Old July 3, 2003, 01:24   #1
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Palestinians demand Israel releases prisoners
The Palestinians demand that as a gesture Israeli releases large groups of prisoners it has accumulated during the Intifada and before it.

The total number of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel is quoted to be between 5 and 8 thousands. A large part of them are prisoners serving sentances for terrorist attacks, another part is awaiting trial and yet another part are the administrative prisoners, whom are not charged but are held on intelligence grounds.

Most of the administrative prisoners have been released so far naturally, and thus the discrepancy between the numbers of prisoners, since some bodies have larger numbers, and the military says those numbers are old, and most have been released.

Now, as for the palestinians, they demand that Israel releases key Hamas, Jihad and Fatah activists who became symbols of the "struggle". Ironically they are those who have most blood on their hands whether by direct actions (making the bombs, sending terrorists off, using firearms) or indirect actions (funding, organizing and administering terrorist activities).

This is causing major debate in Israel, as so far only light wieght prisoners have been released, and only 1 convicted terrorist murderor has been released - who has served 27 years (out of 3 life sentances + 70 years).

What do you think?

Is it moral or even legal, to release known arch-murderors to 'appease the palestinian street' (as the Palestinains claim)?

Is it moral to do so, when the Roadmap itself, demands that the Palestinians arrest terrorists and dismantles the terrorist organizations?

Is it moral to do so, in light of the fact, that most of the terrorists released in Israel in previous deals (1993-2000) have returned to terrorist bussiness and infact many of them killed much more people than before, and only made their way back to Israeli prisons?
Old July 3, 2003, 01:30   #2
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think it's a great idea, cuts down on overpopulation problems. I believe that within 50 years the world will be low on oil and at maximum sustainable population. Unless Bush finds an excuse to use nukes, in which case none of this matters.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 3, 2003, 01:50   #3
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 20:59
The problem is if you don't release them, the Palestinians scream you're not following the ****ing map, pull over and we'll drive. Then Hamas et al claim they have an excuse to blow off their "cease fire" etc. etc.

The solution is simple - next time around, don't take prisoners.
Old July 3, 2003, 02:00   #4
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
What ceasefire?

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/313954.html
Old July 3, 2003, 02:50   #5
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 20:59
Back to business as usual already?
Old July 3, 2003, 03:07   #6
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 21:59
Yep. If they keep killing Palestinians faster than they breed they'll eventually run out. Obviously this is not a renewable resource. Therefore they should stop killing Palestinians in order to let the resource replenish itself.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 3, 2003, 03:11   #7
Az
Emperor

It seems that most of the PA is following the agreement, and their leaders have vowed to fight anyone who'll resist them ( It's about time! ). Hamas is rather large, but has no chance against the PA, if they'll fight "for real". Ironically, the ones that are doing most of the "fighting" now, are elements of the Fatah.

I hope, I REALLY hope that the PA will start to crack down on them. Because if they won't, Israel will.
Old July 3, 2003, 03:33   #8
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Siro:And the pals are the only murderers there? Howabout you israelis, how many israelis are in prison for warcrimes, terror against civilians or as administrative prisoners? My guess is hardly any. Can't you smell your own bigotry?

- Paul Valery
Old July 3, 2003, 03:42   #9
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 05:59
Siro: in answer to your original question, I would guess it depends on level of conviction.

Holding suspects for intelligence reasons is a dead end. Let them go - holding onto them gains little.

A political leader without violent convictions - put them out on probation. Freedom... but with restrictions to report in every so often.

An activist convicted of attacking military targets... see if/how it helps to release them. These are the sticky areas... How do you know they won't do it again? You don't... but sometimes keeping them inside is an excuse for more violence on the outside.

A convicted activist with innocent blood on their hands - let them serve their sentence.

Every case - judge it on merit. Every case is different. Labelling them ALL as activists and throwing away the key isn't a smart move.

Lauentius - crap attempt at a threadjack. You want to start a new thread, go ahead.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 3, 2003, 03:49   #10
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Why would I want to start a new thread? There are already too many ME-threads. What I'm asking is why are there only palestinians in jails? If you want justice, be fair and punish israelies also. There are two sides in this, not just the terrorists and the good guys as far as I see it. It's really you whos threadjacking here.

- Paul Valery
Old July 3, 2003, 05:07   #11
Az
Emperor

There aren't only palestinians in Israeli jail. Israeli soldiers that are convicted of unlegal acts, are sitting in jail. There are no Israeli soldiers in palestian jails because the palestinians don't take prisoners.

keep on rolling, baby.
Old July 3, 2003, 05:15   #12
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 04:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
There aren't only palestinians in Israeli jail. Israeli soldiers that are convicted of unlegal acts, are sitting in jail. There are no Israeli soldiers in palestian jails because the palestinians don't take prisoners.

keep on rolling, baby.
smack the eurocom!
Old July 3, 2003, 05:21   #13
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

don't release the guys that had key positions. no other country would do that anyway

release the guantanamo style prisoners, that are arrested when wrong time wrong place, if there actually are any left, which I doubt given your introduction. can't imagine all 8,000 are really terrorists, though.

and even if they were in planning, though without any executive or command position: those guys awere easily influenced and talekd int osome trash. not all of them, but some might deserve a chance.

can't imagine you haven't been through these points anyway, though. so it really seems to be the question as to whether or not release key persons. that depends if there are political prisoners among them. those that are accused of being leaders when in reality they're just aligned in some way to those groups, which usually have more functions than terrorist attacks.
Old July 3, 2003, 05:52   #14
laurentius
King

eurocom, hehe
I see already that trying to discuss this with you wouldnt lead anywhere. Well, have it your way. It's really your problem after all, so why would I care anyway.

- Paul Valery
Old July 3, 2003, 06:36   #15
Sandman
King

If you want peace, you have to release them, unfortunately.
Old July 3, 2003, 07:14   #16
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

An Israeli was probably kidnapped and killed in Tul Karem.
Old July 3, 2003, 07:35   #17
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Couldn't these prisoners accidently "disappear"? Then you can say you did release them and they were clearly not your problem anymore
Old July 3, 2003, 07:54   #18
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 23:59
Why not demand a crackdown on militants by the PLO before you release the prisoners? Introduce some element of reciprocity into the matter.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 3, 2003, 09:15   #19
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 22:59
Do not release the prisoners that are directly linked to acts of terror. As you pointed out yourself, they will just go back to planning and carrying out acts of terror. Imagine releasing a terrorists, and then having a suicide attack that kills 10 or 20 people, and learning that the guy who was released was responsible.

For the safety of Israelis, you can't release such dangerous people.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old July 3, 2003, 09:54   #20
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
Siro:And the pals are the only murderers there?
Hmm...

Terrorist comes up to a bus station and opens fire on innocent by-standers. Terrorist attack equal to mass murder or murder one.

Soldier accidentally hurts/kills civilians during a fire-fight with militants who hide themselves among civilian population. The geneva convention says the responsability is on the terrorist side, and the soldiers are allowed to perform city combat.

The worse you could argue is causing death by recklessness.

Quote:
How about you israelis, how many israelis are in prison for warcrimes
How many Israelis have performed war crimes?
0-5 ?

Quote:
terror against civilians
if you mean harrassment against civilians, then there are quite alot. I don't know exact numbers but they are probably in the dozens.

A trial is going on for several months now for several members of a border guard brigade, that was recently dismantled because it was found to be promoting violence and abuse.

A trial recently began to another group of soldiers from a border guard and a Nahal brigade, against whom evidence amounted about abuse.

Quote:
or as administrative prisoners?
How many Israelis have been violently rioting, throwing stones or shooting randomly at people? None.

Quote:
My guess is hardly any. Can't you smell your own bigotry?
You compare soldiers who fight in difficult trapping conditions, to terrorists who create conditions with the intent to slaughter innocents on either side.

Your bigotry smells worse, and it's brown too
Old July 3, 2003, 09:58   #21
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
Why not demand a crackdown on militants by the PLO before you release the prisoners? Introduce some element of reciprocity into the matter.
They promise us a 3 month ceasefire instead, and say that they can't crackdown without poular support.

Funny thing is, they could do it several times in 2002 when Hamas was getting too much of an upper hand in the streets, and Fatah soldiers and Palestinian police shot Palestinian rioters protesting against Arafat, and killed a man or two, and wounded a good dozen.

Funny thing, most international networks only played 5 sec clips of this...
Old July 3, 2003, 10:01   #22
Ecthy
Emperor

those international networks also falsely show Palestinians dancing in the streets after terracts.
Old July 3, 2003, 10:17   #23
Sirotnikov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
those international networks also falsely show Palestinians dancing in the streets after terracts.

http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/cnn.htm

Quote:
Claim: CNN used old footage to fake images of 'Palestinians dancing in the street' after the terrorist attack on the USA.

[sic]

Origins: No,
CNN did not air decade-old footage of Palestinians dancing in the streets. Eason Jordan, CNN's Chief News Executive, confirmed that the video used on CNN was in fact shot on Tuesday, 11 September 2001, in East Jerusalem by a Reuters TV crew, not during the Persian Gulf conflict of 1990-91 — a fact proved by its inclusion of comments from a Palestinian praising Osama Bin Laden (whose name was unlikely to have come up ten years earlier in connection with the invasion and liberation of Kuwait) as well as the appearance in the video of post-1991 automobiles. The person who made the claim quoted above has since recanted.

Old July 3, 2003, 10:19   #24
Ecthy
Emperor

the point never was in the age of the recordings but rather how representative they are. they're used to claim that a majority of Palestinians support terror. those dancers were, however, an exception.
Old July 3, 2003, 10:30   #25
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
release a handful as goodwill gesture and to strengthen Abbas. then watch what Pals do. If they do nothing at all to fight terror, then return no more prisoners. If they do the minimum - attempting with limited success to stop ticking bombs from the areas they control, and arresting members of rogue AAMB cells - release some more. If they actually disarm Hamas, release the prisoners in large numbers.

And you probably have to release Bargouti, hes a player now, and you may even be setting him up as such.
Old July 3, 2003, 10:37   #26
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
the point never was in the age of the recordings but rather how representative they are. they're used to claim that a majority of Palestinians support terror. those dancers were, however, an exception.
well yeah since the PA sent out word not to dance, cause it would hurt their image. You might as well claim that Israelis dont support the overthrow of Saddam, since they didnt go out and dance in the streets over it.
Polling data seems to show that something like 25 -35% of the Pal population consistently support terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians, while close to 50% do when the peace process is not going well. Im not sure the support for Bin Laden, but given that polls show a significant minority in support of him in many parts of the muslim world, it wouldnt be surprising if that were true among palestinians as well.
Old July 3, 2003, 10:49   #27
Ecthy
Emperor

it's just wrong to bring the dancing guys up as an argument for palestinian gloating about terracts

even if some support them, that support might be reluctant. it certainly is inconsistent, as you have just shown. dancing people however are fond of terrorism (yes, all dancing people on earth ), and that just cannot be true for those 20-30%. they're human, too. the street dancers aren't. they're evil satan scum.
Old July 3, 2003, 11:18   #28
Kuciwalker
Deity

Don't release any of the terrorists. That's just STUPID.

Release all of the political prisoners.

Old July 3, 2003, 11:19   #29
Az
Emperor

hey, that's the flag of the US!

in any case, I don't mind releasing the old prisoners, those who served more than 20 years in prison.
Old July 3, 2003, 11:20   #30
Kuciwalker
Deity

Yes, but I can't put it in my sig

smilies don't work in the sig