Old July 3, 2003, 22:03   #1
samtheozzman
Settler

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Help on new Govs.
I am confussed... when I adjust to a new govenment such as republic or democracy my treasury takes a definate plunge. I know the reason is because they do not support any milatary so how do get past this? You need some defense.
Old July 3, 2003, 22:15   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does your total economic ouput decline or just your treasury. Because both Republic and Democracy add a significant amount of raw gold to your output, but then also deduct gold for upkeep, it may appear as if you're much worse off than before. However, in most cases you're actually producing a lot more -- this is usually most apparent in terms of tech research. For instance, a plausible example could be: you start your revoultion with 8 turns to go on Feudalism and a slight surplus each turn; you become a republic and suddenly you're running a large deficit - but, you may notice that Feudalism is now only 5 turns away; if you adjust your tech slider so that Fedualism is again 8 turns away, you find that you're enjoying a larger surplus than you had before, even though you're now paying gold for army upkeep. If the above example doesn't resemble your experiences, then my guess is that either (1) you've got a very large standing army, or (2) your empire isn't ready for republic (are their roads on every tile that a citizen is working?). Hope that helps.

Catt
Old July 4, 2003, 01:25   #3
Azeem
Prince

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Having roads on all your tiles would really help since Republic and Democracy gives a nice gold boost.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old July 7, 2003, 12:54   #4
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 22:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This happens to me from time to time and is most apparent when in a religious government because I notice the sudden drop from one turn to the next. But Catt's explanation above about turns to next advance v. amount of gold seems to be true, from what I've seen. I also notice that there appears to be an "adjustment period" to the new government. And without touching the sliders at all, for the next few turns you gain a little more each turn. So by the time you get to an advance that was say, 6 or 7 away, it about balances out your losses with the higher gpt you end up making*.

*This is a feeling. I've never done the math.