Only if I can use my Banana of Doom +2. 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 10, 2003, 14:42   #1
MattH
King

Local Time: 05:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
'Poly D&D?
Say, does anybody want to play a 'Poly Dungeons+Dragons game? We could run a right cool campaign here... or somewhere else, if the mods don't want the spam.

I've thought about how the dice rolling could be done
It would be a web script (on a seperate page), where you'd select the number of dice and how many sides they have. You'd allso enter a name for the roll, like "sight check outside Kalpatron Palace". The program would generate the numbers and store them in a text file. That way there would be no questions as to the validity of four 6's in a row .
Old July 10, 2003, 14:51   #2
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

I think it's a fine idea!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 10, 2003, 14:58   #3
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 02:26
I don't play D&D, so I voted banana.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:02   #4
MattH
King

I got the thought from that thread of yours, Vel. Seeing how many people play the game...
Old July 10, 2003, 15:04   #5
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

I wish I had the time to run another game....especially one in this particular setting....that'd be good stuff....can't do it just yet tho, but I'd sure love to sit in sometimes and see how it developed!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:06   #6
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 00:26
I have to know the game?
No patient, kind, helpful game teachers ?

Puh-lease ?
Old July 10, 2003, 15:06   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:26
Vel, the great roleplayer .
Old July 10, 2003, 15:07   #8
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 22:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Where would that text file be stored?
Who would check it to report the rolls?
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:11   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Vel, the great roleplayer .
Old July 10, 2003, 15:12   #10
geeslaka
Prince

Where would that text file be stored?
Who would check it to report the rolls?
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:13   #11
Q Classic
Emperor

i wouldn't mind.

although i myself would prefer paranoia.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:17   #12
MattH
King

Sloww: I crafted the poll title hoping that people who think D&D is a waste of time wouldn't vote... Of course beginners would be welcome. Unless you were kidding, in witch case SDNWOTI .

geeslaka: I would host the script and text file. The rolls would be numberd. When you replied to the post, you'd submit the result and the roll #. Every once and a while, someone (me, helpful player) would check some of the rolls with the text file to see that no-one was cheating. But it would primarilarly be based on the honour system.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:23   #13
Solver
lifer
Deity

I think it should be obvious that D&D is NOT a waste of time .
Old July 10, 2003, 15:34   #14
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Have to come out of the closet... I play D&D about once a month with a group of friends that include my roommate, his brother and some others.

Oh, the shame!

Actually, it's a good excuse to get together with some fun people and eat, drink and laugh. Thankfully, none of our group are the really awful D&D geek types like I saw in college (the kind who dressed up in costumes and went to Renaissance Fairs).
Old July 10, 2003, 15:35   #15
Oerdin
Deity

I slay you with my Banana +2.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:42   #16
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:26
Re: 'Poly D&D?
Quote:
Originally posted by MattH
Say, does anybody want to play a 'Poly Dungeons+Dragons game? We could run a right cool campaign here... or somewhere else, if the mods don't want the spam.
IMHO, it should be done somewhere else on the boards. Maybe the Other Games forum...?

I'll try to participate. Whether it's 2E or 3E doesn't matter, but 3E's rules make more sense, IMHO.

What would the campaign setting be?
Old July 10, 2003, 15:42   #17
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 01:26
While I think the idea is really cool, I had to vote for the banana option. Fear the uber rogue sneak attack with Banana of Doom +2!

I have to admit, I like D&D better than any other PnP game I've tried (Shadowrun). Mostly because my Shadowrun philosophy went something like this: There is no problem for which there is not a solution involving large quantities of high explosives. You'd really think that a character with 7 INT (max starting int for human is 6) would know better than to use his 1point in Demolitions skill (1 in 6 chance of critical failure).

Anyone have a particular setting in mind? Also what version of the rules are we talking here? I personally can't claim I played too much before third edition, and 3.5 rules which are due out a bit later this month seem to improve on them slightly.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:43   #18
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Edit: operator error.

Last edited by SlowwHand; July 10, 2003 at 15:48.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:46   #19
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Newbies ruin D&D.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:47   #20
Velociryx
staff

I've only ever played first and second edition, but didn't really see much need for improvement beyond 2nd (I think mostly it was a ploy to sell additional books....most good GM's/DM's I knew had already compensated for everything the rules were lacking.

-=Vel=-
2nd Edition Bards RULE
Old July 10, 2003, 15:51   #21
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Everyone is a newbie at first, Boris.
Well. Not you, I know. You were born great.

If anyone, besides Boris, is up to teaching...
Old July 10, 2003, 15:52   #22
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Sig!
Old July 10, 2003, 15:57   #23
Velociryx
staff

There's really not a lot to teach, Master Sloww. You take on the role of a fantasy oriented charater who is essentially either a warrior, priest, thief or wizard (there are shades of grey and a staggering number of "subsets" of these, but those are the basics). You generate a character using a method that the Game Master approves of, and he's your guy. You work with the GM to come up with a history and background for your character (working with the GM ensures that "you" mesh with the general background fairly well, or that if you don't, there's a built in explanation for why not), your character's stats and abilities are largely used to determine your % chances for doing the various things you'll attempt during the course of the game, and as to your own actions....well, they're entirely up to you.

The GM outlines a story and sets the stage....gets the ball rolling by presenting a scenario which you respond to, "in character," and that is how the game moves along....GM and player interaction driving the story to places neither one ever really considered before the story begins (the GM may have some broad based ideas in mind, but the particulars--at least in all the best, most memorable games--are usually things that get made up on the spot.

One part armchair acting, one part group storytelling....that's the essence of it.

-=Vel=-
Old July 10, 2003, 15:57   #24
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 06:26
Top idea!!, count me in!!

I havn't played for 15 years or so (AD&D) but I've got the basics (It can't have changed THAT much, right?)
Old July 10, 2003, 16:01   #25
Solver
lifer
Deity

Armchair acting is good, it's the storytelling that's hard .
Old July 10, 2003, 16:04   #26
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I've played Baulders Gate. Does that count?
Old July 10, 2003, 16:06   #27
Solver
lifer
Deity

No. Paper RPGs are different.
Old July 10, 2003, 16:06   #28
Boris Godunov
Emperor

3rd edition rules are fairly different than AD&D. Lots of improvements, and they're tweaking them to weed out the game-busting rules.

Neverwinter Nights is the first computer game to put the 3rd edition rules to use. Pick it up, it's very much worth it.
Old July 10, 2003, 16:07   #29
Velociryx
staff

An example for Sloww

Let’s say you came to me and said that you wanted to be some type of warrior….so we drew up a warrior character for you…got your stats and background all worked out….now, what to do next?

Well, in this setting (on the forums), the GM would set the tone and the stage, perhaps with something like this:

OoO

The cry of seagulls.

Sounds of waves crashing.

Sunshine on your face.

It all begins to come back to you now, as if in a dream.

You bought passage on the cargo ship Halliman in the port city of Wrenn, largest coastal city of the Duchy of Pendrel, with hopes of traveling to the vast deserts of Zarhesh, where it is rumored, the great Sultan of that land is outfitting an expedition to search for a lost city, buried somewhere beneath the burning sands of that place.

Fighting men always have a place in such expeditions, and you saw it as a way to make a name for yourself. Besides, if the city was discovered, imagine the riches! A powerful lure indeed.

Some three weeks into the voyage, however, the Halliman encountered a savage storm.

The last thing you remember was attempting to go topside to see if you could lend a hand...then….nothing save waking up here.

The beach is far from deserted. As you sit up and try to get your bearings and gather your wits about you, you spy the hulking remains of the once proud ship that got you this far….smashed and ruined on fiercely jutting rocks.

Cargo containers litter the beach, and a good many more are floating idly in the lagoon you washed up into. Nearby, there are four other bodies washed up on the shore, but from this distance, it is impossible to tell if they’re living or dead.

As you contemplate your unexpected situation, drumbeats sound from the land’s interior….

OoO

And from there, you would respond with some notion of what you plan to do….

-=Vel=-
Old July 10, 2003, 16:12   #30
Japher
Emperor

My wife would kill me if I broke out the D&D stuff again...

I have the PHB, DMG, and Psionics Handbook for the 3rd edition, not a big fan of it. I also hated the 2nd edition Player's Option books (Skills and Powers stuff).

Let me know what you guys decide... May be I will, maybe I won't. I will just have to keep the trunk of books closed until she ain't looking...