Old July 8, 2003, 22:41   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Stepping Down from the Hive
Due to recent information I have recieved, I am no longer fit to play the ACDG as it would give certain factions a (dis)advantage.

But dont worry, I'll still hand around the AC-Democracy forums
Old July 8, 2003, 22:56   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

An honourable move Tass. Perhaps, after his work on the CNN in ACDG 1, we might be able to give Tass the job of Official Historian? Like Trip in the PtW ACDG? Just an idea, what do others (especially Tass) think?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old July 8, 2003, 23:09   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
An honourable move Tass. Perhaps, after his work on the CNN in ACDG 1, we might be able to give Tass the job of Official Historian? Like Trip in the PtW ACDG? Just an idea, what do others (especially Tass) think?
I'd love that.
Old July 8, 2003, 23:51   #4
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I agree. We are proud of you Tass for being honest and truthful for the spirit of the game.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 9, 2003, 01:29   #5
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 15:20
Just make sure it is funny Tass. A dull list of events makes not good reading.
Old July 9, 2003, 01:39   #6
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:20
If factions are agreeable I could deputize Tass as an Assistant God

(Assistant God anagrams to Tass isn't a God, BTW)

Very helpful when I'm on vacation, and generally another head to bounce ideas off - I could share the starting map and passwords with him, and while he's writing the Official History of ACDG-2 I can continue with my View from Above Progenitors' angle.

What do others think (and Tass, especially)????

G.
Old July 9, 2003, 01:50   #7
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie
If factions are agreeable I could deputize Tass as an Assistant God

Quote:
(Assistant God anagrams to Tass isn't a God, BTW)
(For now. Once I become assistant...)

Quote:
Very helpful when I'm on vacation, and generally another head to bounce ideas off - I could share the starting map and passwords with him, and while he's writing the Official History of ACDG-2 I can continue with my View from Above Progenitors' angle.

What do others think (and Tass, especially)????

G.
Yeah, definately!

Do you have any Online Instant Messengers?
Old July 9, 2003, 01:57   #8
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

i also want a dry version of history.
Old July 9, 2003, 01:58   #9
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Got my own chat room :

http://googlie2.tripod.com/spartanchronicles/id9.html

G.
Old July 9, 2003, 02:44   #10
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 00:20
Does one step down? from the Hive?

Is this related to the now imfamous 'Elias Howe Day Purge' of the Hive (actually conducted over 3 days and known by some as '3 Days in July') that Googlie proclaimed in the Turn Thread? Apparently it takes three days to edit out all of Tass's posts and all references to Tass from the ACDG areas (and we can all only imagine how many posts Tass made in the internal Hive forum). After this, Tass will not exist in the ACDG forum and will never have existed. Long live Tass!

Unfortunately (or fortunately if you prefer), much of this post will not exist either.

Wasn't Tass another 'news' organ, a counterpart to Pravda in the USSR? Like one was the government thing and the other the party?

Last edited by johndmuller; July 9, 2003 at 02:50.
Old July 9, 2003, 03:20   #11
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
Wasn't Tass another 'news' organ, a counterpart to Pravda in the USSR? Like one was the government thing and the other the party?
Itar-Tass is what your thinking about

And..hmm.....I could write the history in 3 forms:

1. News Organization ("Today, President Drogue and Chairman Voltaire announced that they would be exchanging reproduction technology. The deal, nicknamed 'The Claire Forlani Exchange', would be ratified by the Peoples Assembly Council of the Human Hive and the Blahblah Council of the Cybernetic Conciousness tomorrow.")
2. Progressive Story ("Die.....Ugh...." Said Forman Whatshisname, as his jet-black weapon was pryed from his cold, dead fingers.")
3. Bibleish ("And the Lord Drogue came down forth from the fields of Droguesville, and embraced Mistress Forlani.")
4. Boring history ("Year 4092606 - University Builds Moscow. Year 4092607 -Chairman Voltaire steps down as Chairman of the Human Hive.")
5. Some odd combination of it all

Which would be best? Which do the PEOPLE prefer?
Old July 9, 2003, 04:05   #12
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Quote:
1. News Organization ("Today, President Drogue and Chairman Voltaire announced that they would be exchanging reproduction technology. The deal, nicknamed 'The Claire Forlani Exchange', would be ratified by the Peoples Assembly Council of the Human Hive and the Blahblah Council of the Cybernetic Conciousness tomorrow.")
After much pestering from Tass I will have to go with one, but all of them sound good...
Old July 9, 2003, 09:46   #13
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

No Tass you have to write in at least two styles. Giving up 4 of the 5 ways of us benefiting from your creativity is too great of a loss. Did you think being an assistant god is an easy job? You don't normally sleep anyway, do you?

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 9, 2003, 12:15   #14
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:20
Quote:
Due to recent information I have recieved, I am no longer fit to play the ACDG as it would give certain factions a (dis)advantage.
Quote:
An honourable move Tass.
Quote:
I agree. We are proud of you Tass for being honest and truthful for the spirit of the game.
Quote:
Does one step down? from the Hive?
Is this related to the now imfamous 'Elias Howe Day Purge' of the Hive (actually conducted over 3 days and known by some as '3 Days in July') that Googlie proclaimed in the Turn Thread? Apparently it takes three days to edit out all of Tass's posts and all references to Tass from the ACDG areas (and we can all only imagine how many posts Tass made in the internal Hive forum). After this, Tass will not exist in the ACDG forum and will never have existed. Long live Tass!
Am I the only one who doesn't understand at all what's going on and why?
Old July 9, 2003, 12:20   #15
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Nope-- I have no idea either except for the things you quoted
Old July 9, 2003, 12:25   #16
Snowflake
Princess

My understanding is that Comrade Tass somehow stumbled upon some insider knowledge that could benefit or harm certain factions. Being truthful to the spirit of the game he decided that he will not participate the ACDG as a Hiver so that the Hive will not benefit from his knowlege. (Not that we wouldn't like that considering the Hive's position on the power graph. But we Hivers consider our honor much more than our lives.)

As for the "3 days in July", it is mere speculations...

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 9, 2003, 15:05   #17
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Today, President Drogue and Chairman Voltaire announced that they would be exchanging reproduction technology. The deal, nicknamed 'The Claire Forlani Exchange', would be ratified by the Peoples Assembly Council of the Human Hive and the Blahblah Council of the Cybernetic Conciousness tomorrow.

Quote:
And the Lord Drogue came down forth from the fields of Droguesville, and embraced Mistress Forlani.

Quote:
5. Some odd combination of it all
I'd have to go for this. Part News (1), part Bibl-like (3) and a little of the story style (2). Basically, write some as each. Some can be as a story (like the view from above) and some can be as a newsletter to be published after, with story and Bible-like parts in it

Old July 9, 2003, 22:24   #18
Googlie
Emperor

Maniac, Flubber, et al:

In prosecuting his duties as a loyal Hive citizen, Tass stumbled over an in-game mechanism that I have been able to duplicate. It should prolly be covered in some future set of PBEM generally accepted rules (but I have not seen it to date, and (obviously) was unaware of its existence.

Analogous (but not exactly the same) as being able to read in-game commlink exchanges through a simple word program (which is why all such exchanges should be conducted by e-mail or via Private message), it gave Tass knowledge regarding all the other factions - such knowledge being not generally available at this point in the game.

As I said, I have been able to replicate this.

Without revealing what knowledge he has gained (except to me) Tass has voluntarily withdrawn from the Hive's deliberations.

As I see it, we have 3 options:

> Ban Tass completely from all further activities in ACDG-2. I think this is harsh and unwarranted, given that other options are available

> Empower all factions to perform the Tass Manoeuvre and let him remain with the Hive This option would have the effect of throwing the game somewhat out-of-kilter at these crucial times, and unnecessary, given that a 3rd option is available

> Raise Tass to my right hand, and round out his knowledge by having him as my alter ego, able to act in any capacity that I can act in, but mandated with the official history of the game This is my preferred alternative, as it maintains Tass' interests in the game, and doesn't punish him for an inadvertent stumbling over a game mechanics item that any one of us could have done

Obviously, I will abide by the will of the players, but my strong advocacy of Option 3 should, I think, set minds at ease that indeed Tass has done the honourable thing and I would count myself priveleged to work with him in this expanded capacity as joint overseer - and historian - of the game.

Googlie
Old July 9, 2003, 23:47   #19
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie
> Ban Tass completely from all further activities in ACDG-2. I think this is harsh and unwarranted, given that other options are available

Quote:
> Empower all factions to perform the Tass Manoeuvre and let him remain with the Hive This option would have the effect of throwing the game somewhat out-of-kilter at these crucial times, and unnecessary, given that a 3rd option is available

Yep. Because I know what I know....well, the Hive would gain a CONSIDERABLE advantage. I prefer the third option as it does not unbalance the game.

Quote:
> Raise Tass to my right hand, and round out his knowledge by having him as my alter ego,
You mean...I would....become....one with YOU?!

Gladly! Though you know this would mean you would suffer from DID? Are you sure you wish to do this, Googlie?
Old July 9, 2003, 23:55   #20
Googlie
Emperor

LOL

DID = Diety in Duplicate ???

(and we could sign ourselves GT, thereby further confusing everyone)
Old July 9, 2003, 23:58   #21
Snowflake
Princess

lol
Please do not, my GooglieGod.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 10, 2003, 15:01   #22
Drogue
staff

Googlie: Have PMed you, as there was some sensitive information in there.

Old July 10, 2003, 15:26   #23
Chaunk
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

If this "Tass Manouver" is one that could be used in all PBEMs then I'd rather not know. It'd be annoying knowing I'd have to do something to find out more information than I should (If I've understood correctly) in order to keep a level playing field.

On that basis, although I'd prefer that Tass not be made equal to Googlie, a historian would be a good position. Is that what the position entails or am I going loopy?

And why do we have 2 polls for the same thing currently?

C ß-5
Old July 10, 2003, 15:55   #24
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaunk
If this "Tass Manouver" is one that could be used in all PBEMs then I'd rather not know. It'd be annoying knowing I'd have to do something to find out more information than I should (If I've understood correctly) in order to keep a level playing field.
Yep. And it would completly unbalance the game. Because then one person could, say, hack the SAV file and find out the locations, and EVERYTHING about EVERY faction. Complete game wrecker, IMO.

Quote:
On that basis, although I'd prefer that Tass not be made equal to Googlie, a historian would be a good position. Is that what the position entails or am I going loopy?
Well, in order to be historiann...I have to have access to each faction Don't worry though. I wont be able to close polls or anything like that. Just viewing and writing.

[QYITE] And why do we have 2 polls for the same thing currently?

C ß-5 [/QUOTE]

Currently they are not for the same thing. One is to ratfiy myself for Godhood, and the other presents other options.

The one with 3 options is the current valid one, as the votes for the first one have been discarded.
Old July 10, 2003, 16:58   #25
Googlie
Emperor

I guess there is a 4th option now that I have bowed to pressure to disclose the Tass Manoeuver (and which Maniac dismisses as No biggie - it's only useful for the first few tuens)

That fourth option would be for a temporary ban from the game until all factions know each others' starting locations - that way the knowledge inadvertently gained would become stale-dated

G.
Old July 10, 2003, 17:17   #26
Snowflake
Princess

Sound like a valid option to me. It means a sacrifice on Comrade Tass's part. But it does mean minimum costs to others. Although now everybody knows about the manoeuver. I only hope that every one of us has the courage to be truthful to the game as what Comrade Tass showed to us.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 10, 2003, 17:30   #27
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:20
Perhaps a bit in contradiction with my previous posts about Tassadar before I knew his "offense" but:

Don't ban Tassadar!!
Old July 10, 2003, 17:38   #28
Googlie
Emperor

Well ..... what to do ????

There is resistance to giving him CMN-type powers

There is resistance to giving him private-forum access powers

There is resistance to banning him, albeit temporarily

There is resistance to having every faction employ the manoeuvre

Is there any resistance to continuing as if nothing has happened, and let the Hive gain what it can from this knowledge?

G
Old July 10, 2003, 17:52   #29
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 06:20
Let him play w/ the Hive. They've already proved they can deal with the inside info honorably.
Old July 10, 2003, 17:55   #30
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 00:20
How about continuing with Tass in the Hive and depending upon his much-touted honor not to reveal anything untoward?

If he can do that, some redemption might be found in the eyes of the distrustful. If he cannot, only small harm will be done.