Old July 3, 2003, 18:39   #1
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Major NHL News!
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...30&hubName=nhl

The Colorado Avalanche have reportedly signed free agents Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne to one-year contracts. Kariya will make $1.2 million (yes, you read that right!) next season, Selanne will earn $5.8 million. Kariya accepted the 88% pay cut to be reunited with his former teammate, and both men opted for less than their previous salaries (Selanne earned $6.5 million last year) to come to Colorado in hopes of winning the Stanley Cup.

Pierre Lacroix just made 29 other general managers look like chumps. I have no doubt he had this planned the moment that the Ducks announced they wouldn't tender a qualifying offer to Kariya, making him a UFA. While he's still got to replace the retired Patrick Roy, getting two such prolific snipers for such a bargain-basement price leaves him some flexibility to pick up another goaltender. He doesn't even need a very good one; with an offensive lineup boasting Kariya, Selanne, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk, and Alex Tanguay, you could probably slap a pair of rolled-up magazines in net and still win most games!

In other news, the Detroit Red Wings signed former Dallas defenceman Derian Hatcher to a 5-year contract paying $6 million per season, and have also activated their option on goaltender Dominik Hasek's contract for $8 million, fuelling the suspicion that Hasek will be returning to the NHL after retiring at the end of the 2001/2002 season.
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old July 3, 2003, 18:45   #2
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

$1.2 million? Holy crap.

Expect the rest of the NHL to snap up every goaltender with a pulse to prevent the Avs from getting anyone good.
Old July 3, 2003, 18:45   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
Kariya AND Selanne??? And at that price???

Holy crap.

Quote:
Pierre Lacroix just made 29 other general managers look like chumps.
Damn right he did! Sure they're only 1 year contracts, but still .... wow.
Old July 3, 2003, 18:47   #4
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
Quote:
with an offensive lineup boasting Kariya, Selanne, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk, and Alex Tanguay, you could probably slap a pair of rolled-up magazines in net and still win most games!

It's funny 'cos it's true.
Old July 3, 2003, 18:53   #5
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:02
Curtis Joseph will probably end up in Colorado since Detroit wants Hasek back.
Old July 3, 2003, 18:59   #6
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

You think Detroit would give their arch-rivals a goalie after they just pulled off what is possibly the greatest free-agent coup in the history of professional sports?

Are you mad? The Wings would eat CuJo's $8 million and have him keep the bench warm for nine months before handing him over to the Avs, no matter what they offered in return.

Think this drives down the price of all the other free agents?
Old July 3, 2003, 19:06   #7
optimus2861
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Curtis Joseph will probably end up in Colorado since Detroit wants Hasek back.
There's some speculation that Detroit activated Hasek's option in part to prevent Colorado from going after him. I agree with Guynemer; no way in hell will Detroit give Colorado a goaltender. Even the highly overrated Joseph could win it all with that Avalanche lineup in front of him!
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old July 3, 2003, 19:07   #8
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
Colorados offensive is reaaallly good. It was good this year but now? Uh oh! Do you think there are too much big stars though? Is it getting too one dimensional you think?

Yeah, Selänne wanted Kariya to be added in the contract so they can again play togehter, talking about a good deal though, Paul going for 1.2 million.. now that's a good deal for Colorado. I think they will also play good and score a lot, they're both in shape. Then with other players like Hejduk, Forsberg, Sakic.. what a nightmare for opponents and their defenses + goalies!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 3, 2003, 19:16   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 00:02
The West woudl be better off with Detroit giving CuJo to Colorado, the only team he can beat in the playoffs is Dallas, everyone else he just implodes
Old July 3, 2003, 19:20   #10
Tuberski

They should simply bring up a minor league goalie. With those lines they can stay in most games.

P.S. It's good to see my Avs working it this off-season.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 3, 2003, 20:05   #11
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Woo-hoo! Go Av's!

-=Vel=-
Old July 3, 2003, 20:08   #12
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

"In other news, the Detroit Red Wings signed former Dallas defenceman Derian Hatcher"

Damn it! Forget hockey for me.
Watching Hatcher smoke a guy was my main reason to watch.
Old July 3, 2003, 20:24   #13
Tuberski

Now you can watch him Smoke some Stars!

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 3, 2003, 20:26   #14
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I KNOW THAT!
Old July 3, 2003, 20:32   #15
Tuberski

At least you still have the Cowboys.

ACK!
Old July 3, 2003, 20:35   #16
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Cowboys will have the best defensive secondary in the NFL.
Old July 3, 2003, 20:37   #17
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Yes they will. I have always hated the Cowboys. But, since I moved to Texas I have rooted for them, since they ARE on every damn week.

Once they are good, I'll hate them again.

It sucks hating lousy teams.

ACK!
Old July 3, 2003, 20:39   #18
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Too bad that's all the Cowgirls have going for them.
Old July 3, 2003, 20:55   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Unfortunetly they'll all be in federal prision .

---

As for the Avs... that's gonna be a great offense. Hopefully Aesbischer is good, because if they lose in the playoffs (even though they supposedly had a superior offense this last time) he's gonna get blamed.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 3, 2003, 21:52   #20
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Unfortunetly they'll all be in federal prision .

---

As for the Avs... that's gonna be a great offense. Hopefully Aesbischer is good, because if they lose in the playoffs (even though they supposedly had a superior offense this last time) he's gonna get blamed.
These Cowboys seem to have better character, except the one involved with the hit and run.....and the one shot outside the strip bar............

ummmmmm......

GO AVS!!!!!

ACK!
Old July 3, 2003, 22:11   #21
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
These Cowboys seem to have better character, except the one involved with the hit and run.....and the one shot outside the strip bar............
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old July 4, 2003, 02:26   #22
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 22:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How could you pass over the BIGGEST signing of the day???

Marchant goes to Columbus for 19 mil over... 5 years, was it? Ah well, he was good as gone anyway. We can replace him. It should be interesting to see him placed with Nash, though.

As for Colorado: Uh, good signings. Yep. But... don't get Joseph. They say he be cursed! I'd stick with the decent Aebischer, or maybe go for... crap, I don't know. Hackett's already signed. Potvin? No. Maybe see if the Rangers'll part with one of their FOUR great goalies (Blackburn, Markkannen, Richter, Dunham)... Blah.

Speaking of Markkannen... That draft pick better pay off, Lowe. Frig. I liked Jussi!
Old July 4, 2003, 02:30   #23
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:02
Quote:
Originally posted by cinch

Marchant goes to Columbus for 19 mil over... 5 years, was it? Ah well, he was good as gone anyway. We can replace him. It should be interesting to see him placed with Nash, though.
Only Oilers and Blue Jackets fans care about that one. Marchant isn't fit to play for the Habs (and I'm a Leafs fan_.

Quote:
As for Colorado: Uh, good signings. Yep. But... don't get Joseph. They say he be cursed! I'd stick with the decent Aebischer, or maybe go for... crap, I don't know. Hackett's already signed. Potvin? No. Maybe see if the Rangers'll part with one of their FOUR great goalies (Blackburn, Markkannen, Richter, Dunham)... Blah.
I want to see Joseph playing for the Nashville Predators. Serves him right for snubbing the Leafs.
Old July 4, 2003, 09:38   #24
optimus2861
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch

Marchant goes to Columbus for 19 mil over... 5 years, was it?
Overpaid. He's a career 20-goal guy, albeit a fast-as-greased-lightning one. And why Columbus? Kiss the playoffs goodbye, Todd.

Quote:
As for Colorado: Uh, good signings. Yep. But... don't get Joseph. They say he be cursed! I'd stick with the decent Aebischer, or maybe go for... crap, I don't know. Hackett's already signed. Potvin? No.
Actually, I figure there's only three possibilities: Potvin or Storr from the UFA list, or Khabibulin from Tampa. Either of the first two can be had for $3-4 million, perhaps less for Storr. The sour ending of the Tampa season for Khabibulin may prompt a trade, and being across conference lines makes it more palatable for Tampa to deal the last piece of the puzzle to Colorado. Khabibulin will make $4.4 million next season, so it's still substantially less than what they were paying Roy.

Although Lacroix has said he wants to start the season with Aebischer. Couldn't hurt; even if he gives up 3 goals per game, that offense could easily pop in 4 or 5 .

Colorado will be one fun team to watch next season, hopefully enough to erase the sour taste of "defense, defense, defense!" hockey that got done to death in this year's playoffs.
Old July 4, 2003, 12:42   #25
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

THE BLACKHAWKS PICKED UP SCOTT NICHOL!!!!
whoopity fricking do! someone shoot me in the face
Old July 4, 2003, 13:13   #26
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
cinch, don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's actually Markkanen. You got the first name correctly though

I say Colorado needs to get Khabibulin.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 4, 2003, 13:20   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Maybe see if the Rangers'll part with one of their FOUR great goalies (Blackburn, Markkannen, Richter, Dunham)... Blah.
Eh, Richter is done. You don't want him. He probably won't want to play anymore .
Old July 6, 2003, 19:13   #28
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The only recent sports news scarier than this is the possibility that the Lakers might get both Gary Payton and Karl Malone at bargain-basement prices.

Oh well, the Mighty Duck ride was fun.
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old July 6, 2003, 19:38   #29
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Go Colorado!

Unfortunately, this is usually the kind of stage that's set for a horrible season, where everyone cries "What went wrong?!?!"

Let's just hope that doesn't happen.
Old July 6, 2003, 20:08   #30
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

A thread I saw at ESPN's forum:

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/nhl/re..._nhl&id=555434