Old July 6, 2003, 20:56   #1
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Icons.gif (bomb & scythe icon)
If I open Icons.gif there is a bomb icon and a scythe icon besides the disorder icon. What is the purpose of these icons?
Old July 7, 2003, 07:19   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I don't think they're used. All the image files are full of superfluous graphics.

In all likelihood they were used during the development stages of the game, but they decided not to use them, or the game changed so much that they became irrelevant.

E.g. maybe the scythe icon was originally used to depict a starving city.
Old July 7, 2003, 08:00   #3
sirsnuggles
Civilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 21:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think they put things like that in there (just like the alternate animals in the terrain1.gif), expressly so that adventurous people could change the look of their game 9if they so felt inclined). They are alternates for those who don't like the current graphics. I think Sid anticipated the making of scenarios and modpacks, and these interesting icons were the hint to civ2 players that things could indeed be changed.
Old July 9, 2003, 23:21   #4
Gravity Happens
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:12
How would one do that kind of thing? I mean, use new icons altogether. I've edited the icons for the cities and some of the units beyond recognition (hehe) but I don't konw how to use those "Modern Alt." icons and stuff.

PS: when editing icons, the background has the left and right sides grey triangles facing in. Change these to the same color as the pink triangles on the top and bottom or else you see the grey triangles on the icons in the game. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, just go see).

-Mark Twain
Old July 10, 2003, 06:27   #5
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gravity Happens
How would one do that kind of thing? I mean, use new icons altogether. I've edited the icons for the cities and some of the units beyond recognition (hehe) but I don't konw how to use those "Modern Alt." icons and stuff.
You can only use the modern alternative city style if you move it and paste it over one of the other 4.
Old July 10, 2003, 16:52   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:12
you can just do that in paint... the images should fit- if they don't then just copy the purple background and stick it around the gaps