Old July 10, 2003, 13:25   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Trappings of War: Volume XXI
The Trappings of War: Volume XXI
An UnOrthOdOx View of the Glory of War

I knelt quietly, taking in the beauty as the Moonlight streaming in through the slots in the ceiling reflected off the bronze plating, casting an eerie silver glow across the entire Temple.

I studied the mural that Aro had painted, contemplating whether I had been right to kill such a magnificent beast. I could see all the benefits that had come to the town as a result. Food and oil from the body, tools and building materials from the bones, clothing and armor from the skin, yes, this was a true bounty. The Dragon’s spirit, however, had somehow tapped itself into my soul. I knew I would always be haunted by it, that would be my curse for killing a God. It was one I would carry proudly, however, should it bring a better life to the people. I hoped that this Temple would stand as a testament to the fact that these WERE Gods, that our people may never forget that in the years to come when harvesting these Dragons would become an ordinary occurrence. We should always honor them, despite the need to take their lives.

“I thought I might find you here.”

“Hey, Aro.”

Aro came up and sat next to me, studying my face. “So, you finally believe it was a God?”

“I suppose.” I grinned “never would have expected that, huh?”

“No, not from an ornery old ass like you. Mind telling me what happened that night?”

I shook my head. “I’m not entirely sure at this point. Seems that our friend here has somehow become a part of me…I see things now…can feel his death…perhaps even my own.”

He only stared at me, not sure what to say. I grinned and nodded, knowing he was wondering what it could mean just like me. We sat there for some time, the light from the moon slowly faded as it drifted off into the horizon, and soon you could hear the sounds of the night begin to fade.

“Well, the sun’ll be up soon, and Hot Enamel has sent over those great new beasts as well as some odd looking new swords for this trainin’. What say we have a look before our class gets here, eh?”

“Anything to get my mind off this!” I smiled as I slowly stood and worked the stiffness out of my limbs.

And assortment of 50 mighty horses awaited in the training field that lay just outside of town. They had all been prepared, and I saw the new saddles were all ready, complete with the new ‘stirrups’. I recalled how Hot Enamel had shown me that these could be used as a platform on which to stand, where one could swing a sword with the full impact of their bodies.

Next to the horses, in a small hut to keep the weather out was an assortment of swords. Swords unlike any I had seen before. They were much longer than your traditional sword, yet were narrow and had a slight curve built into them. I could guess that the length was to suit them to being swung from horseback, but was completely lost for a reason for the curve. Picking one up, I tested the feel of it in my hand, taking a few mock swings. Surprisingly light for their size, I quietly wondered how Hot Enamel had come up with such a design. I strapped the sword across my back and led a horse out to the field before mounting up, Aro right beside me, it felt just like the old days of our campaigns.

We agreed to take a practice run at the dummies that had been set up down range a bit, neither of us too entirely sure how to manipulate these new saddles, or the new swords. Aro drove forward first. As he hurled down the range, I was shocked at the power and speed of these new horses. I watched as Aro stood in his stirrups and heaved a mighty swing, splitting his dummy in two. As he was trotting back, I ran that over in my mind again. It was wrong somehow. Horsemen were known for their spears, while these stirrups ALLOWED one to stand up, it was simply not a natural movement at a gallop. The horse slowed, negating the force of the charge. Course, once the first charge was completed, a spear was next to useless in close combat, then the platform and the sword would come quite in handy. Then it struck me.

Spurring my own mount forward, I grasped the sword tight, leaning forward on the mount urging it ever faster and brought the sword forward, directly in front. The length of the sword was perfect. It could act as a spear on the initial charge, hanging out front by just enough to be effective. Virtually flying down the field now, the horse and I moved as one, sword outstretched. I buried deep within the dummy, the force of the horse jerked my arm around, pulling the dummy full tilt as well before the sword slid silently out. The curve that had been designed into the sword made this all one natural movement. It truly was a work of art.

Aro apparently approved of what he had seen for as I turned around I saw he was already at the end of the field, striking the dummy with sword outstretched. As he slowed and bantered up to me, a great smile had broken across his face.

“Damn! These things may make me change my mind about swords!”

“Me too!” I laughed “fine piece of art Hot Enamel has made us.”

A sound pierced through the country air, seeming to come from everywhere at once. Followed quickly by a rumble that could only be the thundering masses of many horses, I turned to look at Mount Zen. Sure enough, a full contingent was coming off the mountain at full gallop, carrying Zen’s standard. The sound rang out again, and I could see it was coming from an odd horn that Master Zen had produced, apparently from a hollowed rib of the Dragon.

“Ah, this must be our students!” I called out to Aro.

He was simply staring. Following his gaze, I could make out Eira in the back. Now grown tall and strong, a fine soldier coming home.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 10, 2003, 14:03   #2
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 01:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nice
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old July 10, 2003, 14:14   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Ooooooooooh. Riders.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 10, 2003, 14:21   #4
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:26
Another excellent volume UnO!
Where is Aro anyway these days?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old July 10, 2003, 14:25   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Aro is recording music with his band. Trying to juggle that with his regular work has taken his time away.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 10, 2003, 15:29   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Cool.
Well, if he's reading this, good luck Aro!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old July 10, 2003, 17:38   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
So, Shiber, any intel for us?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 10, 2003, 17:47   #8
Shiber
Emperor

Yes, we moved the piano to the other side of the hall last turn, as per NYE's request.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old July 11, 2003, 07:59   #9
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

Yes, we moved the piano to the other side of the hall last turn, as per NYE's request.
And who did you crush in the process? That's what inquiring minds want to know.