Old July 9, 2003, 13:39   #181
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 01:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No beer on Sundays in Georgia, but that's the only restriction in the Atlanta area (that I'm aware of). Damn Sunday worshippers .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 9, 2003, 15:44   #182
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 23:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
And then there is American ignorance, and yes, people, it is special: you see, it is not ignorance of others (that is common enough), but ignorance of oneself. In general A Panamanian kid woill know more about Panama than an American kid will know about the US. (many times, the Panamanian kid will know more about the US also). Americans do NOT like to learn too much about themselves, or at least the school system negletcs that tragically. There are few places with universal schooling where you could claim that a person coming out of secondary education might still be able to NOT KNOW when their country came nto being, except the US.
GePap, do you have any stats or info that could back this up, by any chance ? It is an interesting claim and hypothesis, but hard for me to imagine. Tho I know i did have a much better than average education, so i cant use myself as an example of a typical american child... so thats probably why i cant imagine it, im to subjective from my own experiences.
Old July 9, 2003, 15:47   #183
Kramerman
Prince

We have 24 hour a day liquor stores in Texas, at least where i live (or used to live, i should say). But that is kinda useless to me, as I am not old enough to legally by alcohol, nor would I if i were... except for wine... tatses sooo good with chocolate, steak, and good cheese (and certain wine with fish).... tho thats my tatse, and im sure im preaching to the chior here.
Old July 9, 2003, 15:49   #184
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
old saying: Don't trust a man who doesn't drink with you.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 9, 2003, 16:03   #185
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
GePap, do you have any stats or info that could back this up, by any chance ? It is an interesting claim and hypothesis, but hard for me to imagine. Tho I know i did have a much better than average education, so i cant use myself as an example of a typical american child... so thats probably why i cant imagine it, im to subjective from my own experiences.
I don;t have any specfic finding os my own, but ony thew residue of countless sorts of little poll results that come around. This is one of the few contries with a fixed date of independence, were I can think of some kid who might not remember 1776 (including college graduates). I mean, that's not even asking about 1787, 1789, or 1791!

Even with my above average education, I can say that history and geography education in the US is poor.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 10, 2003, 17:33   #186
S. Kroeze
Prince

Local Time: 05:09
Re: What is your opinion of the United States?
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
What is your opinion of the United States?

I knew things were bad... but geez... it made it seem like everyone in the world is screaming for US blood. Something like 70% of France had a negative opinion of America. Something like 70% of Russians genuinely feared American military action.

The people tried to explained the reasons for the anti-americanism, and said the main cause was the "your with us or against us" attitude and the general 'cowboy' and 'bulley' that the world perceives the US as.
But this seems to simple... this doesnt seem to explain why so many people's opinion of the US has seemed to plummit over the years. Or is this all just my imagination? fed by shows like the one i saw?
Dear Kramerman,

I would be willing to answer your question but I am sure my answer would upset you.
So for the time being I will only say that nearly all American tourists I have met in Europe were both intelligent and nice people.

Sincerely,

S.Kroeze
Old July 10, 2003, 17:45   #187
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 01:09
Paranoid but friendly (as long as you're pretty much like them).

Their leadership, on the other hand, ranges from bland to sociopathic.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 10, 2003, 17:55   #188
Kramerman
Prince

Re: Re: What is your opinion of the United States?
Quote:
Originally posted by S. Kroeze

Dear Kramerman,

I would be willing to answer your question but I am sure my answer would upset you.
So for the time being I will only say that nearly all American tourists I have met in Europe were both intelligent and nice people.

Sincerely,

S.Kroeze
so.

i wanna hear all opinions, dont worry if it upsets me or not
Old July 10, 2003, 19:18   #189
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 00:09
A powerful country with many good qualities, obviously looking after its own interests, but dragged down by a number of lamers (which vary depending on your political perspective), with a large mass of rather ignorant yet well-meaning fellows in the middle of it all.