View Poll Results: Should we attack the Ottomans in a few turns?
Yes 4 23.53%
No 13 76.47%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10, 2003, 01:13   #1
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ottoman War
Our peace proposal with the Ottomans ends in 3 turns. We have some attack units near the Ottoman city of Izmit. Should we attack?
Old July 10, 2003, 01:48   #2
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 07:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
hi ,

no , we should wait

have a nice day
Old July 10, 2003, 01:55   #3
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:24
During the last turn (650 BC) it was revealed that the Ottomans were working on Sun Tzu's which means they are in the middle ages and with knowledge of Feudalism.

Attacking the Ottomans has an advantage:

- First of all, they lack iron which means they won't be able to field pikes. S

- Izmit has horses and a fur.

- We can capture about 3 cites, perhaps 4 and we can sue for peace and get Feudalism.

- We upgrade our forces and go against the Iroquois.

There is a little problem though, we can't get Feud until we get Construction and Currency beforehand. That means we need to whore something or buy them from someone...and they are expensive.

Anyway, this is just a thought. Just consider that the Iroquois might get Feud and swords against pikes...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old July 10, 2003, 04:59   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:24
Sounds good. I was wondering why on earth we were going after the Iroquois without attacking the Ottomans first anyhow.
Old July 10, 2003, 09:04   #5
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 05:24
The Ottos are our b*t*h*s now. Leave them be for a bit. They have no iron. We will be able to pick them apart at our leasure. Plus they are commited to building a wonder in a near by city. Let them build a wonder and then take it. If they have started now, they will most likely build Sun Tzu's, Sistine's or Leo's. I think they will manage one of these three. It will be protected by spears (maybe muskets). We could net a FREE wonder. Get our techs from either the Iroquis (best if done quickly), the Zulu (next best choice if Iroquis get Pike) or the Celts (last choice. I don't want to see 2 move swords comming at us without Pikes to defend with). Leave the Ottos be for now.
Old July 10, 2003, 09:33   #6
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:24
I agree with Don and I think we need to get some Ironq cities sooner rather than later.
Old July 10, 2003, 09:52   #7
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 01:24
I'm undecided. Don makes some very valid points - and I have been a strong proponent of the "Iroq next" approach.

However - taking out the Ottoman should be relatively easy - and eliminates any possibility of a two front war.

And btw - I would very much like to see more warrior production for upgrades to swords and then med inf. This is our best short-term offensive option.

I agree that in the medium term - a large archer upgrade to beserkers will be needed.

Or - we stick with an archer campaign now - which means we go quickly before the Iroq get pikes. Either way, using swords or archers, if we are going to go after the Iroq - do it soon.

The archer campaign would give us a good base for later upgrade.

Anyways - some rambling thoughts.

Keep the debate going.
Old July 10, 2003, 10:53   #8
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I want to take out 5 iroq cities now. Later will be too late IMHO. That gets us our needed first lux (firs) and weekend the iroq significantly (these are their most fertal lands). Then we take out the ottomans. Then, we either finish off the iroq, or march west into celt and zulu lands. Also, we will need to time our golden age appropriatly. Time to think soon.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 10, 2003, 10:54   #9
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I'm wondering if in 3 turns that we should instead demand a tech from the Otts first?
Old July 10, 2003, 11:58   #10
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Let the Ottos build a wonder for us to grab later.

Smack the Iroq. around before they grow too large.
Old July 10, 2003, 12:24   #11
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
I say continue with our plans for the Iroquois. It's the concept of oscillating war. If we attack only the Ottomans then we can destroy them, but in the meantime it lets our other neighbors build peacefully. Oscillating war attacks multiple civs in succession so that none of them can get too big and challenge us. If we leave the Otto's for now then we can hopefully get a wonder from them when we crush them later, but we need to take the Iroquois down a bit before they get big and are able to tie us down with them instead of proceeding with our world conquest plans.
Old July 11, 2003, 15:36   #12
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

before we should go after the iro , we should secure our borders more firmly with the zulu , .....

have a nice day
Old July 11, 2003, 16:42   #13
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Look at the save Panag. The zulu are not comming any closser to us... we ahve a wall of spears on the mountains, and our cities are major forts.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 11, 2003, 20:32   #14
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Look at the save Panag. The zulu are not comming any closser to us... we ahve a wall of spears on the mountains, and our cities are major forts.

hi ,

seen it , but still dont like it , ...

we should take gnome

have a nice day
Old July 11, 2003, 21:57   #15
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Iroquois now, Ottomans later.

The Iroquois have iron, so we need to strike them before they can get pikemen everywhere. The Ottomans have no iron, so we can let them build their wonder, then take it later. We just have to take them out before they get musketmen everywhere.
Old July 12, 2003, 21:35   #16
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Iroquois now, Ottos later. As Jonny stated and others have stated.
Old July 12, 2003, 22:28   #17
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:24
Iroquois first.
Btw, I have some issues to deal in my RL... that's why I've been absent. As soon as possible, I'll be back!