Old July 9, 2003, 05:56   #121
Sikander
King

Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Maybe not, but it did eliminate much suffering and death caused by poverty in this country. People recieved a means to survival when they had none previously. The resources devoted are not sufficient to reduce poverty. If anything they actually increased it, because more poor are able to survive.
No it didn't. The fact is that by almost every measure the poor got poorer because of the war on poverty as well as an increase in other social pathologies for other reasons. The unintended consequences of the war on poverty were in fact larger than the intended consequences, and much longer lasting. Virtually all of the unintended consequences were negative.
Old July 9, 2003, 06:01   #122
Sikander
King

Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Rehab won't work for people who only see a life of poverty ahead of them, because it doesn't address the societal problem.
You don't know what you are talking about. Poor people want to quit being destructive a$$holes to their families as much as anyone else, and very few people are so emotionally debilitated by poverty alone that they are incapable of doing things to improve themselves. But addiction is hard to treat for people of any class, and excuses for why someone doesn't quit are a dime a dozen. Poverty is as compelling an excuse as any other, which is to say it is no excuse at all.
Old July 9, 2003, 09:26   #123
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Kid has to ask HOW his proposed system would be leeching off me? Amazing.

Let's see now....I go to work 14 hours a day, busting my a$$ six days a week, and Kid stays home and plays computer games and makes the same amount I do (no no....'scuse me, I get 5-10k more under his proposed plan), and yet....somehow.....as if by magic....there's no advantage-taking here? No leeching?

Truly laughable.

Truly.

You have said yourself many, many times, you don't wish to change the rules of the game, you wish to tear down the existing system entire and replace it with your own utopic vision (which, unsurprisingly--given your vision's roots--includes things like taking from those you deem "too wealthy" by force of arms, and introducing them to the gentle mercies of your modern day Gulags....but you're not doing anything wrong there, cos "everybody knows" that the rich have no souls, and can't really even be classed as human, right?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 9, 2003, 09:27   #124
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

PS: And you still never pointed out how what I posted was offensive....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 9, 2003, 17:36   #125
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
The Kid has to ask HOW his proposed system would be leeching off me? Amazing.

Let's see now....I go to work 14 hours a day, busting my a$$ six days a week, and Kid stays home and plays computer games and makes the same amount I do (no no....'scuse me, I get 5-10k more under his proposed plan), and yet....somehow.....as if by magic....there's no advantage-taking here? No leeching?

Truly laughable.

Truly.

You have said yourself many, many times, you don't wish to change the rules of the game, you wish to tear down the existing system entire and replace it with your own utopic vision (which, unsurprisingly--given your vision's roots--includes things like taking from those you deem "too wealthy" by force of arms, and introducing them to the gentle mercies of your modern day Gulags....but you're not doing anything wrong there, cos "everybody knows" that the rich have no souls, and can't really even be classed as human, right?

-=Vel=-

And the best part of it. After all the wealth of the souless upper class is squandered, no innovation and society stuck in an eternal rut. Now thats utopia or is it Dante's 7th level of hell. (hmmm......?)

And the topper is once the field is equal and everyone is dirt poor with no hope of advancement and bettering one's socio-economic situation, you can't even rely on the panacea that is religion to give you hope. Funny (in a very nonfunny) way how this bleak picture contrasts with Kid's doomsday scenarios of present day and the direct cause effect relationship of unemployment to suicide.

(Whoops did it again mentioned communism and suicide in the same post. Sorry )

Truly paradise.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; July 9, 2003 at 17:44.
Old July 9, 2003, 17:44   #126
Velociryx
staff

I'm votin' for that second choice....which is why IF the "glorious revolution" should ever come, I'll be lining up to fight tooth and nail against it.

The proposed cure is so much worse than the disease that it would be funny if not for the fact that people apparently take it so seriously.

-=Vel=-
(that would be like saying that the "only thing doctors can recommend to cure the common cold is to cut off your head.")

uh huh....