Old July 12, 2003, 01:59   #91
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
And for good reason.
Yep, I'm a big moron. I couldn't possibly hang with Asher in a debate, because I'm just a ignorant person, little more than the buzzing of flies when compared to the mightiest intellect in Calgary. It's not that I don't want to debate with Glonk; I'm too scared to debate him, as I'll surely be embarassed in the face of his overwhelming logic. Thank you, God, for allowing me the chance to bathe in the edifying light that is Asher before I die. You are indeed a noble and just Creator.
Old July 12, 2003, 02:01   #92
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 23:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Yep, I'm a big moron. I couldn't possibly hang with Asher in a debate, because I'm just a ignorant person, little more than the buzzing of flies when compared to the mightiest intellect in Calgary. It's not that I don't want to debate with Glonk; I'm too scared to debate him, as I'll surely be embarassed in the face of his overwhelming logic. Thank you, God, for allowing me the chance to bathe in the edifying light that is Asher before I die. You are indeed a noble and just Creator.
Just my luck you finally make some sense at the end of the thread.

And for the record, if I were a tool, I'd be a powerdrill. Rawr!!!!
Old July 12, 2003, 02:07   #93
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 00:24
ratchets are better than powerdrills.
Old July 12, 2003, 02:08   #94
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

But when you say you "ratchet" someone...what does that mean?
Old July 12, 2003, 02:13   #95
Q Classic
Emperor

it means you grab a hold of them, and then you use a clever means of changing up and down force into torque...twisting, and twisting, and twisting...
Old July 12, 2003, 02:15   #96
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

What about a jackhammer?
Old July 12, 2003, 02:17   #97
Q Classic
Emperor

no elegance at all. you take it, power it up, and smash away repeatedly.
Old July 12, 2003, 02:20   #98
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

And there's something wrong with that?
Old July 12, 2003, 03:13   #99
Q Classic
Emperor

of course. a ratchet has all the elegance of transforming the direction of force. a jackhamer just does one thing, no real change.

Old July 12, 2003, 04:47   #100
Sikander
King

Local Time: 22:24
Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
i hear steve jobs has herpes
He got it from Brittany Spears. She swears she doesn't know where she got it, but later that night placed a tearful call to Nebraska.
Old July 12, 2003, 05:05   #101
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Old July 12, 2003, 12:29   #102
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

You've never posted an argument, you've always been the homosexual cheerleader slapping Agathon's ass in debates.
You're pathetic Asher. Why bring me into this? You stalk me on the internet, you must be obsessed with me.

Quote:
And Agathon goes on and on about things he doesn't understand, like Fitts' Law.
Rubbish. I understand that perfectly well. It so happens that a consequence of Fitts' Law invalidates your position. Of course you ranted and raved about this, but it's common sense. What's even funnier is that in an attempt to show me you were right you linked to a site which claimed exactly what I'd said. After that it was impossible to take you seriously.

Quote:
He even claims my complaints about OS X' GUI were "invalid", but the second Apple addresses them in OS 10.3 they're suddenly very welcome changes!
Where did I say that? I merely pointed out to you that your complaints about selecting windows in Mac OS X are invalid. The Mac OS doesn't have fullscreen mode for Windows and so doesn't need the same kind of switch function. The new expose feature is a prettier way of doing something that you can already do in OS X using the dock.

All that's new about it is that you have an option not to select Windows per application (although you can do that) but display all open Windows. XP can't do that for more than about 3 or four windows unless you make the taskbar huge and ugly. Of course only interface curmudgeons would worry too much about this.

Quote:
Apple users like Macs because:
  • "They're purty"
  • They're what they're used to
  • They buy into the psychological bull that higher price = better quality
  • The primary reason is that they like the Mac OS and dislike the garish, tasteless and poorly designed Windows interface.

Quote:
    The crap about them being faster, or even better, are complete bull and are easily debunkable.
    As someone pointed out, they are infinitely better for running Apple software. And there can't be that much wrong with Apple software since MS keeps copying it. I see that Longhorn will contain an iphoto ripoff.

The fact is Asher, that the only easily debunkable person on this topic is you. You are really easy to beat. All that a person has to do is bide their time until you post some ridiculous over the top claim or when you link to some site that contradicts you in a misguided attempt to prove your point. Your computer knowledge counts for nil in these cases because it isn't accompanied by a sense of reasonableness. Witness the G5 debate. Most people in the press said, well these specs are perhaps doubtful but we'll have to wait and use the G5 with real apps to see how well it performs. That commonsense statement was agreed to in every article I read on the topic - in fact all reasonable people agreed, except you.

You'll notice that I never debate overly techie stuff, since one doesn't need to, to show you up for the dishonest fanatic that you are.

Quote:
    If Apple users stick to the emotional side of the debate more often I'd agree with them.
    The only one that's emotional here is you. If anyone says anything you don't like you immediately go mental and start posting abusive statements. No one on Apolyton resorts to scornful remarks as quickly as you. I'm starting to think you are mentally ill, since you seem to invest so much more emotion in these issues than everyone else - and that's just crazy.

I and the others participate in these discussions for fun. Only in your case does it seem to be a fanatical religious duty.

Quote:
    Yet you still participate in the threads, doubling as a cheerleader for the people making tremendously stupid arguments and someone who pops his head up and flames.
    He participates because you talk bollocks. Apple doesn't want people pirating their dock - which they paid for when they bought NeXT. The Dock is the most obvious feature of OS X and identifies that OS in the same way that the Windows logo identifies Windows. They don't want to set a precedent of tolerance so that other people can rip it off. That's all that's happened here.

And lastly, it's hard to see what reason Apple would have to listen to your complaints; a person who doesn't buy any of their products and doesn't like them. Although you'll install a rip-off freeware version of an Apple product that you slagged off at length in other threads.

Don't bother replying.
    Old July 12, 2003, 13:38   #103
    Mr. Nice Guy
    Mac
    Warlord

IMHO, Asher, you need phsycological help. 'Nuff said.
    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
    Old July 12, 2003, 14:12   #104
    Agathon
    Mac
    Emperor

Local Time: 14:24
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Cloud9
    IMHO, Asher, you need phsycological help. 'Nuff said.
    And a shrink.
    Old July 12, 2003, 14:41   #105
    Mr. Nice Guy
    Mac
    Warlord

Quote:
    Originally posted by Agathon

And a shrink.
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Better yet, why don't you also get away from Poly for awhile, Asher, as I did awhile back. Yeah, take some time off to rethink your ideas. It will make you feel better when you come back. As for how long: I was away for several months; you should stay away for as long it takes you to reach sanity once again. Oh, and by the way, any shrink would most likely tell you the same thing. Trust me. I've been there.
    "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
    For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
    Old July 12, 2003, 15:15   #106
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

You three would make an excellent remake of the Three Stooges.

"You need psychological help!"
    "And a shrink!"

Let's face it, Apple doesn't get hurt by a small free program by an Asian student which merely emulates the appearance of the dock on PCs, while not emulating the functionality.

Anyone who is trying to rationalize their decision, or go a bit farther than that like Agathon and Cloud9 have done, are the ones that need help.

Apple is being a bunch of tw*ts, litigious tw*ts. I'm sorry if the reality of this shatters your wet dream, but there's no reason to make asses of yourselves over it.

And for the record, I did have a shrink for a while. He says I'm perfectly healthy, hence why I haven't seen him in ages.
    Old July 12, 2003, 15:48   #107
    optimus2861
    Chieftain

Quote:
    An example of MS using a monopoly to kill off "superior" competition would be MS using IE to "kill off" Netscape 4.x. But, the problem with this of course, is Netscape 4.x sucks royal ass, Netscape didn't have a new product out for ages, and Netscape is still around.
    Yeah, after all, what do all those US district attorneys and judges know about anti-trust law? They shouldn't have found Microsoft guilty of anti-competitive behaviour in violation of said anti-trust laws, they should have shaken their hands for being "benevolent" enough to not drive Netscape completely bankrupt .
    "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
    Old July 12, 2003, 15:51   #108
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    Originally posted by optimus2861
    Yeah, after all, what do all those US district attorneys and judges know about anti-trust law? They shouldn't have found Microsoft guilty of anti-competitive behaviour in violation of said anti-trust laws, they should have shaken their hands for being "benevolent" enough to not drive Netscape completely bankrupt .
    Nobody said they weren't found guilty.

They simply weren't really punished because the whole trial was a huge f*ckup thanks to a horrible judge.

MS was found guilty for the same thing Apple does 10 times worse, the thing is Apple is so bad at it they have a patheitc marketshare and hence aren't going to be charged with anti-trust crap.
    Old July 12, 2003, 16:18   #109
    Mr. Nice Guy
    Mac
    Warlord

Quote:
    You three would make an excellent remake of the Three Stooges.

"You need psychological help!"
    "And a shrink!"

Let's face it, Apple doesn't get hurt by a small free program by an Asian student which merely emulates the appearance of the dock on PCs, while not emulating the functionality.

Anyone who is trying to rationalize their decision, or go a bit farther than that like Agathon and Cloud9 have done, are the ones that need help.

Apple is being a bunch of tw*ts, litigious tw*ts. I'm sorry if the reality of this shatters your wet dream, but there's no reason to make asses of yourselves over it.
    Now you're going into denial. How typical.

This is not about your attitude towards Apple, Asher. It's about your attitude towards people who disagree with your points of view. I know how you are. You wish everyone in the world were exactly like you. Well, I've got news for you: If we were all the same the world would be a very boring place.

Quote:
    And for the record, I did have a shrink for a while. He says I'm perfectly healthy, hence why I haven't seen him in ages.
    Haven't seen him in ages, eh? Ages can change a man. You need to see a shrink, again.
    Old July 12, 2003, 16:22   #110
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    Now you're going into denial. How typical.
    Denial about what, sensei?

Quote:
    This is not about your attitude towards Apple, Asher. It's about your attitude towards people who disagree with your points of view. I know how you are. You wish everyone in the world were exactly like you. Well, I've got news for you: If we were all the same the world would be a very boring place.
    I've no problem with people who disagree with me but can form arguments. I really don't like people who disagree with me and use bullshit arguments and red herrings and strawmen incessently...

Example: My best friend, IRL, is a German-born guy my age who is a diehard Mac user and total leftie. He's still an awesome guy, and we get along great. The reason being is he knows how to debate. When asked why he uses Macs, he simply replies "Because I like them.". That's all he needs to say, and I understand and respect it.

It's the Mac users who start saying stuff like "Oh it's the FASTEST" and "Oh it's the BEST" that annoy me, and him. He also hates Apple's legal and marketing team, FYI.

Quote:
    Haven't seen him in ages, eh? Ages can change a man. You need to see a shrink, again.
    Nah, I'm all good.

I reserve the right to make fun of people who make ridiculous arguments, I don't need to see a shrink for that.
    Old July 12, 2003, 16:26   #111
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Cloud9, I'm still waiting for your reply in the NASA G5 thread. You said you were going to write one, but never did. All you kept doing is asking for my GPA and proof of it.
    Old July 12, 2003, 16:40   #112
    Mr. Nice Guy
    Mac
    Warlord

Quote:
    I've no problem with people who disagree with me but can form arguments. I really don't like people who disagree with me and use bullshit arguments and red herrings and strawmen incessently...
    It's not our points of view that matters. It's how you respond to them by insulting people who disagree with you. That's not normal behavior.

Quote:
    I reserve the right to make fun of people who make ridiculous arguments, I don't need to see a shrink for that.
    Make fun of people? Asher, grow up! That's grade school stupidity. You're in college and shouldn't be acting like a child anymore. And yes, you do need to see a shrink.
    Old July 12, 2003, 16:42   #113
    Mr. Nice Guy
    Mac
    Warlord

Quote:
    Cloud9, I'm still waiting for your reply in the NASA G5 thread. You said you were going to write one, but never did. All you kept doing is asking for my GPA and proof of it.
    I don't recall this. Please point out the post.
    Old July 12, 2003, 16:54   #114
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    It's not our points of view that matters. It's how you respond to them by insulting people who disagree with you. That's not normal behavior.

Make fun of people? Asher, grow up! That's grade school stupidity. You're in college and shouldn't be acting like a child anymore. And yes, you do need to see a shrink.
    I can respond however I want for entertainment purposes. It's the only way to salvage the time I wasted reading your crap.

If you don't like people mocking your stupidity, try being less stupid in the future.
    Old July 12, 2003, 16:55   #115
    Boris Godunov
    Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
    Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
    Hey, just for shits and giggles, remember this thread, Asher?

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

Old July 12, 2003, 16:56   #116
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    I don't recall this. Please point out the post.
    Certainly.
    Quote:
    Asher:

First of all, I don't see any consistencies in your arguments. I'll explain later.
    (you never did)

Quote:
    I mean like, what's your GPA? And can you prove your GPA?
    Old July 12, 2003, 16:57   #117
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    Hey, just for shits and giggles, remember this thread, Asher?

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

A true classic!
    Old July 12, 2003, 17:39   #118
    Mr. Nice Guy
    Mac
    Warlord

Quote:

I can respond however I want for entertainment purposes. It's the only way to salvage the time I wasted reading your crap.

If you don't like people mocking your stupidity, try being less stupid in the future.
    Oh, now I remember. Someone mentioned not too long ago that you are taking drugs and you actually confirmed it.

That's makes total sense. This kind of behavior that you display is typical of someone who is under the influence of drugs and possibly even alcohol. And the fact that you deny that you need help makes you even more incriminating.

I pray that someday you find help, Asher. Perhaps it will take an eventual arrest, and if that's what it takes then so be it. Better to be arrested than to throw your life away on drugs. I pray that someday you will be admitted an AA program (or a Canadian equivalent).

Until then, there's no point in arguing with someone who is on drugs. For that reason, I'm putting you on ignore until you shape up your life. And you can forget about me replying to that 'NASA' thread.

Don't bother replying.
    Old July 12, 2003, 17:44   #119
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    Oh, now I remember. Someone mentioned not too long ago that you are taking drugs and you actually confirmed it.

That's makes total sense. This kind of behavior that you display is typical of someone who is under the influence of drugs and possibly even alcohol. And the fact that you deny that you need help makes you even more incriminating.
    Get off yourself, it's prescription medication.
    And when did I ever deny it?

Quote:
    I pray that someday you find help, Asher. Perhaps it will take an eventual arrest, and if that's what it takes then so be it. Better to be arrested than to throw your life away on drugs. I pray that someday you will be admitted an AA program (or a Canadian equivalent).

Until then, there's no point in arguing with someone who is on drugs. For that reason, I'm putting you on ignore until you shape up your life. And you can forget about me replying to that 'NASA' thread.

Don't bother replying.

"ARREST THAT MAN, HE'S TAKING PRESCRIBED CELEXA!!!!! PUT HIM IN AN AA PROGRAM AT ONCE!!!!"

Cloud9, you find the craziest excuses to try to get out of overwhelming arguments against yours.
    Old July 12, 2003, 17:47   #120
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

I would like to commend the Pro-Apple-Debate-Term for being so diverse.

Agathon, Cloud9, Drake, Wiglaf...just awesome stuff.