh! Nobody ever says anything important in this forum.
Old July 10, 2003, 07:54   #191
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 21:59
Yeah, but he doesn't say anything important in the other forums either.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 10, 2003, 08:36   #192
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 22:59
Sirotnikov could have bowed out gracefully after making his point, thus avoiding some friendly (?) abuse. Ming could have bowed out gracefully after making his point, before his defense of "honor" began to look like a defense of himself.
Reading this thread has been like watching two large, furry, antlered mammals lock horns in a pointless struggle neither can extricate himself from.
That's Entertainment!
to both--rob
Old July 10, 2003, 10:11   #193
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Well, my two cents is that Siro has a point saying that he uploaded his file when it was not illegal and when the new rules that make it illegal came out he wasn't made aware of it because there's no announcement. However, one pitfall in his argument is that the first wave of bans has got quite extensive news coverage (although not as extensive as this one). So according to his own argument he should have been alerted by then and went ahead and checked if he had any illegal files. But he didn't.

Hopefully Siro has realized that this debate will not go anywhere even if he tries more and decided to drop it. For all debates it is wise to stop after your point is made.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 10, 2003, 10:33   #194
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 05:59
What I would like to know is this.

I am one of those Mini Mods (PEACE faction in the ACDG) but I can't now open new threads and I can't PM. I can post and I can edit my posts from time to time. I also can lock threads with private forum but I can't open a new thread.

I get a 'Network error while Netscape was receiving Data' Connection reset by peer' notice.

My question is this. Is this temporary because of a ban of some sort, or overload at poly, or a glitch in my PC. I am puzzled how I can post but not open new threads or PM people.

BTW this post is here because I can't open a new thread and I read about 12 people were banned and I thought, maybe I am one???. Assistance welcome.
Old July 10, 2003, 10:49   #195
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Well the 12 people ban was here and passed. So if you were one you should be ok now.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 10, 2003, 11:04   #196
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 05:59
Tried again. Still can't open new thread.
Old July 10, 2003, 11:11   #197
Snowflake
Princess

A third wave of partial ban ...

Doesn't sound like it too me. Must be something else. Have you tried PM Ming?

[edit] Sorry I forgot you couldn't PM either.

Grapefruit Garden

Last edited by Snowflake; July 10, 2003 at 12:02.
Old July 10, 2003, 11:12   #198
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:59
Have you tested it with another browser?
Old July 10, 2003, 11:38   #199
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Tried again. Still can't open new thread.
I would bet it's at your PC level, your id here is clear. and I've been doing all those things you said you can't so I'd try rebooting your machine.
Old July 10, 2003, 16:08   #200
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
Well, my two cents is that Siro has a point saying that he uploaded his file when it was not illegal and when the new rules that make it illegal came out he wasn't made aware of it because there's no announcement.
Of course there was no announcement after the rules changed: the rules never changed! Where does this curious idea come from that the rules changed?

As I already said in my previous post, the present rules already existed before the upload feature itself officially existed: Markos laid them out when the feature was still in beta. So unless they changed the rules and then changed them back again without telling me or updating the FAQ (which normally always lists any updates made), the rules have always been in place as they are today.

The way I see it, the situation is quite simply: a lot of people plain refuse the read (and understand) the rules before using the feature (not just in this case but in life in general ). If this causes them to get into trouble, that's their problem -- but if they're not happy with any of the consequences of their ignorance, they have only themselves to blame for that (and shouldn't bother others with it).
Old July 10, 2003, 16:12   #201
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Thanks Locutus... I didn't pay attention to the upload feature since I didn't use it, and never intended to... so I didn't know what MarkG had posted when it started.
I only read what was currently in the FAQ.

Needless to say... the rules didn't change then... so there is NO EXCUSE...
Old July 10, 2003, 16:18   #202
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

AMEN,
I hope that's the end of it.
Old July 10, 2003, 17:14   #203
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Hey maybe you should let him post 48 hours worth of stuff in 24 hours to make up for the lost time.

I can only imagine when he is old enough to have grandchildren and gets to relate this story to them...."Did I tell you about the day when I was banned on Poly." :P

------------------
There was this time...
At band camp....
When I posted an illegal file....
And I was banned.
Old July 10, 2003, 18:46   #204
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirotnikov
Quote:
There is a crackdown on this type of unwelcome activity
Very Effective.... if you want to chase users away from apolyton.

What about a nice friendly warning and a "get that file off in 48 hours or else" instead?

Most people either don't know about the regulations (that weren't as clear at first) or have forgotten about their files (like myself).

I see this 'punishment' as totally uncalled for and unjustified.

If I forget to return a library book, they usually call me up and remind me to do it. They don't put me in jail for a day.
i understand how frustrating this is People who say "well, it as only ONE day, get over it!".... it has nothing to do with the actual banning, its the frustartion one feels of being falsely banned or at least feeling like they were falsely banned.
Old July 10, 2003, 19:36   #205
Ming
lifer
Retired

But the point is... he was NOT falsely banned... And him "feeling" like "it was", is HIS problem... He is the one being uncivil... NOT the owners.
Old July 10, 2003, 22:59   #206
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

Of course there was no announcement after the rules changed: the rules never changed! Where does this curious idea come from that the rules changed?

As I already said in my previous post, the present rules already existed before the upload feature itself officially existed: Markos laid them out when the feature was still in beta. So unless they changed the rules and then changed them back again without telling me or updating the FAQ (which normally always lists any updates made), the rules have always been in place as they are today.
Oh, if that is the case, then Siro sure doesn't have any excuse!

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 10, 2003, 23:44   #207
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
But the point is... he was NOT falsely banned... And him "feeling" like "it was", is HIS problem... He is the one being uncivil... NOT the owners.
o...k... i never said either he or the owners were being uncivil. only thing i said is i understand how he feels and kinda explained why he feels that way, rational or not
Old July 10, 2003, 23:47   #208
Ming
lifer
Retired

I just don't understand how somebody can be so totally in the wrong, and feel they are the one being picked on

I guess it's just people not willing to accept responsibility for their actions, and looking for somebody else to blame for their mistakes
Old July 10, 2003, 23:56   #209
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
Shouldn't this thread be closed by now... it seems the same point has been argued fifteen times...
Old July 10, 2003, 23:59   #210
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
I guess it's just people not willing to accept responsibility for their actions, and looking for somebody else to blame for their mistakes
or maybe, perhaps, we should not immediately assume it has something to do with character flaws. maybe, just maybe there is a simple misunderstanding or miscommunication involved. but that explaination, tho equally valid and possible, doesnt make you seem high and mighty, does it...

Quote:
I just don't understand how somebody can be so totally in the wrong, and feel they are the one being picked on
it happens