Old August 4, 2003, 15:11   #31
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by jianye3

a lot of players here advertise really high tech ships. that is good. i personally think that the sooner you fight, the more fun the game is... further, the more lives you will save of those in your empire. also, having a fleet can help you defend yourself. also, hit the enemy soon, and you make huge leaps in technology with a few ground fights that would have taken you possibly hundreds of years to develop on your own.

that being said... i find it no fun and wasteful to build ships are with ion cannons, anything with retro engines... those fleets can fight maybe for a little while. but they won't defend you forever. and eventually, they will be mauled by the enemy. so... i only hvae fleets at two points in the game. one is less than 10 turns into the game (which i described above). and the other is when i am READY to fight.

and once i am ready to fight, my fleet and empire will keep fighting and fighting. (more to come)
I have no problem with any style you enjoy. I would only point out that the Klacs are poor researchers on propulsion and tend to not get engines early in the game. You could sit a long time waiting for a new engine to show up in the build list. Retros are hate ful, but until you get better, what can you do? This is part of the reason I wait for HEF.
By and large the later guns are better. I prefer autoblasters and other multi fire guns, but that is a long way off.
I tend to not go on offensive until I get HEF. That does not mean I will never jump on an opportunity, but it is hard to see any need to break out before then.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2003, 17:50   #32
vmxa1
Deity

jianye3

What is the game setup you are using for that tactic? I want to try it and see if I like it better. I can tell you that in a larger galaxy at impossible there is dam little fun. Turn after turn of attacks. Of it is my own fault as I tend to not make any ships to attack with, but then they will have 30 missile bases on all of their planets, but the latest ones, so it is hard to crack them.
It seems that Klacs seldom get good bombs.
Old August 5, 2003, 07:47   #33
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 22:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
jianye3

What is the game setup you are using for that tactic? I want to try it and see if I like it better. I can tell you that in a larger galaxy at impossible there is dam little fun. Turn after turn of attacks. Of it is my own fault as I tend to not make any ships to attack with, but then they will have 30 missile bases on all of their planets, but the latest ones, so it is hard to crack them.
It seems that Klacs seldom get good bombs.
had that prob before. that's when I used the strat guide and built archers. Huge ships with lots and lots of missiles. You attack a planet, and if your missiles are fast enough, you can get them both to hit before you warp out. probably can even warp out without getting hit yourself, but if you do get hit, hopefully your ship has enough hits to not lose one.

The process is, attack planet, fire both your missiles at the planet and then retreat. ignore the other ships, as they hopefully won't get within shooting range of you before you leave. time your retreat so that both your missiles will hit the planet before you warp out, taking out a base or two. THEN, on the main map, as your ships are retreating, return them to the same world, and they will attack again the next turn. you can keep doing this and wear them down as long as you keep destroying bases. if you don't destroy any bases during your volleys, pack up and go home, you don't have the firepower.

Of course, to do this, you really should be ahead in missile tech, which will help your own bases, too. some people recommend focusing on missile tech at the expense of being behind in all other techs, since they can then get techs when they invade after the bases go down.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Father Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2003, 13:23   #34
vmxa1
Deity

That is a hard strat for Klacs as they seem to not have that mch luck in the missile tree.
You need to wait until you have a missile that can travel to the planet from the far side of the screen. The bases can always reach all the way across the the battle map.
I have had that tactic touted before, but find it is not all that effect for Klacs. You can often get the first planet you go for, but it is not long before it is not effective.
At least tat is what I have seen at impossible.
Maybe I did not build enough ships or something.
So far the best method for me is to turtle until I get HEF and then go on a build up. I will have 2-4 ships being made non stop and changes designs from time to time.
I choose to not go into total mobilization, but you could.