Old July 7, 2003, 16:05   #121
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I am Aragorn, son of Arathon.. wait no.. I am AHAB!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:06   #122
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 22:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
how can people's hairs and eyes change colour from the sun? i've never seen that happen to anyone... skin yeah but hair and eyes?
I hear went from blond to brown once I hit puberty so we can chalk that up to hormone changes. The brown to red thing is caused by the sun's UV rays "bleaching" (for lack of a better word) my hair. I know lot's of people who's hair lightens when ever they spend a day or two at the beach. Think of it as a sun tan for your hair.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:07   #123
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
that's called "burnt out" geeslaka.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:07   #124
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 05:09
I thought the average was 4 inches...

Peoples hair changes color in the sun, my get lighter... I think that peoples eyes change in regards to the skin color, giving more of an illusion of change than actual change... However, peoples eyes can change color through maturity.

Asher
Asher
ASHER

I don't really care.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:10   #125
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 01:09
how does your hair change colour? is there some kind of chemical in it that changes its colour... i've never heard of this...
Old July 7, 2003, 16:11   #126
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

What?!
I believe she is saying that men who like fake boobs are fake themselves.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:16   #127
Oerdin
Deity

They aren't necissarially fake. They just want to project a fake image that they're living the "ideal life" with an "ideal mate". What ever that means. :hmm:
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:21   #128
geeslaka
Prince

I do my best not to project a fake image. I do not dress up for school pictures. I don't try to pretend I'm nice when I'm around girls. And I don't try to convince people I care whether they live or die.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:23   #129
Kitschum
King

Local Time: 07:09
Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka

Kitschum: 6 in. does not convert to 183 cm. It converts to 15.24 cm. This is only place with a six-inch poster.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:26   #130
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

huh?
Old July 7, 2003, 16:27   #131
Kitschum
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

183cm= 6 feet. There are 12 inches to a foot so if you were 6" (not 6') tall then you'd be 15-16cm tall.
Yeah, 6 ft is right.

Quote:
Yeah, I have that problem too. My hair was blond when I was born then it turned light brown when I was 10 and now it turns red when ever I'm in the sun for to long. Damn my Scottish genes.
It's pretty crazy, my eyes change too, I could've sworn I had bright blue eyes as a kid, but now they're more steel-y. Also I knew a guy with brown hair, a little lighter than mine, who went and lived in Australia for a few months and came back blond.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:27   #132
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Who are you anway?
Family background: Married, with child. We're about to hit our ninth anniversary, but we've been together in one form or other since 1987.

Religion: Raised Catholic, baptised daughter as Catholic, and like another poster, I am comfortable with a God who looks vaguely like Santa Claus (but can get pissed sometimes - though never at me, 'cause I'm so good. )

Work/School: Self-employed, though not really in the business I want to be in 'cause of Arsehole Parents. This situation will change come September 1st, and if AP decides to get in my way I'll have no recourse but to destroy them.

Went to the U. of Georgia, where I majored in Mediocrity with a 2.54 GPA to prove it.

Went to Tucker High School and Chamblee High School. There are a couple of posters here familiar with CHS, but none from Tucker, iirc.

Interests: Family, work, Apolyton MB. I read a lot of SF and non-fiction, used to debate a lot of politics (until I figured everything out).

TV/Movies: Buffy/Chinatown are my (current) all-time faves in those categories.

Apolytoner's I've met: Loinburger, Snowfire, Chegitz, GP, Bunnygrrl... tried to meet MLeonard and Mao but their Mommys stopped them. I've also met a few other people from the net, none of them Apolytoners.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:30   #133
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Quote:
tried to meet MLeonard and Mao but their Mommys stopped them.
how and why?

and why don't you come and meet me, john?
Old July 7, 2003, 16:31   #134
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 23:09
Apolytoner's I've met: November Adam, Zylka

:/
Old July 7, 2003, 16:33   #135
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

how and why?

and why don't you come and meet me, john?
It was a few years ago, when they were much younger. I was in Philly for 5 days on that trip as well, Albert, and I posted a thread about it... guess you didn't reply. It was during the 2000 Republican National Convention.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:34   #136
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

by the way, everybody like my terrorist-like name?

(I havent met any apolytoners unless one of the five or so people i know who play Civilization [none of them are nerds, believe it or not] have come here before)
Old July 7, 2003, 16:37   #137
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

John:

oh my bad... i wasn't posting for quite a while in 2000 so i probably missed that.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:37   #138
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin
St_Swithin's top [10] array:

0) Argue not about the cards you are dealt in Texas Hold'em, or in life.

1) All 5 senses are useless without belief to hold them together.

2) Moore's Law only applies while the limits of materials sciences have not yet been reached.

3) Do unto others - i.e. if you're a Jehovah's Witness, don't knock on the Jewish neighbours' door asking if they've found Jesus at 6am, and then don't get pissed off if they slam the door in your face.

4) Never go straight, only FORWARD.

5) Regret the things you have not yet done, and don't dwell on the things that you have done.

6) Don't stop asking WHY until you get a satisfactory response.

7) It's not in the answers, btw, it's in the QUESTION.

8) It's not what you ask, but how you ask it, and when, and where, and why and how.

9) The truth ALWAYS hurts, but it's the only thing that can set you FREE.

Note: my arrays always start with [0]. I HATE scripting languages that reinforce the probability of an off-by-one error.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 7, 2003, 16:58   #139
OneFootInTheGrave
King

and who am I?

well a Croat

in UK - Bracknell

What am I doing here? Well that is what I ask myself often ... but mainly waiting for my wife to finish her degree... and than who knows... the good thing about this place is that I can have a cable modem ... I know this is pathetic, but well something is better than nothing...

other than that... I am selling cars lately

anyway if you want I can sell you some... new UK cars from UK dealers believe it or not... but the business principle is actually sound - we act as the agent very much like those insurance agetns that you call when you want to buy insurance, just in this case you call us to buy a car and get a good discount if you go trough us so when I left HP (hewlett packard) earlier on this year, this thing was on, still we haven't lifted off as we could but one can only hope, either that or back to corporate numbness... one thing is for sure it has been exciting...

other than that... what I was doing... well getting fat - from 66 kgh ~4 year ago to 87 now... I am 180cm (or 179 ) ... 1977... like Ash or Ronaldo ... have a 3 year old kid a girl.. , and a wife both currently on holiday back home... and I work here trying to get this new business off the ground...

other than that... religion: well there is no definition, but I believe in God, but kind of independant view...

what else, well don't watch TV anymore, as I have cable (internet that is) ... apart from work and being here, I play TFC or RCTW ET lately... you can find me on Bygames, or Multiplay servers quite regularly now that I have my other half on holiday... MozartHeils to the Thief is me at the moment ...

and the rest... hmmm... rather regularly I stop here, and that's about it... oh well as for college education BA accounting ...

phief... thinking about it this adult life is dull well not totally., but when your family is gone.... while they are around something is always going on other than that, childhood in what was than Yugoslavia, and the beginning of Croatia was Kick A$$... lovely... couldn't ask for better no way ... I guess this is why I am complaining now

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 7, 2003, 17:07   #140
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Family: Married parents, one older brother who just got married, an arseload of crazy aunts, uncles, cousins, great-aunts, great-uncles, second cousins, etc. Most of us are engineer types, so our family reunions are a blast.

Work/School: Got a BS in CS in May 2002, currently pursuing an MS in CS and working as a research assistant to cover tuition and make ends meet etc. Future plans are still hazy, but I've got until March-ish to figure that business out.

Religion: Catholic until about ten years ago, nothing since then.

Interests: Reading (mostly sci-fi and horror), racquetball, cooking, research.

Vomitoriums: Delicious.

Eats And Treats: Tacos, spaghetti, rice, garlic, and tobasco sauce. I'm still trying to learn how to make an alfredo sauce, mostly I just stick to marinara. I am most upset at the difficulty in acquiring a gallon jug of tobasco sauce, particularly since the local grocer only carries the 5 oz. bottles.
Old July 7, 2003, 17:11   #141
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

mleonard and emperor fabulous I have met, of course. We grew up together.

I've also met Giant Squid.
Albert Speer
Old July 7, 2003, 17:53   #142
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

i still dont understand the bleaching of hair... if exposure to the sun makes your skin darker, how does your hair get lighter?
Old July 7, 2003, 18:07   #143
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 17:09
Quote:
and who am I?

well a Croat

in UK - Bracknell
You live in Bracknell?!?

/me sniggers

Poor guy.
Old July 7, 2003, 18:53   #144
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy

You live in Bracknell?!?

* Frozzy sniggers

Poor guy.
have you been here ...

i know ... actually not Bracknell exactly, but rather near... not that bad actually as in the town, but still not my environment of choice...

Old July 7, 2003, 19:05   #145
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
i still dont understand the bleaching of hair... if exposure to the sun makes your skin darker, how does your hair get lighter?
I'm totally guessing here and if someone knows the real reason then please speak up but I believe hair color is created by proteins in the hair (as in the pigments are made out of proteins) and the UV light damages these proteins causing them to change colors.

That's my guess.
Old July 7, 2003, 19:08   #146
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
clothes get bleached by the sun as well. I'm sure there are some similarities between hair and eg wool (sheep hair )

I become a negative of myself during summer, my hair gets almost white and my skin becomes brown. The rest of the year it's almost the opposite
Old July 7, 2003, 19:15   #147
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Quote:
and who am I?

well a Croat
Nice people, Croats
Old July 7, 2003, 20:01   #148
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 00:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Romance stuff: Most here should know I'm one of the gays. I remember having crushes on guys that my mom taught when I was as young as 5 or 6. When I hit puberty, I started having the hots for guys in my class. I figured it was just a passing phase or hormones just going bezerk. Even after I fooled around with a guy in high school when I was 16, I didn't think of myself as gay. A lot of this also had to do with living in a conservative area where I heard gay slurs uttered all the time by peers. I dated a girl for 2 years, though I never laid a hand on her. We are now best friends and I see her regularly.

Now I am generally out except at work, but even there a few of my colleagues know explicitely, and I've gotten signs everyone else knows unofficially. However, with the exception of my aunt and uncle in Texas, I don't think anyone in my extended family has been told, and I've left that up to my parents to deal with.

Interests: Of couse, everyone here probably knows of my love of classical music and opera. I sing in amatuer venues here in NY, including a Brooklyn opera company and a Manhattan chamber choral group. I'm also a huge history buff, especially ancient and European history. I dabble in architecture, often doodling house plans in dull meetings. I am a ship enthusiast, especially the old ocean liners. This comes from being a Titanic buff since I was very young, though I've not delved much into that. Like Agathon, I'm also a bit of a Ripper enthusiast. Obviously, I like computer games, especially the Civ and Diablo series. I'm just getting into GTA3 now...
Hey, the Internet chat connection was a life-saver for me to from the rural town I was still living in, when I came out to myself.

I realized you had an interest in music, but I never thought that you had a degree in it -- congrats.

Oh, do you have Rise of Nations -- I am planning on buying it.
Old July 7, 2003, 20:02   #149
MrFun
Emperor

loinburger, good luck on your life quest for a gallon jug of tabasco.
Old July 7, 2003, 20:04   #150
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Family: My parents are still married though my mother is currently dyeing of cancer. I have one older sister (who’s 29) who’s married with three kids. Both sets of my grandparents are dead (my maternal grandmother died before I was born, my maternal grandfather died of heart disease at the age of 73, my paternal grandfather died of Parkinson’s at the age of 85, and my paternal grandmother died of a heart attack at the age of 89) but I have numerous aunts, uncles, cousins and what nots; most of them live in California though I do have relatives in Scotland, England, Georgia, Michigan, and Australia.
All of my natural grandparents have been gone now too, with my second grandmother's death about three years ago.