Old July 4, 2003, 16:44   #1
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Diablo 2 1.10 Patch BETA
Yesterday, Blizzard released a beta version of the upcoming 1.10 patch for Diablo 2. It can only be played single player and LAN multiplayer, and isn't compatible with battle net. Their reasoning behind releasing a beta patch, somthing they've never done, is supposedly so people can help balance it before it's released.

Well, that seems partially true, but if you ask me it sounds more like they just don't have enough people to test the thing properly for it to be released any time this year, so they figured 'hey we'll make a beta and let them test it.'

I just want the damn thing to be released and a non battle net beta version isn't cutting it.

Also, it seems Bill Roper and a few other guys just up and quit out of nowhere. Kind of reminds me of what Brian Reynolds did. Hopefully Blizzard won't suck with Bill gone like Firaxis sucks with Brian gone.
Old July 5, 2003, 19:17   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 06:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well Diablo 2 has been around a long time, so its not quite like leaving mid development (unless theres a D3 in production..?)
Old July 6, 2003, 14:18   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 00:05
It doesn't surprise me tht they have people helping to balance the patch. If you've seen some of the things that can be done with certain weapons, your head would spin. Right now I'm using a 08 Vampire Gaze Grim Helm with simply incredible stats, later versions of the helm have been toned down significantly. Players know the game best and probably would be able to tell faster if something is unbalanced.

Blizzard is just adding another weapon in their arsenal of tools they use to make games perfect.
Old July 6, 2003, 15:17   #4
MBD
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:05
I was just wondering whether we'd ever see ver 1.10, because I've started playing the game again.
I hope and expect that this patch is backwards compatible with my 1.09 save games.
I also wish they'd finalize (and publicize!) all of the Horadric cube formulas. I hate experimenting with runes, jewels, and gems.
Old July 6, 2003, 17:13   #5
da_hal
Warlord

diabloii.net has all the newest cube recipies. i haven't checked today yet, but they promised to post the new runewords too.

i agree that doing this will only make the game better in a shorter amount of time and cheaply as well.
Old July 6, 2003, 19:28   #6
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MBD
I hope and expect that this patch is backwards compatible with my 1.09 save games.
The Beta version is, so I assume the final version will be too.
Old July 6, 2003, 19:33   #7
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I'm reinstalling the game. Do any of you people play open or is the only way I can have a reasonable expectation of a legit game with other people to play on the closed servers?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 6, 2003, 19:38   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

The 1.10 Beta patch is Singleplayer and LAN only, btw. It'll be put on the Realms when Blizzard are happy with it.

Yes, you should play on Closed if you want to play legit. There are still lots of cheaters there - but at least there are SOME legit players on closed.
Old July 7, 2003, 03:52   #9
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I'm reinstalling the game. Do any of you people play open or is the only way I can have a reasonable expectation of a legit game with other people to play on the closed servers?

Have you ever played this game? Everything is duped. EVERYTHING. The whole D2 economy is and has been based on duped items.

The 1.10 patch promises to eliminate the hacking that has ruined the game. Fat chance; however, the 1.10 ladder will create a totally dupe free economy (at least until they figure out how to dupe more) and it should stay that way long enough for me to enjoy it for a while. After all, it took D2 almost 2 years to become completely trashed with dupes, hacks, ith items, white rings, soj windforces, etc... (that bugged Sigon shield I had was badass, but I'd gladly give it up for a clean game).

I guess I would say you have a 'reasonable expectation of a legit game' on the new 1.10 ladders for at least a month, and then a good game for at least another 6. After that, who knows.
Old July 7, 2003, 03:57   #10
da_hal
Warlord

new items and runewords posted at arreats. extremely disappointing i must say.
Old July 7, 2003, 04:18   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 22:05
it was a fun game for a while. runes I never really got into. I got bored of it too quick.

I did play a few months ago. that character is probably deleted already. It was a druid.

But sadly, the gameplay is just to repetitive for me. but I did get my money's worth I believe.

What I really respect about this game was the free online service. They could have went the massive onine roleplay game, but didn't
Old July 7, 2003, 09:03   #12
DinoDoc
Deity

Are any of these still viable builds? If not what would you change about them?

Blood Golemancer
-Blood Golem = 4 points
-Iron Maiden = 15 points
-Bone Spirit = 20 points
-Corpse Explosion = 8-14 points (optional)
-All other skills except skeleton warrior, skeleton mage, skeleton mastery and revive at 1 point

Iron Golem Golemancer
-Amplify Damage = 6 points
-Iron Golem = 20 points
-Bone Spirit = 20 points
-Corpse Explosion = 8-14 points (optional)
-All other skills *except* skeleton warrior, skeleton mage, skeleton mastery and revive at 1 point

Fire Golem Golemancer
-Fire Golem = 20 points
-Lower Resists = 5 points
-Bone Spirit = 20 points
-Poison Nova = 20 points
-No Summon resist
-All other skills *except* skeleton warrior, skeleton mage, skeleton mastery and revive at 1 point
Old July 7, 2003, 09:07   #13
DinoDoc
Deity

BTW can anyone explain wtf an Annihilus Charm is?
Old July 7, 2003, 09:16   #14
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It's a unique small charm with very good stats (see diabloii.net).

It is in some way linked with the mysterious World Event that Blizzard has been talking about. Nobody knows how to activate the World Event yet, or what it actually is. It's supposed to be very difficult to trigger and have a cool effect (it's most likely not possible to trigger it during the Beta).
Old July 7, 2003, 12:41   #15
da_hal
Warlord

dino: not sure what version you are playing, but these builds seem a tad outdated. try the strats in the dii.net compendium. as far as i can see, they aren't bad for pvm, but you have too many stats here and there. imho, for blood and fire, you only need 1 pt. CE maxxes out at about 4-5, any more and you just increase range which isn't worth it. i don't like iron golems very much.

my necro has 4 CE, 1 in all golems, 20 spirit, some in amp, the rest in revive. the key for me is the a2 NM merc. he provides @50-80% of the offense, and i support him with curses, revives, and golems. if you pull back slightly, he follows first, so you can make it so that he never is attacked.

.10 has synergies, so now most builds are kind of moot.

to everybody else: sorry about all the abbr's.
Old July 7, 2003, 14:37   #16
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I tried necromancer, but I just could not get into it. I don't like standing around waiting for my stupid summons to actually kill something.
Old July 7, 2003, 15:19   #17
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by da_hal
try the strats in the dii.net compendium.
That's where I got them from.

Diss: I guess I just like RTS too much because the Necro just naturally appealed to me.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:12   #18
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Fire Golem Golemancer
-Fire Golem = 20 points
-Lower Resists = 5 points
-Bone Spirit = 20 points
-Poison Nova = 20 points
-No Summon resist
This is a good build, kind of. I made this build a while back, and gave him all the best items. Even with +11 to all skills, my necro still couldn't kill anything in Hell difficulty. He could never die either, but what fun is sitting there waiting for mana to recharge all the time. Hopefully in 1.10 the necro won't suck, cause they're tons of fun.
Old July 9, 2003, 19:15   #19
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

my last build was a zon with NM a2 merc. I had this zon since 1.0 and it was the slowest build I ever did (mainly cause I stopped whenever I didnt have next level bow to play around with)

I also enjoyed my druid+LOBD merc (a1 with +skill) and barb with uber armored a3 merc, but Sorc with a5 merc was the one who did all hte mf quests until zon could take over on that field...
Old July 13, 2003, 15:05   #20
da_hal
Warlord

dino: oh, sorry. my memory of the SC is that none of the necro builds suggested more than 5 CE.

everybody else: yeah i had tons of offense problems too until i built up the a2 merc. a5 is also sad as most revives from that area have pitifully slow offense. the only decent ones i used were the minotaurs.

after i got the a2 merc, it got a lot better, and then i could use most revives as meat shields. PI's are still a problem, as are most bosses with any kind of aura. but i make up for it with quantity.
Old July 13, 2003, 23:59   #21
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I still play open games, look for h-tower as my account name or an amazon named Hydey, a barbarian named War4Ever or a sorceress named apolyton

I mooch most of my items off of my brother who has a program called pindlebot which goes on repetetive runs that kill this one boss in act5 who supposedly drops really good items.

IIRC, my Zon is ~lvl84, the barb is in the mid 20's and the sorc is 18.
Old July 14, 2003, 00:04   #22
DinoDoc
Deity

Do you have any good Necro items?
Old July 14, 2003, 00:45   #23
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

sigh. each of these threads always seems to convince me to resinstall diablo2.

well time to get the cd's out. you know where I'll be.
Old July 14, 2003, 06:12   #24
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:05
Must be strong, must resist...
Old July 14, 2003, 08:46   #25
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

You know, I quit playing when I realized that you will never, ever get relevant items for your character in single player. I've played through with the necromancer, the knight, and the barbarian and I never get good items for the characters I'm playing. I was lucky and got a wand for my necromancer that gives +8 to bone spear but it tooks me hours to save up the money to buy it (can't level up or change boards or items change). Maybe that's how they get you to buy in to MP but with my dialup it's not worth it.
Old July 14, 2003, 14:31   #26
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Do you have any good Necro items?
I've never really played as the necro, so no
Old July 14, 2003, 15:19   #27
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
I was lucky and got a wand for my necromancer that gives +8 to bone spear
Are you playing a mod, cause IIRC that is not possible.
Old July 14, 2003, 15:30   #28
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Would it be possible to have +2 Necro Skills, +3 Poison and Bone Skills, and +3 Bone Spear on the same wand? That'd be one hell of a find, but I'm not sure you can get that under normal rules either.
Old July 14, 2003, 19:17   #29
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
I still play open games, look for h-tower as my account name or an amazon named Hydey, a barbarian named War4Ever or a sorceress named apolyton

I mooch most of my items off of my brother who has a program called pindlebot which goes on repetetive runs that kill this one boss in act5 who supposedly drops really good items.

IIRC, my Zon is ~lvl84, the barb is in the mid 20's and the sorc is 18.
That would be Pindleskin.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old July 15, 2003, 01:25   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I never get good items, but I have fun playing nevertheless.

I just started my new Amazon character. She has a crappy bow, but she's cool. Amazon's are real dependant on good items. Having a good bow is imperative.

If you want a character not dependant on items quite as much, try a sorceress. While many items are very useful for a sorceress, they can still kick some major ass without them.