Old July 9, 2003, 11:35   #151
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Why doesn't an American start a "Do You, As An American Citizen, Really Give A Damn What The Rest Of The World Thinks?" poll.

Because if an American started that poll there would only be one button - no...

... well maybe a Bannana & No option too
Old July 9, 2003, 11:38   #152
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:09
Are you kiddin?! There's a grassroots movement afoot to replace our current national anthem WITH "The sound of music!"

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:42   #153
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 06:09
I know you're strange, but you can't be that strange.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 9, 2003, 11:42   #154
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 00:09
I'd start it, but that low-down ferret RAH would kill it.
You know how he is.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:44   #155
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:09
Hersh....thankfully, you are correct, sir!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Last edited by Velociryx; July 9, 2003 at 12:40.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:45   #156
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 01:09
I'd bet French toursim is down to the US too, Dan.

Not as much. American tourism is down to France by about 25% this summer. French tourism to the US is down by less than 10%, IIRC.

I wonder why they thought Woody Allen would things?

Actually, it's not such a bad thought. Their most lucrative market is rich New Yorkers and the like. Anecdotal evidence from a family of a friend in New York suggests that French wine is taking a huge hit, for instance. And New York isn't normally your bastion of warmongering.

It's incredibly easy to find one among Americans abroad.

Those are just comparisons, not criticisms!

You encounter amazing things when you are in a foreign land and try to talk in a seemingly common, but unliked language.

France makes a lot of money on tourism. It would make good business sense for them to be a lot friendlier.

Also, let's just say that there's a history regarding Estonia and Russia that is decidedly unfriendly and recent. This is not the case with France and the Anglophone countries.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; July 9, 2003 at 12:03.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:47   #157
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Those are just comparisons, not criticisms!
How about comparison-based criticisms.

The one about the bread still cracks me up.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old July 9, 2003, 11:51   #158
DanS
Deity

The bread?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 9, 2003, 11:56   #159
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
The bread?
I think I mentioned this in one of the food threads. At a seminar here, a yank was preaching the virtues of capitalism (think it was about shop opening hours). Out of millions of goods, he had to make the example that he can get 30 or so different kinds of bread at some store somewhere.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:57   #160
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Now Hersh....why would Americans be abroad. We know nobody likes us anyway....

Sir Ralph....that's a good story....very illustrative of the point (not to mention, how ironic! After discovering that you weren't Russian after all, THEN they break out the Russian language....)

-=Vel=-
That's Estonians for ya
Old July 9, 2003, 12:02   #161
DanS
Deity

At a seminar here, a yank was preaching the virtues of capitalism (think it was about shop opening hours). Out of millions of goods, he had to make the example that he can get 30 or so different kinds of bread at some store somewhere.

You should have pointed out that his example was absurd in most parts of Europe. As for store hours, well...
Old July 9, 2003, 12:07   #162
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:

You should have pointed out that his example was absurd in most parts of Europe.
I did. And it's particularly absurd for Austria with its obession to create ever new breads.

"As for store hours, well... "

Well you know my opinion, scrap those rules. It just won't change much. Most shops don't even fully use the current hours.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:11   #163
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:39
Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler

I did. And it's particularly absurd for Austria with its obession to create ever new breads.

"As for store hours, well... "

Well you know my opinion, scrap those rules. It just won't change much. Most shops don't even fully use the current hours.
Government limiting store hours is ridiculous - I live in Adelaide where we have limits but am originally from Melbourne in Melbourne most stores are open 24 / 7 its really great.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:12   #164
DanS
Deity

Well you know my opinion, scrap those rules.

Well, you're a liberal. Would you expect the majority of Austrians to support that?

It just won't change much. Most shops don't even fully use the current hours.

That's true, and it's precisely why it should be changed. There might be a small minority of shops that would find it profitable to stay open late (besides liquor stores ).
Old July 9, 2003, 12:15   #165
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 21:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
All we have to do is make more kinds of bread for everyone and all the worlds problems would be solved.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:16   #166
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:

Well, you're a liberal. Would you expect the majority of Austrians to support that?
IIRC public opinion is quite split on the issue.

"There might be a small minority of shops that would find it profitable to stay open late (besides liquor stores )."

There IS such a minority. You only have to run a gas station (and there are some other loopholes). It's really quite absurd.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:21   #167
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Starting position: Excellent, plenty of cows and wheat, few barbarians, many rivers and seashores, immense room for expansion. All luxuries and strategic resources available. No threatening civ around.

All technologies discovered up to the start by Europeans powers available for free.

No upkeep for old cathedrals and castles.

Considering the above, my opinion about the US as a civilization is that any success short of what they became would have been an utter failure.

For the same reason, I wish the American people limit their pride to what they personally accomplish, which should be enough to make everybody happy.

Overall rating : very good bordering excellent
Old July 9, 2003, 12:30   #168
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 00:09
Setting hours for when one is allowed to buy/sell bread.
Yep. The old USA certainly sucks.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:36   #169
HershOstropoler
Settler

Let's not get into your ridiculous restrictions on selling alcohol.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:41   #170
DanS
Deity

Actually, I was surprised that the rules on liquor sales have been removed in Ohio when I was home this Summer. The 24-hour supermarket Kroger sold lots of good beers and hard liquor (hard liquor used to be a state-run business).

But then again, my immediate township in Ohio still forbids sales of alcohol at any time.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:45   #171
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Let's not get into your ridiculous restrictions on selling alcohol

****ing Connecticut Blue Laws!

You got us there, Hersh.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:45   #172
HershOstropoler
Settler

Do local governments sometimes limit opening hours in general?
Old July 9, 2003, 12:48   #173
Evil Knevil
Prince

Its a big scary bully. Although I doubt any other country with that much power would be any different. It also needs to mature slightly lose the nationalism, fundamentalism and social conservatism, soooo pre WW1
Old July 9, 2003, 12:52   #174
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

In CT, you cannot buy alchohol after 8pm, and at all on Sundays. Why? Because a bunch of Puritans used to live here.

Bastards.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 9, 2003, 12:55   #175
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, as an immigrant to the US, who chose to become a US citizen, who comes from a country with a singular relation to the US (we don;t even have our own currency, but use the dollar [but we call it something else]), let me add my two cents:

I think, at least in Panama, that people admire Americans for their industriousness and their straight and law abbding ways (the myth of Americans as freethinking rebels is just that, at leats compared to most humanity). The rich send thier kids to the US more than anywhere else, and everyone knows that unlike where they live, everyone deos have a chance to be rich (even thought they overestimate it commonly) and successful, and that in general, Americans are less bigotted than Europeans, as far as new immigrants are concerned. So that dmiration for America's success in achieving material success and amazing material power is respected and admired.

BUT: Poeple still like their own ways: we enjoy our music, or food, our customs, our crazy ways, and we are not likely to enjoy people aorund that think they are better (now this is just common human reality: panamanians do feel themsleves supperior to say, Dominicas, since we are richer than them and think ourselves more urbane and sophisticated [which is true]), but Americans are the least tactfull when it coems to making that clear. And then there is American ignorance, and yes, people, it is special: you see, it is not ignorance of others (that is common enough), but ignorance of oneself. In general A Panamanian kid woill know more about Panama than an American kid will know about the US. (many times, the Panamanian kid will know more about the US also). Americans do NOT like to learn too much about themselves, or at least the school system negletcs that tragically. There are few places with universal schooling where you could claim that a person coming out of secondary education might still be able to NOT KNOW when their country came nto being, except the US.

They say that only if you know thyself can you know others well too, and I agree. American are quicker than most to ignore and dismiss the tradtions of others, since they are less likely to admit or remeber their own mistakes. And it seems difficult to imagine that people ignored or dismissed are likely to have much love for you, even if they admire our successes.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 9, 2003, 12:57   #176
HershOstropoler
Settler

Different traditions. My local supermarket closes at 7pm, but I can buy beer at the gas station around the clock.
Old July 9, 2003, 13:00   #177
Arrian
Deity

Whereas my supermarket is open 24hrs, but no beer after 8 (no liquor/wine in supermarkets anyway, for that you have to go to a different store).

-Arrian

Old July 9, 2003, 13:02   #178
HershOstropoler
Settler

Given the importance of beer as a basic food stuff, I prefer our model.
Old July 9, 2003, 13:02   #179
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
In CT, you cannot buy alchohol after 8pm, and at all on Sundays. Why? Because a bunch of Puritans used to live here.

Bastards.
I was on vacation in Florida and wanted to have a drink with my lunch. It was a small local bar, not one of the tourist centers. The waitress looked at me shocked and asked "You want what?"
Old July 9, 2003, 13:07   #180
Arrian
Deity

See, now, I could have a drink after 8 or on Sunday in a restaurant or bar, I just can't buy it at a store ( ). Clearly, the former is morally upright, but the latter is sinful.

-Arrian