Old July 6, 2003, 20:08   #121
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

and i must say, the "God bless america" crap really gets on my nerves too, as it does on most Americans who are not conservative christian. Even if i wern't agnostic/atheist, why would god show the US special favor?
[/threadjack]
God was quite clearly English in the 19th century, but it is also obvious that he must have emigrated to the US at some point in the early 20th.
Old July 7, 2003, 02:01   #122
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Re American Pride
This, I think, is one of my problems with understanding international loathing of the US. I dont understand why they would dislike us because we are loud and proud of being americans.
I have to let Tocqueville do the explaining:

Quote:
All free nations are vainglorious, but national pride is not displayed by all in the same manner. The Americans, in their intercourse with strangers, appear impatient of the smallest censure and insatiable of praise. The most slender eulogy is acceptable to them, the most exalted seldom contents them; they unceasingly harass you to extort praise, and if you resist their entreaties, they fall to praising themselves. It would seem as if, doubting their own merit, they wished to have it constantly exhibited before their eyes.

Their vanity is not only greedy, but restless and jealous; it will grant nothing, while it demands everything, but is ready to beg and to quarrel at the same time.
If I say to an American that the country he lives in is a fine one, "Ay," he replies, "there is not its equal in the world." If I applaud the freedom that its inhabitants enjoy, he answers: "Freedom is a fine thing, but few nations are worthy to enjoy it."… At length I leave him to the contemplation of himself; but he returns to the charge and does not desist till he has got me to repeat all I had just been saying. It is impossible to conceive a more troublesome or more garrulous patriotism; it wearies even those who are disposed to respect it.

"And when it is (like, 'we are the best and everything we do is right', which is very rare and only said by an uberingnorant/patriotic minority), why would foreigners bother themselves to care?"

Rare? You semm to have an entire industry dedicated to the "we're the best in the world" slogan.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 7, 2003, 02:35   #123
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
Azazel: You've had it in for me since that utilitarianism thread! What gives?
You hold one of the positions I dislike the most in modern thinking. These are:
-Libertarianism.
-Moral Relativism.
-Multiculturalism in the moral relativist context (i.e. I have no problem with people being different in tastes or preferences, But I don't think that people should be organized according to that, or destroy a basic fabric of relationships in a modern, advanced human society because of it.)

Quote:
Just because I happen to recognise the fallacy of considering ones own culture better than another, doesn't mean that I'm a fan of Sharia law, public beatings, or bhurkas.
Why not? If you say they're morally equivalent, what makes you choose one sort of life over the other? personal taste?
Old July 7, 2003, 03:09   #124
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 23:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tocqueville -

Quote:
Their vanity is not only greedy, but restless and jealous; it will grant nothing, while it demands everything, but is ready to beg and to quarrel at the same time.
If I say to an American that the country he lives in is a fine one, "Ay," he replies, "there is not its equal in the world." If I applaud the freedom that its inhabitants enjoy, he answers: "Freedom is a fine thing, but few nations are worthy to enjoy it."… At length I leave him to the contemplation of himself; but he returns to the charge and does not desist till he has got me to repeat all I had just been saying.
I think most anyone who knows americans in this day and age would have to disagree with Tocqueville's observations.

Americans do demand a lot, but they are also charitable...
Also, very, very few americans would ever say anything remotely like this,
"Freedom is a fine thing, but few nations are worthy to enjoy it."…
on contrare, Americans have a problem with WANTING to share it

I like Pekka's, Azazel's, and even Spiff's analysis better (as in i htink they are more accurate)
Old July 7, 2003, 03:16   #125
HershOstropoler
Settler

"Americans have a problem with WANTING to share it"

Ask people in latin america about that.

Apart from that, Tocqueville's observation is still correct. Your loud nationalism is highly annoying. That you don't percieve it that way doesn't change the perception for non-americans.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 7, 2003, 03:18   #126
HershOstropoler
Settler

"Americans do demand a lot, but they are also charitable... "

I think you misunderstood the issue. It's very difficult to find Americans praising other countries, unless they play an american poodle.
Old July 7, 2003, 03:40   #127
Saras
Emperor

Right on, Hersh. Most Americans I've met didn't even bother to be interested in things they could respect about my country.

OTOH, they craved for praise on their most recent purchase of a pickup truck.
Old July 7, 2003, 04:47   #128
aaglo
King

I think it's a big country
Old July 9, 2003, 09:40   #129
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:39
Re: What is your opinion of the United States?
Quote:
But this seems to simple... this doesnt seem to explain why so many people's opinion of the US has seemed to plummit over the years. Or is this all just my imagination? fed by shows like the one i saw?
The reason so few people like America is because their arrogant government thinks the rest of the world is their servant. They act like they are the only country that matters and they don't follow the standards they set of other countries (e.g. They say Iraq had WoMDs so they can attack even though America has WoMDs) etc.

Last edited by Elden; July 9, 2003 at 11:31.
Old July 9, 2003, 10:49   #130
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 01:09
Quote:
God was quite clearly English in the 19th century, but it is also obvious that he must have emigrated to the US at some point in the early 20th.

Krammerman - I too am sick of "God Bless America." I've never liked it, but it's everywhere now, and it turns my stomach. Luckily, I have a remote control.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 9, 2003, 10:53   #131
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 00:09
Quote:
I think you misunderstood the issue. It's very difficult to find Americans praising other countries, unless they play an american poodle.
actually, it's difficult to find Americans praising other countries, even if they do play an American poodle: vanatu, for instance. or skorea in the past. or pakistan. or turkey in the past.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:04   #132
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

But this seems to simple... this doesnt seem to explain why so many people's opinion of the US has seemed to plummit over the years. Or is this all just my imagination? fed by shows like the one i saw?

It has a lot to do with American propensity to air our dirty laundry for the world to see, and also an pathological focus on everything US by non-Americans.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 9, 2003, 11:04   #133
Az
Emperor

Old July 9, 2003, 11:06   #134
DanS
Deity

actually, it's difficult to find Americans praising other countries, even if they do play an American poodle: vanatu, for instance. or skorea in the past. or pakistan. or turkey in the past.

You forget to mention that it's difficult to find Americans criticizing other countries as well.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 9, 2003, 11:07   #135
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
You forget to mention that it's difficult to find Americans criticizing other countries as well.
A Frenchman wouldn't buy this statement.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:08   #136
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

That doesn't count.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:08   #137
DanS
Deity

The exception proves the rule in this case.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:08   #138
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:09
True, but the French are in a special category....they give at least as good as they get....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:10   #139
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Talk about your rapid responses!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:12   #140
Arrian
Deity

Yeah, we were ON that one.

-Arrian

Old July 9, 2003, 11:14   #141
Harovan
staff

Amazing...

Well, I know, that the French share this point of view, at least since the day when I tried to communicate in English in a hotel in Paris.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:15   #142
Velociryx
staff

Oh.....we and the French have a love-hate relationship. They pretend they hate us, and we think they're cute when they act mad....

-=Vel=-
Old July 9, 2003, 11:18   #143
DanS
Deity

Well, I know, that the French share this point of view, at least since the day when I tried to communicate in English in a hotel in Paris.

And they wonder why US tourism is down to France.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:20   #144
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
I wonder why they thought Woody Allen would things?
Old July 9, 2003, 11:20   #145
Arrian
Deity

I'd bet French toursim is down to the US too, Dan.

Can't prove it, though.

-Arrian

Old July 9, 2003, 11:24   #146
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Why doesn't an American start a "Do You, As An American Citizen, Really Give A Damn What The Rest Of The World Thinks?" poll.

Old July 9, 2003, 11:27   #147
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:

It's incredibly easy to find one among Americans abroad.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:28   #148
Harovan
staff

Quote:

You encounter amazing things when you are in a foreign land and try to talk in a seemingly common, but unliked language. The same happened to me, when I tried to communicate in Russian in a grocery store in Estonia. They simply claimed not to understand me, although my Russian is fairly good. It took me to say the word "Scheiße!" in German (would be censored here ), and they realized, that I'm not a Russian and served me, btw in perfect Russian.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:33   #149
Velociryx
staff

Now Hersh....why would Americans be abroad. We know nobody likes us anyway....

Sir Ralph....that's a good story....very illustrative of the point (not to mention, how ironic! After discovering that you weren't Russian after all, THEN they break out the Russian language....)

-=Vel=-
Old July 9, 2003, 11:35   #150
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Now Hersh....why would Americans be abroad. We know nobody likes us anyway....
The bigger mystery is, why do they subject themselves to atrocities like Sound of Music?

I have a suspicion you are using us as some sort of extraterritorial correctional facility...