Old July 4, 2003, 01:13   #1
samtheozzman
Settler

Local Time: 05:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
corruption
How do you eliminate corruption from cities that have been conqured and only put up one shield per turn but have a maxed population? thanxs again!
Old July 4, 2003, 02:10   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Corruption has many factors to it. I don't know all of them though. Some of the factors include distance from your capitol city (or forbidden palace), number of cities under your control compared to the optimal city number (which is different for each size map). Courthouses and police stations are designed to fight corruption, but that only works on a percentage basis. It might not even dent your particular city. Communism is a government that evenly distributes corruption and waste between all your cities. It helps out those far away cities a bit at the expense of your core production cities. The commercial trait also lessens the amount of corruption your overall empire holds.

Check here for a more in depth discussion of corruption: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=46801

Good luck.
Old July 4, 2003, 10:13   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:03
Build a courthouse. In 80 turns.

Or you could rush it.
Old July 4, 2003, 14:07   #4
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
one possibility if all else fails is to irrigate them entirely, then all specialty citizens become taxmen, which will at least generage some gold.
Old July 4, 2003, 16:51   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Re: corruption
Quote:
Originally posted by samtheozzman
How do you eliminate corruption from cities that have been conqured and only put up one shield per turn but have a maxed population? thanxs again!
Well are we talking about a size 12 or better? No resisters left? No concern about a flip?
Chances are that we already have a good size empire with FP built. I say that as I am unlikely to be capturing very large cities early in the game and them being too far away so no help with corruption.
In that scenario, I will be making workers or settlers from the pop to get value.
I will not spend money to reduce corruption as I am at end game here and do not need more production. One scientist and 1 shield works for me in this case.
Old July 4, 2003, 18:04   #6
Mad Bomber
King

Re: Re: corruption
There is no one answer to this question, it all depends upon the situation in your game. Is it just one city or is it a group of cities? Are they on your continent or half a world a way? Each of these variables (and many more) are a determining factor in the approach to handling this situation.

The key is to find the best way for this city to make a contribution to the empire. Some cities may be nothing more than glorified colonies, providing a valuable resource or luxury. Some may be used as settler or worker pumps, or cash and research factories (all citizens that are unhappy or unproductive are assigned to taxmen or scientist) many others may indeed be woth reducing or eliminating corruption with courthouses, police stations, wonders, FP builds and palace moves.

The questions that you must ask yourself as you determine the fate of the city in question is: What role is this city to play in the empire? Obviously, it is not a true core city but if it is in a area near to your core cities then it is likely that corruption may be minimized. If it is far way and you are in the end game then the pump or factory situation may be more appropriate. If you are not in the end game and/ or you have a group of cities suffering from corruption then an FP or Palace move is probably the most effective solution.

The final solution is a government switch to communism, but that has drawbacks as well as benefits.

My advice is to experiment if you are not sure. Take a given situation and play it out with different approaches. Then take the best one that suits your choice.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.