Old July 11, 2003, 10:59   #61
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
Just get rid of all adjectives and all nouns but proper nouns. Then our ability to insult someone will drop to zero, as will our ability to communicate.
Oh we still have verbs and pronouns.

"You suck, die!"
"I laugh you. "
"You go hide. "
"He jumps."

Grapefruit Garden

Last edited by Snowflake; July 11, 2003 at 11:48.
Old July 11, 2003, 11:29   #62
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 05:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
"Harry Seldon hates you!"
"Harry Seldon will kill you!"
"Harry Seldon humps your Mother!"
Old July 11, 2003, 11:32   #63
Venom
Chieftain

Am I too late on this one? What about the word niggardly, if used in the proper manner of course. Such as "I attempted to bribe the police with a niggardly sum of 2 dollars."?

I think it shouldn't be blocked. And it of course isn't blocked, and should remain so.
Old July 11, 2003, 11:40   #64
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 22:20
If you attempt to bribe the police with that little you'll be more than just blocked.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 11, 2003, 11:42   #65
Venom
Chieftain

Some cops are cheap.
Old July 11, 2003, 15:24   #66
badams52
King

Local Time: 21:20
I'm surpised more of you on this board aren't up to speed with all the slang/derogatory terms for white people. I guess honkey is kind of old, I last heard it in The Jefferson's, but I was quite aware of the n-word, cracker and honkey before dissident started ranting about censoring them.

Of course the easiest solution would be for dissident to just report to the mods any "uncivil" use of the term "cracker."

If someone uses an offensive term, but the target doesn't find it offensive, is it still an insult?
Old July 11, 2003, 16:17   #67
geeslaka
Prince

No. Therefore nothing said to me is an insult.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 11, 2003, 17:39   #68
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52

Of course the easiest solution would be for dissident to just report to the mods any "uncivil" use of the term "cracker."
But that would mean dissident wouldn't get +1s.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 12, 2003, 02:43   #69
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

double post (the first post didn't appear to go through- I got the error page)
Old July 12, 2003, 02:44   #70
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

honkey isn't made up.

I'm not that old am I? it's an out of date derogatory term used against whites. Rarely used now days.

Some of you need to watch the Jeffersons Err wait, you guys probably never heard of that tv show.
Old July 12, 2003, 09:28   #71
geeslaka
Prince

I've have heard the term honkey and I knew it's meaning preiously. I nearly watched the Jeffersons once but I remembered that something I was more familiar with was on. So no, you're not that old.
XGalaga.
Old July 12, 2003, 16:32   #72
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:20
Quote:
If someone uses an offensive term, but the target doesn't find it offensive, is it still an insult?
Nope.

That's the beauty of the attitude, it makes the other debater look bad for resorting to ad-hominem, plus he fails in provoking you.

As for Honky, I've heard of the term before, but I doubt any of my friends have.
Old July 12, 2003, 16:44   #73
geeslaka
Prince

Yeah, people are woefully undereducated when it comes to name calling.
XGalaga.
Old July 13, 2003, 09:28   #74
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
it's great when you're korean. jap and chink don't work, and these days gooks refers more to se asia than korea.
Old July 13, 2003, 10:26   #75
geeslaka
Prince

Before you said it I didn't know which race the term gook referred to.
XGalaga.
Old July 13, 2003, 14:56   #76
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

what I find interesting is mankinds need to make up words. gook isn't a word, someone had to make that up.

It's times like these, I believe racism is inherant to the human race. There is no getting rid of it.
Old July 13, 2003, 19:31   #77
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

by the way.

some of you may have heard the term honkey in the James Bond movie: Live and Let Die. Anyone who is a James Bond fan should have seen this movie. It has the wonderful Jane Seymour in it.

It's also regarded as the most racist of the Bond movies . A lot of people balked at the fact that black people are the bad guys. And they use terms like "You got a honkey on your tail"- referring to James Bond of course.

And the movie is on TNN right now
Old July 13, 2003, 19:50   #78
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

Local Time: 01:20
what does "honkey" means?
Old July 13, 2003, 20:13   #79
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Much as caucasians have their own derogatory labels for the African race, an old term I believe to be mostly of African-American use for the derogatory labelling of caucasians is "honkey".

(I hope I didn't say anything that might be politically incorrect...
Old July 13, 2003, 20:27   #80
Chilean President™
Deity

ah ok, thanks mrmitchell

well if someone tell me honkey when I'll get to the US I'll punch him in the face

j/k

I find interesting the 'politically correct' terms that you guys use. For example (and I hope not offend any body) in Chile we do not have people of colour, so we commonly use the word 'black' to refer them, and I know that over there the proper term is 'afro-american', as native american for what we call here 'indians'. But when I got really surprise was when I met a (white) American that was in bussiness here and a friend of me ask him for something about 'white people' and he got really mad cause he said that the term 'white' was racist... and I didn't get it, well after all we are also white and we call ourselves white people.

Well, I think that's because Americans are more use to find people of different races, that's why you have so many 'politically correct terms'.

good for you
Old July 13, 2003, 21:02   #81
geeslaka
Prince

We have so many 'politically correct' terms because of idiots that look for any excuse they can think of to be offended and get angry.
XGalaga.
Old July 13, 2003, 21:19   #82
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
and he got really mad cause he said that the term 'white' was racist...
He was a nut. No one here uses "caucasian" in every day speech; "African American" is a distant second to "black" really. I was exxagerating for effect. sorry
Old July 13, 2003, 21:22   #83
Chilean President™
Deity

Quote:
He was a nut.

Quote:
sorry
don't worry
And I actually use the word 'black' on english and not the word on spanish 'cause I know that, that word is offensive.
Old July 13, 2003, 21:40   #84
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

negro? It's a perfectly legitimate spanish word to describe the color of something.
Old July 13, 2003, 22:23   #85
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Did anyone actually get around to giving the origin of "cracker" as a slur?

It's a shortening of "whip cracker", i.e., "slaver". So we're being called slavers. Specifically, it refers to the plantation foremen who used the whip liberally.

I'll see what I can find on "honkey".
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 13, 2003, 22:40   #86
Q Classic
Emperor

gook isn't an american word.

the origins of it came from the korean war, when koreans would ask soldiers if they were americans-- "mi.guk(.sa.ram)" is the word, but the americans obviously had no idea what they were saying and so shot them (or not, as the case may be).

'course, since they had no idea that it should have referred to them, they used it to refer to the koreans, at least until vietnam came along, when the word was redefined to its current definition, which refers to the vietnamese.

Last edited by Q Classic; July 13, 2003 at 22:46.
Old July 13, 2003, 22:41   #87
geeslaka
Prince

So apparently the idea that it doesn't matter where you come from only applies to people and not to words.
XGalaga.
Old July 13, 2003, 22:59   #88
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:20
If while sitting at the bar, some nigger comes up to me and calls me a cracker I am likely to say "G'Day Mate, would you like a beer?"

Then after 10 or so beers we will be laughing at all the different names we can call each other.

Yes i am trying to be funny and not to offend for you childish morons who would take offence

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 14, 2003, 03:12   #89
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
If while sitting at the bar, some nigger comes up to me and calls me a cracker I am likely to say "G'Day Mate, would you like a beer?"

Then after 10 or so beers we will be laughing at all the different names we can call each other.

Yes i am trying to be funny and not to offend for you childish morons who would take offence
I almost didn't believe a friend of mine when he told me about such things in Oz. His term was 'black fella'. Apparently, not too many people are too hung up on language. I still haven't figured out if that is a good thing. But hey, if it works down under, not mine to judge.
Old July 14, 2003, 06:14   #90
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:20
Sounds normal to me.