Old July 8, 2003, 06:38   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 07:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Rare resources
I wish there was a possibility to make RR's more rare... it seems like every RR's are avaliable in every map... twice...

I don't know about you, but this doesn't look rare to me...

I wish there was an option at the beginning, where you could set how many different RR's the should be in the game, and check an option if an RR should be able occur twice...
Old July 8, 2003, 10:54   #2
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:17
Rare resources don't occur twice near each other (as far as I know), and is player dependent (number of players/teams). If there are two of the same resource it was probably meant for the other team.
DarthVeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 13:15   #3
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 00:17
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Big deal, it's a game!
Old July 8, 2003, 13:27   #4
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Re: Rare resources
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I wish there was a possibility to make RR's more rare... it seems like every RR's are avaliable in every map... twice...

I don't know about you, but this doesn't look rare to me...

I wish there was an option at the beginning, where you could set how many different RR's the should be in the game, and check an option if an RR should be able occur twice...
Well, when they say 'rare resources,' it may mean that they are rare compared to the availability of timber, iron, etc.

I personally don't have a problem with the way it is now.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2003, 15:53   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
Rare resources don't occur twice near each other (as far as I know), and is player dependent (number of players/teams). If there are two of the same resource it was probably meant for the other team.
In my games there's always 8 players, 8 teams...
Old July 8, 2003, 18:16   #6
MattH
King

Local Time: 05:17
Is it correct that they are the same for both teams? That would really take a lot of strategy out.
Old July 8, 2003, 23:59   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:17
Speaking of which, are the effects of multiple similar rare resources cumulative? If one increases something by 20%, does having 2 of them increase it then by 40%?
Old July 9, 2003, 03:53   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:17
Okay, it seems that they aren't cumulative. I have 1 lot of amber and 2 lots of gems (each gives +10 to wealth) yet my wealth income is only +20.

Multiple RR's are useless! Useless, I tells you!!
Old July 9, 2003, 19:16   #9
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

They are cumulative. I had three papyrus once, and discount on science research was obsence. Also, on sea maps I grab as many whales as I can and can easily out run my opponents navy, allowing me to make invasions before they can react.

As for multiples appearing, I had those three papyrus all on our teams half of the map. OPne was located in a start area, one halway between two teammates, and the third towrds the middle of the map(but well on our side).

My worse RR map was an Arena East vs West that had 2 RRs on each side, plus around ten whales.
Old July 9, 2003, 19:33   #10
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
I think Map type has something to do with it too
Old July 15, 2003, 02:48   #11
Sean
Prince

I am pretty sure there is an option to make the resources rarer....
Old July 15, 2003, 06:33   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Haven't found that option yet...
Old July 15, 2003, 09:17   #13
Azrikam
Chieftain

Surely if RoN hasn't got a map editor (at work so I can't check), one will be available in a future patch/expansion, right?

That would sort out any rare resources issues, because you could create your own maps or edit existing ones.
Azrikam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2003, 09:54   #14
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

It has a map editor, but I don't like it, since I prefer to be supprised by the map, not knowing what it looks like before you start playing it...